HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 6:55 PM

LOl I can't stop laughing at that lady

My win lose ratio... sort of lost count, but it's somewhere around 1/13

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 8:36 PM

I can't believe how much good luck some of you have...

My coworkers love Tim's so I go there on the regular, but I am roughly 1/30 so far.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Well I count mine and my wifes daily as we both go at the same time thus same order. So I think it is fair to include it in the ratio right?

Now average day we each have 6 cups, 3 each. and that is 5 days a week, and usually 4 per weekend day, 2 each per day.

So 38 cups per week. She always gets Large ( old XL ) and me Med ( old L ), Same Tims 90% of the time.

Of those 38 cups, we usually get 1 stinken coffee. It seems to get worse every single year. We have tried the old routine of different sizes etc, still a bunch of losers.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 11:05 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Well I count mine and my wifes daily as we both go at the same time thus same order. So I think it is fair to include it in the ratio right?

Now average day we each have 6 cups, 3 each. and that is 5 days a week, and usually 4 per weekend day, 2 each per day.

So 38 cups per week. She always gets Large ( old XL ) and me Med ( old L ), Same Tims 90% of the time.

Of those 38 cups, we usually get 1 stinken coffee. It seems to get worse every single year. We have tried the old routine of different sizes etc, still a bunch of losers.
You are spending more on Tim Hortons in a week (about $75) than I do on my hydro bill every month (about $70). You are spending $300 a month on Tim Hortons. To win a free coffee. I get a better deal on haircuts: I only have to spend $100 to get one free, and it only costs 5 dollars a month.

But hey, it's your money... I hope you won't be offended if I ignore any budget advice you ever try to give me.

I recently got a hot chocolate from Robin's and forgot about their Sip to Win contest. It wasn't until I was almost home that I realized I threw the cup away without checking it. At least the hot chocolate tasted like chocolate. So I guess I am 0/2.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 1:37 AM

^ I was going to say the same thing...

In ten years time, that amounts to close to $40,000 spent on Tim Hortons coffee...

You could actually get the "top prize" Toyota without even having to roll up the rim... in a few years' time... paid cash from the net savings generated by avoiding Tim's.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 2:19 AM
Mooderator

2/6 so far for me.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
^ I was going to say the same thing...

In ten years time, that amounts to close to $40,000 spent on Tim Hortons coffee...

You could actually get the "top prize" Toyota without even having to roll up the rim... in a few years' time... paid cash from the net savings generated by avoiding Tim's.
I think a lot of people spend more money than they think on coffee from anywhere period. I spend $2.83 everyday of the week on Second Cup. Over $1000.00 per year just on morning coffee.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You are spending more on Tim Hortons in a week (about $75) than I do on my hydro bill every month (about $70). You are spending $300 a month on Tim Hortons.
Quitting coffee would save him/her far more money than quitting smoking ever did for me. But the cost is always one of those big things people use to try to encourage smokers to quit. Kinda funny, that.

That's almost a pack-a-day coffee habit, even with today's high tobacco prices. Insane. I realize this is split between 2 people, but still. Wow.

Smartest thing I ever did after quitting smoking. With most of the same benefits (cost, breath, health, etc).

Last edited by freeweed; Mar 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Quitting coffee would save him/her far more money than quitting smoking ever did for me. But the cost is always one of those big things people use to try to encourage smokers to quit. Kinda funny, that.
If I had to try to encourage someone to quit smoking... I'd start by showing him/her that awesome ad... (you'll have to dust off your French to understand it )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSWfyx7pgfk

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:50 AM

Has anyone ever taken advantage of the "No Purchase Necessary" disclaimer? The disclaimer says you can obtain a free Roll Up cup by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

P.O. Box 9296
Saint John, New Brunswick
E2L 4Y8

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Has anyone ever taken advantage of the "No Purchase Necessary" disclaimer? The disclaimer says you can obtain a free Roll Up cup by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

P.O. Box 9296
Saint John, New Brunswick
E2L 4Y8
So you spend a dollar and change on postage, plus whatever the envelope/card costs, plus your time - for the chance to win a free coffee that's worth about 30 cents?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 3:52 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
You are spending more on Tim Hortons in a week (about $75) than I do on my hydro bill every month (about $70). You are spending $300 a month on Tim Hortons. To win a free coffee. I get a better deal on haircuts: I only have to spend $100 to get one free, and it only costs 5 dollars a month.

But hey, it's your money... I hope you won't be offended if I ignore any budget advice you ever try to give me.

I recently got a hot chocolate from Robin's and forgot about their Sip to Win contest. It wasn't until I was almost home that I realized I threw the cup away without checking it. At least the hot chocolate tasted like chocolate. So I guess I am 0/2.
Some people spend money on Tim Horton's because

a) They enjoy consuming the product
b) They have money to spend, so why not?

It is a lot though, I mean Christ... they should give him a quantity discount or something

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 6:57 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
a) They enjoy consuming the product
b) They have money to spend, so why not?
Do they?

Life must be pretty fucking complete if spending $300 of your disposable income on cheap coffee every month is something you want to do.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 7:25 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Do they?

Life must be pretty fucking complete if spending $300 of your disposable income on cheap coffee every month is something you want to do.
Honestly, you don't even know. I've worked for plenty of people for whom $300 is literally just pocket change; this includes both white-collar and blue collar bosses (although since the latter was buying the coffee in question for his employees, it could have been considered part of the "compensation package"). At the end of the month, as a portion of their total income, at best it's barely even material; like 2-4%.

Not everyone is poor like us.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 8:04 PM
I am a typical

But then that isn't representative of Tim Horton's customer base. If it is, Thunder Bay must be a lot wealthier than the people who live here claim to be...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2013, 8:51 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
But then that isn't representative of Tim Horton's customer base. If it is, Thunder Bay must be a lot wealthier than the people who live here claim to be...
While like any addictive, pointless, and potentially harmful drug I find coffee addiction and its expense a bit... irrational - Tim's addictions are far from the only thing people plow money into that could be better spent elsewhere.

Although I doubt there's a Coach store in T.Bay, I bet you've seen the purses floating around. Carried by people who probably make $20,000/year, at best. Or people who regularly travel to the "big city" to spend $150 on a concert ticket.

We really are a ridiculously wealthy society.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 2:58 AM
I am a typical

He didn't insinuate that people are spending beyond their means to have luxuries, though. (I can totally see people putting hundreds of dollars worth of Tims on their credit cards; most of my credit card transactions are at my local delis.) He insinuated that for "plenty of people", $300 a month on Tim Hortons is "literally pocket change".

If I had $300 worth of change on my I would be pissed. Have you ever held $10 worth of pennies? It's fucking heavy!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 9:12 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
But then that isn't representative of Tim Horton's customer base.
I think contractors (blue-collar) are a pretty major customer, from what I've seen. McDonalds is also widely liked, but you'd be mocked for bringing Starbucks on the job

Tim Hortons is honestly something that is enjoyed (at least marginally) by people from all walks of life. If you take a look at something like, oh, the Scotia Plaza Timmies in Toronto or the TD-City Centre location in London, you can see legions of white collar workers lining up to get their morning dosage, as well as support workers, transit workers, electricians, drywallers, even friggin' vagrants (or at least people who look it). Everyone here criticizes it for being swill, but it's way better than the no-name crap that many offices stock their coffee makers with.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
I think contractors (blue-collar) are a pretty major customer, from what I've seen. McDonalds is also widely liked, but you'd be mocked for bringing Starbucks on the job

Tim Hortons is honestly something that is enjoyed (at least marginally) by people from all walks of life. If you take a look at something like, oh, the Scotia Plaza Timmies in Toronto or the TD-City Centre location in London, you can see legions of white collar workers lining up to get their morning dosage, as well as support workers, transit workers, electricians, drywallers, even friggin' vagrants (or at least people who look it). Everyone here criticizes it for being swill, but it's way better than the no-name crap that many offices stock their coffee makers with.
I've found office coffee to vary widely, depending on where I've worked. There's no lack of people out there who only drink Starbucks, and wouldn't be caught dead drinking Tim Hortons - not because of taste, but because of the image. They tend to be the overly sophisticated young professionals crowd who go out of their way to spend their weekends in Toronto because whatever city they live in isn't good enough for them.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:16 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Everyone here criticizes it for being swill, but it's way better than the no-name crap that many offices stock their coffee makers with.
My work gets its coffee from Van Houtte and it is actually pretty good. It's the only coffee that I enjoy black. And I don't actually like coffee. The deli up the street has a Keurig machine and I only like two of its flavours (out of, like, 9 so far).

I still don't think that most of the people buying Tim Horton's on a regular basis can really afford it, and I am sure most of them would re-think what they're doing if they received one large monthly bill for it instead of 20 small daily bills.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada