HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 2:50 PM

Bottom line, this doesn't fit with the rest of the site. It just doesn't, and if they can't see that, they are blind.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:09 PM

My issue with 2wtc is that it doesn't fit with the others the site, it looks way out of place, & also it looks way too generic looking. Especially at night, it will just look like some bland glass office tower. Not nearly iconic enough. I saw some more renderings & the thing is absolutely hideous the boxes look like they're about to fall over. Just build a twin of 1wtc. That's the best thing they can do at this point.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:15 PM
BANNED

It's my turn to play Chicken Little.

The sky is falling in LA, SF, and Chicago because those cities' first and second tallest buildings which are under construction are horrible eyesores!!

Armageddon is near!!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:32 PM
N40° 46.8925', W073° 57.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post

No. The northern border of FiDi is the Brooklyn Bridge to the east and Murray Street to the west.
I think you misunderstood my statement. While it's is not Tribeca officially, I had said it is CONSIDERED to be.

If you want to be anal about it, the official southern border of Tribeca is not Murray street as it is Chambers Street.

The boundary of Tribeca has been and still is up for debate.

Parsing Tribeca's Slightly Shifting Borders & Unused Names
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...used_names.php

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Ewing View Post

The sky is falling in LA, SF, and Chicago because those cities' first and second tallest buildings which are under construction are horrible eyesores!!

Armageddon is near!!
Just a reminder, this thread is about 2 WTC and not about which cities have better buildings. Stay on topic.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Comical! If this tower were rising in your city, you'd be elated!

PS: I forgot to add Comcast in Philly.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:47 PM

Quote:
H

3 WTC did not lose its spires.

This tower is stunning. This is much taller than and a million times better than Salesforce, Wilshire Grand, and Wanda Chicago, yet SF, LA, and Chi are creaming over those towers.

Houston, Dallas, Atl., Charlotte, Denver, and Austin are creaming over lame 20 story boxes. Cinci, Phoenix, New Orleans, etc would be jubilant if a 20 story box were proposed for their cities.

If this tower was proposed for London -- at half the height -- it would already have some dopey nickname.

Only in the greatest city in the world could someone find fault with this masterpiece. If one of those horrible Dubai-style towers (but for the Burj) were rising here, I'd be upset, but this thing is stunning.

1. Nordstrom 1,500'+
2. Steinway 1,430'
3. One Vandy 1,415'
4. 432 Park 1,398'
5. Time Warner 1,280'
6. Park Lane 1,250'
7. Verre 1,050'
8. Girasole 1,050'
9. 35 HY 1,050'

This is the Age of Ramses, lads!

Please. The towers you mentioned in other cities are far superior to this pos.

I could replicate this tower with legos in about 5 minutes. Those other towers actually have some character.

But yeah, let's all just sit here and act like a bunch of boxes stacked on each other somehow pays homage to the 9/11 complex. If anything, it pays homage to the garbage built in the 80's.

If this complex is our "bigger and better!" answer to the terrorists, we should be embarrassed. Other than the memorial, it has been nothing but a symbol of value engineering, greed, and bait-n-switch tactics....

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:47 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Comical! If this tower were rising in your city, you'd be elated!

PS: I forgot to add Comcast in Philly.
Well, my city is New York, and I'm not elated. Nor would I want this to be the tallest building in any of the cities you listed - a few of which I've lived in.

My problem really is with the cantilevering boxes that make the profile fatter as it gets higher.

I have a personal aversion to buildings that get wider as they get higher. I can’t think of any building anywhere that has pulled this off elegantly, although it seems to be a motif that is rearing its ugly head again in contemporary architecture.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:59 PM

Quote:

Armageddon is near!!
Just stop. I live in NYC and statements like this embarrass me.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
Please. The towers you mentioned in other cities are far superior to this pos.

I could replicate this tower with legos in about 5 minutes. Those other towers actually have some character.

But yeah, let's all just sit here and act like a bunch of boxes stacked on each other somehow pays homage to the 9/11 complex. If anything, it pays homage to the garbage built in the 80's.

If this complex is our "bigger and better!" answer to the terrorists, we should be embarrassed. Other than the memorial, it has been nothing but a symbol of value engineering, greed, and bait-n-switch tactics....
If you think that Wilshire Grand, Salesforce, and that idiotic Wanda tower are superior to this, then that simply validates your New York bias.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:19 PM

I don't know, I get the feeling the redevelopment of the WTC site has been vastly chewed up now because of this and WTC3 losing its spires. I can't help but feel at least some of the blame falls on Silverstein. He is the one giving in to all these changes, making value engineering cuts. Like maybe they should have had fewer towers involved in the redevelopment or something. Now its going to be a hodgepodge of aretchiture that was never really complete.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:24 PM

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I rather like it. And the thing I like most about is that it appears to be moving forward. Good God! it's been a long time since 2001.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:26 PM

Holy hell, this Jenga/block architecture nonsense has to end. Architects: If you're watching a two year old stack blocks and sketching the result, you're doing it wrong.

The only angle this building looks good from is from the memorial. Precisely because that's the angle that hides all the nonsense going on in back.

From the north the building doesn't soar or inspire. It leans clumsily to the side like it's about to fall over, like a kaiju just smacked the shit out of it using cartoon physics.

Without the twisting cantilevers it'd be passable, if it just stood up straight. If they want to preserve the sightlines to the church, then make a shape that does that without leaning over. But this is childish junk.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:39 PM

I wonder if property values at 99 church street will take a dip since the tenants looking south now need to see these giant blocks every day.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:43 PM

Surely one of these modifications would help...

The second one is more consistent with 1WTC's sloping façade.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:44 PM

My opinion hasn't changed.

I would like to leave you all with a quote courtesy of SomeKindOfBug at SSC..

"It has all the elements of 4WTC that I adore. Clean edges, smooth, large surfaces. And it compliments its surroundings better.

In fact, one could argue that while the new design is certainly worse overall than Foster's original, it is more in-sync with the rest of the new WTC site.

The steps on the back are a nice buttress to the knife edge at the front. It looks better from all angles than the original, which played weird tricks with perspective due to the diamond crown. It creates a more complete skyline y not standing out as much. It feels a part of the complex, rather than a standalone project.

Also, I really didn't like how the original paid dues to the memorial. It felt mawkish to constantly draw attention to it with the crown, so I'm glad that element has gone.

What the new WTC does well, and better than any other cluster in the world, is clean, crisp, smooth modernism. It's shards of glass emerging from a pile of bricks. It is the future above the history and grandeur of lower Manhattan.

This new design is also more of a twin to 1WTC. It shares elements and stands alongside it. Lower than the original, but more impressive because of the geometric shapes.

At worst, I think it's a step sideways. I loved the original design, but always felt it was too unique for the complex. This newer one, while less of an innovation, is certainly more complimentary."

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
If you think that Wilshire Grand, Salesforce, and that idiotic Wanda tower are superior to this, then that simply validates your New York bias.
you have got to be kidding me.

Wilshire and Salesforce towers are way better than this. and say what you will about that wanda proposal, at least it isnt just a stack of boxes. honestly the wanda tower looks more interesting than any of them

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:49 PM

Amazing. It seems that the Downtown Alliance predicted this change a decade ago...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 4:56 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 5:06 PM

You are a genius

Everyone is right about toddlers. Were these developers drunk that night when they approved this contraption?

At least this building inspires little kids, if you can imagine it, you can build it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Surely one of these modifications would help...

The second one is more consistent with 1WTC's sloping façade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction