HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:09 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yup, its a very easy program. I love it! You can organize and edit pictures without changing the original file so its like you never even edited the picture! But if you want to upload something you export the image in a jpeg and you can share! You can also organize in a thing called catalogs but I never use them. I also never tag but maybe I should.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 9:17 PM

What do you mean export? Like save it as a file in a normal folder? I really prefer my current organisation of photos, I don't want it all in Lightroom organised...I'm just interested in it's editing capabilities and then when I'm done editing...saving it as a file in my photography folders.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 1:25 AM
Watchin em grow

You can export a file to any location that you wish. There is a default folder but you have the option.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 5:02 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I've been looking for it but haven't found it in either Saskatoon or Regina. Staples doesn't have it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 5:10 AM

Do they have Future Shop or Best Buy (probably dumb question but...) out in Saskatchewan? Any sort of local computer shop? Camera stores? I wouldn't know where to look outside of that, because that is the type of place they are in Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I've been looking for it but haven't found it in either Saskatoon or Regina. Staples doesn't have it.
You can get it online either directly from various places, 2 that I know of off the top of my head is Adobe and Amazon.ca. I would hold off on being a copy as Adobe has just released 3.0 in Beta.

If and when you do but it, check out Scott Kelby's books on Lightroom.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 6:32 AM
So very tired...

People still buy software in boxes from a store? How quaint...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 7:35 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Since the picture you edit "isn't" a real picture, you need to export it to upload it on the internet, open it in photoshop, view it on windows viewer... it doesn't affec the original file. so you export it so that you can do all other stuff like a normal picture. You. Can change the file format into jpeg, tiff, add (adobe photoshop or whatever it is) and other formats. Of course, you need to exporrt it as jpeg to upload it online.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 2:17 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Well I could get it online and have it sent home, but then I'd have to wait until mind December to use it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Well I could get it online and have it sent home, but then I'd have to wait until mind December to use it.
If you go to Adobe, you can download it directly onto your computer.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Since the picture you edit "isn't" a real picture, you need to export it to upload it on the internet, open it in photoshop, view it on windows viewer... it doesn't affec the original file. so you export it so that you can do all other stuff like a normal picture. You. Can change the file format into jpeg, tiff, add (adobe photoshop or whatever it is) and other formats. Of course, you need to exporrt it as jpeg to upload it online.
I'm sure this will make more sense if/when I get it. So I have to export the edited picture somehow to photoshop (I have Elements) and then save it as a reg. file in Photoshop essentially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
What's wrong with that? I prefer a real store experience in reality than otherwise personally.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 5:27 PM
Watchin em grow

Lightroom as any RAW editor is a viewer for the information in the .raw file. It in a sense processes the file so that you can view it. You then are able to add information on top of the file in layers like putting mylar sheets over a photo and drawing on them. The changes only happen to the sheets. When you export the file what you are doing is taking a combined image of the layers and exporting them to a saved and viewable file while leaving your .raw as was for any further work.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 5:28 PM

And what if you don't shoot photos in RAW? Is the program then not worth it?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 6:07 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
What's wrong with that? I prefer a real store experience in reality than otherwise personally.
Nothing's wrong with that if you're buying something more physically tangible than a sequence of one's and zeros, like say something that you can hold and look at. Clearly you've decided on this software before going to the store, so what do you need the personal touch for? It is somewhat redundant to get in your car (or ride the bus) to some store somewhere to purchase a disc that comes in a giant box full of excessive packaging for a product that you can easily download over the internet in less than five minutes.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 9:34 PM
Watchin em grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
And what if you don't shoot photos in RAW? Is the program then not worth it?
It will still work the same way but you will not have the full dynamic range to edit. It is worth shooting in .raw though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 6:58 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

So this guy is selling an used 50mm 1.4D for 275 bucks. Buy it new for 300+ or used and save around 75 bucks?

It's obvious I won't get a Tokina 11-16 by Christmas so I'm either getting an SB-600 or a 50mm 1.4D and then I still want a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 8:26 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Actually, I think I'll get the 50mm 1.8 instead of the 1.4 It's SOOOO much cheaper... which means I can save up for my Tokina. The bokeh isn't as good on the 1.8 but it's still pretty good. I've seen some shots and the 1.8 seems sharper and for now I'm really more concerned with sharpness than bokehness. Who knows, I might even be able to get the SB-600 and the 50mm 1.8d!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 1:19 PM
Watchin em grow

Have you thought about the 35mm 1.8?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 3:12 PM
International

They don't call the f/1.4 lenses "cream machines" for nothing.

You should just try both out...there's a reason for 50mm f/1.4 lenses, despite their relative affordability, are considered by pro's to be a "must-have."

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 7:11 PM

I'm pretty sure my next lens will be the 50mm f1.8, it seems like a must have for many, and I like it's capabilities and hear nothing but good news (save the plasticyness of it) about that lens, especially for the price. I'd go for that one honestly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography