HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 1:29 PM

Greetings from Moncton! I agree and I also hope WestJet would keep a flight all year round to Hamilton from here. I much prefer that rather than Toronto. I have family in Burlington and I was born and raised in Windsor. My question to peeps on here is: UPS, what kind of aircraft does UPS currently use out of Hamilton. Not sure how many people are aware but the air cargo between YHM and YQM is quite busy. Like Hamilton, Moncton is one of the aircargo hubs in this region. We have a Fedex service (morning eastbound from Montreal Mirabel - Moncton - Halifax) and westbound in the early evening Halifax-Moncton-Mirabel. Cargojet arrives from YHM around 3am and heads towards Halifax - St. John's and returns to YHM. Currently we also have 2 Purolator flights each way...early morning morning eastbounds from Mirabel and YHM to YQM and then one heads to Halifax and the other to St. John's. In the evening they both return...from St. John's it arrives at 1930ish and from Halifax around 2040ish and both take off around 2130ish. The one from Halifax usually takes off first heading towards YHM and the other one to Mirabel. It makes for plane spotting at YQM quite interesting. The reason I had mentioned UPS is because UPS is moving to the Atlantic region at full force and its going to use Moncton and Halifax as their regional hubs. This will replace one of the Purolator flights as one of the aircraft is leased by UPS for this region. Has anyone in Hamilton heard of any service increases for this region? Thank-you in advance

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:39 PM

UPS Operates a 6x weekly flight to and from SDF with a 757-200 althought from time to time they use an A300 or 767.

From here I beleive some of this gets transfered to Cargojet regionsla flights as well as skyline to various small communities in ontario such as Windsor Kingston and other locals. My wife mocks me because two of these such flights arrive around 9pm nightly and when I see them over my house I know roughly the time.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 5:04 PM

UPS's flights to their main hub is with there own aircraft. There have been a few nights this month in and out of Hamilton (YHM) where they have had 2 flights. All of their domestic flights are handled by Cargojet who's main hub is in Hamilton. Here is there freighter schedule.

http://www.cargojet.com/assets/FILES/CARGOJET_SCHD.pdf

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
My wife mocks me because two of these such flights arrive around 9pm nightly and when I see them over my house I know roughly the time.
Heh. When I used to live/work in SW London, UK we had a similar thing in our office with Concorde's final approach...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:31 PM

Those Bearskin surveys seem to have already closed :/

Too bad. I can think of a dozen people at work I could have forwarded that to, who have groups that would be interested (in addition to the one I'm involved with).

YUL and YOW would definitely be of interest to people where I work.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:23 PM

WestJetters vote 91 per cent in favour of regional airline

Quote:
News Releases

WestJetters vote 91 per cent in favour of regional airline

Airline moves to aircraft selection as next step

CALGARY, Feb. 8, 2012 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced its employees have voted overwhelmingly - 91 per cent - in favour of the launch of a regional airline as a wholly owned subsidiary of WestJet.

"The opportunity presented to WestJetters has been very well received and I thank them for their input and consideration in this important matter," said Gregg Saretsky, WestJet President and CEO. "Clearly, WestJetters have recognized and embraced that the service we have provided for 16 years is in demand in even more communities across Canada. Bringing WestJet to these communities will benefit Canadians while providing increased shareholder value. We now look forward to planning the launch of this new airline as early as 2013."

"There are not many organizations that would put such a strategic decision in front of the employees for their input and approval," commented Antonio Faiola, WestJet Flight Attendant, Board Member and Chair of PACT, WestJet's employee association. "I am proud to work for a company that puts such tremendous importance on culture and the relationship with WestJetters."

With approval from the Board of Directors to proceed with implementation of a low-cost regional airline, WestJet will move to the next stage of planning by sending requests for proposals to two aircraft manufacturers: Bombardier for the Q400 NextGen and ATR for the ATR 72-600.
http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index....item=633&mrd=0

I know the Hamilton Airport has been actively campaigning WestJet to set up their regional hub and maintenance base out of Hamilton.

I know that they have been in talks with four different airlines to come into Hamilton.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:48 PM
It's Hammer Time

With the Q400 NextGen and ATR 72-600 how far could they go from Hamilton? Hamilton to say Chicago? Hamilton to Halifax? To Florida?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 5:09 PM

Max range for Q400 nextgen is about 1000 nautical miles (about 1800 km). For typical destination distances just refer to Porter flights from YTZ as they use Q400's for their flights.

I believe all the destinations you mention would be within range for Q400's flying from YHM

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

From Porter

Looks like it can't go to Florida.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:08 PM

According to Webflyer's mileage calculator:

YHM-MCO - 1020 miles / 1640 km
YHM-TPA/PIE - 1060 miles / 1710 km

So the main tourist airports around Tampa/Orlando seem just out of range... but if a regional airline strategy considered other secondary airports, Gainesville and Daytona Beach could work:

YHM-GNV - 939 miles / 1510 km
YHM-DAB - 967 miles / 1560 km

I suspect GNV won't be high on the list, as it's not exactly a key tourist destination (although it's very close to my in-laws, so my family would be happy! )

DAB, however, could be an interesting market for them to consider. Depends on how close to the max range they can commit to, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:13 PM

Just plugged in Toronto City - St Johns (assuming that, from the map Steeltown posted earlier, Porter fly YTZ-YYT non-stop on a Q400 - which I don't know):

YTZ-YYT - 1310 miles / 2110km

Which, if the logic proposed above is valid, should mean any airport in FL would be feasible. YHM-MIA is 1200 miles / 1930km.

Interesting...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:44 PM

Turboprop service coming to Hamilton International

900CHML.com 2/9/2012

Hamilton's Munro International Airport may soon have a new regional airline with turboprop aircraft.

It comes from WestJet which has confirmed it will launch the regional airline as soon as next year.

The new carrier would serve such cities as Hamilton and Lethbridge, Alberta -- markets considered too small for WestJet's Boeing 7-37s.
The new airline will use turboprop aircraft.

WestJet is expected to place an order for the new turboprops by the end of this year.

http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1652332

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Hamilton eyes new WestJet regional airline

WestJet has confirmed a new no-frills regional service.

Kaz Novak/The Hamilton Spectator Source: The Hamilton Spectator

February 9, 2012
WestJet confirmed Wednesday it will launch a low-fare, no-frills regional airline, intensifying competition in smaller domestic markets with rival Air Canada for business and leisure class travellers.

“It’s the next logical step in WestJet’s evolution,” president and CEO Gregg Saretsky said in a conference call Wednesday.

Saretsky said he couldn’t yet say when the fleet will be delivered, nor announce market destinations or an exact launch date.

Hamilton airport officials have already been in talks with WestJet to bring the new regional service to Hamilton International.

Saretsky said employees of WestJet voted 91 per cent in favour of launching the regional carrier.

“This is the biggest game-changer in Canadian aviation since WestJet was founded in 1996,” said Robert Kokonis, president of airline consulting firm AirTrav Inc.

It’s good for travellers, who will have more choice, he said. “The biggest winner clearly, upfront, is the consumer.”

There are communities across the country where they’re only being served by Jazz or by other carriers and could benefit from some competition, Kokonis said.

Communities that WestJet doesn’t currently serve include Medicine Hat, Alta., Brandon, Man., and Fredericton and Saint John, N.B., he said.

Kokonis said Air Canada is a “very robust” competitor and will take on WestJet.
http://www.thespec.com/print/article/667968

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
From Porter

Looks like it can't go to Florida.
Sure you can - WestJet sends a 737 from YHM to MCO weekly in the winter.

While technically the turboprops can fly to Florida from YHM, I can't see the turboprops being used for a destination like MCO, they would be used for short run regional service. They can also be used to ferry in people from smaller markets to YHM and then onward on the 737's to larger markets like Orlando or Las Vegas. The ability to feed a 737 to these destinations from arriving regional airlines would help justify more frequent service, and potentially additional 737 destinations.

Last edited by markbarbera; Feb 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 11:26 PM

I could see a WJ regional airline serving YHM to some places like YUL/YOW and maybe even YQM - but I can't see them taking all their 737's out of the market, considering their existing Florida/Sunshine flights and Las Vegas flights do well and same with their service to YYC.

I suspect they might use the props to do markets that they only do in the high season, since there numbers aren't strong enough. So that would be YQM (Moncton) and YHZ (Halifax). The might also try Montreal/Ottawa again, but that didn't work so well when they were hubbed here (that I recall).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
While technically the turboprops can fly to Florida from YHM, I can't see the turboprops being used for a destination like MCO, they would be used for short run regional service. They can also be used to ferry in people from smaller markets to YHM and then onward on the 737's to larger markets like Orlando or Las Vegas. The ability to feed a 737 to these destinations from arriving regional airlines would help justify more frequent service, and potentially additional 737 destinations.
Good point... this could be an interesting strategy for Westjet. Use YHM as a hub for the short-hop LCC feeder services to connect with longer-range services, using the larger mainline aircraft that YHM is geared up to support (at least in terms of runway capability...)

I'll believe it when I see it, though

If AC decides to engage in a p1ssing match with Westjet out of YHM, increasing services and lowering costs for at least a while, I'll certainly be making the most of that (and can think of quite a few colleagues who will!)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 2:53 PM

Besides serving smaller markets with the smaller aircraft, I suspect that WestJet will mix up the aircraft type on some runs. Air Canada does this on the YUL/YOW runs using CRJ705, Embracer E90, A319, A320, A321 & B767’s aircraft at different times of the day. Even WestJet will change it up during the day using all 3 types of aircraft they have, B737-600/700/800’s, as the load demand changes to YUL/YOW. You could conceivably see a Windsor to YHM to YUL/YOW run with a smaller aircraft.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 5:57 PM

From an article appearing in Canadian Skies Magazine

Quote:
Hamilton International Airport starts 2012 on a 'hi' note
Friday February 17th 2012

Hamilton International Airport has started 2012 on the right footing, with 2011 having accomplished an increase passengers travelling during the summer and winter months. Passenger numbers grew by 4% in the winter as locals sought winter sunshine, and by as much as 5% on some of the summer as families took annual holidays. Hamilton also witnessed the introduction of successful new routes, additional airline partners commencing new operations at the airport and positive cargo figures.

New Routes & Additional Services
Transat Tours launched flights from the airport for the first time and is offering availability on flights to Cancun operating through to 15 April and Punta Cana until 21 April. This has more than doubled the route’s capacity for the winter season and increases accessibility to these destinations for the region. Transat Tours and Hola Sun are also marketing flights to the popular Cuban destinations of Holguin and Varadero, Cuba, which commenced in December and will operate through to 29 April. All of these flights are operated by Canjet on behalf of the tour operators.

In February WestJet launched an additional non-stop service between Hamilton and Orlando, complementing its existing weekly service on the route. In May WestJet confirmed its continued dedication to flying from the airport with the return of direct daily domestic flights linking Hamilton with Moncton, Halifax, Winnipeg and Edmonton, with Calgary available up to three times daily. The carrier introduced new non-stop flights to Las Vegas in September bringing one of the most requested US destinations to the region, and a route that far exceeded expectations in terms of passenger demand. November saw the return of WestJet’s direct winter-sun flights from Hamilton to Orlando, Punta Cana and Cancun, which will continue through until the end of April 2012.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:48 AM

Westjet ramped up its domestic service from YHM this week for the summer 2012 schedule with daily non-stop service to Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Moncton and Winnipeg. The service will be in place until the end of October.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

Westjet Airlines picks Bombardier Q400 planes for new regional service

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/a...gional-service

CALGARY - WestJet Airlines has selected Bombardier to supply the propeller aircraft it requires for a new regional service, putting to rest any doubt that the high-profile order would go to the Montreal-based plane manufacturer.

The Calgary-based airline announced Tuesday that it will take delivery of up to 45 of the Bombardier Q400 turboprop planes over the next six years. They will be used for a new regional service that WestJet expects to launch next year.

Until now the Calgary-based airline has exclusively used Boeing jets in its fleet.

There had been some speculation the order could go to a European rival of Bombardier (TSX:BBD.B), which is Canada’s largest aerospace company and the world’s third-largest aircraft maker after Boeing and Airbus.

“We are very impressed with the Q400,” said Gregg Saretsky, WestJet’s president and chief executive.

He acknowledged that WestJet had looked closely at planes by the European manufacturer ATR but ultimately chose the Bombardier planes due to their combination of range, speed and seating.

“We look forward to working with another great Canadian company,” Saretsky said.

The pricetag for the planes wasn’t immediately announced but it will be welcome news for Bombardier’s operations in Toronto, where the Q400s are assembled at the company’s Downsview factory.

WestJet says it has placed firm orders for 20 Bombardier Q400s and taken options on 25 others.

The order was announced as WestJet released its latest financial report, which included a record first-quarter profit.

Its net income was $68.3 million, or 49 cents, per diluted share; up from $48.2 million, or 34 cents per diluted share in the first quarter of 2011. Revenue was nearly $891 million, up from $772.4 million a year earlier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure