HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 10:48 PM

Funny how 2 years ago, Manfred saw no issue with this proposal lol. Probably the first giveaway to the union in negotiations, since there was no way the players would have been in favour anyway.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 12:36 AM

So now Montreal will have no new ballpark and no renovations for the big o to even host a grey cup or host world cup games. That's pretty sad for a city of Montreal 's stature and size.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
So now Montreal will have no new ballpark and no renovations for the big o to even host a grey cup or host world cup games. That's pretty sad for a city of Montreal 's stature and size.
Unless the endgame is the Rays moving to Montreal permanently

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Unless the endgame is the Rays moving to Montreal permanently
Possible but Nashville Charlotte and Vegas are strong contenders as well and the currency is in their favor.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:55 AM

My money would be on Nashville, I think they are pretty actively pursuing a team. Vegas is very likely the new home of the A's (good thing the Warriors got their new arena a couple years ago already, or Vegas might have made a clean sweep of Oakland teams lol).

But, I don't count Montreal out either.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 3:07 AM

Once Tampa and Oakland ballpark issues are settled mlb will likely expand to 32 teams as their presence in the growing us south is quite small with just 2 teams in Texas and 1 in Atlanta. Last I read Oakland sounds close now to actually building a new ballpark for the a's. Vegas Nashville Montreal and Charlotte are the contenders for expansion/relocation if Tampa relocates.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 8:40 PM

According to Bob Nightengale, MLB columnist in USA Today, Nashville & Montreal are MLB's top two expansion sites.

Given the hurdle cleared yesterday in Oakland regarding the Howard Terminal site, A's reporters/Oakland locals are saying they're about 3/4 of the way there.

Riding that momentum, I personally don't think the A's will go to Vegas; this seems like nothing more than a typical tactic that's been used for decades in sports.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 9:13 PM

Bronfman interview yesterday he didn't sound too interested in expansion and wasn't sure if montreal could handle a full mlb schedule rather than the summertime shared city model. I think because expansion would probably be far more expensive

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
That's interesting. It makes me wonder, what exactly is Olympic Stadium capable of handling these days? Is the roof project still on track? Is the intention to have it continue being used as a sports stadium for large events or are those days behind it?

Quote:
Bronfman interview yesterday he didn't sound too interested in expansion and wasn't sure if montreal could handle a full mlb schedule rather than the summertime shared city model. I think because expansion would probably be far more expensive
Not exactly a ringing endorsement IMO. I mean, Winnipeg could be a pretty good MLB city too if you let us have just the June, July and August games.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine that is what the MLB would want to hear from a potential ownership group trying to sell the league on Montreal lmao. What I am most surprised about is the fact that they actually believed the split city model would genuinely work best, and that it wasn't just a long-winded plan to move Tampa to Montreal.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 8:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I can't imagine that is what the MLB would want to hear from a potential ownership group trying to sell the league on Montreal lmao. What I am most surprised about is the fact that they actually believed the split city model would genuinely work best, and that it wasn't just a long-winded plan to move Tampa to Montreal.
The most surprising thing about the whole ordeal is that both the Rays ownershop and Bronfman thought their plan was solid and were shocked when the MLB shut the idea down. Bronfman going public with all of this doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's interesting. It makes me wonder, what exactly is Olympic Stadium capable of handling these days? Is the roof project still on track? Is the intention to have it continue being used as a sports stadium for large events or are those days behind it?
Think the roof plan is still set for 2024 but who knows at this point. Check back in after Quebec's election this summer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:41 PM
Community Guy

Crusaders lay out plans for $80M Event Centre
Author of the article: Lindsay Morey
Publishing date:Jan 28, 2022

https://www.sherwoodparknews.com/new...m-event-centre

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 1:21 AM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Not that I'm complaining, but it certainly appeared the attendance was above the 50% supposed limit. Commentators seemed to agree during the broadcast. What a wonderful atmosphere, anyhow.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
Not that I'm complaining, but it certainly appeared the attendance was above the 50% supposed limit. Commentators seemed to agree during the broadcast. What a wonderful atmosphere, anyhow.
Good for them if they got more people in!

Maybe they quietly relaxed some rules for the game? The bar around the corner from me was open, which I thought they weren't allowed to be until tomorow?

Lots of people out celebrating!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 2:20 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by savevp View Post
I think it's funny that the broadcasters, the manager, and the CSA president all kept repeating the line "12,000 fans" over and over again to make sure we knew that totally, definitely, there was not any more than that in the stadium.

Atmosphere was great. Hats off to Hamilton.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 2:55 AM

Yeah, no way there were only 12k there. I would say around 19-20k.

They dodged a bullet because just yesterday it was -11 with a windchill of -21. By comparison, today was balmy.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Crusaders lay out plans for $80M Event Centre
Author of the article: Lindsay Morey
Publishing date:Jan 28, 2022

https://www.sherwoodparknews.com/new...m-event-centre
Man, $80 million for a junior A arena. That is something. Although even the existing Sherwood Park Arena is pretty good... it makes Winnipeg's two junior A MJHL barns look like practice rinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Yeah, no way there were only 12k there. I would say around 19-20k.

They dodged a bullet because just yesterday it was -11 with a windchill of -21. By comparison, today was balmy.
I'm surprised that there are capacity limits for outdoor venues at all at this point in the pandemic, with so many people being vaccinated... I don't recall any outdoor CFL/CPL/MLS stadiums having any covid-related capacity limits since the final days of the CPL bubble in the early summer when attendance at IG Field was capped at 2,000.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 3:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm surprised that there are capacity limits for outdoor venues at all at this point in the pandemic, with so many people being vaccinated... I don't recall any outdoor CFL/CPL/MLS stadiums having any covid-related capacity limits since the final days of the CPL bubble in the early summer when attendance at IG Field was capped at 2,000.
MLS teams had to start the 2021 season in the US and had capacity restrictions for a good portion of their seasons. CFL teams, in Ontario at least, had capacity restrictions for half of their season.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:19 PM
I am the law!

I don't really have an opinion on capacities. I am one to err on the side of caution. I don't mind Ontario has been super conservative in pandemic protocols. People are still dying and spread only contributes to the chance of new variants nullifying the billions spent on vaccines. With that said, I'm ready to return to a greater sense of normality even if risks of spread are higher. It's been years. It's not going away until everyone, globally, is vaccinated which is not going to happen

Hospitalizations have been up in Ontario. Two shots isn't that effective against Omicron. You really need three to be say you are vaccinated.

77th ranked team in first place

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada