HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 6:52 PM

An extension of Lamont Terrace westbound past Home Depot to connect with the Circ would greatly improve traffic flow into and out of DC.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
An extension of Lamont Terrace westbound past Home Depot to connect with the Circ would greatly improve traffic flow into and out of DC.
Boy, would it! I've been yammering about that (just ask my eye-rolling family) ever since DC opened.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 8:04 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
1. build it wrong
2. watch the backup for twenty years
3. redo at tremendous expense and disruption
- sound familiar?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
1. build it wrong
2. watch the backup for twenty years
3. redo at tremendous expense and disruption
- sound familiar?
Well, sure. But you'd have to concede that DC was built an awful lot "less wrong" than Bayers Lake - to which absolutely zero forethought was applied.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Boy, would it! I've been yammering about that (just ask my eye-rolling family) ever since DC opened.
The biggest problem I see is that the area could only support entry/exit on the westbound lanes of the Circ, which would help, but still be suboptimal. To do it right, you would really need to redesign and rebuild the 111/118 interchange completely, which would be a big job.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 7:06 PM

Quote:
The biggest problem I see is that the area could only support entry/exit on the westbound lanes of the Circ, which would help, but still be suboptimal. To do it right, you would really need to redesign and rebuild the 111/118 interchange completely, which would be a big job.
I've always assumed that's the reason it wasn't done in the first place. Access to/from that end of the development just makes too much sense not to have done it otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 7:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I've always assumed that's the reason it wasn't done in the first place. Access to/from that end of the development just makes too much sense not to have done it otherwise.
God forbid Halifax City Hall considering anything that would improve the lot of the motoring public.

They might however consider a cycling lane for that area, paralleling the Circumferential Highway, complete with a dedicated flyover to improve bicycle access to Dartmouth Crossing from Highfield Park.......

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
God forbid Halifax City Hall considering anything that would improve the lot of the motoring public.

They might however consider a cycling lane for that area, paralleling the Circumferential Highway, complete with a dedicated flyover to improve bicycle access to Dartmouth Crossing from Highfield Park.......
Well, they built a pedestrian bridge over the Circ from Highfield that paralleled the overpass on Burnside Drive a decade or so ago. I presume cyclists use that.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No. as Keith suggested, it would be a logistically difficult, very disruptive and very expensive move. I can see why it wasn't done; I was just wishing otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 1:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
No. as Keith suggested, it would be a logistically difficult, very disruptive and very expensive move. I can see why it wasn't done; I was just wishing otherwise.
I was mostly joking of course. I realize the logistical difficulties of adding a connection to the circumferential in this location.

My humour is dark, often misunderstood, and based on cynicism due to the ongoing war against the car in the city planning department.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
To be honest, they should redesign and rebuild the 111/118 interchange, as it is a dog's breakfast. Even for people who are moderately familiar, it can be confusing and easy to pick the wrong exit and end up in the wrong spot. I can't imagine how much fun it must be for those who are not familiar. Anecdotally, from following the twitter traffic feeds and such, it seems to come up on the accident reports more than most other areas of the city.

IMHO, it seems like they took the cheapest method to integrate existing highways with the new section of Burnside, including DC, but cheapest is rarely better and in this case it was a failure. Dig it up, try again...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 7:26 PM

AllNS reported today on the development plans of North American Development Group (which owns Dartmouth Crossing). They are pouring footings on the first residential buildings (Finlay Drive behind Costco), which will be two towers (11 and 13 storeys) with a combined 285 units. They plan to build up to 25 buildings with up to 4,200 residential units over the next 10 years (land between Frenchman's Lake and Wright, and between Finlay and John Savage).

Their other residential developments across Canada/US look to be of pretty high quality so I'm excited to see how this area turns out.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:20 AM

There are crane pieces now onsite for the residential buildings.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 10:26 PM

Didn't get a picture, but there's a large new tower crane up in Dartmouth Crossing, at the top of Shubie Drive on the west side of Findlay. Across from the Mariott Courtyard in the new undeveloped section.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 11:14 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Didn't get a picture, but there's a large new tower crane up in Dartmouth Crossing, at the top of Shubie Drive on the west side of Findlay. Across from the Mariott Courtyard in the new undeveloped section.
This is a large area in DC designated as residential. The section near Wright Ave. is higher density than the area around Frenchman Lake. Hopefully the towers don't look anything like Horizon Crt.

Dartmouth Crossing Spcecial Planning Area Order:
https://novascotia.ca/just/regulatio...thcrossing.htm

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
To be honest, they should redesign and rebuild the 111/118 interchange, as it is a dog's breakfast. Even for people who are moderately familiar, it can be confusing and easy to pick the wrong exit and end up in the wrong spot. I can't imagine how much fun it must be for those who are not familiar. Anecdotally, from following the twitter traffic feeds and such, it seems to come up on the accident reports more than most other areas of the city.

IMHO, it seems like they took the cheapest method to integrate existing highways with the new section of Burnside, including DC, but cheapest is rarely better and in this case it was a failure. Dig it up, try again...
I just moved to the area from Moncton, and it took a couple of weeks just to figure that interchange out. I had been through it a few times in the past, but yeah, it's confusing as hell to a non-resident.

"Oh, I'm on a highway" quickly becomes "Where did all this traffic come from, and why am I now on a city street?"

EDIT: I just noticed that the OP was over a year ago. Oops.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
EDIT: I just noticed that the OP was over a year ago. Oops.
LOL... it's OK, nothing has changed there since I posted it.

I worked in Burnside for many years, and still occasionally found myself in the wrong lane at the 'point of no return'. Cursing would ensue.

Oh... and welcome to Halifax!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 1:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Oh... and welcome to Halifax!
He's been a good contributor to the Moncton forums. Our loss is your gain.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 3:31 AM

If anyone is wondering what the plans are for the residential portion;

https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/dartmouth-crossing

The concept plan shows the eventual layout.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
If anyone is wondering what the plans are for the residential portion;

https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/dartmouth-crossing

The concept plan shows the eventual layout.
I like the plans for around Frenchman Lake, but the rest seems awful. The existing infrastructure looks perfectly setup to complete the grid, yet they decide to create a row of apartments cutting diagonally through it? Who comes up with this? So much wasted space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs