HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Save the 1.8 million study costs and cap it. It's a no brainer and it won't tell us what we don't know already and opined on this forum.
I wonder if Chinatown will be against it? Nothing will drive up property values/drive development like the cap would.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 7:51 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I wonder if Chinatown will be against it? Nothing will drive up property values/drive development like the cap would.
They have publicly stated in the past they support a cap of the Vine St. Espressway and continue to do so...and it is billed under the Reconnecting Communities Grant.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb233541 View Post
Perhaps the Sixers could cover some of the cost of capping as a concession in order to get the arena past opposition. We've seen NYC do something similar, granting zoning concessions to developers in exchange for certain investments in transit projects (e.g. installation of elevators to make subway stations accessible).
The irony is that a 676 cap will gentrify Chinatown way more rapidly than a 76ers arena on Market ever could. The north end of Chinatown by 676 is the most underdeveloped area of all of center city. From Broad to 8th street there are so many surface parking lots. They will all be developed into apartment buildings if and when 676 gets capped. To be clear, I think 676 should be capped as it would be transformative for the area but Chinatown residents are naive if they think this wouldn't develop this area dramatically.

I mean just look at this desolate area on Google: https://goo.gl/maps/8jFsuCkCSqXrtGhMA

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Save the 1.8 million study costs and cap it. It's a no brainer and it won't tell us what we don't know already and opined on this forum.
There are some users on here who are against highway caps for whatever reason. Citing highway parks are a "waste"

Anyways I took the survey and I hope we focus on pedestrians, bikers, and public transit with cars being the last thing to focus on.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 10:45 PM

Can you all imagine when 676 is capped to Broad (and hopefully even farther) and the Rail Park is fully built out? Add in the 76ers Arena and holy cow this area is gonna be awesome!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Can you all imagine when 676 is capped to Broad (and hopefully even farther) and the Rail Park is fully built out? Add in the 76ers Arena and holy cow this area is gonna be awesome!
Yeah I was just thinking about the Rail Park. I haven't heard anything about the next phase, but it would make so much sense to at least finish that section that goes to Vine and add an entrance there. Fingers crossed they think of that during the $4 million dollar planning/design stage.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:51 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
There are some users on here who are against highway caps for whatever reason. Citing highway parks are a "waste"

Anyways I took the survey and I hope we focus on pedestrians, bikers, and public transit with cars being the last thing to focus on.
I agree with you. More green space from capping is a net gain and an increase in QOL metrics.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:38 AM

Quote:
i dont think there are any firm plans or funding in place to finish the rail park. This is where our corporate community (including comcast) is pathetic. They have minimal presence when it comes to game changing public projects.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post

I would be surprised if the entire four-block highway cap is turned into a green park. Previous plans have portrayed the block between 10th & 11th as a park, so that idea will probably be retained. But the article speaks about possibly covering the expressway with buildings in some sections. In that way, they could construct buildings to bridge the expressway at the cross streets; this would hide the highway without having to extend the cap into the middle of the blocks.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 6:14 AM

Quote:
I dream of this. A connected linear park across the City.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 1:16 PM

I'm thrilled they're starting the Penn's landing cap, but capping the vine and fixing the parkway seems like it would be much more impactful. Philadelphia is a great pedestrian city and those two things are a real bummer to cross. I really hope they can get funding for the rest of the rail park too, they have such a great start.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I'm excited to see the Ben Franklin Parkway become more of a park and have less cars. Imagine biking from the Delaware River to the Art Museum using Vine street.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Back in 1998, a friend of mine and I drew up plans for a Las Ramblas-esque promenade from Chinatown to the PMA. Imagine a cool, multi-use walkway lined with shops, cafes, and apartments.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Yeah I was just thinking about the Rail Park. I haven't heard anything about the next phase, but it would make so much sense to at least finish that section that goes to Vine and add an entrance there. Fingers crossed they think of that during the $4 million dollar planning/design stage.
They should focus on just getting the whole thing done in the most bare form with asphalt and no landscaping. Later on they can go back and make it nicer but its current form is so pathetically short (1/4 mile) that it makes it irrelevant and doesn't build excitement or donations for future parts. The high line did exactly that, the portion from 11th Ave to Hudson yards was just basic asphalt and new fencing.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:48 PM

Hot take: the City Branch has higher potential as transit than it does as a walking trail.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Hot take: the City Branch has higher potential as transit than it does as a walking trail.
I don't know if that's a hot take on this board lol. I think most people just think it's unrealistic at this moment. The second part of the rail park isn't happening so there's still a chance!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
They should focus on just getting the whole thing done in the most bare form with asphalt and no landscaping. Later on they can go back and make it nicer but its current form is so pathetically short (1/4 mile) that it makes it irrelevant and doesn't build excitement or donations for future parts. The high line did exactly that, the portion from 11th Ave to Hudson yards was just basic asphalt and new fencing.
I don't want to say the rail park was a failure, but you make a good point imo: it isn't inspiring or very interesting at all. It never spurred any new investment to the neighborhood. I went a few times, and basically decided, I never have to go back.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I don't want to say the rail park was a failure, but you make a good point imo: it isn't inspiring or very interesting at all. It never spurred any new investment to the neighborhood. I went a few times, and basically decided, I never have to go back.
The trajectory might change a little bit once the new buildings on North Broad are complete. I also think it's adoption would be better if there was an entrance from Vine.

But I will tell you this much. No one should be entertaining doing anything with the City Branch as an extension of the Rail Park until the Rail Park itself proves to be a success. That's very much TBD.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
The trajectory might change a little bit once the new buildings on North Broad are complete. I also think it's adoption would be better if there was an entrance from Vine.

But I will tell you this much. No one should be entertaining doing anything with the City Branch as an extension of the Rail Park until the Rail Park itself proves to be a success. That's very much TBD.
True. Honestly, as someone who has been plugged into development for a long while in the city, the fund raising took so long for the first phase, that it felt very underwhelming when it was done. It was disappointing. The foliage has gotten a lot better since the first year, but it's still just 1/4 mile. Highline was a bad comparison. That PECO transformer lot is also such a vibe killer and that's probably never going anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 4:13 PM

SEPTA owns the City Branch between Broad and the end of the tunnel. Imagine the potential! If you just dig a short tunnel under Noble Street, you could reroute the Ridge Spur to now go between 8th and Market (the Convention Center) and the Art Museum (arguably the largest tourist attraction in the city). You could have infill stops at Broad (with free interchange to the BSL at Spring Garden Station) and 19th, and then cap the trench with TOD like the Elizabeth Line in London!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development