HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Tierney was not present for the vote.
Other than an application in his ward when has he participated in a hearing other than some quips at the beginning of a meeting before it really gets started. I swear one time at a meeting I think he was on his exercise bike

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
They voted in favour of delaying the file while they try to negotiate more parking (61 spaces for 85 units deemed too little), not against the proposal per say. Still not good.

Leiper, Gower, Johnson, Kavanaugh and Troster voted against the delay, while Kitts, Darouze, Luloff, Dudas, Curry, Brockington and Kelly voted in favour of the delay. Tierney was not present for the vote.
Not sure how you can easily add parking here without reducing the unit count significantly and the deeply affordable units likely will be households without cars. Every neighbourhood seems to think that their area is unique and there is a reason that the development standards that are in place are not applicable for their area.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Parking concerns delay vote on affordable units in Orléans
More than 800 people sign petition opposing project over traffic, parking concerns

Ben Andrews · CBC News
Posted: Mar 02, 2023 11:58 AM EST | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Ottawa's planning committee voted Monday to refer an application for an Orléans housing development back to city staff over parking and traffic concerns, and some councillors and delegates say it's an unnecessary delay of much-needed affordable housing.

The proposed rezoning of 360 Kennedy Ln. E. , which is near the intersection of Tenth Line Road and St. Joseph Boulevard, would allow Kindred Works, the development and asset manager for the United Church of Canada, to build 81 units in a mix of townhouses and stacked townhouses.

The build would replace a grass field and a large parking lot, while Queenswood United Church would remain. Thirty per cent of the units would qualify as affordable.

The number of parking spaces — 20 short of one per unit — was a key sticking point for more than 800 people who signed an online petition opposing the project.

Orléans West-Innes Coun. Laura Dudas introduced the motion to send the plan back on behalf of Orléans East-Cumberland Coun. Matthew Luloff, who is not on the planning committee but whose ward includes the proposed development.

Luloff told the committee Monday "serious outstanding concerns about traffic and parking" require attention before the project should proceed.

"There is no room for 20 additional vehicles, much less room for the existing demand for parking in the area as conditions currently exist," Luloff said.

Councillors who voted against the motion said the project was a prime example of much-needed "missing middle" housing, or what the province describes as "gentle density" that fits single-home neighbourhoods.

"Do I need to unfurl a banner that says we're in the middle of a housing emergency?" Somerset Coun. Ariel Troster asked. "Homes are more important than car storage."

The city estimates about 10,000 households are on the social housing wait-list and wait times can be up to five years or more.

"It's not just this application. It's this one and the next one and the next one — and it leads to an unconscionable delay in building much-needed affordable housing," Troster said.

The motion to refer the project back to planning staff carried with a 7-5 vote.

Councillors Riley Brockington, Cathy Curry, Dudas, Clarke Kelly, Catherine Kitts, Wilson Lo and George Darouze voted for the motion. Councillors Jeff Leiper, Glen Gower, Laine Johnson, Theresa Kavanagh and Troster voted against.

The church-associated group said it remains "committed" to working with the city.

"They [the city] are our partners in this mission," Kindred Works CEO Tim Blair told CBC in an email. "The reality is that Kindred Works can't solve Canada's housing crisis alone."

Dean Tester, co-founder of the Ottawa-based advocacy group Make Housing Affordable, spoke as a delegate at the meeting Monday.

In an interview with CBC Wednesday, he said delays can have a "tremendous impact" on developers.

According to Tester, those impacts include the increased cost of labour and materials, and the potential for increased regulatory costs in the event of a legal dispute with the city.

"This is a unique group that said, 'Out of the goodness of our hearts, we're going to sacrifice profits and build affordable units,'" Tester said.

"And the city said, 'No, you're not — unless you build more parking.'"

City staff were not able to provide an estimate for when parking and traffic concerns for the Kindred Works project could be addressed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...elay-1.6765061

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:26 PM

I know memes are discouraged, but this just fits so well.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I know memes are discouraged, but this just fits so well.

Who's discouraging memes here? I communicate almost entirely with memes outside of SSP. I say more memes!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:06 PM

Under discussion at Planning Committee today.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 3:18 PM

First delegation, guy says we should expect that people living in the affordable units will have at least two cars, and those living market rent will have more. If someone qualifies for affordable housing (whatever that definition may be in this case), I highly doubt they would have more than one car, if that.

Those who live in the market units, yeah, I could see two cars, maybe even three (if they have a teenager o f young adult living with them). End of the day, the City needs to be less tolerant with people parking on the street, or raise the parking permits to dissuade people from owning more cars than they need.

The developer was saying that they will try to get Communauto (currently not operating in Orleans), and of course encourage transit passes. I would love to see Communauto become a staple of any large development with discounts for tenants of a certain projects.

EDIT - one guy point blank tells the committee that he opposes ALL intensification, because suburbs are a quiet place and he doesn't want the urban lifestyle imposed on him. He proceeds to rejecting "false accusations of NIMBYism". Like, it's impossible to be more NIMBY than saying you reject any and all intensification.

EDIT 2 - it finally passed at Planning today. A motion was also carried to vote on the proposal next council meeting instead of two council meetings from now.

Last edited by J.OT13; Mar 20, 2023 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 9:13 PM

Quote:
First delegation, guy says we should expect that people living in the affordable units will have at least two cars, and those living market rent will have more. If someone qualifies for affordable housing (whatever that definition may be in this case), I highly doubt they would have more than one car, if that.

Those who live in the market units, yeah, I could see two cars, maybe even three (if they have a teenager o f young adult living with them). End of the day, the City needs to be less tolerant with people parking on the street, or raise the parking permits to dissuade people from owning more cars than they need.

The developer was saying that they will try to get Communauto (currently not operating in Orleans), and of course encourage transit passes. I would love to see Communauto become a staple of any large development with discounts for tenants of a certain projects.

EDIT - one guy point blank tells the committee that he opposes ALL intensification, because suburbs are a quiet place and he doesn't want the urban lifestyle imposed on him. He proceeds to rejecting "false accusations of NIMBYism". Like, it's impossible to be more NIMBY than saying you reject any and all intensification.

EDIT 2 - it finally passed at Planning today. A motion was also carried to vote on the proposal next council meeting instead of two council meetings from now.
I watched it on a bit of a delay and that guy was a classic. He also said he didn't want the City coming out to suburbia where kids want to play road hockey on the street and any intensification is not desirable. I wonder how his house was built. Did it just magically appear in the farm field? Was the local Councillor even there at the meeting?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I watched it on a bit of a delay and that guy was a classic. He also said he didn't want the City coming out to suburbia where kids want to play road hockey on the street and any intensification is not desirable. I wonder how his house was built. Did it just magically appear in the farm field? Was the local Councillor even there at the meeting?
Didn't see Luloff yesterday, but he was there last Planning Committee when they discussed the file. I assume he knew it would pass this time around, so he didn't want to be there to take the heat.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 6:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Orléans United Church redevelopment gets city hall approvals after delay sparks criticism

Taylor Blewett, Ottawa Citizen
Published Mar 22, 2023 • Last updated 29 minutes ago • 3 minute read

After a contentious delay in the approval process over traffic and parking concerns, a townhouse development on a United Church property in Orléans has received the committee and council permissions its developer was looking for.

“When it comes to a development, if we don’t get it right at the early stages, we get it wrong forever,” Orléans West-Innes Coun. Laura Dudas told her planning committee colleagues earlier this week.

She was defending a decision last month to send the rezoning application back to staff for some further negotiating with the United Church of Canada-affiliated developer of the project, after it arrived in front of council’s planning and housing committee on Feb. 27. At a time of challenged access to affordable housing, the decision to withhold approval, at least temporarily, riled some, and while “going viral” isn’t typically an outcome of local planning decisions, this news certainly grabbed attention.

A clip of Somerset ward Coun. Ariel Troster challenging opposition to the project netted 200 retweets, while some prominent voices in the housing world, including from outside Ottawa, jumped into the debate.

“Ottawa City Council still has an opportunity to make this right,” federal Conservative housing critic Scott Aitchison tweeted last month. “I don’t care what your political leanings are – this crisis we are in calls for #YIMBY (Yes-In-My-Backyard) champions, not #NIMBY cowards.”

The Queenswood United Church, located in a low-density suburban area near St. Joseph Boulevard and Tenth Line Road, has made its property available for an 81-unit townhouse development. It would retain the existing place of worship, include 26 affordable units, and offer 85 parking spaces, with 15 of those reserved for visitors and nine for the church.

While this represents 20 fewer residential parking spaces than what city policy would require, city staff have written that their comfort with it includes the fact that affordable housing “is critically needed in Ottawa,” affordable housing tenants have historically required less parking, and the site is within walking distance to grocery, transit, and other amenities.

But for the councillors who supported the Dudas motion, brought forward on behalf of area councillor Matthew Luloff (who does not sit on the committee), the proposal had raised enough traffic and parking concerns that it was worth some further work by staff with the developer, to try to address them.

Before the file returned to committee Monday, staff shared the fruits of that additional discussion, including an agreement that the landlord would “implement a tenant screening process to ensure that parking demand does not exceed supply,” investigate some special transit and parking arrangements, and develop a plan to manage construction traffic.

Other grievances with the planned development, raised by the authors of a public “save our neighbourhood” petition, included “urbanizing an otherwise quiet neighbourhood, with noise and loss of privacy,” the loss of 21 mature trees (the developer proposed to plan 137 new ones), and “negative effect on existing home values, according to local real estate agents.”

As of Wednesday, it had been signed by more than 900 people.

At Monday’s meeting, Troster won the support of her committee colleagues for a motion to move up council consideration of the application to Wednesday, rather than the following week’s meeting.

“The project speaks to so many of the policy goals articulated by the official plan. I think it would be a wonderful addition to any neighbourhood,” Troster said Monday.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...arks-criticism

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 10:53 PM

I don’t get it. We are in a housing crisis and yet Orleans residents are opposed to a 81-unit townhouse development. Let’s just cancel Stage 2 east and redirect the money to parts of the city that are willing to build more housing.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 11:53 PM

Speaking as an Orléans resident who might need "affordable" housing at some point, the idea of being able to stay in the neighbourhood where I've spent over three decades of my life so far is an attractive one. And that's what the Kindred Works proposal would mean.

I suspect there are similar proposals for other wards across the city, and we might want to find out where they're being proposed for.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 6:01 PM
National Capital Region

Last edited by waterloowarrior; May 21, 2023 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Won’t make any difference, other than delaying the start of construction.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2023, 11:50 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
As predicted, and good.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2023, 4:47 PM

Too bad they lost 6+ months because of this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs