HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 4:19 PM

From a distance it looks like Michael Reese - the original old building - may be partially demolished now, with various machinery still on site. This one ended up getting a stealthily-imposed death sentence, right? Or is any part of it supposed to be saved (in addition to the one Gropius)? I wonder if a new mayor stepping in now could change its fate...

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 5:00 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Yeah, I was surprised to see the original Reese buildings destroyed when passing by on Metra—I was under the impression that they were of some architectural significance (and because they aren’t—weren’t—modern they’d be spared).

Looks like they’re going for near-total blank slate to me. I remember Daley talking about the possibility of a research park on the site, but I’m pretty sure he was just thinking of something off the top of his head and it wasn’t something that was under active development.

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 5:43 PM

No, main Reese is a goner. The city said that it got trashed because they didn't secure it well and that roof leaks finished the job. Just another travesty. To add insult, Urban Remains tried repeatedly to get permission to salvage the terra cotta and Brandenburg Wrecking shut them out. So it's all going to the landfill. The one gropius will be the only survivor for now, and there's no guarantee the same won't happen to it.

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 5:45 PM

On the fence subject, does anyone have an idea on how people get away with fencing in their PARKWAYS? Now THAT really looks trashy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=rockwe...vb51emtLpCOi5w

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 7:59 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
To add insult, Urban Remains tried repeatedly to get permission to salvage the terra cotta and Brandenburg Wrecking shut them out. So it's all going to the landfill.
This makes no sense. Presumably Urban Remains would pay for the salvage rights? Brandenburg must be acting on principle (or out of spite) in order to turn down what is essentially free money for them.

I've never seen the parkway fencing before. I'm guessing the resident/s must grow vegetables or something, and they don't want people to steal them?

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 8:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I've never been big on semi-public spaces or plazas on large residential development. In my industry, architects always seem to love it. But the spaces rarely get occupied, or when they do, it's by a bunch of skateboarders (heh, I've been guilty actually), homeless, or some other awkward gathering. I miss when it was the city that built parks. Private land is maxed out, and when there was a piece of open space, it's was extremely special.
It's self-reinforcing. Architects want to create high-quality public space but often fail at it, partly because of cost reasons, partly because of defensible space requirements, etc.

When one public space fails, the next designer comes along and thinks he can make a better one. Pretty soon you have a surfeit of public space, forming an environment where even a well-designed public space will struggle to attract users.

Quote:
Parkside has way too many courtyards easily accessible by the public. Though I don't see a lot of loitering, the windswept barren paved areas just don't look all that great. It's far too course grain, and literally the wealthier cousin of the same Cabrini Green architectural family legacy. Still a large complex of buildings, with a single source of management. Management changes through history though
Yeah, that's the other problem. The fences are used to very ham-fistedly separate public from private space, when the massing of the buildings themselves should be accomplishing that goal.

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 8:44 PM
Technocrat in Your Tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The fences are used to very ham-fistedly separate public from private space, when the massing of the buildings themselves should be accomplishing that goal.
This is crucial. Looking at the Albany Park-vs.-ex-Cabrini streetviews above, the Albany Park streetscape is more varied due to the shapes of the homes—sunrooms and stoops define small spaces between the sidewalk and building, and the massing of these figures gives them a sense of enclosure and giving the streetscape a sense of variety. The fronts ex-Cabrini homes, on the other hand, are essentially all flush with one another, creating a much less interesting—and much more wall-like (with the lawns serving as little green moats)—streetscape.

Even granting the need for fences, even slightly more modulated massing could give the area a more inviting character. Fences are pretty common in Hyde Park, but since they alternate with walls the street doesn’t have as bleak a feel (Google Maps).

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 9:53 PM
TL;DR

Well, technically the CHA streetview is Roosevelt Square, since Google Maps' streetview of ParkSide shows it during construction.

But yeah... defining that transition zone between public and private space is extremely important.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
No, main Reese is a goner. The city said that it got trashed because they didn't secure it well and that roof leaks finished the job. Just another travesty. To add insult, Urban Remains tried repeatedly to get permission to salvage the terra cotta and Brandenburg Wrecking shut them out. So it's all going to the landfill. The one gropius will be the only survivor for now, and there's no guarantee the same won't happen to it.
I thought Heneghan was doing that demo...

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 1:15 AM

I'd been under the impression the future of this one was put on hold until further review or reports from the city that gave a better idea whether or not the integrity of these buildings was sufficient enough to keep in the neighborhood. Last time I'd looked into it, they'd taken documentation of these works off-site until they got a better idea of how the city would support their continued existence in that specific location and aid any renewal. Perhaps word did not go through. I expect not, if passersby have noticed they're gone.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 1:21 AM

Quote:
On the fence subject, does anyone have an idea on how people get away with fencing in their PARKWAYS? Now THAT really looks trashy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=rockwe...vb51emtLpCOi5w
I think the city permits fencing as long as there's a 1' setback from the curb. So that's how they get away with it. The fence is ugly, but it is compliant.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 1:33 AM
tilted & shifted

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 9:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan View Post
This is crucial. Looking at the Albany Park-vs.-ex-Cabrini streetviews above, the Albany Park streetscape is more varied due to the shapes of the homes—sunrooms and stoops define small spaces between the sidewalk and building, and the massing of these figures gives them a sense of enclosure and giving the streetscape a sense of variety. The fronts ex-Cabrini homes, on the other hand, are essentially all flush with one another, creating a much less interesting—and much more wall-like (with the lawns serving as little green moats)—streetscape.

Even granting the need for fences, even slightly more modulated massing could give the area a more inviting character. Fences are pretty common in Hyde Park, but since they alternate with walls the street doesn’t have as bleak a feel (Google Maps).
I think this gets to a point that really gets under my skin re: development in modern Chicago. To be quite blunt I find most development in modern Chicago to be quite utterly banal.....this goes even for our most glorious current triumphs.\

With few exceptions Chicago development suffers from for lack of a better word......monoculture development.

The fecundity of expression in earlier Chicago development is a distant memory; versus the morass we almost without exception see nowadays.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 7:29 PM
Urbane observer

^Did you get a thesaurus for graduation or something?

Fecundity, indeed. No monoculture here:

Pinnacle Property Inspection

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 8:04 PM
The City

^ Agree with Mr. D. Many of the prewar 2,3 flats and bungalows throughout the city look like they could have come out of a Sears Catalogue

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 10:14 PM

just reading some of these comments on the past couple of pages a lot of you are sounding a little anti-chicago right now.... even a little suburban for some...

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 10:19 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Agree with Mr. D. Many of the prewar 2,3 flats and bungalows throughout the city look like they could have come out of a Sears Catalogue
Seems like probably some of them did ...

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 11:17 PM

Thank you Emathis - almost an exact match to my place (brick).

As far as fencing - in the bungalow belts it seems to follow perceived crime rates.

Lawndale

Humboldt Park

Back of the Yards

Washington Park

Oak Park (Suburb)

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 12:27 AM

A Perfect Day for a Walk with the Camera

Photos by EarlyBuyer 5/8/11

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 12:36 AM

Roosevelt University Vertical Campus Expansion & Facade Piece Lift

Photos by EarlyBuyer 5/8/11

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development