HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would agree.

I am greatly disappointed by Starbuck's large scale abandonment of their downtown coffee shops in favour of suburban drive-thru locations. This might make sense to the ledger keepers and shareholders, but has removed the heart and soul from the Starbucks experience. Starbucks is now just another coffee shop.

I like the look of Good Earth Coffee House. I think they understand what a downtown coffee house is supposed to be - a meeting space, and a place for downtown denizens to unwind form a stressful day. I really hope they do consider the former Starbucks location downtown for potential expansion.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 3:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Supplement King signage has been installed in the subdivided unit next to Cannabis NB in the Mapleton Centre.

Photo from Retail Talk & Share

They must be moving soon.

And, further to that point, I have it on good authority that renovations to the former Wicker Emporium location in the Mapleton Centre to allow for the new Under Armour store are to begin next week. The Under Armour will encompass both the former Wicker Emporium spot, and the adjacent current location of Supplement King.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 3:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Supplement King is actually moving today. There are cube vans moving inventory to the new location.

The fact that they are moving now gives further credence to the rumour that the renovation work for Under Armour begins next week.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 14, 2021 at 1:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently Regis Hair Salon, Mastercuts and Cuts 2000 are all going to close very shortly at CF Champlain.

There will no longer be any place to get your hair cut at the mall!!

The pandemic and the high rents at the mall did them all in.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 6:37 PM

Tide and Boar Brewing had a soft opening yesterday of their new location on Main st. near Vaughn Harvey Blvd. The official opening will be tomorrow (March 17) at 4pm.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 6:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Renovations for Under Armour at the Mapleton Centre have now commenced.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Tide and Boar Brewing had a soft opening yesterday of their new location on Main st. near Vaughn Harvey Blvd. The official opening will be tomorrow (March 17) at 4pm.
Been looking forward to this for awhile. I thought originally they were just doing pizza & beer but from a review I read yesterday it looks like they are offering burgers, salads, pretzels, smoked wings and dessert pies.

It will be great to have a spot on the west side of Avenir for a pregame meal or drink.

The interior appears to be quite "instagrammable" with the wall of beer cans.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Coffee Concept ‘Good Earth Cafe’ Acquiring Abandoned Starbucks Locations in Canada for Expansion
By Mario Toneguzzi
March 10, 2021
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...for-expansion/

So, it isn't just Second Cup stepping into the vacuum created by Starbucks as they retreat from hundreds of their locations in Canada. Good Earth Cafe is moving in too, and may be willing to take over some of the former downtown Starbucks locations. I wonder if they would look at the former Starbucks location on Main Street in Moncton?
Maybe one of these or a Second Cup can take over the shuttered Starbucks in Chapters as well.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Apparently Regis Hair Salon, Mastercuts and Cuts 2000 are all going to close very shortly at CF Champlain.

There will no longer be any place to get your hair cut at the mall!!

The pandemic and the high rents at the mall did them all in.
Can confirm Cuts2000 is finished in April. Best haircuts in the region. After more than two decades, I will miss them.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Can confirm Cuts2000 is finished in April. Best haircuts in the region. After more than two decades, I will miss them.
When Cuts2000 goes won't that be the last local business to leave the mall? It seemed to me that it had been down to just them after the Singer store moved out.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 11:01 AM

I'm not much of a mall person as there is nothing in there for me, but to my knowledge indeed it is the last local business in there. So by next month the only thing that brings me to shop in the mall will be gone. I might never see the interior of it again, or at least for a very long time.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Walmart Canada closing six stores, spending $500M to upgrade others
The Canadian Press
Published Monday, March 15, 2021 2:04PM EDT
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/walm...dbflRTJNQW-C38

None of the six stores to be closed are in NB (one is in Newfoundland however).

The $500M in renovations this year is interesting. A source told me a few months back that the CF Champlain Walmart was to have a significant upgrade this year. This news story would give further veracity to this rumour.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Walmart Canada closing six stores, spending $500M to upgrade others
The Canadian Press
Published Monday, March 15, 2021 2:04PM EDT
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/walm...dbflRTJNQW-C38

None of the six stores to be closed are in NB (one is in Newfoundland however).

The $500M in renovations this year is interesting. A source told me a few months back that the CF Champlain Walmart was to have a significant upgrade this year. This news story would give further veracity to this rumour.
I wonder if there's any way Wal-Mart could expand their footprint? Probably not possible at the Champlain Place location.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 3:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Rossy Retail Chain Eyes New Brunswick Expansion
https://tj.news/story/101511642?ref=...alRKRHaXKWpkV4 (paywall)

I don't know the content of this article because of the paywall, but it would be interesting to see if they are considering expansion to the province's larger cities. There are certainly enough retail vacancies around Moncton that could accommodate such a store (Champlain Plaza, Granite Centre, Wheeler Park). They could even look at the Mapleton Plaza if they wanted to go head to head with Giant Tiger, Christmas Discounters and Dollarama. In any event, variety is the spice of life. At least it wouldn't be the metro areas ninth Dollarama...........

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Rossy Retail Chain Eyes New Brunswick Expansion

I don't know the content of this article because of the paywall, but it would be interesting to see if they are considering expansion to the province's larger cities. There are certainly enough retail vacancies around Moncton that could accommodate such a store (Champlain Plaza, Granite Centre, Wheeler Park). They could even look at the Mapleton Plaza if they wanted to go head to head with Giant Tiger, Christmas Discounters and Dollarama. In any event, variety is the spice of life. At least it wouldn't be the metro areas ninth Dollarama...........
Basically it says they want to expand, no info on future locations, lists current locations in NB and a brief history of the chain, thats it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cannabis NB is apparently no longer for sale (now that it is profitable). Quelle surprise!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 2:18 PM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;9220625]Rossy Retail Chain Eyes New Brunswick Expansion

Moncton already has a Rossy nearby in Shediac. I suspect that a junior department store like Rossy will target towns like Edmonston, Bathurst and Woodstock.

In NS they are in Windsor, Truro, Yarmouth, and Antigonish. All towns around 10-15K. And they are priced for less competition, meaning higher than everyone else due to I suspect to lower volume and remote locations.

Interesting factiod. They are the same family as the Dollarama folks. JUst the other side of the clan.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Under Armour coming soon signage is now up on the storefront windows in the Mapleton Centre.

The signage says "Spring 2021" - perhaps by June???

I wonder if they will do anything to make the store facade more uniform across the two (former) units that the store will occupy? Structube just down the plaza didn't bother, and it doesn't look too bad.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage has been installed at Champlain Plaza in Dieppe for Empyrean Bar and Grill. The specialty will apparently be Indian cuisine. The restaurant will be located to the right of Mai Asian Cuisine.

Moncton is developing quite a stable of Indian styled restaurants.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 4:44 PM

CF Champlain:

Naturalizer, Regis Salon, and MasterCuts are now permanently closed. Cut 2000 will be closing the end of April and Just Cozy will be closing for the season this Wednesday, March 31st.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690502684515770/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces