HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Would you support a 1% municipal sales tax?
Yes 3 75.00%
No 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 3:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Municipal Sales Tax

Would you support a 1% municipal sales tax for Hamilton?

For me I think the province should allow municipalities to have the choice of a municipal sales tax. But I'd imagine that would be difficult since that would create a competitive advantage for municipalities without municipal sales tax.

Plus I doubt Premier Dalton would want to associate with raising taxes again. That's why I think it would be easier for the Premier to simply open up the possibly and allow municipalities to choose on their own.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Would you support a 1% municipal sales tax for Hamilton?

For me I think the province should allow municipalities to have the choice of a municipal sales tax. But I'd imagine that would be difficult since that would create a competitive advantage for municipalities without municipal sales tax.

Plus I doubt Premier Dalton would want to associate with raising taxes again. That's why I think it would be easier for the Premier to simply open up the possibly and allow municipalities to choose on their own.
Nope the city would just piss away the funds on higher municipal wages and become more of a high tax jurisdiction than it already is. When you've got Burlington beside you, it wouldn't work.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
When you've got Burlington beside you, it wouldn't work.
Good point. For that reason alone it's a non-starter.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy