HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 8:37 PM

I was impressed with the man and his work, as were everyone with me. The first 45 minutes probably didn't need to happen, well except for the gymnastics show that was just gold. I thought there was too much hot air in those speeches though. I mean, civic engagement being unique to Hamilton? And doesn't Dana Robbins live in Kitchener or something? Correct me if I'm wrong.

All in all it was a pleasure to attend. It didn't feel like a free event at all, I thought I should have more money than I do in order to be there. Still not sure why I got two VIP tickets, #'s 5 and 7. I hope mayor Fred didn't feel too shafted when the two seats on either side of him were empty because we joined the common folk in GA.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 2:55 AM

It was a pleasure to attend, and I agree with Jon, it felt like a Gala, not a free event.

I enjoyed the inspiration and some examples on how changing the environment around at risk kids have helped. The man clearly works hard. I was impressed by the number of donations that he has received which have turned his buildings into beautiful space.

For specific Hamilton - Pittsburgh comparisons, I though the creativity of learning and comparing from Pittsburgh experience was limited. Because of this, I find the title on the ticket misleading.

However, It is true that Hamilton has a lot of poor people. Finding a way to engage them would bring a lot of spirit into Hamilton.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 4:03 AM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
It was a pleasure to attend, and I agree with Jon, it felt like a Gala, not a free event.

I enjoyed the inspiration and some examples on how changing the environment around at risk kids have helped. The man clearly works hard. I was impressed by the number of donations that he has received which have turned his buildings into beautiful space.

For specific Hamilton - Pittsburgh comparisons, I though the creativity of learning and comparing from Pittsburgh experience was limited. Because of this, I find the title on the ticket misleading.

However, It is true that Hamilton has a lot of poor people. Finding a way to engage them would bring a lot of spirit into Hamilton.
I'd agree - I was disappointed at the lack of specific comparisons/misleading title, but I did find it a moving and quality event for what it was.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:18 PM

To truly have an impact on what Hamilton needs to do, I think it would be a stronger signal to have people like Don Drummond from TD Bank, or Glen Hodgson from the Conference Board of Canada. Surely it may not be as entertaining, but it will show business leaders that Hamilton serious about changing the way it treats employers and businesses. And it could give us ideas on how to fill up vacant towers, get banks lending to us like every other city, and bring jobs into town.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:11 PM

I have to admit it wouldn't have garnered my interest if the event was more aptly named. Revitalization and urban design issues are what turn my crank moreso than poverty issues (that makes me bad, I realize) and I'm guessing they tried to play up that angle in the advertising. None the less I thoroughly enjoyed it and was impressed with what I saw. It made me believe in people a little bit more.

I had a couple nagging questions, though.

Where are the jobs that all these newly trained people are finding?
and
Do these people stay in the neighbourhood or leave to follow the jobs?

That and there was alot of ugly surface parking around those beautiful buildings.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 12:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Eisenberger intrigued by Pittsburgh program

Ken Mann
3/16/2010
http://www.900chml.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1207456

Hamilton's mayor is off on a fact-finding mission.

Fred Eisenberger will spend the rest of this week in Pittsburgh, a city that is often compared to Hamilton in regards to the transformation of its economy.

One of his meetings will be with Bill Strickland, the founder of an innovative non-profit agency that uses the arts to inspire inner-city teenagers.

By understanding how that program operates and is funded, Eisenberger believes Hamilton can learn some specific lessons about how to grow its own downtown arts community.

He adds that inclusion means creating opportunities for all citizens, including those "who are challenged to find opportunities".

Eisenberger leads a group of city representatives who will leave for Pittsburgh on Wednesday.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
It's Hammer Time

Mayor visits Pittsburgh in search of ideas to help here

March 18, 2010
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
PITTSBURGH
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/739467

Mayor Fred Eisenberger and a small city arts delegation have arrived in Pittsburgh for a whirlwind tour.

The group includes Jacqueline Norton, manager of the city's film and television office; Glen Norton, a business development consultant in the city's economic development office; and Jeremy Freiburger, a force in Hamilton's arts community and founder of the Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts.

Eisenberger is scheduled to have a short meeting today with Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and says he hopes to check out the city's light rail transit line, its waterfront stadium built on a former brownfield and its burgeoning arts scene.

"So many people compare Pittsburgh to Hamilton and there are lots of similarities ... I will be looking to see what can be applied here," he said.

A key stop for the Hamilton contingent will be a visit to the Manchester Craftsmen Guild, an inner-city arts and vocational training centre renowned for its impact on a very impoverished section of Pittsburgh.

An audience packed Hamilton Place in December to hear Bill Strickland, the centre's founder and CEO, deliver a message of hope and innovation.

His model has been adopted in cities across North America, including Halifax and Vancouver. Strickland's goal is to build 100 such non-profit centres in the United States and another 100 around the world.

Eisenberger, who shared a van with the rest of the visiting delegation to make the five-hour trek to Pittsburgh yesterday, also said he intends to "drop in and say hello" at the headquarters of U.S. Steel during his visit.

Freiburger said he'll be interested in the ways Hamilton is different from Pittsburgh. Once a steel giant that was crippled when the mills shut down in the 1980s, Pittsburgh is still a home to major corporate head offices and has a strong legacy of foundation funds pouring into the creative sector.

"Pittsburgh openly states that it has embraced the arts as part of its turnaround," said Freiburger.

"The Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council has developed a wealth of information on surviving through economic depression with the arts. So again I want to see it in action."

Freiburger, who is paying for the trip personally, said he hopes the group can develop a "shared reality" based on what they see.

"I want to ensure we don't just come home and say, 'That was cool, let's build one of those.' We need to find Hamilton's model and vision so I hope we have some collective sparks."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Pittsburgh makeover
Hamilton group finds striking similarities, inspiration

March 19, 2010
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
PITTSBURGH
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/740050

The possibilities are apparent on every street corner as a group of Hamiltonians travel this Pennsylvania city that is transforming itself from a steel power to a white-collar metropolis based on research and medicine.

Amid gleaming corporate towers are heritage buildings that remind this contingent of home. An historic downtown hotel where the group is booked is eerily reminiscent, from the street and inside, of the dormant Royal Connaught Hotel in its heyday. The 596-room William Penn Omni Hotel is fully booked mid-week in March.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger, who leads the group of city staff and arts advocate Jeremy Freiburger, says he's hopeful the Connaught, owned by a powerful local consortium, will be revived. "I think it's only a matter of time. I'm quite optimistic about it," he says.

Just a stone's throw from the hotel is a former Gimbles department store that now serves as office space for ketchup giant Heinz. It bears more than a passing resemblance to the Lister Block that is undergoing redevelopment on James Street North.

There are several reminders of what's been lost in Hamilton, too. Pittsburgh's courthouse echoes the former City Hall that was torn down to make way for the Eaton Centre. A stretch of old theatres in Pittsburgh's Cultural District conjure up visions of the Century Theatre that was recently demolished. There are two incline railways that carry riders up Mt. Washington on the city's southern end, much like Hamilton once had.

The group excitedly talks about a return of an incline. Perhaps it could be a project of civic pride and Hamiltonians could pitch in to make it happen again, is one suggestion.

Pittsburgh has many of the elements Eisenberger wants for his city: a light rail system, a waterfront stadium, downtown employment. Much like Hamilton but on an even greater scale, the compact, pie-shaped Pittsburgh downtown is a bustling hub in the daytime. It literally clears out at the end of the day.

The visitors are clearly impressed by the conversion of former railyard lands that once served the city's steel industry. A couple of tracks remain and diners are often startled by the squeal of freight trains as they thunder past what is now a beautiful restaurant in a former grand train station.

Much like our city, there is plenty of work to do. There is a lot of vacant street level space and stretches of housing with boarded up windows just outside the core.

But the momentum is clearly here. Just ask Pittsburgh hockey, baseball and football fans who all enjoy new facilities.

While U.S. Steel maintains its headquarters in Pittsburgh, there is little profile for steel anymore. The giant's tower now bears the acronym UPMC, for its biggest tenant, University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre. Where steel was once made is now the Southside Works, a stretch of retailers, restaurants and condo-style apartments. The headquarters of American Eagle Outfitters is there and the only nod to steel is a series of parking garages named things like ingot, ladle and furnace.

Bill Strickland stepped in when the steel industry collapsed in the 1980s and helped local employers like Alcoa and Bayer train workers for its industries. His vocational school and a renowned arts program for high-school students are located about a 15-minute drive from the heart of the downtown in a waterfront industrial area.

The Manchester Bidwell Corporation offers an impressive array of opportunities for young people and adults who haven't been offered many elsewhere, says Strickland. The Hamilton group spent several hours touring the art and design studios, classrooms, culinary arts and horticultural facilities that make up the centre.

Strickland, who visited Hamilton a few months ago, wants to establish 100 centres like his around the U.S. and another 100 around the world. There are several in operation now and the first in Canada will be in Halifax. He encourages the Hamilton group to consider his model but warns that his standards are high.

"It's non-negotiable. We'll build a beautiful building wherever we go. Environment absolutely influences behaviour." The dynamic Strickland, who has convinced CEOs and politicians to hand over millions for his vision, is a firm believer that his students dress well, show up on time and are respectful and committed.

Eisenberger spent about half an hour with Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl who, when elected three years ago at 26, was the youngest mayor of a major city in the U.S. He didn't know much about Hamilton, said Eisenberger, and seemed unaware of U.S. Steel's presence here.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2010, 1:15 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I can't wait to see what changes we'll be doing to make Hamilton more like Pittsburgh when Eisenberger gets back. It's so exciting.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:25 AM

Last edited by thistleclub; Mar 23, 2010 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 2:38 PM
Registered Drug User

Fixed. There's no way anywhere in the U.S. is less obese than anywhere in Canada. As for the discrepancy in physical inactivity, there's clearly a difference in metrics at work here, because there's no way the difference is that large.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Fixed.
Thanks. Math before coffee was a bad call.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 9:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

Pittsburgh model for Hamilton changes
Mayor reports on stateside trip

By Kevin Werner, News Staff
News
Apr 01, 2010
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/206583

Hamilton and Pittsburgh have a lot in common, says Mayor Fred Eisenberger.

Both were once industrial-centric cities, attempting to transform themselves to fit into the modern 21st century world. They are each trying to revitalized their downtowns, both are focused on entertainment, sports and the arts to change their images, and both are committed to improving their transportation networks.

“Pittsburgh is still in transition,” acknowledged Eisenberger, who completed a short-visit to the U. S.’s version of Steel City. “There is lots to learn. But not all of (what Pittsburgh) has done will translate to Hamilton.”

While Hamilton is attempting to construct a waterfront stadium for the 2015 Pan Am Games, Pittsburgh has already constructed three downtown stadiums, Heinz Field for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mellon Arena for the Penguins, and PNC Park for the Pirates. Within this sports mecca is a vast array of restaurants, and bars to draw people downtown, said Eisenberger.

“It proves the success of the cluster development approach,” said Eisenberger, a concept that Hamilton’s planning department through its Growth Related Integrated Development Strategy (GRIDS) instituted a few years ago.

And while Hamilton is planning for a light-rail transit system, Pittsburgh has both a subway and light-rail to transport workers from the suburban areas to downtown.

One of the reasons for the visit by Eisenberger, Jeremy Frieburger, a city arts advocate, Glen Norton of Hamilton’s economic development department, and Jacqueline Norton, manager of the city’s film and television office, was to meet Bill Strickland, and tour his vocational school for arts. Strickland is committed to establishing 100 of these schools in the U. S. and another 100 around the world. Eisenberger said the first Canadian school is scheduled to be opened in Halifax.

Since the collapse of the U. S. steel industry, Pittsburgh has led the effort of revitalizing industrial U. S. cities. It has beefed up its medical facilities, and has helped to develop education institutions, such as the University of Pittsburgh Medical Centres. But more needs to be done, said Eisenberger.

Pittsburgh, with an immediate population of 200,000, has a “couple of Lister Blocks” in its downtown that needs redevelopment, he said. During the day the city is a hive of activity. But after work hours, it’s a “ghost town” with workers leaving for their homes in the surrounding Allegheny areas.

And Eisenberger says that Pittsburgh and the surrounding county government, which has population of about 2 million population, have started talking about amalgamation. It’s a process Hamilton politicians know only too well.

“There are about 141 local governments in the area they say are hampering development,” he said.

“A lot of the things that Pittsburgh is doing, we have been doing it for a few years,” said Eisenberger. “The city has transformed, but its not there yet. But there are still things that we can study.”

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 4:49 PM

I suppose it is an appropriate model, but no, Hamilton is not Pittsburgh. The big stand out difference is, ultimately, that Hamilton is so close to Toronto, which could be an advantage, but makes something like Pittsburgh's medical cluster or sports infrastructure a lot less likely. The challenge for Hamilton in my view is to integrate fully into the GTA, while keeping a distinct role, and not becoming a suburb or satellite in one form or another.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post
I suppose it is an appropriate model, but no, Hamilton is not Pittsburgh. The big stand out difference is, ultimately, that Hamilton is so close to Toronto, which could be an advantage, but makes something like Pittsburgh's medical cluster or sports infrastructure a lot less likely. The challenge for Hamilton in my view is to integrate fully into the GTA, while keeping a distinct role, and not becoming a suburb or satellite in one form or another.
Sadly, I agree. They have to get it together now, or risk being a a huge suburb.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 3:03 AM

Nearby local governments hampering development? And here I thought all this time it was Hamilton the megacity with too many cooks in the kitchen that were hampering development...?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 12:40 PM

Pittsburgh has the problem with too many nearby local governments. Hamilton-style amalgamation would probably benefit Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 8:48 AM

Pittsburgh was just ranked as one of the more fit American cities that has high walking percent, at least in one of those dime a dozen fitness rankings.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 10:27 AM

My bad math was an omen. StatsCan now has 74.3% of adults in the Hamilton area being overweight or obese.

The best place to raise a child is apparently a veal-fattening pen.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
My bad math was an omen. StatsCan now has 74.3% of adults in the Hamilton area being overweight or obese.

The best place to raise a child is apparently a veal-fattening pen.
Wow that includes Burlington too. Although using BMI pretty much guarantees anyone who lifts weights will be considered overweight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy