HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:57 PM

Brown v. green equals blue landowner

Online Version: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/

Print Version: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...query=turkstra

Print Version
Quote:
Hamilton's plan to remediate industrial lands runs into city's own crosstown competition - suburban fields

KEVIN MARRON
Special to The Globe and Mail
November 25, 2008

HAMILTON -- Hamilton businessman Carl Turkstra believes he has a gold mine in the brownfield property he has purchased in the city's beleaguered north end, although it remains to be seen what else he will find as he digs out the metals and PCBs that have accumulated over more than 100 years of industrial use there.

Mr. Turkstra, who is chief executive officer of family owned Turkstra Lumber Co. Ltd. and not a professional developer, says he will have to dig deep into his own pockets to clean up the 16-acre former Frost Fence and Wire Products Ltd. site, in spite of the support he is receiving from the City of Hamilton's vaunted brownfield redevelopment program.

"It's like buying one wheel of a car," he says of the $15,000 city grant that will fund an environmental study and close to $700,000 in potential tax relief under the city's Environmental Redevelopment and Site Enhancement program if his assessment increases after the project is completed.

What's missing, Mr. Turkstra says, is any source of interim funding to help with the purchase and remediation costs - banks won't approve a mortgage until environmental liabilities are removed.

"You're talking a lot of money here and most people would probably have trouble finding that much cash to buy the building and clean it up unless they can mortgage it. That's the huge flaw in the whole system that there's no government support for people who want to do this," says Mr. Turkstra, who has financed this project largely with private capital.

Furthermore, a continuing controversy over Hamilton's plans for employment growth has left Mr. Turkstra and others questioning whether the city still has a commitment to promoting the revitalization of its old industrial core as it strives to encourage greenfield development in the rural area near Munro International Airport to the south of the city.

The need to clean up and redevelop hundreds of dilapidated sites that litter what was once the heartland of Canadian industry has long been seen as a key city goal.

Hamilton, in the 1990s, was one of the first cities in Ontario to adopt an incentive program and planning process for brownfields. Just a year ago, Mayor Fred Eisenberger described brownfield lands as key to regional growth.
It therefore came as a surprise when a planning study reported earlier this year that the city has only 91 brownfield properties, covering 377 acres, that are ripe for redevelopment, not 1,386 properties, covering more than 7,000 acres, as had previously been believed. The finding accompanied recommendations that the city promote greenfield lands near the airport as areas for future employment growth, prompting some council members and citizens, including Mr. Turkstra, to question whether city staff members were playing down the brownfield opportunities in order to persuade the provincial government to approve growth in rural areas.

"I think Carl is in part right that some of our staff see that our only future employment lands opportunity is around the airport. I don't happen to agree," Mr. Eisenberger says.

City staff members say they came up with 91 sites by strictly applying the definition of a brownfield as "an abandoned, vacant, derelict or underutilized commercial or industrial property where past land use activity has resulted in actual or perceived contamination."

According to Neil Everson, director of economic development and real estate for the city's planning and economic development department, much of the property previously considered as potential brownfield land is being used in some way and has owners who are paying taxes.

"If they're paying taxes and they're current, technically they're not a property that's there for redevelopment. Are they the highest and best use? Maybe not. But what authority does a municipality have with the exception of trying to expropriate them?"

But there is a debate among city councillors and staff as to how the term "underutilized" should be interpreted and whether more sites should be included in the brownfield inventory. Mr. Eisenberger maintains there are about 7,300 acres of brownfield land that should be included in an expanded definition.

Nevertheless, the mayor says the city has already had considerable success in promoting brownfield development with its program of tax incentives. He and city staff note that an Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing survey found that Hamilton exceeded all other municipalities in brownfield development activities last year, with 19 new applications under the municipal brownfield incentives program, compared with a provincial average of four.

Mr. Turkstra says the site he has purchased "for a few million dollars" is a good example of the kind of opportunity that is available in the city's north end, the broad swath along Hamilton harbour that is also home to the steel mills.

He says he originally was looking at the property for a project that didn't come through and decided to buy it anyway because he saw the potential, in spite of the serious environmental problems on a part of the site that had been a galvanizing operation.

In spite of his concerns about the difficulty of financing the purchase and clean up of brownfield sites, Mr. Turkstra readily admits he should come out ahead on the deal.

"I bought this whole property, completely paved and fenced, with 3,000 square foot of space, half of which is now rented and used, for a fraction of what it would cost to build it. When I get done with this thing, I'm looking at probably no more than 30 per cent of what it would cost to build in a greenfield."

Mr. Turkstra says it's a shame that the difficulty of getting mortgages or other financing for the initial cost of brownfield development "puts it out of reach of anyone but an individual who has a lot of friends or is very well funded, or a very large corporation that probably doesn't want to be bothered with such a time-consuming process."

As a business person, Mr. Turkstra is optimistic about the possibilities of his property. As a citizen, he says he's passionate about the need for redeveloping Hamilton's industrial north end.
"We have this enormous wasting asset down there which is extremely valuable," he says. "You've got hundreds of thousands of square feet of space available. You've got all the infrastructure in place - the roads, water, and sewers. You have a port, highway access, a large supply of underused labour, all the houses, schools, sports facilities, stores - everything sitting there and it's wasted."
Second acts
The promise of tax relief is helping developers reclaim contaminated land for new industrial, commercial and residential uses. These are some of the recent successes of Hamilton's Environmental Redevelopment and Site Enhancement program.

Retail: A $1.3-million grant helped Lowe's Cos. Inc. clear petroleum waste from a site to build one of its Canadian stores.

Biofuel: A grant of $686,000 helped Biox Corp. clear contaminated fill, underground storage tanks and hundreds of empty drums from a heavy industrial site to open Canada's first commercial-scale biodiesel fuel plant.

Housing: In one of Ontario's first successful brownfield developments for residential purposes, an 11-acre former steel foundry and manufacturing site in suburban Dundas was cleared of heavy metals, petroleum waste, PCBs, solvents, asbestos and lead-based paint, with the help of a $598,575 grant, to make way for four condo towers. Kevin Marron

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 4:58 PM

I support brownfield development over the consuming of more greenfield.

Seems pretty simple to me, the brownfields are already supported by infrastructure, water, sewers, roads, transit, hospitals, etc.

Also, I think the province or the feds, should be the ones that provide the interim financing that Turkstra mentions in the article, not the city. Let's hope we can get some traction on brownfield re-development as a economic stimulant in a new Federal Government that might be forming out of the Liberals, NDP and Bloc.

Our NDP MP's might take on a whole new level of importance in the governing of Canada.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:28 PM

I've given Councillor Bratina criticism in the past (hopefully, he's taken some of it constructively). But, I also want to ensure that I measure the criticism with compliments when he does the right thing. And clearly his questioning of Rob Rossini and his "observations", is the right thing.

Thank-you Councillor Bratina for standing up for common sense, and not buying into the general "observations" presented by staff.

Hamilton Catch: http://www.hamiltoncatch.org/view_article.php?id=674

Quote:
Brownfield versus greenfield – what was said
The debate about how to fund $2 billion in water and sewer infrastructure to service the aerotropolis and other proposed growth areas has re-energized the debate of brownfield versus greenfield development. The plans include $700 million for a new sewage treatment facility.
The following exchange took place after city finance manager Rob Rossini warned councillors that the city is “caught between a rock and a hard place because we need to grow, we need to do the investment so that we can service, in particular, the 1200 acres around the airport”.
Downtown councillor Bob Bratina offered an alternative viewpoint.
“I want to go to the comment that Rob made with regard to greenfields and that’s where the people want to go. It’s generally assumed that most of your growth and commercial development and industrial development will come from the people who are already there – something like 80 percent of it. And 80 percent of our existing industrial area is in the north part of the city.
“In the last couple of years we’ve had a $60 million Bunge plant open up on a brownfield at Burlington and Victoria. We’ve had Biox open up. We’ve had Fluke Transport establish their operations from elsewhere to the old P&G site. We’ve had Steelcare which opened up in the last couple of years. We’ve had McKeill , always expanding, and they’ve introduced a barge service, a container service, from the foot of Wellington Street to Montreal. Also Siemans, I’m told, is adding people. Hamilton Speciality Bar came back from oblivion and is now going well. Five hundred more people have come back to National Steel Car which is working again.
“So I’m wondering why this greenfield thing is so entrenched as a point of view among our staff. The greenfield development – those horses left the barn during regional government. We spent $439 million on roads that have no potential to have industry or commercial developed along with them. The roads we did have, the 403 through Ancaster, went over to residential development. So all those roofs you see on the 403 should have been factory roofs. The question is why is the greenfield approach, this very costly and unsustainable approach, so entrenched when it’s evident there is huge potential for further development of our brownfields?”
Rossini replied:
“It’s not a staff position. This is just an observation. I’ve spent 16 years of my career working in high growth GTA municipalities, both the region of Halton and Mississauga. And all you have to do is take a drive along the 400 series highways in the GTA and you see the explosion of growth along the 407, the 400, parts of the QE.
“It’s not me. I’m just saying that’s an observation of the huge growth areas that have happened in the GTA in the last 20 years. When I was at the Region of Halton we did a Halton urban structure plan and they took great care that they built into those plans 3000 hectares of employment lands. That’s huge.
“And I think you’ve had Neil Everson stand here in front of you many times – that the lack of employment ready lands, to the extent that’s being planned and delivered in places like Vaughan, and Brampton and Mississauga and Halton, does impede our ability to get that type of development that wants to be in greenfields.
“It’s not the city manager, it’s not Tim [McCabe – general manager of economic development and planning]. That’s what’s happened. That’s an observation of what’s happened over the last 20 years in the GTA.”
To which Bratina responded:
“I understand that, but the fact is that we have road, rail and harbour infrastructure. We have the problem of brownfields. And I think that the onus is on us as a city with this type of infrastructure to exploit it to the best we can, rather than spending $700 million on a guess.”

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 7:36 PM

Where has all the farm land gone.

The brownfields can be re-invented but the greenfields once lost to urban sprawl is lost. are gone. Especially with local farming gaining in importance over trucking in produce and it's environmental impact.
Maybe reclaim some of the waterfront lands for living.
Everyones dream is to retire on the water. Just check out the Beach Strip.
Is a a small airstrip for floater planes or small planes feasible over old brownfields. Tarmac over dirty ground.
Large boat slips for people to live on a houseboat in the summer.
Kenora has a floater trminal and Porter Island airport is growing for commuter flights. With all the contaninated area parking would not be a problem.
Kudos to Mr. Bratina for some common sense and realistic expectations.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 9:13 PM
Closed account

“I understand that, but the fact is that we have road, rail and harbour infrastructure. We have the problem of brownfields. And I think that the onus is on us as a city with this type of infrastructure to exploit it to the best we can, rather than spending $700 million on a guess.”

Reposted for emphasis.

Halton, Mississauga, Hamilton. Hellooo, Rossini! One of these things is not like the others!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 6:48 AM
Concerned Citizen

If brownfields are so desirable, then why aren't the ones we have available filled with new businesses.

The reality is the people with money, developers, don't want anything to do with small parcels of urban land. They want large tracts of land that is cheaper for them to develope, emphasis on, cheaper for them.

Given the choice between Hamilton with minimal industrial land available in poor locations developers will take their business elsewhere. Lets face it, land on 400 series highways is much more desirable than land on Burlington St. or anyone of the side streets in Hamiltons industrial areas.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 2:09 PM

My friend is in management at a company that had five plants. When they closed one of them, I asked him why. It was because it wasn't on the highway and it cost a few extra bucks for every truckload in or out. That's what it came down to. Things are so tight in manufacturing they have to find every possible efficiency just to stay in business. If they were going to build a new plant, Hamilton would not even be considered. Not when they could put a plant on the Hanlon Parkway in Guelph, or Veteran's Memorial Hwy in London, or any of the other direct spurs off the 401 with acres of nice flat, ready to build, serviced land. I don't like it, but that's the reality.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 4:04 PM

This is because rubber-tire shipping is heavily subsidized by all of us. Until that changes, this will remain the reality...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy