HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:39 PM

Google Street View of Hamilton

As posted on CBC.ca:

Quote:
Google Street View, a feature of Google Maps that shows high-resolution street-level images on the internet, has gone live in several Canadian cities.

The service is now available in much of the Greater Toronto Area and in Vancouver and the surrounding area, north to Whistler and east to Chilliwack, B.C.

Google Street view is also available in Hamilton, Ont., Kitchener and Waterloo, Ont., Ottawa, Calgary, Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise, Montreal and the surrounding area, Quebec City, and Halifax.

The service, which is already available in cities in the U.S., the U.K., Spain, Australia, Japan and several other countries, provides close-up, 360-degree views of city streets as they would be seen by someone driving along them. The images are linked to the company's Google Maps and Google Earth applications.

Google has been filming Street View images in Canadian cities since 2007. In addition to the cities where the service is now live, Google says its camera-cars have been filming in Edmonton, Saint John, N.B., Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

Google has tried to address the privacy concerns of Street View brought up by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by adding privacy features to the service, including the automatic blurring of faces and licence plates to avoid identifying people or cars, and an easy method to request to have images removed.

A street view service provided by another company already exists in Canada. That service, which includes images of Vancouver, Whistler and Squamish, was launched by another company, Vancouver-based Canpages Inc., in March.

However, B.C. falls outside the jurisdiction of the federal privacy commissioner as its provincial laws are very similar to federal laws and take precedence within B.C.

If Canpages expands its imagery to other provinces, as it has said it intends to, then federal assistant privacy commissioner Elizabeth Denham's office would have jurisdiction, she confirmed. However, so far, the company has not contacted the federal privacy commissioner.

Google Street View was launched in the U.S. in May 2007. Four months later, privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart warned the service might not comply with federal privacy legislation, as it included images of identifiable people that had been collected without their consent.
I have been having a bit of fun doing a Hamilton virtual walkabout using Google street view. Check it out when you are bored. Also a great way to find landmarks before heading out to unfamiliar territory.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:21 PM

Whew, glad my yard work was completed on the Wednesday (garbage day) they did my street, and I only had 2 neatly packed recycle bins at the street.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:51 PM

Yeah my picture came out well too.

It looks like they choose a beautiful day at the perfect time of year. Everything is very green.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:17 PM
Closed account

Mine too. Everything nice and green, no weeds, and no toys and crap littering the driveway. We must have been away.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 10:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

HA I see my house on the mountain. Our road got resurfaced recently and you can see how bad the road used to be.

This was cleary done on garage day, Tuesday. Our house is tidy and clean but my neighbour haha a garbage bin on the front lawn and some bright green toy on the road.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 11:03 PM
It's Hammer Time

HAHA look at what I found, she seems to be hard at work

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...91.48,,2,11.18

While you are at it, spin the view around to King St and see the double trailer truck. God

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 2:31 AM

Google maps/google earth really puts things in perspective as to how Waterdown and Flamborough are so sparsely populated compared to the downtown.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
HAHA look at what I found, she seems to be hard at work

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...91.48,,2,11.18

While you are at it, spin the view around to King St and see the double trailer truck. God
Too much paperwork to issue a ticket to a truck in a no truck zone??

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:21 AM
It's Hammer Time

Guess so haha

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:18 PM

THis is not working for me in firefox at all!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:37 PM

How do you get the job of driving the street view truck...?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 3:42 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
THis is not working for me in firefox at all!
I've got firefox and it's working fine for me. What's the trouble?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 5:00 PM

Firefox was fine for me at home last night as well.

LOL, by last night they'd already removed the guy flipping the bird to the camera at the building next to where I work. One of our guys had taken a screen shot so we can still share.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 5:18 PM

is it just a regular unmarked van that they do this in? I wish they told us which day they were coming by our neighbourhood i would've come out and get my face on google earth lol

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRM View Post
is it just a regular unmarked van that they do this in? I wish they told us which day they were coming by our neighbourhood i would've come out and get my face on google earth lol
I saw one of the cars - it was a WV Beetle with a top-mount camera.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 6:14 PM
Closed account

My husband was outside his work when they came by. In this case, it was a van with the top mount camera rotating 360.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

Google is here on campus. There's a guy on his bike cycling around campus, camera mounted on his bike.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion