HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:26 AM
Needs more coffee...

all i'm seeing here is black and white, black and white.

No vaccine is perfect and there's a few things in homeopathy that aren't total crap.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 2:45 PM

A very long article with some good general health advice but some very poor advice on vaccination IMO. I think I can sum it up in a couple of sentences.

Eating right, sleeping adequately and keeping stress to a minimum will result in a healthy immune system.

Vaccines are unreliable, ineffective and possibly dangerous to you. Don't vaccinate your children, instead buy herbs, herbal medicines and herbal remedy's that you must take daily for the rest or your life. Oh, by they way, I just happen to sell and promote herbal medicines... funny how that works.

Take control of your own health and educate yourself, don't trust anyone else to have your best interests at heart.

So, trust me, herbal medicine will take care of you, just don't ask for any references to any scientific studies to support the many many many claims I just made in this article. Since herbal medicine is classified as a 'Nutritional Supplement' it does not have to undergo any testing to quantify it's safety and effectivness or reactions with other herbs or medications.

Like I said, I have yet to see an article that was negative on vaccines that wasn't also trying to promote or sell some alternative.

Last edited by BrianE; Nov 2, 2009 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 3:12 PM
Closed account

Also, this:

Negative emotions. These days anger, fear, frustration, envy and hatred are more common than happiness, contentment, compassion and love.

is dangerous, mean-spirited nonsense.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 6:02 PM

There are many things people can do to help stay healthy this flu season. Highwater, I like your good-natured post.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 3:16 AM

The only thing that could have been done differently is to give a different supplier the contract to produce the unadjuvenated vaccine, but that would only result in enough vaccine to cover another 6% of the population this week.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 4:39 PM
It's Hammer Time

Four more local H1N1 deaths

November 05, 2009
Naomi Powell
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/666952

Four more people with H1N1 influenza have died in Hamilton and Halton, as new data shows the virus is causing unprecedented levels of illness in the area.

Three women, all in their 50s and all with underlying illnesses, died in Hamilton hospitals during the past week.

Another woman in her 70s, who also had a chronic illness, became the first person in Halton Region to die of the flu.

Four people with swine flu had previously died in Hamilton.

Meanwhile, new lab data show flu illness in the area, already double the level of any previous flu season on record, has continued to rise.

The proportion of positive H1N1 tests in the area -- considered a key measure for evaluating flu activity -- rose to 48 per cent last week, up from 38 per cent a week earlier.

In an average flu season, the percentage of positive flu tests reaches 20 to 25 per cent.

"Other health units in the province are seeing a decrease in numbers so it would be surprising if we got much higher than this," said Dr. Chris Mackie, Hamilton's associate medical officer of health. "So we're either at the peak or we're close."

Health Minister Deb Matthews has warned that Ontario will run out of the regular swine flu vaccine by the end of the week -- forcing many immunization clinics to close and preventing priority groups from receiving the flu shot.

While the wait for more vaccine continues, the province will use a small cache of 189,000 doses to backstop public health units.

Yesterday, the federal government said it expects to deliver 1.8 million doses of the swine flu vaccine across the country next week. That includes one million doses of the regular vaccine and 800,000 doses of an adjuvant-free vaccine intended for pregnant women. It is not known how much of that will come to Ontario.

As of yesterday, Halton had 29,000 doses of the H1N1 shot, enough to keep its clinics open to high-priority groups until Saturday.

Hamilton had about 22,000 doses of the vaccine at the beginning of the day yesterday, and expects another shipment of 10,000 doses by the end of the week.

The city likely won't have to shut clinics down, though it will keep them restricted to high-priority groups for a little longer.

"We'd really like to go to the general public as soon as possible and it will just be a matter of when we get the doses to do that," Mackie said.

Both Halton and Hamilton have received shipments of unadjuvanted vaccine for pregnant women.

Hamilton will make its unadjuvanted doses available at its community clinics tomorrow. Women in Halton will get the doses through family doctors, said Dr. Bob Nosal, Halton's medical officer of health.

The number of H1N1 deaths in Ontario has climbed to 37, including an infant from London, Dr. Arlene King, Ontario's chief medical officer of health, said yesterday. That's up from 34 on Tuesday.

More people are also coming to the ER with flu-like symptoms.

Halton Region's first H1N1 death should serve as a reminder to older residents to receive their flu shot when it becomes available, Nosal said. Though older people are less likely to become infected with H1N1 than younger age groups, their chances of dying from the virus are higher, he said.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 3:34 AM
Needs more coffee...

I got my vaccine since there was no wait at the Jackson Square H1N1 clinic today - part of that is that I was asked by three different people if I fell into one of the priority categories before getting the shot, so I think they're being more stringent on it now.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

Flu shot clinics open to all
Expect to wait half-hour or more

November 17, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/674190

H1N1 vaccination clinics in Hamilton, Haldimand-Norfolk and Niagara are now serving the general public.

They were previously providing vaccinations only to high-risk groups.

Halton clinics are closed today pending arrival of more vaccine. The region will today determine further clinic schedules and whether it will now vaccinate the rest of the public. An update will be posted at halton.ca.

Hamilton opened its clinics to the general public mid-afternoon yesterday.

"The supply and demand are starting to match each other, so we now have sufficient vaccine on hand and we're not seeing an enormous demand that outstrips our resources," said Dr. Chris Mackie, one of Hamilton's associate medical officers of health.

Residents should be prepared to spend at least a half-hour inside the clinic and there could be longer lineups. People unable to stand in line for medical reasons should speak with a staff member when they arrive at the clinic.

Hamilton and area H1N1 flu shot clinics

Anyone can get the vaccination.

* Jackson Square, beside the passport office, 1-7 p.m., Nov. 16 to 20.

* St. Helen Catholic Elementary School, 785 Britannia Ave., 1-7 p.m., Nov. 16, 17, 18 and 20.

* Chedoke Twin Pads, 91 Chedmac Dr., 1-7 p.m., Nov. 16-20.

* Dundas Baptist Church, 201 Governor's Rd., 1-7 p.m. Nov. 16, 17, 19, 20.

* Valley Park Arena, 970 Paramount Dr., Stoney Creek, Nov. 20, 1-7 p.m.

For information, call 905-546-4161 or go to hamilton.ca/H1N1

Halton

Clinics closed today. Information on clinics for the rest of the week, call 311 or 905-825-6000 or go to the web at halton.ca.

Haldimand and Norfolk

* Kinsmen Hall, 15 Thorburn St., Cayuga, 3-7 p.m., Nov. 17 to 19.

* Simcoe Town Centre, 150 West St., Simcoe, 3-7 p.m., Nov. 17 to 19.

Niagara

* Niagara Region headquarters, 2201 St. David's Road, Thorold, 9-4 p.m., Nov. 16, 18, 20 and 21. 1-7 p.m. on Nov. 17 and 19.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion