HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 4:15 PM

Lincoln Property Co. buys 915 Wilshire and plans to upgrade the common areas, lobby, and plans to attract more creative office tenants. The building is 88% leased

https://www.bisnow.com/los-angeles/n...re-again-57788

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Aerial footage showcases construction of At Mateo

130,000 square feet of retail, 50,000 square feet of office space and a 540-car garage.

I like that they are incorporating a curvature to the pedestrian walkway. Many of the alleys in the neighborhood have such curves, left over from the rail lines (including across the street next to the Starkman building).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesnative View Post
Hanover Olympic is now open, rents start from 2,000 for a studio

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/h...49205f8bb.html
I guess the days of a reasonably sized 1 BDR are over.
The 263-unit building offers studios and one- and two-bedroom apartments, with rents starting at about $2,000 for a 540-square-foot studio, $2,200 for a 670-square-foot one-bedroom, and $3,100 for a 975-square-foot two-bedroom.
Clearly designed for either 1 person or two roommates. A lot of the new buildings are like this. It's almost impossible to find a 1 BDR in the 750-900 sqft range. I don't want a big place but working from home full time means I can't live in a closet either.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 9:20 PM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
The 263-unit building offers studios and one- and two-bedroom apartments, with rents starting at about $2,000 for a 540-square-foot studio, $2,200 for a 670-square-foot one-bedroom, and $3,100 for a 975-square-foot two-bedroom.
Clearly designed for either 1 person or two roommates. A lot of the new buildings are like this. It's almost impossible to find a 1 BDR in the 750-900 sqft range. I don't want a big place but working from home full time means I can't live in a closet either.

Every new construction should set their rental rates at the exact median of the surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I've never heard of a donut tasting "healthier" here. Maybe a fancy donut from Urth Caffé? If they even sell those.

There are a bajillion sugary, fattening, frosted up donut shop places all over SoCal.
For healthy donuts, try fōnuts, near 3rd and Crescent Heights. Their donuts aren't fried; they're steamed and/or baked. They even have gluten-free options. It's a very good place.

http://fonuts.com/flavors/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 11:38 PM

New protected bike lanes coming to main and spring .. bike lane will be protected by parked cars, Council also approved the greenway alleyway prject turning three alleys into pedestrian plazas as a test run for future projects http://la.curbed.com/2016/3/24/11301...les-bike-lanes

Last edited by losangelesnative; Mar 24, 2016 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesnative View Post
New protected bike lanes coming to main and spring .. bike lane will be protected by parked cars, Council also approved the greenway alleyway prject turning three alleys into pedestrian plazas as a test run for future projects http://la.curbed.com/2016/3/24/11301...les-bike-lanes
Hopefully they will eventually be able to do something cool with Werdin Pl. (the alleyway that runs between 4th and 5th streets, just east of Main).

That alley is mostly made up of original laid brick from probably over 100 years ago. Much of it has been paved over, but on google street view you can go inside and see if for yourself. Looks as if it could still be under the asphalt, rather than ripped up and replaced like many of LA's other stone streets.

EDIT: Looking at street view now, it looks like you can only see the southern half of the alley, south of Winston. The other side looks completely paved over or gone altogether.

Last edited by NativeOrange; Mar 25, 2016 at 2:55 AM. Reason: Addition

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:17 AM

Untitled by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 5:44 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
670 isn't exactly small for a one-bedroom IMO. My two-bedroom house is just under 900 sq.-ft.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 3:36 PM

There really needs to be more built to fill in the gap between the AON center and the PWC building.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 4:52 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's unlikely to happen from that particular view anytime soon. The only available lots that would fill that gap from that vantage point would be the surface lot at 8th and Grand (directly across Grand from the Whole Foods entrance). A tower there would have to be pretty tall (700 ft. or more) to show up from that vantage point given the distance of that lot. The half block directly across Figueroa from PWC Tower (currently the 10 story chase office building and the 60's-era 2-3 story office building) could be a candidate further down the line as it's under-utilized given it's proximity to the 7th/Metro station, but I think we're a ways out from any kind of proposal there.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
i agree. These developers are missing a bid segment of the population that would prefer an apartment thats not a shoe box yet affordable. Not every buildings needs every damn amenity imaginable

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i agree. These developers are missing a bid segment of the population that would prefer an apartment thats not a shoe box yet affordable. Not every buildings needs every damn amenity imaginable
The Washington Post had an article about this a few years ago. Clearly there are differences between Washington and LA but the high cost of land, the high cost of vertical construction, and the ability to obtain financing all push developers to build high-end apartments aimed at wealthier tenants.

"Any new development needs investors, and we cannot get that if the reward doesn’t justify the risk,” says Bozzuto. “Affordable housing, by its very nature, when it’s built, the return is de minimis. What you’re seeing is, capital flows to where it works. So what’s left is public subsidy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ashington-d-c/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 9:06 PM

So it looks like technology has created space at the Paul Hasting tower. About 3/4 of the top floor of the building; which in the past was only mechanical space, is being renovated into a new penthouse unit of office space. New glass is being installed where there once was air ducts from the machinery. I wonder if this will make its way over to the other tower

Old Posted Mar 25, 2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
There really needs to be more built to fill in the gap between the AON center and the PWC building.
The 50 story Onni tower might fill it when looking from just the right angle.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 1:17 AM

Take a look at this, that's just amazing!

https://www.skyspace-la.com/experience/

That will be a great place for tourists.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 2:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
The Washington Post had an article about this a few years ago. Clearly there are differences between Washington and LA but the high cost of land, the high cost of vertical construction, and the ability to obtain financing all push developers to build high-end apartments aimed at wealthier tenants.

"Any new development needs investors, and we cannot get that if the reward doesn’t justify the risk,” says Bozzuto. “Affordable housing, by its very nature, when it’s built, the return is de minimis. What you’re seeing is, capital flows to where it works. So what’s left is public subsidy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ashington-d-c/
Um, how about eliminate parking minimums, especially for those in transit proximity. Zoning for the auto continues to be La's biggest problem

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
So it looks like technology has created space at the Paul Hasting tower. About 3/4 of the top floor of the building; which in the past was only mechanical space, is being renovated into a new penthouse unit of office space. New glass is being installed where there once was air ducts from the machinery. I wonder if this will make its way over to the other tower
Nope, the renovations are all in the space that housed a boardroom. It is not newly created space. I have been up there for film shoots. Back then they talked about having to redo the space, I guess now they are doing so.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post

I've already hyped up all my friends about the slide. It's going to be a smashing hit!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2016, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post

Got tix for that first Saturday. Can't wait!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations