HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:00 PM

10AM announcement today that GIANT will be moving in here for the grocery store on the ground floor.

From IG:
phillychitchat
#InBox: WOW we're getting a
@GiantFoodStores
10AM Mayor Kenney to Speak at GIANT Food Stores Press Conference and Groundbreaking Event Mayor will deliver remarks at press conference to announce a significant investment in Phila by GIANT Food Stores. Where: 23rd and Arch Streets, Phila. ( I took this shot Sunday from my friends Balcony before i knew) PMC’s River Walk Towers
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1IlakelSWr/

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:04 PM

Confirmation! GIANT

"Giant Food Stores will be opening a two-level urban flagship store in downtown Philadelphia as part of the company’s growth in the city, company president Nicholas Bertram said in an interview.

The 65,000-square-foot store will open in PMC Property Group’s “River Walk” development project on the Schuylkill River’s eastern bank. This store at 60 North 23rd Street will be in Riverwalk’s Tower 1, the first of the two towers under development."
https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...-20190814.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:04 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
10AM announcement today that GIANT will be moving in here for the grocery store on the ground floor.

From IG:
phillychitchat
#InBox: WOW we're getting a
@GiantFoodStores
10AM Mayor Kenney to Speak at GIANT Food Stores Press Conference and Groundbreaking Event Mayor will deliver remarks at press conference to announce a significant investment in Phila by GIANT Food Stores. Where: 23rd and Arch Streets, Phila. ( I took this shot Sunday from my friends Balcony before i knew) PMC’s River Walk Towers
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1IlakelSWr/
I'm curious if this is their "heirloom" style grocer or the full-blown supermarket. In any case, very solid tenant for the River Walk. And, very good supermarket for the area. I like it!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I'm curious if this is their "heirloom" style grocer or the full-blown supermarket. In any case, very solid tenant for the River Walk. And, very good supermarket for the area. I like it!
The Heirlooms are tiny, like 10,000 sq ft.

This is a big boy, 2 floor market, 65,000 sq. ft.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:07 PM
Future World Dictator

Ya know, I've lived in Philly since fall 2012, and even just 3-4 years ago I was convinced that the worst part of urban living was the poor accessibility to grocery stores. Needless to say that we've had huge improvements there recently!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:07 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
The Heirlooms are tiny, like 10,000 sq ft.

This is a big boy, 2 floor market, 65,000 sq. ft.
Thanks...Nice...just saw the headline on PBJ too:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

This is gonna be awesome!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:18 PM

I thought Trader Joe's was moving to this space?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieStevens View Post
I thought Trader Joe's was moving to this space?
Yeah that was rumored here a while back - a larger footprint store. I'm a bit disappointed in this announcement, actually.

Aldi opening at 22nd and Washington + Heirloom Market & SouthSquare Market at 23rd/South + Trader Joes at 22nd and Market + Giant at 23rd and Cherry. Center City West is properly groceried.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah that was rumored here a while back - a larger footprint store. I'm a bit disappointed in this announcement, actually.

Aldi opening at 22nd and Washington + Heirloom Market & SouthSquare Market at 23rd/South + Trader Joes at 22nd and Market + Giant at 23rd and Cherry. Center City West is properly groceried.
Even though 22nd and Washington is considered "greater Center City" and west of Broad I really don't think you can categorize the grocery market the same as you would from north of Market. Very few people would be willing to walk that distance to a grocery store. I think this is a great addition to the neighborhood especially as more people move in with the riverwalk and other projects in the works.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
From the article: Giant said the new flagship store will take inspiration from the Heirloom Market model and dedicate shelf space to community vendors.

Flagship Giant, with inspiration from Heirloom.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

The second TJ's on Arch between 13th and Broad looks well into construction at this point. It has yet to be announced by TJ's corporate, so I suppose it could end up being something else, but given these rumors a few months ago and the fact that permits were pulled and work is undereway for a grocery store, I'd be surprised if it were anything else: https://philly.curbed.com/2019/1/24/...y-arch-grocery

For the record, I think this is a bizarre second play for TJ's. A suboptimal location relative to other things they could have done, but having one east of Broad should take some pressure off of the existing location.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
For the record, I think this is a bizarre second play for TJ's. A suboptimal location relative to other things they could have done, but having one east of Broad should take some pressure off of the existing location.
It would seem so to me too, but transit and highway access are obviously of top importance to TJ. The new one will be accessible to anyone who lives close to the broad Street line in South Philly and North Philly, plus its not too far from Suburban and the MFL (and 676). I live in South Philly and I will be much more likely to shop at the new one compared to the old one. If you think about it, the 22nd and Market location was probably seen as quite odd at the time it opened too. Will be interesting to see how it goes. I doubt there'll be any lack of clientele.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:24 PM

^If PMC is also working on a 30-ish floor apt building in the current parking lot of the TJ's, perhaps there is some sort of long term plan to move the TJ's into that space (brand new/bigger, etc)?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 10:52 PM

Giant is opening a two-level flagship store in Center City Philadelphia

https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...medium=ios_app

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Giant is opening a two-level flagship store in Center City Philadelphia

https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...medium=ios_app
Wow. Those renderings look amazing.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanGrad View Post
Wow. Those renderings look amazing.
Agreed, but the Giant logo looks dated on the brand new sleek glass designs hahah.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 2:44 AM

They're putting a GIANT at this location? What a huge letdown.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:04 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
They're putting a GIANT at this location? What a huge letdown.

A flagship full service supermarket in Center City is a letdown? That was the absolute best possible outcome for this location.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post

A flagship full service supermarket in Center City is a letdown? That was the absolute best possible outcome for this location.
exactly, the most cosmopolitan and successful downtowns have a full plate of amenties, including places to buy food. What would be a better fit? A Gucci store?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive