HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:01 AM

They'll subdivide it to make room for a pizza place and a dental office.

Tilleul on King Street is closing. Honestly had no idea it existed before. https://huddle.today/downtown-freder...tique-closing/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 PM

Some construction notes in the city. Sorry, no pictures.

* Saint Mary's Entertainment Complex: A large building is going up with the large canopy for gas pumps. This is much more than just a gas bar. It looks like it will have a significant store front, probably with restaurants and/or VLT lounges. This may be a scaled up version of what Eagle's nest has up in Woodstock.

* Station Point: This is a huge new apartment complex being built at the end of the walking bridge on the north side. The foundation basically stretches from Union street to the arena (or at least to Coachman road). They have steel framework going up there too from what I glimpsed as I went by yesterday.

* Carleton street: Pillars are up but most of the work is still basically the foundation and first level.

* Main street, next to Shoppers: This is a wood frame building. They are putting the joists in for the second story now. I'm sure the cold has really slowed this project down, but it is still going.

* Carzone? Royal Road at Barton Crescent: I always forget the name of this place even though there are signs up; it's a car service place that is building a new location just off Royal Road near the Ring road. Foundation was done before Christmas so walls should be going up soon.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 7:15 PM

I guess it's going to be an interesting summer between RustiCo and Graystone!

Quote:
RustiCo, one of Fredericton's newest restaurants welcomes Doug Williams as its new General Manager effective Monday January 21st, 2019. Doug brings with him many years of experience in the restaurant industry, most recently as previous owner of King Street Ale House.

"This is great news and we are very excited to be working with one of the best restauranteurs in the city, who has always shown great leadership and the experience he brings will be valued tremendously moving forward." says co-owner Gabriel Elzayat.

"I am really excited to get started and be a part of opening Fredericton's newest microbrewery." Says Doug Williams. "One of my first tasks will be working alongside brewer John Evans to launch King West Brewing in the upcoming weeks. After tasting the products, I am sure they will become new favourites among beer enthusiasts and even the occasional beer drinkers will be impressed with their quality.

RustiCo opened in the summer of 2018, and is situated on the corner of King and Westmorland in Downtown Fredericton. RustiCo features a wood fired pizza oven and employs 35 full and part time staff.

"2019 is going to be a great year and we are looking forward to launching our brewery within the next month and are very happy that Doug is joining our passionate team at RustiCo. I know he will be able to lead our team well and has a lot of great ideas and experience to make that happen" Said co-owner Mike Babineau. "The brewery will pair nicely with our amazing food and can't wait for everyone to try it!"

Please join us in welcoming Doug next week and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
I guess it's going to be an interesting summer between RustiCo and Graystone!
Looks like Mr Williams had a back-up plan following the close of King Street Ale

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 2:52 PM

The all wheel sports plaza is being moved to the eastern edge of the York Street parking lot which is resulting in no loss of parking spaces: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-inc-1.4978279

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 3:59 PM

That location was already chosen, what's changed is the approval from council.

The advantage to this for me is that by edging the spaces and park closer to Saint Annes Point Dr, it sets the stage for the future when the cloverleafs are removed and there are sidewalks and lower speed limit.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:02 PM

Yeah the plan looks good to me.

I was curious one of the councillors said that the armory space might be coming onto the market and the Plaza might block plans for that area. I wasn't aware of any hints of such plans, and I'm sure the "Keep everything historic!" groups would be up at arms if anyone tried to change anything significantly with the armory area. (and for once I would probably support them there, depending on the proposed plans).

In any case, I do hope they have a clear distinction between the parking and driveway areas and the skateboarding areas. Looking at the plan there, there are 2 entrances to side parking lots that need to be maintained, so there would be a driveway beside the plaza. Keeping them separated cleanly will go a long way for safety.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
That location was already chosen, what's changed is the approval from council.
Did you read the article? Initially it was going to be located a bit to the west, and there was going to be parking on both sides of it. But they moved it east and the design change means there is no net loss in parking spaces.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I was curious one of the councillors said that the armory space might be coming onto the market and the Plaza might block plans for that area. I wasn't aware of any hints of such plans,
I know DND has wanted to get out of there for some time (at least ten or so years). Space in the Armoury is very tight, and I suspect that they're paying a lot of money to heat the original part of the building. Flooding is a bit of a nuisance there as well. (There's a partial basement that has to be completely emptied every few years.)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 12:27 PM

There are some surveying stakes in the food truck lot across from the Tannery. I wonder if something is in the works for that empty lot?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj6286 View Post
There are some surveying stakes in the food truck lot across from the Tannery. I wonder if something is in the works for that empty lot?
My understanding is the lot was purchased (with the old building that was on it) with the intent to redevelop it, but there were issues because the old red building behind it needs to remain accessible and that delayed the project. Would be nice to see something fill that space in.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
The Fredericton International Airport (YFC) hosted 424,324 passengers in 2018, an almost 7 per cent increase over the previous year. This is the first time in the airport’s history it has reached the 400,000 passenger milestone. It also marks the 9th consecutive year of record-breaking traffic growth at YFC.
https://yfcfredericton.ca/Latest-New...LYQ12LQjEYs0g8

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:57 PM

Quote:
I can't remember the details but do recall there is to be some sort of infill project in that spot. I know the land was sold and is to be redeveloped

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Great news. Nice to see the terminal construction start in the spring. Long overdue

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 6:18 PM

Hopefully the Airport project is safe from Higg's bean counters. Would hate for them to break ground on the terminal work, only for Higgs to nix it and force them to bury it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Hopefully the Airport project is safe from Higg's bean counters. Would hate for them to break ground on the terminal work, only for Higgs to nix it and force them to bury it.
Nope. Higgs said that this was one that they support. So all good

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 9:50 PM

I don't recall seeing this posted here yet... Apologies if it has been.

Heard last night that PetSmart is moving out of the Corbett Centre over to one half of the old Sobeys. Apparently, this will result in significant increase in space for them so that they can stock a wider variety of things.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:55 PM

Rumours from the Fredericton Daily News FB group:

- The old Sears is going to be subdivided into The Brick, Dollarama, and Urban Planet. This would support the theory that PetSmart would potentially take over Urban Planets place in Uptown Centre. Also that Dollarama on Prospect would close.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:40 AM

The transition to Starbucks in Kings Place is in full swing and that area is walled off and the windows blacked out.

I’m not sure if this is news or not, but the new Muse Café on Regent between Queen and King seems to be coming along nicely. I wonder if they will have room for a stage and live performances?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 2:30 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure if this is news or not, but the new Muse Café on Regent between Queen and King seems to be coming along nicely. I wonder if they will have room for a stage and live performances?
From the Tipsy Muse FB Page:

It’s Official!!! We will open tomorrow, Saturday, January 19th at 1pm!!!! The Motorleague will be perfoming an accoustic show for us TOMORROW NIGHT @7pm (not February 19th as shown in the vids typo). Tickets for this show will go on sale AT THE MUSE @ 15$ and only 60 are being sold. First come first served!!!!!! No holds ������������������������

Let’s do this Fredericton!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces