HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 5:00 PM

Interesting and pretty big parcel just listed for sale on S Broad. The Post Office and attached building/lot at Broad and Castle. 1713-1721 S Broad. Total lot size is just under 14,000 sqft but RSA5 zoning will limit the options.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post
The old FDR golf course was poorly situated. Because of drainage problems, in a former wetlands area, sections were often unusable.

The newest plan responds to the protests over the version that was put together in 2019, and it is an improvement. The recreational fields are more concentrated together, allowing more natural areas to survive. But still, virtually half of the present "Meadows" is given over to recreation and buildings — 12 artificial-turf soccer fields, four baseball diamonds, tennis courts, basket ball courts, a playground, and automobile parking. In my opinion, it is still too much. For one thing, I would suggest removing three of the soccer fields from the central "The Fields" area and slightly relocating the basketball courts in order to preserve that area for meadows.
My kid is an athlete and I lived for over 20 years across from the Mount Airy Ballfield. and few things NIMBYs say that get me more upset than when they fight the building of recreational fields in favor of fallow areas. We live in the middle of one of the largest metropolitan areas of the country, the demand for such facilities is off the charts, and the typical ballfield, lacrosse field or soccer field can serve hundreds of athletes. I ask the environmentalist -- How environmentally conscious is it to have people drive 30 minutes or more to get their kids to practice every day? (Not to mention that financially strapped families might not be able to afford even that commute.) I admit it -- I care more about the City's residents having someplace to exercise than I do the sparrows having their meadows. There is a national wildlife preserve right near by they can go to. Nothing screams more entitled to me than a bunch of neighbors who want to have empty fields nearby where virtually no one goes. Latches Lane, part 2.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 6:18 PM

I had a friend in town from Grand Rapids this weekend who had never been to Philly before. He was thoroughly blown away. A couple of friends who are even from the area also hadn't realized that Northern Liberties is what it is.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Mount Airy View Post
My kid is an athlete and I lived for over 20 years across from the Mount Airy Ballfield. and few things NIMBYs say that get me more upset than when they fight the building of recreational fields in favor of fallow areas. We live in the middle of one of the largest metropolitan areas of the country, the demand for such facilities is off the charts, and the typical ballfield, lacrosse field or soccer field can serve hundreds of athletes. I ask the environmentalist -- How environmentally conscious is it to have people drive 30 minutes or more to get their kids to practice every day? (Not to mention that financially strapped families might not be able to afford even that commute.) I admit it -- I care more about the City's residents having someplace to exercise than I do the sparrows having their meadows. There is a national wildlife preserve right near by they can go to. Nothing screams more entitled to me than a bunch of neighbors who want to have empty fields nearby where virtually no one goes. Latches Lane, part 2.
I'd agree if these meadows were solely about sparrows and if we were measuring their success based on how many people look at them.

That these meadows become a refuge for wild life is a happy side effect. Most importantly these meadows are a critical form of storm water management. In case you haven't been paying attention to what is projected for the future, storm water management may be a bit more important than a few soccer fields.

There are other places you can build a soccer field if that's a major priority for you where there isn't a critical need for a meadow.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
I admit it -- I care more about the City's residents having someplace to exercise than I do the sparrows having their meadows.
On the flip side, far more people use open parks for recreation and exercise than sports fields. They're exclusionary space if you don't play the sport.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I'd agree if these meadows were solely about sparrows and if we were measuring their success based on how many people look at them.

That these meadows become a refuge for wild life is a happy side effect. Most importantly these meadows are a critical form of storm water management. In case you haven't been paying attention to what is projected for the future, storm water management may be a bit more important than a few soccer fields.

There are other places you can build a soccer field if that's a major priority for you where there isn't a critical need for a meadow.
Yeah, I don't agree at all.

Disclaimer: I have been a member of Friends of FDR for a number of years now and have become highly opinionated on the subject after spending years picking up trash there.

1. The reality is "the nature being erased" isn't at FDR park. It's on the South side of PHL, near John Heinz, were the new cargo facilities are going.

https://www.phl.org/newsroom/FDR-wetlands-update

2. The new "Wetlands" along with the water management stuff is the environmental answer to the destruction of the other part. It's a bit of a two-birds-one-stone deal, since FDR has serve flooding problems for a lot of the year. The new Wetlands mitigates that issue.

3. The area where the "controversial" Soccer Fields are going is right along Pattison and Penrose sides, where absolutely no one walks for "nature". A lot of outraged hipsters will post videoes of the meadows to the west of where the Asian market setups up. That area isn't going anywhere besides if the elevation needs to change due to flooding.

I love FDR and look forward to the new master plan being implemented.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Yeah, I don't agree at all.

Disclaimer: I have been a member of Friends of FDR for a number of years now and have become highly opinionated on the subject after spending years picking up trash there.

1. The reality is "the nature being erased" isn't at FDR park. It's on the South side of PHL, near John Heinz, were the new cargo facilities are going.

https://www.phl.org/newsroom/FDR-wetlands-update

2. The new "Wetlands" along with the water management stuff is the environmental answer to the destruction of the other part. It's a bit of a two-birds-one-stone deal, since FDR has serve flooding problems for a lot of the year. The new Wetlands mitigates that issue.

3. The area where the "controversial" Soccer Fields are going is right along Pattison and Penrose sides, where absolutely no one walks for "nature". A lot of outraged hipsters will post videoes of the meadows to the west of where the Asian market setups up. That area isn't going anywhere besides if the elevation needs to change due to flooding.

I love FDR and look forward to the new master plan being implemented.
1. Who cares where the where the nature is being erased? The fact is that much of south Philadelphia including all of FDR park was once wetlands and that nature has been erased. I'm obviously not advocating to return south Philadelphia to the wild but I think we need to be clear eyed about the realities of what will need to be done to protect Philadelphia as flooding becomes more sever. Anyone who goes to the park often knows there is storm water management issue. They're erasing 45 acres of land that used to soak up water by the airport. They're only replacing it with 33 acres in fdr Park. How is the storm water issue going to improve?

2.I understand that. I just happen to think there should be more than 33 acres of meadow at FDR. How can we not even break even when flooding will just get worse. I'm not a friend of FDR park or anything like that. I go maybe a couple times a year. And honestly considering the company I'm likely to keep at FDR includes a 5 year old and 1 year old, a place somewhat nearby where we can take somewhat of a nature hike and see some wild animals will likely me draw me there more frequently than a dozen regulation soccer fields.

3.if you look at the plan, the fields are actually all over the place.

I count 12 soccer fields. I mean, I just don't understand why 12 soccer fields are needed. At least knock out the 3 in the bottom left by 26th street and you can make the meadow much larger.

And again, I don't really care if the meadows will draw a ton of people. How often will all 12 soccer fields be in use? The place to walk and enjoy nature will be there for those who choose to take advantage, but the main purpose is storm water management, which may not be exciting but is necessary, not just for people who go to enjoy FDR, but anyone who experiences flooding that happens in part because we do not allow enough rain water to be retained and send far to much through sewers and into the rivers.

Last edited by allovertown; Aug 23, 2022 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
1. Who cares where the where the nature is being erased? The fact is that much of south Philadelphia including all of FDR park was once wetlands and that nature has been erased. I'm obviously not advocating to return south Philadelphia to the wild but I think we need to be clear eyed about the realities of what will need to be done to protect Philadelphia as flooding becomes more sever. Anyone who goes to the park often knows there is storm water management issue. They're erasing 45 acres of land that used to soak up water by the airport. They're only replacing it with 33 acres in fdr Park. How is the storm water issue going to improve?

2.I understand that. I just happen to think there should be more than 33 acres of meadow at FDR. How can we not even break even when flooding will just get worse. I'm not a friend of FDR park or anything like that. I go maybe a couple times a year. And honestly considering the company I'm likely to keep at FDR includes a 5 year old and 1 year old, a place somewhat nearby where we can take somewhat of a nature hike and see some wild animals will likely me draw me there more frequently than a dozen regulation soccer fields.

3.if you look at the plan, the fields are actually all over the place.

I count 12 soccer fields. I mean, I just don't understand why 12 soccer fields are needed. At least knock out the 3 in the bottom left by 26th street and you can make the meadow much larger.

And again, I don't really care if the meadows will draw a ton of people. How often will all 12 soccer fields be in use? The place to walk and enjoy nature will be there for those who choose to take advantage, but the main purpose is storm water management, which may not be exciting but is necessary, not just for people who go to enjoy FDR, but anyone who experiences flooding that happens in part because we do not allow enough rain water to be retained and send far to much through sewers and into the rivers.
Storm water management needs to be applied to the whole region not just PHL airport. While they need another 12 acres, we have other places like the stadiums parking lots and highways that need to offset this stormwater as well. Philadelphia is building lots of rain gardens, storm water bumpouts, stormwater planters, stormwater trees, etc. Take a look around the city. It's small but we need thousands of them throughout the city especially in the suburbs.

New buildings will need to have good storm water management as well. Take a look at the Dwell on 2nd street. They have a bunch of rain gardens that don't directly go to the sewers.

Last edited by DeltaNerd; Aug 23, 2022 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 4:37 AM

Quote:
I admit it -- I care more about the City's residents having someplace to exercise than I do the sparrows having their meadows. There is a national wildlife preserve right near by they can go to. Nothing screams more entitled to me than a bunch of neighbors who want to have empty fields nearby where virtually no one goes. Latches Lane, part 2.
FDR is the only large park that we have in South Philadelphia, and the only place that is readily accessible where a resident can walk along creeks and through woods and meadows. It is not at all "empty fields where no one goes." Since the Meadows area was opened to the public a few years ago, many people of all ages have used it for hiking, picnicking, and nature studies. My neighbors down the block, for example, have their two young children enrolled in a nature program at the Meadows.

Nor are these people "entitled" or "hipsters," as some on this board have charged. Anyone who visits FDR Park will see that the people who use it are overwhelmingly working class, including many people of color, reflecting the population of the city as a whole, and especially South Philadelphia.

I think that the new plans for FDR have many excellent features — but there is still room for significant improvements. I suggested here that three of the projected soccer fields in the central section be eliminated in favor of retaining the meadow-like picnic area that is currently there. Such a compromise would still leave nine artificial turf soccer fields. Aren't nine enough?

Moreover, there is plenty of open ground outside the park where soccer fields could be constructed, if necessary. The large parking lot just north of the park at 20th & Pattison would accommodate a couple of fields, for instance. And if Comcast would construct a multi-story garage next to the stadiums, that would open parking space for soccer fields too. After all, the stadiums area once used to be part of what was called League Island Park — why not make a piece of it into a recreational area once again?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 10:31 AM

That picture of the park wasn’t the most recent one. The driving range was going down the Penrose side, but that was ditched in the last update for more of the Meadows. But of course, the “protestors” don’t want a compromise. They want to stomp their feet and cry until they get their way 100%. “Immigrant Kids having a safe place to play soccer? I need to protest that!! Where will I be able to walk my Great Dane! It is not enough!”

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Aug 23, 2022 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Guy suggests maybe we only need eight artificial turf soccer fields at FDR and you call him a NIMBY?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 1:46 PM

Could these be part of the requirement for practice fields for World Cup 2026?

I remember hearing something about that a while back.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 3:42 PM

No CDR uploads today?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Guy suggests maybe we only need eight artificial turf soccer fields at FDR and you call him a NIMBY?
There's real demand for the fields there. On the weekends, baseball/softball tournaments happen, tennis clubs, skateboard competitions. The fields are a nice asset. The new ones will get a lot of use and allow the parks and recs department to host more events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Could these be part of the requirement for practice fields for World Cup 2026?

I remember hearing something about that a while back.
Yes, one of the asks from FIFA was to create more training grounds space. And this is an important point because the few people I have met who really oppose the new plans, when you get down to the nitty-gritty, their motivations go a lot farther than losing some green space. These people believe that Philadelphia should not play host to any event that paints the city in a positive light.

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Aug 23, 2022 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
There's real demand for the fields there. On the weekends, baseball/softball tournaments happen, tennis clubs, skateboard competitions. The fields are a nice asset. The new ones will get a lot of use and allow the parks and recs department to host more events.
Is the plan to get rid of the Little League fields down there as well?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:21 PM
Chris

Community College of Philadelphia hopes to 'usher in a new era' with $33M career center (Photos)

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-learning.html

The Community College of Philadelphia is looking to make post-secondary education for high-demand careers more attainable through its Career and Advanced Technology Center in West Philadelphia. The new facility will seek to prepare student for the fields of automotive technology, health care and manufacturing.

At the Career and Advanced Technology Center, or CATC, students can train for more than 20 associate degree and certificate programs.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Is the plan to get rid of the Little League fields down there as well?
I was under the impression the baseball fields were not going anywhere.

One change I really wish to see is if vehicle traffic could be cut off of most of the loop road around the park. People park all over the place and drive too fast. I wish it was just for walking and biking.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Community College of Philadelphia hopes to 'usher in a new era' with $33M career center (Photos)

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-learning.html

The Community College of Philadelphia is looking to make post-secondary education for high-demand careers more attainable through its Career and Advanced Technology Center in West Philadelphia. The new facility will seek to prepare student for the fields of automotive technology, health care and manufacturing.

At the Career and Advanced Technology Center, or CATC, students can train for more than 20 associate degree and certificate programs.
Love it. Looks like an excellent facility to train people in in-demand fields.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
No CDR uploads today?
Probably tomorrow I guess. They're usually uploaded on Tuesday or Wednesday

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 7:08 PM

Updates on Frankford Ave. South of Girard

1148 Frankford Avenue current progress:

1148 Frankford Avenue renderings:

1144 Frankford Avenue current progress:

1144 Frankford Avenue rendering:

1120 Frankford Avenue current site:

1120 Frankford Avenue renderings:

Frankford & N. Delaware Avenue current site:

Frankford & N. Delaware Avenue renderings:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...t-term-rentals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development