HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 2:17 AM

My understanding from back when it was developed was that the second tower at CPE was supposed to be the residential component, not additional office.

Also, someone made a comment about the south facade of the Y expansion. It is on a zero lot line, any possible future building to the south could also sit right up on it. This is why it has a blank wall with no windows on that side.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:02 PM

The Reynolds Center

Anyone have details on the Reynolds center? Is that for real and if so when do the break ground? Would be first major High-rise since Palmor hotel! Plus if design is correct would dwarf the CPE tower Gotta be over 450 feet with that drawing! Not sure why if this is real, that its not getting a lot of action on this site!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
Anyone have details on the Reynolds center? Is that for real and if so when do the break ground? Would be first major High-rise since Palmor hotel! Plus if design is correct would dwarf the CPE tower Gotta be over 450 feet with that drawing! Not sure why if this is real, that its not getting a lot of action on this site!
No, unfortunately you misread the post. The Reynolds Center already exists at ASU in the Cronkite Bldg. What you see was the first proposed rendering for 1 CPE from 2005 or 2006 that would have integrated ASU into its much larger footprint. The school built its own structure, Cronkite, and 1 CPE now houses the Westin and HQ for Freeport McMoRan. I believe that the recession dealt that larger building a blow since it incorporated a much taller office tower.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 8:38 PM

Need One Real Tower PLZ

Ugh should have knew! Driving in to downtown from I-10 heading east gives you a image of a real skyline in Phoenix best sight of downtown in my mind. If we could just get a couple of real high-rises around the westward Ho near central and 1street between Fillmore and Garfield those empty lots are skyline could be real good! By real high-rises I mean 650-1000 feet! Will Never have a real Skyline in till we at least have one signature Big Tower! And those lots are some of the few downtown we could build that high!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
Ugh should have knew! Driving in to downtown from I-10 heading east gives you a image of a real skyline in Phoenix best sight of downtown in my mind. If we could just get a couple of real high-rises around the westward Ho near central and 1street between Fillmore and Garfield those empty lots are skyline could be real good! By real high-rises I mean 650-1000 feet! Will Never have a real Skyline in till we at least have one signature Big Tower! And those lots are some of the few downtown we could build that high!
Moved to the Phoenix Development thread...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 9:09 PM

UofA has put up a webcam for the Cancer Center construction:

http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/webcam/CancerCenter.aspx

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 11:16 PM
Skyriser

Also, re the cancer center, from Downtown Voices:

...The tower crane will be erected August 23. And we understand that tonight, August 21, will be busy: "We will have the biggest placement for concrete on the project overnight on August 21. HP will be pouring the walls for the linear accelerators which will involve over 50 concrete trucks, 2 pumps and over 500 cubic yards of concrete."

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 3:33 AM

Sorry for the negative rant, as always. happy to debate and discuss if you keep it civil.

So, what was awesome about the "Reynolds Center" was that it was really our first taste at what ASU as going to transform downtown into. In that development, we would've ultimately had a major HQ (Freeport), midscale hotel (Westin), highrise estudent residential, educationial office and classroom space and retail. This was would've been the perfect iconic city tallest (as it was planned to be) - a true symbol of our city's rebirth and the imact higher education in urban cores.

At the time, we still has the Ramada hotel, which could've been readapted into a boutique hotel at the least, connecting to the eventual Taylor place that promised 3 mid rise dorms with a pedestrian paseo connecting Arizona Center, through a new civic park (which was to be temporarily named Civic Space), pass a strip of historic bars and the Westward Ho to its north and connect to the new private apartments being built along 2nd. Troughout this paseo would be retail and give downtown its Mill Ave, a true urban scene that made smart choices of land use and let students, office workers and downtown residents all enjoy new buildings, services and amenities in a centralized location.

Looking at the 2020 map is truly disappointing. Sure, it's great that by 2020, we will have a few more lots filled, but at what cost? all construction has been low rise, aside from Taylor Place, OCPE was stripped of ASU affiliation, the Ramada was demolished for a parking lot, the Taylor mall/paseo has brought little to no retail that services anyone but students, and the buildings in totality have done little to benefit Phoenix the city, aside from Civic Space park (whose name never changed, btw).

All I see in this map is a conntinuation of gobbling up precious downtown land for low rise, one-use projects that will do little to connect to the community and will leave a massive hole in the urban fabric, especially true during summer months.

The only smart project I see is the law school property, but that's only because I like the mix of uses and height, and the residential component. But, that lot shouldn't even be available. A renovated Ramada should've been another organic link between CityScape and Roosevelt.

Take a walk from CityScape to Roosevelt one day and feel how cold you are. The only times you'll feel yourself getting a sense of community is on Monroe and the small area near RumBar. Otherwise, it's cold, clinical, walled-off ASU buildings.

Better than blight? Yes. More residents (September to May)? Yes. But, overall, this campus is almost less urban than Tempe's and I think its a real shame how much land they gobbled up instead of being creative, building vertical, utilizing historic warehouses for classrooms and historicmbuildings for dorms and event spaces, etc.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Sorry for the negative rant, as always. happy to debate and discuss if you keep it civil.

So, what was awesome about the "Reynolds Center" was that it was really our first taste at what ASU as going to transform downtown into. In that development, we would've ultimately had a major HQ (Freeport), midscale hotel (Westin), highrise estudent residential, educationial office and classroom space and retail. This was would've been the perfect iconic city tallest (as it was planned to be) - a true symbol of our city's rebirth and the imact higher education in urban cores.

At the time, we still has the Ramada hotel, which could've been readapted into a boutique hotel at the least, connecting to the eventual Taylor place that promised 3 mid rise dorms with a pedestrian paseo connecting Arizona Center, through a new civic park (which was to be temporarily named Civic Space), pass a strip of historic bars and the Westward Ho to its north and connect to the new private apartments being built along 2nd. Troughout this paseo would be retail and give downtown its Mill Ave, a true urban scene that made smart choices of land use and let students, office workers and downtown residents all enjoy new buildings, services and amenities in a centralized location.

Looking at the 2020 map is truly disappointing. Sure, it's great that by 2020, we will have a few more lots filled, but at what cost? all construction has been low rise, aside from Taylor Place, OCPE was stripped of ASU affiliation, the Ramada was demolished for a parking lot, the Taylor mall/paseo has brought little to no retail that services anyone but students, and the buildings in totality have done little to benefit Phoenix the city, aside from Civic Space park (whose name never changed, btw).

All I see in this map is a conntinuation of gobbling up precious downtown land for low rise, one-use projects that will do little to connect to the community and will leave a massive hole in the urban fabric, especially true during summer months.

The only smart project I see is the law school property, but that's only because I like the mix of uses and height, and the residential component. But, that lot shouldn't even be available. A renovated Ramada should've been another organic link between CityScape and Roosevelt.

Take a walk from CityScape to Roosevelt one day and feel how cold you are. The only times you'll feel yourself getting a sense of community is on Monroe and the small area near RumBar. Otherwise, it's cold, clinical, walled-off ASU buildings.

Better than blight? Yes. More residents (September to May)? Yes. But, overall, this campus is almost less urban than Tempe's and I think its a real shame how much land they gobbled up instead of being creative, building vertical, utilizing historic warehouses for classrooms and historicmbuildings for dorms and event spaces, etc.
Wah wah wah! That area has been one of the best things to happen to downtown in a long time so it is hard to criticize. It will also be getting better as time goes by and a need arises. Ultimately, the job of ASU downtown is to educate students and not to provide a sense of community with the surrounding areas. Downtown Phoenix has a ridiculous amount of undeveloped space and pointing out flaws of things that are actually filling empty lots and bringing people downtown is counter productive.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
So, what was awesome about the "Reynolds Center" was that it was really our first taste at what ASU as going to transform downtown into. In that development, we would've ultimately had a major HQ (Freeport), midscale hotel (Westin), highrise estudent residential, educationial office and classroom space and retail.
With 1 CPE as originally proposed, Westin would not have been part of the plan. From old sources I have found online, it is not clear if Freeport McMoRan would have occupied the office space either. It would have been a great building for its height but it would have combined too many uses in one building. In that case, many students wouldn't have left the building at all until their day was over or if they had another class at the UC.

Quote:
At the time, we still has the Ramada hotel, which could've been readapted into a boutique hotel at the least, connecting to the eventual Taylor place that promised 3 mid rise dorms with a pedestrian paseo connecting Arizona Center, through a new civic park, pass a strip of historic bars and the Westward Ho to its north and connect to the new private apartments being built along 2nd. Troughout this paseo would be retail and give downtown its Mill Ave, a true urban scene that made smart choices of land use and let students, office workers and downtown residents all enjoy new buildings, services and amenities in a centralized location.
As it turns out, it was a blessing in disguise that downtown was ridden of the Ramada, allowing the city to clean out the enormous rat population that nested below the structure. That alone was a problem that would have caused so many issues if any type of renovation were to happen. It was also an ugly building, even in its heyday it was not very appealing and rather plain. The plan for the 3rd mid-rise at Taylor Place is still in the pipeline, it will just be a few years before it is actually built. The university is reviewing its needs for housing this year more carefully since the overflow occurred. The paseo was created with more to come. A Midfirst Bank Branch recently opened at the Corner of the UC on Taylor Mall (paseo). When the the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law and The Center for Law, Society and Innovation are built on the parking lot that was formerly the Ramada, it will be great for the area. Lastly, I love the way Civic Space Park turned out as the greenspace was needed.

Quote:
Looking at the 2020 map is truly disappointing. Sure, it's great that by 2020, we will have a few more lots filled, but at what cost? all construction has been low rise..(whose name never changed, btw).
None of ASU's buildings are low-rise, they are all mid-rise by definition. The shortest building is the historic Post Office. The 2020 map is intriguing but too vague; I want more details before I decide that I will be disappointed. One thing I will agree with you on is that I do not like the name "Civic Space Park" ... although I don't hate it either.

Quote:
All I see in this map is a continuation of gobbling up precious downtown land for low rise, one-use projects that will do little to connect to the community and will leave a massive hole in the urban fabric, especially true during summer months.
The downtown campus has a finite footprint which is why future buildings will be taller and that area will be dense with ASU buildings. Even during the summer that place will feel busy in the coming years. I've already seen more students in the southern half of downtown around CityScape and I expect this will continue to be the case as Taylor Place is at capacity and students will start leaving their vicinity to look for other dining, recreational, and retail options. I am extremely interested in seeing future rendering for ASU buildings because the university has a chance to better integrate them as part of the neighborhood.

Quote:
Of course this is a matter of opinion, but I do not find the ASU buildings cold or clinical in the least! I have always found the copper clad nursing building unique and the Cronkite BLDG modern along with Taylor Place. The things I hate most about that area are the apartment and condo complexes (The Met and St. Croix Villas).

Quote:
That campus still has yet to mature, with more students in the future it will be lively all year long. Many of the programs housed downtown are year round with different centers requiring office space and employees (Reynolds, PBS, Law, Nursing, etc.). I don't think the university campus really needs to be vertical (as in mostly highrise structures) but it does need to be dense and by definition a university like ASU is just that. Closer to build-out you will have tons of students traversing between Taylor Place, the Y, Student Center @ the Post Office, and the different academic buildings.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Aug 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 6:53 AM

Not to forget DPC taking occupancy in downtown's undesirables/failed projects like Mercado and recently with some parts of Arizona Center.

Before the Professional Building was bought this year:

Quote:
University Planning Senior Vice President Richard Stanley said there was interest in the building in the past, but problems arose when trying to make use of the building for classrooms.

Stanley said the building is better suited for housing units because the floors are too small for classroom space.

“We never got to the point where costs were discussed,” he said. “It’s a neat old building, and we want to see it put to good use, but it is just not right for the University’s needs at the moment.”

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 10:15 PM

(Photo source)

Arizona State University Boosts Downtown Phoenix Development

Quote:
Arizona State University has drastically changed downtown Phoenix since it opened there in 2006. The school’s growth downtown has also led to a lot of new private development.

A new $25 million Sun Devil Fitness Complex opened recently for more than 10,000 students at ASU’s Downtown Phoenix Campus. It connects to the Lincoln Family YMCA, so students and members can use both gyms. The new building has multiple classrooms and an indoor jogging track.

ASU assistant to the dean of students Tania Mendes said students will use gym equipment in their studies.

"It's a hands on experience, you know. A lot of the health and nutrition majors will be able to come over and facilitate that, we have a lot of students that are in the nursing major that are personal trainers and you know, getting that hands-on experience, so, the students are really engaged," Mendes said.

The gym also has a rooftop pool. The view from above shows a downtown skyline that has changed a lot over the last several years.

Jeremy Legg is the economic development program manager for the city of Phoenix. He said ASU has contributed to the city’s increased tax revenues since opening.

City properties like Civic Space Park and the A.E. England Building host multiple campus events, and Legg said private projects, like new apartment complex Roosevelt Point, have also done well because of more students.

"Private investment in and around the campus has been in the hundreds of millions of dollars. The revenues that the city recieves since the campus has opened in this area have just grown tremendously, for outpacing what anybody could have even hoped for," Legg said.

Legg said the relationship between the city and the school will lead to even more growth like ASU’s law school, which plans to relocate from Tempe to downtown by 2016.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 11:28 PM
Skyriser

I'm sorry, but I really hate that building. It's brutalism meeting modernism and failing at both. And that support for it really throws it off and makes it look totally forced and inelegant.

And what's with ASU putting their generic logo on every last building without any indication of what that building is? Seems overdone.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It's brutalism meeting modernism and failing at both.
Nice description.

It looks pretty bad but better than what I thought when it was under construction.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Nice description.

It looks pretty bad but better than what I thought when it was under construction.
I agree with your comment, Nick. It looks a lot better than when it was under construction.

However, the 'brutalism meeting modernism' by an earlier poster is downright laughable.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 4:50 PM
Skyriser

^ The top is brutalist, the bottom is modern, and it's an ugly clash. Wtf?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:28 PM

OK, fully prepared to get hammered for this opinion, but I kind of like it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
OK, fully prepared to get hammered for this opinion, but I kind of like it.
I'm with you. I really like getting off the train at Van Buren and seeing this instead of a parking lot. And the one tree up on the rooftop, by the pool, looks pretty neat.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:54 PM
Skyriser

Seeing a building instead of a parking lot is an incredibly low standard for architecture.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 7:40 PM

Imagine if we got just a box building...... I like this building. The angles are unique, the building materials are varied, the glass windows are big, the tall metal pillar..... overall, I like it.

Are there better buildings around? Of course. There are always better somewhere.

Some people will complain about everything. Too bad. They miss out on the positives around. Life isn't perfect. Move on.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest