HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Whatever happened to the Plans for PECO to continue to have a sub-station on the property? Isn't that where the new construction is sited?

Personally, I wish the City as much as possible would do what it can to limit non-CC office space to neighborhood insurance offices and similar. If you need 10K sq.ft. you shouldn't be in a neighborhood, IMO.
I couldn't disagree more. To me this project is like the UC city Center City expansion equivalent for the riverwards. Expecting everyone to commute into Center City only will overwhelm infrastructure, while this allows some Fishtowners a close commute or a "reverse commute" from Center City to Fishtown. Having large employers in the riverwards between this project and the proposed office tower in No Libs allows further neighborhoods like Harrowgate and Kensington to become more attractive. If all large office space is exclusive to CC, eventually commute distance specifically to CC will greatly limit which neighborhoods can revitalize. Remember every neighborhood used to have large employers in them (is factories) once upon a time.

Bedroom communities are inherently more unstable than a live/work/play neighborhood because there are less bonds tying residents to the area.

Plus a business looking for a younger workforce plus cheap waterfront amenities might not attract the same kind of industry as high rise office space in CC

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Apr 20, 2021 at 8:21 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
I couldn't disagree more. To me this project is like the UC city Center City expansion equivalent for the riverwards. Expecting everyone to commute into Center City only will overwhelm infrastructure, while this allows some Fishtowners a close commute or a "reverse commute" from Center City to Fishtown. Having large employers in the riverwards between this project and the proposed office tower in No Libs allows further neighborhoods like Harrowgate and Kensington to become more attractive. If all large office space is exclusive to CC, eventually commute distance specifically to CC will greatly limit which neighborhoods can revitalize. Remember every neighborhood used to have large employers in them (is factories) once upon a time.

Bedroom communities are inherently more unstable than a live/work/play neighborhood because there are less bonds tying residents to the area.

Plus a business looking for a younger workforce plus cheap waterfront amenities might not attract the same kind of industry as high rise office space in CC
Exactly. A neighborhood can't have a vital commercial strip if there aren't varied users at varied times. Not every neighborhood needs an office district per se but every neighborhood needs employers of some sort who pull people in when residents are leaving (to work for the day).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:07 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I agree with this. It just seems like a city in general should be more distributed and not so centralized. This would allow more people to live/work and play all in one area, as well as spread transit destinations out a little more. Philadelphia is pretty well setup to accomplish something like this with its current transit system. It's easy to at least envision some working nodes in other areas of the city. A Delaware waterfront with access to the El and light rail would be a great opportunity for this. North Philadelphia station is another huge opportunity with Regional Rail/Amtrak and BSL access.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:52 PM
Midrise

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Exactly. A neighborhood can't have a vital commercial strip if there aren't varied users at varied times. Not every neighborhood needs an office district per se but every neighborhood needs employers of some sort who pull people in when residents are leaving (to work for the day).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Yeah, I agree with this. It just seems like a city in general should be more distributed and not so centralized. This would allow more people to live/work and play all in one area, as well as spread transit destinations out a little more. Philadelphia is pretty well setup to accomplish something like this with its current transit system. It's easy to at least envision some working nodes in other areas of the city. A Delaware waterfront with access to the El and light rail would be a great opportunity for this. North Philadelphia station is another huge opportunity with Regional Rail/Amtrak and BSL access.
These last few comments call to mind one of my favorite passages from Jane Jacobs' "The Death & Life of Great American Cities."
Excerpt:
Rittenhouse Square, the success, possesses a diverse rim and diverse neighborhood hinterland. Immediately on its edges it has in sequence, as this is written, an art club with restaurant and galleries, a music school, an Army office building, an apartment house, a club, an old apothecary shop, a Navy office building which used to be a hotel, apartments, a church, a parochial school, apartments, a public-library branch, apartments, a vacant site where town houses have been torn down for prospective apartments, a cultural society, apartments, a vacant site where a town house is planned, another town house, apartments. Immediately beyond the rim, in the streets leading off at right angles and in the next streets parallel to the park sides, is an abundance of shops and services of all sorts with old houses or newer apartments above, mingled with a variety of offices.

Does anything about this physical arrangement of the neighborhood affect the park physically? Yes. This mixture of uses of buildings directly produces for the park a mixture of users who enter and leave the park at different times. They use the park at different times from one another because their daily schedules differ. The park thus possesses an intricate sequence of uses and users.

Joseph Guess, a Philadelphia newspaperman who lives at Rittenhouse Square and has amused himself by watching its ballet, says it has this sequence: "First, a few early-bird walkers who live beside the park take brisk strolls. They are shortly joined, and followed, by residents who cross the park on their way to work out of the district. Next come people from outside the district, crossing the park on their way to work within the neighborhood. Soon after these people have left the square the er- rand-goers start to come through, many of them lingering, and in mid-morning mothers and small children come in, along with an increasing number of shoppers. Before noon the mothers and children leave, but the square's population continues to grow because of employees on their lunch hour and also because of people coming from elsewhere to lunch at the art club and the other restaurants around. In the afternoon mothers and children turn up again, the shoppers and errand-goers linger longer, and school children eventually add themselves in. In the later after- noon the mothers have left but the homeward-bound workers come through—first those leaving the neighborhood, and then those returning to it. Some of these linger. From then on into the evening the square gets many young people on dates, some who are dining out nearby, some who live nearby, some who seem to come just because of the nice combination of liveliness and leisure. All through the day, there is a sprinkling of old peo- ple with time on their hands, some people who are indigent, and various unidentified idlers."

In short, Rittenhouse Square is busy fairly continuously for the same basic reasons that a lively sidewalk is used continuously: because of functional physical diversity among adjacent uses, and hence diversity among users and their schedules.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:32 AM
Creative Ambitions

I love the way they used this Alley for seating around 23&Market

Picture by Me.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:43 AM

I noticed that when I’d run from UCross into Center City. Always wanted to eat there.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

Picture by Me.
^That's the Fitler Club.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

Picture by Me.
I don't know if this is something that was done pre-pandemic or as a result of it, but I like it either way.

The number of outdoor drinking/dining areas here in Pittsburgh (and in the very limited number of other northern cities I've been to in the past year) has dramatically increased. By necessity obviously, but I'm hoping that it's a trend that becomes permanent around here. This has shown us that people like to be outside... and will gladly eat and drink in the cold, provided that the facilities exist.

Philly has long had a pretty vibrant sidewalk cafe/bar scene in center city and immediate surroundings, and I've always liked that outside vibe on the streets during summer evenings. Pittsburgh has never really had that, at least not to the same extent simply given the lack of residential/commercial neighborhoods immediately adjacent to downtown. But I've noticed that some sidewalk scenes here are significantly more lively now than they have ever been. I guess something good to come out of the pandemic.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:06 PM

Are they shutting down streets in Pittsburgh? Kind of curious what other cities are doing in this respect. Definitely more outdoor spaces in Philly during the pandemic, though we did always have a lot of sidewalk seating. They've been taking some parking in the street to build outdoor seating (which is covered, so outdoor-indoor?). I was hoping they'd shut down more streets/more often though than they did, but I guess some is better than none. I wish they'd shut down some stretches permanently, event if it's just permanent hours (like closed during dinner time for parts of 13th and 18th, parts of old city). The Italian Market would be even better if part of 9th was closed, at least during the day.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:31 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Are they shutting down streets in Pittsburgh? Kind of curious what other cities are doing in this respect. Definitely more outdoor spaces in Philly during the pandemic, though we did always have a lot of sidewalk seating. They've been taking some parking in the street to build outdoor seating (which is covered, so outdoor-indoor?). I was hoping they'd shut down more streets/more often though than they did, but I guess some is better than none. I wish they'd shut down some stretches permanently, event if it's just permanent hours (like closed during dinner time for parts of 13th and 18th, parts of old city). The Italian Market would be even better if part of 9th was closed, at least during the day.
Harrisburg is doing something cool again this year and shutting down parts of DT on Saturday evenings for outdoor dining:

The following streets will be closed starting at 3:30 p.m.:

North Second Street, from Market to Pine Street
State Street, from Church Street to North Second Street – westbound
North Street, from Susquehanna Street to Third Street
Conoy Street in Shipoke

https://www.pennlive.com/food/2021/0...outputType=amp

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:59 PM

CDR Submissions for May are up!

No new highrises, but CDR submission for the Durst proposal at 300 N. Delaware is up. New proposal for 1201 Vine - downsized to 8 floors from the previous proposal which was either 12 or 15 floors, but I'll take it. Great looking project and HUGE for the area!

Link to submissions:
https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...blic-meetings/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
CDR Submissions for May are up!

No new highrises, but CDR submission for the Durst proposal at 300 N. Delaware is up. New proposal for 1201 Vine - downsized to 8 floors from the previous proposal which was either 12 or 15 floors, but I'll take it. Great looking project and HUGE for the area!

Link to submissions:
https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...blic-meetings/
Thanks for posting the link. Always having trouble finding it. Everything looks fine except for that Penn parking garage. yeesh. Couldn't they have at least added more medical space or housing above.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Harrisburg is doing something cool again this year and shutting down parts of DT on Saturday evenings for outdoor dining:

The following streets will be closed starting at 3:30 p.m.:

North Second Street, from Market to Pine Street
State Street, from Church Street to North Second Street – westbound
North Street, from Susquehanna Street to Third Street
Conoy Street in Shipoke

https://www.pennlive.com/food/2021/0...outputType=amp
Nice, that 2nd street stretch is pretty far.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:24 PM

Hey. Does anyone know when mod is going to update the under construction building or proposed/approved

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:17 PM

Dechert signs short-term lease renewal at Cira Centre, reduces space by more than half

Article behind paywall - who can read it? I'm less concerned with the reduction of space, and more interested in the short-term lease renewal. Does this mean an eventual move to 3001 JFK for Dechert?

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ra-centre.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 4:32 PM

Insomnia launches East Passyunk 'CookieLab,' plans new Philadelphia HQ amid continued expansion

Article behind paywall, and this may not be major, but glad a Philly grown company is staying committed to the city. Article link below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=8#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:46 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Very nice job, TK!

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 11:56 AM

I thought this was a cool sight, looking up at the Drake with all the windows open.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 3:58 AM

From midatlantic_transitwatch on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COlzP_rH...d=6sad61y0xdcd

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations