HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:01 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
One might be a hot tub, especially the round one on the podium, but it does look like there's some other water feature or something on that level in addition to the two pools on the setbacks. This thing does look like it's using its spaces wisely. There's little point in being particular about using our land in the most efficient ways if buildings leave rooftops blank. I'm glad to see them getting smart with their exterior spaces. One of the major cons for me for urban living is the inability to have an outdoor space without having to visit a park. Plus, those green roofs have a cooling effect on the environment.
I like the cooling effect. When I lived in a high rise on the east coast of China, I also preferred one side of my apartment to another. The east side had a view of a massive rooftop park above a mall. The west side had concrete rooftops with solar water heaters, laundry, and random junk stored, among other things. You can imagine which view I preferred looking across and down.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 8:16 PM
Everywhere all at once

I don't know about the rest of you, but I just keep thinking about the fact that this is lined up right behind both the post office site north of Republic Square, and the former courthouse site just south of it....and to me, this was the most surprising site of the three to yield a large proposal.

Just picture three massive towers in a row north-south from 7th to 3rd on Guadalupe, the image gives me some chills gurl

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:05 AM

core samples are being drilled!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
If this photo is representative of the Calgary area, downtown, the suburbs and the country are all located in a very short distance from each other. No wonder Canadian cities punch way above their weight in terms of downtown development when compared to American cities of a similar size. I wonder if it's zoning or the fact that Canadians like to huddle together due to the cold weather? Australian cities seem to develop in a similar way to Canadian cities though, so that kills the cold weather theory.

I've been meaning to respond to this, but have been busy lately. I'm fairly certain this photo is taken from Nose Hill Park,

https://goo.gl/maps/LdvE6wWgtoJ2

which is a large prairie preserve surrounded by suburban sprawl, so it looks like the 'country' is closer in than it is. That being said, Canadian cities are, on average, about twice as dense as comparable sized American cities.

Take Calgary for example. At a little over 1.2 million, it is somewhat similar in size to Austin. I say 'somewhat' not only because it is roughly 20% larger, but also because its CMA population is only 1.4 million, compared to Austin's MSA of over 2 million.

Calgary's urban area is less than 20% smaller than Austin's at 226 square miles, but with the additional population, the urban density is 5,500 / square mile compared to Austin's at 3,500. Calgary is probably on of Canada's least 'urban' cities, and feels much more 'American' than most.

The reason for the differences between Canadian and American cities is not just zoning, but urban planning practice in general. Planning is more 'centralized' in Canada with greater powers at both the Federal and Provincial levels. Canadian culture respects planning and environmental protection as much, or more so, than individual property rights. In addition, (or as a result), Canadian governments invest more in transit, and Canadians use transit much more so than Americans. There is also no Interstate Highway program or residential mortgage deduction, both of which have been blamed for sprawl in the US.

But overall, I think the greatest difference is that Canadian cities actively try to manage growth through best practice planning principles. In Texas, cities can only manage growth within city limits, and even then the legislature is constantly trying to take away planning powers. Land owners in Texas outside of city limits have almost no development restrictions, which results in low density, discontinuous sprawl for miles surrounding cities. And because Texas has a lot of large cities in relatively close proximity to one another, and high growth rates, the sprawl is quickly merging into one undifferentiated megalopolis, particularly along the interstates.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:00 PM

360° model

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:02 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanatx View Post
I love this! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanatx View Post
Nice! Here's a still from it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6Kq1qD4i7/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 9:40 PM

The little carve-out for the historical house on that lot is pretty hilarious. Also: Gensler is killing it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 10:37 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Very cool! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 10:49 PM
Austinite

Thanks for the video! That is a monster. The tower portion definitely has a larger footprint than the Austonian and Independent...even the upper residential levels. It will absolutely dominate the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 12:28 AM

I like this building on so many levels with one reservation, the east facing side, the important side since it will be seen by the masses on I35. I think its the least attractive. But the upside like mopacs said, this thing is a monster. I think I can safely say, the signature tower I've been waiting for. Still hoping for mid 70s floor count, but at 873 feet...close enough. A companion or 2 similar in size will complete Austin's skyline for me. For anyone here too young to remember the restraints
put on the developers during the 80s building boom, I don't think you will ever appreciate how inconceivable something like this was not that long ago.
I'm curious what they are going to call this, '(something)' followed by Tower.

Last edited by the Genral; Aug 18, 2017 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 1:20 PM

Thanks for posting a link to the video, this things is indeed going to be a haus! No only if we could convince them to put a crown and spire on it...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:57 PM

Wouldn't this be the highest residence in a tower in the US outside of NYC and Chicago?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 12:52 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Wouldn't this be the highest residence in a tower in the US outside of NYC and Chicago?
You referring to the 63 story version or the potential mid 70 range version?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
You referring to the 63 story version or the potential mid 70 range version?
Mostly at 873 feet, not including floor count so much. If the Independent will be the tallest all residential w.o.t.m., then perhaps a residence at 870 + feet might have some sort of designation.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 11:55 AM

Core samples
August 9th and 10th:

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 8:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

The CVCs are really starting to make themselves visible. They're also forcing buildings to go taller as a result of less vertical air rights space. When this and the other buildings under construction are completed, they'll really be noticeable... especially when viewed on Google Earth or aerial photography.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 10:45 PM

The S.A. Express-News had a decent article about this project since Lynd is based in San Antonio:

http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...photo-13858035

The article also has a street level rendering:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 1:34 AM

Looks like Lauderette is expanding.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 4:40 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The S.A. Express-News had a decent article about this project since Lynd is based in San Antonio:

http://www.expressnews.com/real-esta...photo-13858035

The article also has a street level rendering:

Too bad the article is behind a paywall. It's very clearly obvious that some San Antonians are pretty jealous. Pitty...I'm very excited to see this building rise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin