HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:16 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I was comparing the lot size with that of the Westin and ZaZa. Westin is 20 floors and 366 rooms, but it takes up half of that block south of the Alley so much larger than Congress @ 7th. Hotel Zaza is 24 to 26 floors 160 hotel rooms and 215 apartment's. Added together that 375 rooms. I'm guessing that the lot where Zaza will go up is smaller than Westin's but still larger than Congress @ 7th.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's between 30 to 40 floors and end up taller than the One American Center. That's just my assumption.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:19 AM
Everywhere all at once

Speaking of ZaZa, when is that one supposed to break ground? I can't remember if it was mentioned here but I'm eager for it to begin because it's always been one of my favorite projects (at least of the ones not yet with shovels in the ground). Thanks

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Speaking of ZaZa, when is that one supposed to break ground? I can't remember if it was mentioned here but I'm eager for it to begin because it's always been one of my favorite projects (at least of the ones not yet with shovels in the ground). Thanks
Second this.... What was the target date for ground breaking? Any insider info?!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 1:33 AM
Old West Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogc View Post
How high have buildings on in other cities with similar lot sizes?
Here's how tall and skinny buildings can be: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/future-i...163959219.html

Nearly anything is possible. But imagine how much the building in this video must sway in heavy winds. Wow.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 6:10 PM

The W Time Square is a tall and skinny hotel with a small footprint. It's 53 stories 583' and has 552 rooms. I'm thinking 450' for this hotel on Congress.

http://www.emporis.com/building/wtim...orkcity-ny-usa

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:50 PM

I just sent Hotel ZaZa an email if they have a specific date for groundbreaking. I should hear something back very soon.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 11:12 PM

Phase 2 of Lakeshore project breaks ground

Quote:
Phase II of the Lakeshore Apartments on South Lakeshore BLVD in Austin, Texas began this month. When complete this BIG RED DOG ENGINEERING project will have a great view of downtown and be a short walk away from the trails including the new boardwalk!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/BIG-R...34467859927146

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 1:31 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Relevant discussion for the new central library:

https://medium.com/the-magazine/11776eba0257

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 8:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's amazing how that whole area is transforming. Back in the day, I used to hang out with friends I was in High School with that lived in apartment complexes that no longer exist. Entire blocks have been cleared. I wish I had some pictures of the area from them to see the comparison.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's amazing how that whole area is transforming. Back in the day, I used to hang out with friends I was in High School with that lived in apartment complexes that no longer exist. Entire blocks have been cleared. I wish I had some pictures of the area from them to see the comparison.
Remember..."These are the Good Old Days" too. Carly Simon sang it in 1971 in her song "Anticipation". With the projected growth here in Austin, 10 years from now will we might remember the good old days back in 2014! Austin was a very different city just 10 years ago. Just downtown the number of buildings built is mind numbing.

These Are The Good Old Days

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:55 AM

Massachusetts health care company to bring 607 jobs, $13M investment to Austin

Quote:
By Robert Grattan
Jan. 15. 2014

Athenahealth Inc. (Nasdaq: ATHN) has plans to bring 607 jobs and a multimillion dollar investment to Austin's downtown Seaholm power plant redevelopment.

The city of Austin and Gov. Rick Perry's office announced the health care technology company's plans for a research and development center Wednesday night.

In exchange for the investment, the city of Austin has offered an incentives package including a $679,500 performance-based grant. The state's Texas Enterprise Fund has offered the company a $5 million incentives grant for the expansion.

The proposal is estimated to bring a net fiscal benefit to the city of $1.67 million, according to a statement. The city said Athenahealth — based in Watertown, Mass. — will invest at least $7.75 million while the governor's office has announced the company plans to invest $13 million. More details are expected to be revealed when the city releases its related documents.
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...-600-jobs.html

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 5:44 AM

That sounds kinda iffy considering that the Seaholm district was supposedly going to attract a "bohemian" crowd. I don't see how a company like this is going to do that... especially when you got Mr. Rick Perry involved.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:15 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
... The Governor's office is always involved when the Texas Enterprise Fund involved for tax incentives. It's a state bureaucracy... it has nothing to do specifically with Perry himself. He's just involved because the Governor has to be in his executive role...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2014, 2:09 PM
Old West Austin

I think you all might be interested in this four part series coming up soon on PBS.

SUPER SKYSCRAPERS -- Wednesdays, February 5-26, 2014, 10:00-11:00 p.m. ET -- As urban space shrinks, we build higher and faster than ever before, creating a new generation of skyscrapers. Super skyscrapers are pushing the limits of engineering, technology and design to become greener, stronger, smarter and more luxurious than their predecessors. This four-part series follows the creation of four extraordinary buildings, showcasing how they will revolutionize the way we live, work and protect ourselves from potential threats.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 7:48 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
It got me guessing, from the size of the footprint this building will have to go tall. If developers in New York can build tall buildings with a small foot print, so can Austin.
Easier done when a 57th street condo can net you 100 million dollar for a central park view :p

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 9:09 AM

Proposed redevelopment of The Backyard at Bee Cave includes $100M movie studio

Some Highlights :

Quote:

A $100 million movie studio on property once owned by Austin filmmaker Robert Rodriguez is one component of an ambitious development proposed for property along Bee Cave Parkway, including the once-popular Backyard outdoor concert venue.

Site plans for the project describe The Backyard being redeveloped to house six movie and television sound stages to be known as Supernature Studios, three office buildings, a hotel with up to 150 rooms, a 6,000-capacity amphitheater, another 2,000-capacity amphitheater, restaurants, retail, parking garages and a trail system.

The Terrace property is planned to hold four sound stages with offices, two separate office buildings, three residential condominium buildings with parking, three parking garages, and assorted restaurants and retail.

Supernature’s website claims it will “comprise the largest and most technologically advanced center of its kind outside of Los Angeles.” The site promises 575,000 square feet of Class A office space and 95,000 square feet of film and television production space.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post

Some Highlights :
Speaking of studios, whatever happened to that proposed movie studio that was to be built by the 130 tollway?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 11:51 PM

X-posted from the Austin sub-forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Here's a short video from the Statesman of a press tour of the J.W. Marriott: http://bcove.me/4pi05wwq
Also, this post is very exciting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
it looks like there's activity at the old Austin Energy building, finally.

Last edited by Syndic; Jan 28, 2014 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 12:04 AM

X-posting from the Austin sub-forum, an updated (?) rendering of Block 1 of Green Water:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I found this just now via Google image search... http://www.bdcnetwork.com/9-mega-red...rban-landscape

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 1:24 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Definitely a great improvement on the design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations