HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 2:01 PM
James

Holy crap. This looks amazing. Walkable sustainable. I knew they wanted to keep it that way but I'm SO glad they followed through with it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 1:54 AM

Castoville is taking steps to preserve it's identity and somewhat fend off the sprawl coming their way:

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sa-inc/...EbhXEH0pHeej3k

"CASTROVILLE — As they eye the sprawl rippling toward their small city west of San Antonio, a group of residents are joining forces to preserve Castroville’s small-town flavor and revitalize its historic downtown.

More than 30 families have invested in the Castroville Downtown Redevelopment Fund, a vehicle that will acquire and redevelop as many as a dozen buildings with the money raised so far.

“There are a lot of ways that you can renovate a district or a historic building,” said managing partner Joshua Kempf, an eighth-generation Castroville resident. “We think that folks who care deeply about the future of the town are going to do that better than someone who’s just here to do an economic transaction with no real interest in the heritage.”

He declined to say how much had been raised but confirmed it is “well into the seven figures.”

The fund has purchased three buildings, two of which are vacant. It is under contract to buy a fourth."

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 3:06 PM

I think their downtown will be safe if they can some how loop HWY 90 around the city so not every single car passing by has to go through town. I'm sure land all around is owned but some new route for 90 would help greatly.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 4:06 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Construction at Port San Antonio's innovation center at General Hudnell Drive and 36th Street is picking up steam.

In late July, Sundt Construction Inc. added the final beam to the frame for the 127,000-square-foot building. The $60 million project is slated to be completed by the spring of 2022.

As previously reported, the funding for the building came from a commercial loan, which the Port plans to repay with revenue generated by the facility, including from entertainment events, conferences and industry partnerships.

Profit from the innovation center will support technology-focused professional development programs at all levels. Such programs will be determined through the Kelly Heritage Foundation, one of two operating managers of the facility.

The innovation center will feature a 3,000-person multipurpose arena on the building's southeast side, which is 500 more than the Port's previous seating capacity.

It will also be the new home of the San Antonio Museum of Science and Technology, known as SAMSAT, which will feature integrated classrooms and meeting spaces, a research and development lab, a 24-hour electronic gaming area and a full-scale food hall, including catering support for the various events hosted at the center.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2021, 4:07 PM

Last edited by jkill34; Oct 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Hundreds more apartments have broken ground on the site of the former Tobin Estate northeast of Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills.

Dallas-based Rosewood Property Co., a subsidiary of the Rosewood Corp., began construction Dec. 20 on the next phase of The Tobin Estate Apartments at 3310 Oakwell Court. That will include 311 residences including seven townhomes, following the first 286 apartments completed at the start of 2021....

Rosewood is also preparing a third phase, a four-story building with about 355 units....

New to the project will be seven three-bedroom, three-story townhomes, expected to cost more than $4,000 per month.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...partments.html

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:50 PM

Endless construction, rooftops, new arrivals: The far West Side is booming
Welcome to San Antonio’s new suburban dreamscape

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...h-16628568.php

The metastasizing subdivisions, many of which tout their gated security, have rustic names by which developers evoke the rugged cactus-and-cedar terrain they bulldozed to create them -- Kallison Ranch, Stillwater Ranch, Redbird Ranch, Wind Gate Ranch, Riverstone, Cobblestone, Stoney Creek and various “Preserves.”

This suburban world by now is as familiar to most Texans as Friday night football. Convenient chain pharmacy or fast food locations pop up where tin-roofed sheds once stood amid golden-cheeked warbler habitat. A year or two later come two-story elementary schools and three-story high schools, catalyzing the traffic.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 3:18 PM

San Antonio company to develop single-family rental community near Gruene historic district

https://www.expressnews.com/sa-inc/a...s-16984158.php

Embrey plans to build a single-family rental community near the Gruene historic district as the San Antonio-based company jumps into a booming sector of the housing market.

The project on 22 acres at FM 306 and Common Street will include 126 duplex-style homes with 252 units.

Homes will have granite countertops, stainless steel kitchen appliances, washers and dryers, private driveways, fenced yards and attached garages with electric vehicle charging outlets. Some include built-in desks and walk-in showers.

Amenities for the community, dubbed Collection at Gruene, will include a clubhouse with a media room, fitness center with an outdoor lawn, pool, dog park and grilling, fireplace and dining areas. It’s unclear what rents are expected to be.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 4:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
San Antonio company to develop single-family rental community near Gruene historic district

https://www.expressnews.com/sa-inc/a...s-16984158.php

Embrey plans to build a single-family rental community near the Gruene historic district as the San Antonio-based company jumps into a booming sector of the housing market.

The project on 22 acres at FM 306 and Common Street will include 126 duplex-style homes with 252 units.

Homes will have granite countertops, stainless steel kitchen appliances, washers and dryers, private driveways, fenced yards and attached garages with electric vehicle charging outlets. Some include built-in desks and walk-in showers.

Amenities for the community, dubbed Collection at Gruene, will include a clubhouse with a media room, fitness center with an outdoor lawn, pool, dog park and grilling, fireplace and dining areas. It’s unclear what rents are expected to be.
I remember when Gruene was Gruene Hall, The Gristmill restaurant and a couple antique shops. Now it's almost like the Galleria.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 1:06 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I remember when Gruene was Gruene Hall, The Gristmill restaurant and a couple antique shops. Now it's almost like the Galleria.
Ditto that. I was there last week for the first time in years for a show and found the amount of people there almost comical. Oh well, it was always a little silly I guess.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:35 PM

In agreement,

Two Dittos here. Yes, it does not amount to much out there in Gruene, but the place must the best New Braunfels has ?
The same with Floore Country Store in Helotes. Yes, sure, the country singer- songwriter Wille Nelson used to play there before he rose to fame. One cannot detract from this. Willie is really creative, an American icon, and I do have much of his music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Ditto that. I was there last week for the first time in years for a show and found the amount of people there almost comical. Oh well, it was always a little silly I guess.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward looking View Post
Two Dittos here. Yes, it does not amount to much out there in Gruene, but the place must the best New Braunfels has ?
The same with Floore Country Store in Helotes. Yes, sure, the country singer- songwriter Wille Nelson used to play there before he rose to fame. One cannot detract from this. Willie is really creative, an American icon, and I do have much of his music.
NB has a ton more to do than Gruene.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward looking View Post
Sheesh, while I find most of your comments replete with faux elitism, this is by far the worst.

Gruene Hall has some mighty fine dates lined up:

https://gruenehall.com/calendar/

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 3:40 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Sheesh, while I find most of your comments replete with faux elitism, this is by far the worst.

"Replete with faux elitism." Nice irony.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 2:03 PM

My Mistake,

Gruene Hall reminds me of the Filmore East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 2:09 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I really like how 7600 BROADWAY came out. Adds so much to this segment of the corridor.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 1:42 PM

Absolutely true,

I love the look, it is such a beautifully designed building .

Old Posted Apr 17, 2022, 11:45 AM

Construction underway for massive New Braunfels development

Situated just outside of New Braunfels, the 6,000-residential unit project will likely be completed in 2037.

https://www.expressnews.com/hill-cou...s-17083256.php

A nearly 2,000-acre construction project in Hill Country got underway Tuesday along a rural stretch of Interstate 35. Situated just outside of New Braunfels, the 6,000-residential unit project by SouthStar Communities will likely be completed in 2037.

Dubbed Mayfair, the massive community split by I-35 will include a mix of single-family homes, duplexes, townhouses and apartment complexes. Mayfair will also have 70 acres of commercial development, 120 acres of mixed-use space and over 300 acres of public parks.

The project is expected to also be home to two new elementary schools, one middle school and one high school.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 2:24 PM

‘Explosive growth’ between San Antonio and Austin entices company to build 3,173-acre community

https://www.expressnews.com/sa-inc/a...y-17144712.php

As land between Austin and San Antonio is filled with subdivisions, stores and warehouses, and populations of cities along the corridor surge, a Dallas company is seeking to capitalize on the boom.

RREAF Communities recently bought 3,173 undeveloped acres at Texas 130 and Texas 80 south of Lockhart and east of San Marcos.

It’s about 60 miles from downtown San Antonio and 50 miles from downtown Austin.

The company’s master plan includes from 4,000 to 6,000 single-family homes for purchase, 2,000 to 2,500 build-to-rent single-family homes and 2,500 to 3,000 apartments. It is seeking to work with home builders.

Retail, restaurants, hotels, offices, healthcare services, light industrial facilities and schools would also be part of the development. It also calls for hike-and-bike trails, outdoor pavilions, athletic fields and fitness centers.

“We feel like that area is experiencing explosive growth and has great access to both the San Antonio and Austin MSAs,” said Shannon Livingston, president of RREAF Communities.

Old Posted May 20, 2022, 3:41 PM

‘At a crossroads’: New Braunfels residents grapple with growth, rising housing costs

https://www.expressnews.com/sa-inc/a...g-17185035.php

When Ross Granzin moved to New Braunfels as a teenager in the mid-1980s, downtown was sleepy, fields of crops stretched for miles and Schlitterbahn waterpark had recently opened.

Now the fast-growing city is teeming with subdivisions, stores, bars and restaurants, including Granzin’s Naegelin’s Bakery, billed as the oldest bakery in Texas.

Granzin, 58, has expanded his storefront on South Seguin Avenue to serve the influx of tourists and residents arriving from other Texas cities and the East and West coasts.

“Downtown is booming,” he said. “We used to have a slow time at the bakery, but now we’re busy all year round. I don’t think it’ll stop.”

New Braunfels, known for its German heritage and bucolic Comal and Guadalupe rivers, is one of the fastest-growing cities in America.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio