HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 8:00 AM

A Rainy Thursday in Downtown Oakland: From Lakeshore Ave. to Harrison St.

This time around I decided to focus in on three of the more popular neighborhoods in Oakland - Lakeshore, Grand Lake & Adam's Point - and arguably three of the most beautiful. This is the Oakland that most who have visited are familiar with.

Lakeshore

Grand Lake

Adam's Point

Harrison St.

Thanks for viewing my thread. Any feedback is appreciated and will be returned.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; May 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 1:53 PM

Love me some bungalows!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 5:09 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Nice pictures of Seattl...oh wait!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 6:46 PM

No pedestrians. Does anybody WALK in Oakland? I suppose when they feel like walking they go to San Francisco, right?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 9:51 PM

Some of my favorite neighborhoods! But they are quiet during the day. I love all the angled shots showing off the slope. Nice work, thanks!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 12:42 AM

Love it! Thanks for the pictures.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 7:28 AM

There really is a lot to love about Oakland!!! If I were to boost single family homes, oakland would be on the top of my list for the west....

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 3:49 AM

@salaverryo: It was raining so I was one of the exceptions who didn't mind getting wet lol.

Thanks for all the great comments.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 4:58 PM

Handsome, Quirky, but not Oakland's most Beautiful

"This time around I decided to focus in on three of the more popular neighborhoods in Oakland - Lakeshore, Grand Lake & Adam's Point - and arguably three of the most beautiful. This is the Oakland that most who have visited are familiar with."

-Nineties Flava

Well, you know I'm a big fan of Oakland (and your photo threads, too). But I must respectfully disagree that Lakeshore, Grand Lake, and Adam's Point are "arguably" the most beautiful Oakland districts.

Indeed, here's my argument: Lakeshore, Grand Lake, and Adam's Point do not have any thing near the number of sculpted gardens, pristine lawns, English-style streets, and quaint mansions that grace Oakland's Crocker Highlands/Trestle Glen.

The three neighborhoods in question neither boast the heady mix of grand estates and impeccable, albeit smaller, homes that make west Montclair (Piedmont side) so patrician in feel, nor the mix of maga-size mansions and quirky, modernist woodsy retreats, ensconsed in the forested and vertiginous hills that define Oakland's upper/new Montclair as so undeniably bourgeois and yet so cool.

Upper Rockridge with its mix of mansions, post-fire architectural experiments, and sprawling grand old estates is truly impressive and beautiful, and relatively accessible;and lower Rockridge, perhaps too precious for us all (great restaurants, though), is nevertheless a picture post-card of quaint.

The highest points of Upper Oakmore, what with their hillside mansions and estates clinging to the precipices, set off by manicured gardens, against the backdrop of stunning views, present the very definition of beautiful neighborhood.

By contrast, Lakeshore and Grand Lake feature a quirky, sometimes unnerving riot, of gracious homes and occasional mansions, which sometimes pop up amidst gritty streets and long archipelegos of potentially beautiful but somewhat dowdy homes that await their deserved rejuvenation.

Adam's Point fares much better, in my view. It does boast a number of very impressive old mansions (kudos to your photographer's eye for catching a few of them), and stately apartment buildings.

But the imposition of second-tier modernist apartment buildings, circa late 1950s to early 1960s, breaks up Adam's Point undeniable grace. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Adam's Point; my wife and have stayed at the Bates House, a beautiful old Adam's Point mansion turned into a charming B & B. And perhaps Adam's Point's mix of beautiful old mansions, gracious early 20th century apartment buildings, and the garish, sheet-rock palaces-cum mid-century apartment complexes provides fertile ground for a bohemian take-over (it seems that is where the neighborhood is going). More power to a multi-hued, multi-cultural invasion of artists and other members of the boho brigade's settling in Adams Point. Such a quirky neighborhood could counter-balance Rockridge and Montclair's sometimes overstated preciousness

Still, even though they are a bit exclusivist , Crocker Highlands, Montclair, Panoramic Hill, lower/upper Rockridge (Claremont Pines) are nonetheless true contenders for the title of Oakland's most beautiful neighborhoods. I would also give mention to Haddon Hill, a gorgeous pocket neighborhood, and parts of Chabot Park, Sequoyah Highlands (modernism done right!). The high suburban chic of wealthy Ridgemont probably should get its shot at the title, but the neighborhood seems a bit too nouveau riche for my taste (although it is impressive, and very diverse racially, if uniformly affluent, of course).

Anyway, that's my riff. Love the thread, though, and I must say I hope you keep posting these post-cards from the big O: brilliant stuff!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:53 AM

^True. I didn't mean they were THE 3 most beautiful neighborhoods though, I just meant they were 3 of the most beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:33 PM

Thumbs up

"True. I didn't mean they were THE 3 most beautiful neighborhoods though, I just meant they were 3 of the most beautiful."

From one unabashed Oaktown admirer to a loyal Oaktown citizen: t'is all qwell .

My family and I live in Harlem, Manhattan, another place outsiders imagine as some kind of ghetto, when in fact Harlem has some incredibly wealthy and beautiful sections, sophisticated cultural offerings,as well some rougher, down-at-the-heels blocks. But so does the rest of New York.

I think your photo threads have proved a revelation for many viewers, in that they reveal not just the grittiest and battle-scared sections of Oakland, but also the sprawling neighborhoods of mansions, pricey woodsy retreats, quaint gentrified blocks, and the high suburban chic of newer affluent hillside redoubts, all in Oakland, all of Oakland, and all about Oakland.

Please keep up the great work. I'm really looking forward to your take on the affluent southern Oakland hills, such as Sequoyah Highlands (Donna Road, Sequoyah Road, McGuin, etc.), Chabot Parklands (Ettrick, Elvessa,Commonwealth, etc.), and Skyline Estates (Balmoral Drive, Tartan Way, Blythen), and perhaps more of upper/new Montclair (Mendoza, Mazuela Drive, Swainland, Fairlane, etc.).

But whatever neighborhoods you choose, please keep posting to the threads. You're doing great work, and every single picture, for better or worse, tells a story that no thousand words can convey.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 8:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^ I second that! Love your tours. The comprehensive coverage is truly impressive. Hopefully, people who only know Oakland through crime stats and stereotype will get a more accurate image of the city's incredible diversity (which obviously goes well beyond just the variety of people's racial background).

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos