HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 7:36 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Another article on twinning Highway 3 in southern Alberta.
Still hoping a contractor will be selected in the fall of 2022 for the Taber to Burdett section.

http://https://www.producer.com/news/pressure-continues-to-twin-major-southern-alberta-highway/

Interesting that the long-term vision is to see Highway 3 fully twinned all the way to Hope BC. Saying it would provide valuable redundancy given the events of last year in BC (i.e. washed-out highways).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 7:43 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Here is the Provincial study for two of the Alberta sections of Highway 3:

http://https://www.alberta.ca/highway-3-functional-planning-studies.aspx

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 7:50 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 8:32 AM

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 6:48 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 7:42 PM

In Hinton This past week. Talking with a couple of Locals after some fun in the snow and sun we were discussing the new Bypass. I mentioned it will probably never happen. They indicated it was very much on most radars. The right of way is already planned out. And there could be an announcement by the next election.

What didn't get mentioned was a by pass around Edson.

I am still skeptical by they sounded very confident.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 9:16 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That’s interesting.
Meanwhile, Crowsnest Highway may actually see lots of action.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:20 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That’s interesting.
Meanwhile, Crowsnest Highway may actually see lots of action.
Crowsnest is pretty good as it is IMO. Money can better be spent elsewhere in the province. I'd prefer to see a 3rd lane added to the TCH between Calgary and Canmore or QE2 between Crossfield and Olds.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Crowsnest is pretty good as it is IMO. Money can better be spent elsewhere in the province. I'd prefer to see a 3rd lane added to the TCH between Calgary and Canmore or QE2 between Crossfield and Olds.
Between Crossfiled and Leduc. 3rd lane from Edmonton to Spruce grove at a minimum. and twin 16 west from Highway 40 to the Park gates.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 11:03 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Between Crossfiled and Leduc. 3rd lane from Edmonton to Spruce grove at a minimum. and twin 16 west from Highway 40 to the Park gates.
Isn't that pretty much the remainder of QE2 that doesn't have three lanes?

I was trying to see what could be done for less money/bang for your buck in increments as funding allows. Much rather see them do it in portions as opposed to waiting for the funding for the entire project. There are some not insignificant bridges and interchanges that need widening in order to have three thru lanes the entire way.

Three lanes would be unnecessary of there weren't so many left lane strugglers on the roads. Lane discipline seems optional in Alberta.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 9:31 PM
Change is good

fund it in portions then.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Isn't that pretty much the remainder of QE2 that doesn't have three lanes?

I was trying to see what could be done for less money/bang for your buck in increments as funding allows. Much rather see them do it in portions as opposed to waiting for the funding for the entire project. There are some not insignificant bridges and interchanges that need widening in order to have three thru lanes the entire way.

Three lanes would be unnecessary of there weren't so many left lane strugglers on the roads. Lane discipline seems optional in Alberta.
There are updates going on. It appears that some planning ahead is happening. I saw some work on bridge renewal that seems to have added width on some brides. The update in Lacombe being one. Also a number of years back there was some bridge work at some water crossings that saw the bridge expanded to 3 lanes each way.

Lane discipline is also lacking. and if the province painted the lane right people would actually use the right lane from Crossfield to Airdie. Used it twice last week. I was the only one using it. All the rest were to the left.

That said, if you leave at the right time the traffic is not that bad. Took me 4.5 hours to Lake Louse last week. didn't slow much at all. other that the Stoney trail TCH interchange area.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I'd like to see Hwy 16 twinned to Jasper, the terrain doesn't seem significantly worse than Hwy 1 through Banff National Park, especially east of Jasper. If BC doesn't have the appetite to twin/"4 lane" Hwy 16 (they have higher priorities), then there would be no point in expanding the highway west of Jasper. Of course that would be up to Parks Canada.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
I'd like to see Hwy 16 twinned to Jasper, the terrain doesn't seem significantly worse than Hwy 1 through Banff National Park, especially east of Jasper. If BC doesn't have the appetite to twin/"4 lane" Hwy 16 (they have higher priorities), then there would be no point in expanding the highway west of Jasper. Of course that would be up to Parks Canada.
Somewhere on this thread or another there was a discussion or posting about why the twinning JPN would be hard. The terrain may look less daunting but there are issues, I think with the river course.

But the twining to the Park gate can be done quickly. Just no want from the GoA.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 11:20 PM

I still remember seeing two semis coming at me around a blind corner on a two lane section through Jasper. I've never encountered a capacity issue like TC-1 but it's more of an issue of safety. More passing opportunities would be nice.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 10:44 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^ I knew that sounded familiar, from the previous page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Driving to BC in May, I had two semis side by side coming at me and maybe 4 or 5 other vehicles including another semi behind me, on a two lane portion through Jasper with a double solid yellow line. For a split second I was wonderring what I was looking at then another split second realized I had a nice wide shoulder to my right to escape on. No one was in danger at the moment, life didn't flash before my eyes, I didn't even panic for a second, but it could've been worse on other parts of the highway.

While the traffic volume often doesn't justify twinning 16 to BC, and BC has zero intent to twin Hwy 5 and 16 before they finish Hwy 1 aka not before 2045, but it would be nice for safety's sake.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:49 PM

I saw a note that said Highway 60 from the Yellowhead to 16A is going to be twinned finally. No word on a rail overpass though.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:27 PM

^there will be

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:27 PM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:28 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia