HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Municipal policy around mixed-use and mixed-income would be helpful to manage that. I'm not counting on it to happen though. I'm not even expecting it to be done well for the City Housing redevelopments where there is more municipal control (like the one in Jamesville, and in the east end along Reid)

Seems, anecdotally at least, that people who get priced out end up moving to places like Brantford, or St. Catharines and Niagara Falls. Or staying local, there are neighbourhoods on the mountain that seem to be relatively more affordable.
I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting, but rather than creating more policies, what the government should do - at all levels - is determine which of its many existing residential policies, by-laws, zoning ordinances, etc., are making things worse for low and middle income earners. The good news is that they already know which ones are screwing its citizens. The bad news is they don't care because they benefit directly from them.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting, but rather than creating more policies, what the government should do - at all levels - is determine which of its many existing residential policies, by-laws, zoning ordinances, etc., are making things worse for low and middle income earners. The good news is that they already know which ones are screwing its citizens. The bad news is they don't care because they benefit directly from them.
Some people think no policy or less policy would always be better, but I don't agree. Some policies, like development charges are good and bad. Ultimately they can be used to essentially fine a development into submission when they become unreasonable, but otherwise those costs should be handled by property taxes.

I would love to see policies around limiting the uses of certain properties. Make Barton St, Cannon St, King, Main, James, Ottawa, Kenilworth and Parkdale all have requirements:

1) No surface level parking
2) 3 storey minimum
3) 5 storey as of right
4) 0.5 parking requirement
5) No development charges if under 10 storeys
6) Deferred property taxes for 5 years
7) Mandatory commercial on first floor
8) Current vacant, or surface lots are taxed based 35% estimated total lost property tax revenue at maximum as of right height to incentivize development
9) Allow for development but fine if something is not built, which is already done, but raise the fine

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 6:49 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Some people think no policy or less policy would always be better, but I don't agree. Some policies, like development charges are good and bad. Ultimately they can be used to essentially fine a development into submission when they become unreasonable, but otherwise those costs should be handled by property taxes.

I would love to see policies around limiting the uses of certain properties. Make Barton St, Cannon St, King, Main, James, Ottawa, Kenilworth and Parkdale all have requirements:

2) 3 storey minimum
3) 5 storey as of right
8) Current vacant, or surface lots are taxed based 35% estimated total lost property tax revenue at maximum as of right height to incentivize development
9) Allow for development but fine if something is not built, which is already done, but raise the fine
Sounds reasonable - I could get behind that

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:08 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

2) 3 storey minimum
3) 5 storey as of right
I would definitely support these requirements as well! Seems like good initiatives to spur development.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:00 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting, but rather than creating more policies, what the government should do - at all levels - is determine which of its many existing residential policies, by-laws, zoning ordinances, etc., are making things worse for low and middle income earners.
There may be limitations based on what's allowed in the Municipal Act or other provincial legislation, but in addition to many of the things suggested by TheRitsman (especially requirements for blending in commercial uses) I was thinking about ensuring that a percentage of units is "affordable", and mandating that there is a portion that are multi-bedroom units to make it easier for families to purchase or rent... or perhaps rather than impose rules, incentivize them by giving developers a break on charges or property taxes for providing such things.

I don't know if blanket policy would be the way to do it, or if it's best done using zoning, or establishing corridors along certain streets where the requirements would apply.

I agree with you though that there are existing policies and regulations that probably make things difficult for people with less financial means... that deserves a thorough review with an eye to making changes.

The market for development of multi-residential buildings in Hamilton is still at an emergent stage though, so making it too hard for developers isn't a good thing either. But I think there's a balance. The province could (and probably should) create a more level playing field as well by mandating some of these things for all municipalities.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2021, 2:46 AM

The east side of this building got new windows this week. I didn’t see if the Birch street side received any but the Gibson side looks very nice.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:49 PM

12/1/2021 by Joe, on Flickr

12/1/2021 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 7:47 AM
Hamilton Historian

Oh my god it looks SO MUCH BETTER with the new windows!

Also did they.. deliberately.. unevenly leave non-sodablasted black brick at the top..?

I mean I could see if it was an even band all around, but that's just weird..

EDIT: Nope, just checked, it's an original building feature, shame on the original builders lol..

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 3:59 PM

The uneven bricks along the roofline are the result of renovations by the Board of Education. The newer brick appears to match the 1965 gym addition in front.

Older photos show arches on the side facades and raised sections on the front roofline that were removed.

1957 photo from Toronto Telegram archives at York University:

Vintage Hamilton facebook photo:

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:27 AM
Hamilton Historian

Aw boo, I hate when they shear features off like that.. I guess back then since it was so dirty the brick they used appeared to match..

Glad the new render at least removes all the dark brick from the front and punches in some well needed windows.. even if it does make it look a bit like a strip mall..

Thanks for the pictures!

I remember walking through it when it was the open house and all the walls were exposed down to brick - you just get this feeling of vastness inside, and in some spots you could see through holes in the floorboards to the floor below.. that was kinda freaky..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 5:06 PM

What’s the feeling here? Is Stinson following through or is this busy work?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 5:16 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by palace1 View Post
The uneven bricks along the roofline are the result of renovations by the Board of Education. The newer brick appears to match the 1965 gym addition in front.
Seems like it was oddly executed though. Was it done because too much brick along the top was in bad shape so they had to replace several courses of it? So why not do the full 7 or 8 rows around the whole perimeter rather than 7-8 in one section, 3-4 along another, etc.? (e.g., was it lack of budget? expectation that more brick in the courses below would need to be replaced?)

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Dec 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:05 PM
Ham-burgher

Mention of this in a Spec story about Harry being taken to task by the securities commission.

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...legations.html

"Stinson announced plans for a 80-unit condo conversion of the former Gibson public school in 2013. Today, the building is being marketed as upscale loft rentals between $1,595 and $2,995 per month. A window installer placed a $478,000 lien on the property in February, but Stinson said in general work on the project is going well and tenants could start moving in later this year."

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 7:05 PM
Hammer'd

Referring to him as a "developer" at this point is a joke.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 9:15 PM
Ham-burgher

True!

Even calling him a "proposer" is dubious, though he's been prolific about it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 6:51 PM

I drove by on the weekend and saw Harry and a woman putting an additional sign on the front. I ended up walking by later and saw it was an open house sign, weekends 11 to 3.

I then heard him say at a Barton BIA meeting yesterday that he was hoping next year for them (I can't remember exactly what he said). Not sure if this new sign actually means anything.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 10:01 PM

I see Harry all the time walking around Stinson (believe he lives in the school/lofts still). Good luck to anyone who ever buys into his properties.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 11:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:48 AM
Great White Norf

Have you guys seen his shitshow in Buffalo? He purchased the Soviet looking Adam's Mark hotel that I believe was originally flagged as a Hilton in 1980 when it opened. It's a gargantuan almost 500 room hotel err was. Had a massive (suspicious) fire, owes tons of unpaid bills. Just a disaster.

From 2 months ago
Video Link

1 King West, Candy Factory lofts and Stinson school seem to be his only accomplishments in 25 years or whatever. And all of them seem to have issues or some controversy surrounding them.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Have you guys seen his shitshow in Buffalo? He purchased the Soviet looking Adam's Mark hotel that I believe was originally flagged as a Hilton in 1980 when it opened. It's a gargantuan almost 500 room hotel err was. Had a massive (suspicious) fire, owes tons of unpaid bills. Just a disaster.

From 2 months ago
Video Link

1 King West, Candy Factory lofts and Stinson school seem to be his only accomplishments in 25 years or whatever. And all of them seem to have issues or some controversy surrounding them.
Buddy seriously talked to the news himself... What a noob lol

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton