HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 12:56 AM
Proud Homer!

Below are a few contemporary-meets-traditional design sketches for the planned $80-million infill project planned by Washington University for the Delmar Loop area of St. Louis/University City. There are plans for student housing, retail etc.

These are not the final renderings.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 8:35 PM
Proud Homer!

Another vacant building restored in St. Louis.

The Metropolitan Artist Lofts opened on August 17th in an historic building in the Grand Center (Midtown) arts and entertainment district.

"The eight-story building combines the sophistication of the past with modern conveniences. Metropolitan houses 72 live/work spaces with finished walls, in-home washer and dryer and ceilings of 10.5 to 11 feet. One bedroom lofts lease for $654 / mo. and two bedroom lofts, for $802 / mo."

photo, Pasa47, flickr.com

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
Proud Homer!

This residential project along with the final new small office building are going up in a mixed-use development near Forest Park - The Highlands at Forest Park.
Check out The Highlands at Forest Park development and construction site here on Google Street View.

Cortona at Forest Park
1. 276-units
2. Cost: $25-million
3. Designed by Dallas-based Humphreys and Partners Architects
4. Near Forest Park, Washington University, Washington University Medical Center, I-64 and the Central West End.
5. 4-miles from downtown Clayton

As new medical and bio-research facilities are about to spring up, nearly 550 new market-rate apartment units are either under development or planned in about 2 square miles near the Washington University Medical Center. (Sources 1, 2)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 12:04 AM

so very much going on in stl. i have always loved so much of it. wonderful tour of what is going on. although i see much of the new buildings, i got a real wide on w/ the peabody opera house, the library, and so many of those beautiful marble, stone, and granite buildings. those are the real mc coys. i am afraid that most of those buildings are of the past. entabalature windows, stone and marble floor patterns---just beautiful. i see why "meet me in st. louis" was written and performed.

great universities, hospitals, churches, neighborhoods, avenues, and parkways. i am glad to know that it has every amenity, but size, that is found in nyc, by and large. again, enjoyed. kingchef

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 10:44 PM
Proud Homer!

At this time, local leaders are mum about the tenant and developer.

Warehouse project clears another hurdle

Posted: Monday, August 20, 2012 6:00 pm
By STEVE HORRELL

Gateway Commerce Center Enterprise Zone expanded by 737 acres

An announcement is likely soon on an agreement that would result in a 2.4 million square foot warehouse being built in Edwardsville, Madison County Board Chairman Alan Dunstan told members of the County Board.

“You’re looking at the largest warehouse in the United States being built out there,” Dunstan said Wednesday. “You’re looking at 500 construction jobs, 800 permanent jobs. This is a very, very big project. The only thing I’m not allowed to say at this time is the name of the person looking into it. But we have a very good chance that this is going to happen. I think we will know within two or three weeks – a month at the most.”

The project cleared another hurdle Wednesday when the County Board agreed to expand the Gateway Commerce Center Enterprise Zone by 737 acres.

The city of Edwardsville and the village of Pontoon Beach have already given their approval. News of the warehouse was first made public on Aug. 6 at the county’s Grants Committee meeting.

The enterprise zone, which includes parts of Edwardsville and Pontoon Beach and unincorporated Madison County, was created in the mid-1990s to attract industry to the area.

It has grown to include 20 buildings on more than 2,000 acres.

Source

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 12:52 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch City View Post
At this time, local leaders are mum about the tenant and developer.
hmmm... Amazon, perhaps?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 8:22 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
hmmm... Amazon, perhaps?
I don't know. St. Louis seems to be surrounded by new Amazon fulfillment centers, unless Amazon is planning to add a new one to its list of fulfillment centers.

But that's the first company that came to mind too, however, Amazon has fulfillment centers in Coffeyville, Kansas (just north of Tulsa, Oklahoma), just broke ground on a fulfillment center in Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville) in March and Amazon is nearing completion of a $150-million, 1-million square foot warehouse in Jeffersonville, Indiana (suburban Louisville). Louisville is only 4 hours from St. Louis on I-64. Nashville (Murfreesboro) is only 4.5 hours down I-64/I-24 and Tulsa is about 5 hours.

I could be wrong, but I can't see the tenant being Amazon considering two brand new centers are so close in proximity to St. Louis.

Maybe the prospective tenant is IKEA. 2.4-million square feet for a new warehouse is HUGE and this isn't dug out "underground" space we're talking about either.

Further, I can't find any evidence of IKEA opening its Joliet, Illinois warehouse as of yet, despite its commitment to Joliet in 2007.

Maybe IKEA will open a smaller warehouse in Joliet to serve its Chicagoland area stores, but open a huge 2.4-million Midwest Distribution Center in Gateway Commerce Center (Edwardsville), which has major interstate, rail, air and river port connections. Maybe an IKEA Midwest Distribution Center could be a feeder to Joliet unless they scrap Joliet altogether.

Unilever, Proctor and Gamble, Hershey, Dr. Pepper, Dial Corporation, Walgreens etc. all have facilities at Gateway Commerce Center.

Again, I am just speculating because I know nothing. But what other company would need that much space? Keep in mind that MSP, Cincy, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Chicago (two locations) and Detroit have IKEA's. Rumor has it that IKEA is planning a St. Louis location that is about 400,000 square feet. Plus, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Memphis, and Nashville are in pursuit of IKEA.

There is no central distribution warehouse for IKEA in the U.S. Check out the map of IKEA's distribution centers here. IKEA's distribution center in Maryland is 1.7-million square feet.

I don't know anything and could be proven wrong, but it is fun to speculate nonetheless, and getting such a facility would be a major coup for the St. Louis area.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 4:04 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

a distribution center in st louis metro would be roughly equidistant to dallas, detroit, and minneapolis and as you mentioned st louis is surrounded by cities seemingly wanting an ikea. not to mention that st louis is hours closer by truck over flat land to denver than the cal distribution center and is close to chicago and cincy. long shot of course, but i could see the desire to kill two/three birds with one stone by a massive st louis hub.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:51 PM
Proud Homer!

St. Louis is becoming easier for tourists and residents alike to navigate to their favorite attractions with the installation of more than 300 wayfinding signs and pedestrian kiosks that have been in the works since 2008. While installation started last year, new installs are on-going. (Source)

Plus, check out more details here.

Also, Forest Park is in line for new wayfinding signage as well. See the proposed designs and sketches for Forest Park wayfinding here and here.

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

flickr.com/pasa47

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
Proud Homer!

St. Louis' arts and entertainment district - in Midtown - keeps adding exciting and colorful signage.

The newly-renovated Metropolitan Artist Lofts recently added a new sign to its exterior.

BEFORE

AFTER

Photo, countondowntown.com via nextstl.com

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 3:39 AM
Proud Homer!

The St. Louis Art Museum's (SLAM) new, modern-yet-understated $165-million, 200,000 square foot East Wing addition isn't scheduled to open until mid-2013, but it looks very close to being finished in these photos. Designed by London-based architect, David Chipperfield, the size of the museum will almost double when the addition is completed. Bon Appétit has been selected to manage the museum's new cafe.

Frenchman Michel Desvigne, along with St. Louis-based HOK are the landscape architects for the project.

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Rear of building

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Source, VanishingSTL

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 4:00 AM
Paramoderator

That looks really great.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 4:05 AM

Gorgeous. This is Chipperfield's second art museum along the Mississippi!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 9:48 PM
Proud Homer!

Whole Foods Market planned for Central West End
St. Louis Business Journal
Date: Friday, October 12, 2012, 6:06am CDT - Last Modified: Friday, October 12, 2012, 6:37am CDT

A Whole Foods Market is slated to occupy the entire first floor of a planned $60 million, seven-story apartment building at 100 N. Euclid Ave.

CEO Bruce Mills of developer Mills Properties said the apartment complex, including the 30,000-square-foot grocery, will take 22 months to build. The developer is seeking $10 million in tax-increment financing for the project, with a hearing before the city's TIF Commission set for Oct. 30, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. Above the grocery, the project will have 176 market-rate apartments, including a dozen penthouses, and a 400-car garage.

The CWE location would be the third for Whole Foods in the St. Louis area. The two others are located in Brentwood and Town & Country.

Read More

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 7:26 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ so glad to hear this is finally moving forward. I'm a big fan of Straub's and I certainly hope this doesn't effect them too severely, but WF is a regional draw and will attract additional residents to the CWE. I think we're going to see a few vacant corners (I'm looking at you, Euclid and Lindell, and you too, Kingshighway and Lindell) filled with residential and/or more retail in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 3:38 AM

Love that the corner will be filled in! Not loving the huge clock tower. It looks like something you see at one of those New Urbanist outdoor malls popping up in the suburbs everywhere. Below that, it fits perfectly with the area. Get that Whole Foods in there and south of Lindell might become more popular than north of Lindell on Euclid. If it goes in, I think you might start seeing high rises being proposed west of Euclid. There's a staggering number of parking lots in the megablock that is Kingshighway-Lindell-Euclid-West Pine.

I remember reading about proposed zoning in that area with an unlimited height waiver for the part of that megablock more toward the park. This area could have a mini Central Park skyline in twenty years. We can dream can't we?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 9:14 PM
Proud Homer!

I believe that every little investment goes a long way to convey to visitors and residents that your city is alive and vibrant; plus, small investments can lead to big investments.

Below, an "ART" L.E.D. sign was installed recently in Grand Center - St. Louis' Arts and Entertainment District - located in Midtown St. Louis.

Read about it here. See the time laspe video below.

Grand Center has been stepping up its game lately with numerous projects - large and small - being completed, underway and planned.

Video Link

photo credit, pasa47, flickr.com

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 2:03 AM

Getting the Mills apartment project off the ground and Whole Foods coming to the CWE is going to be HUGE for the area. I too, could see a couple of the big corners supporting some pretty decent proposals in the very near future. This is THE prime location in the metro. Plus, Forest Park and downtown Clayton view on one side, Downtown skyline views on the other side. Makes selling the building much easier.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 7:36 AM
Everywhere all at once

Is that Art at Grand Center installation permanent? If so, new city icon much? I can just picture it on the cover of Frommer's St. Louis 2018

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 11:43 PM
Proud Homer!

The Cortona @ Forest Park is under construction.

From the website:

Sleek, Stylish Apartment Experience Coming 2014!
-Five-story, 278 Units
-1 & 2 Bedroom Residence
-1 Bedroom: 575 - 743 sf
-2 Bedroom: 978 - 1,299 sf
-Prime Location to Forest Park
-Gated Community

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations