HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post
I have word the Oriental Rug Cleaning Co. building was not part of the transaction, thus sparing it from demolition.

Here's the building.
You mean you read the Dallas Morning News article? ;-)

The developer's latest purchase on Ross includes everything but the historic Oriental Rug Cleaning Co. building at 3907 Ross.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 7:58 PM

$50M gift from Simmons family makes way for Dallas' new Trinity River park
Candace Carlisle
October 31, 2016

Quote:
Annette Simmons, in honor of her late husband Harold Simmons, announced Monday she has donated $50 million to The Trinity Trust and for the benefit of Dallas to build a new Trinity River park. This is the park's largest single gift of its kind from a private donor.

The gift launches the initial phase of development and construction on the 285-acre park, which could become one of America's greatest urban parks.
Quote:
"This gift will begin the creation of a great public space in our city that will be a place to gather, to enjoy nature and promote health and well-being," she said. "I cannot think of a more lasting and meaningful way to honor Harold's memory and legacy."

With the donation — and with city council approval — the park will be named The Harold Simmons Park.
Quote:
The funds needed to build the remainder of the park could be raised over the next few years. The park also will be operated as a private entity with the help of The Trinity Trust until an entity is established to oversee and manage it.

The Simmons' donation will be used to further the design of the conceptual renderings and fund the construction of the park near downtown Dallas.

The concept plans include putting pathways and trails along the natural river landscape with sites for five elevated parks that will extend from inside the levees into the adjacent communities.
Quote:
"My hope is that in the near future we can begin a series of public input meetings to start building out the design of the park," he said. "By next year, we want to be building America's next great urban park."
Full Article

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 8:44 PM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^Amazing news! I'm really excited to see the outcome of this park, this is going to to be a huge asset to the city. With the increase of construction going on in both the design district and west dallas this development should help these neighborhoods become some of the most desirable in Dallas!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
^^^Amazing news! I'm really excited to see the outcome of this park, this is going to to be a huge asset to the city. With the increase of construction going on in both the design district and west dallas this development should help these neighborhoods become some of the most desirable in Dallas!
Hoping that this is a sign of something happening. It will be 20 years (come 2018) that voters approved the funds for the park....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
Hoping that this is a sign of something happening. It will be 20 years (come 2018) that voters approved the funds for the park....
Actually having money to build the park is a good start. My hope is they can get this started without any trace of that freaking tollway.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 10:09 PM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^At this point I would rather them just build the slower 4 lane tollway if it means we can see construction start within this decade because this has been delayed long enough and I thinking/hoping that at least the upgraded park will still manage to be better than whats there now. I'm just tired of waiting.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
My hope is they can get this started without any trace of that freaking tollway.
Agreed.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 1:29 PM

Developer eyes hotel tower for Uptown site near Maple Avenue
Steve Brown
November 1, 2016

Quote:
Alamo Manhattan Corp. proposes to build a hotel - not more apartments - on a half-block site off Maple Avenue near Turtle Creek.

The 19-story, 220-room hotel would sit on a site now occupied mostly by a condominium complex.

"It's a great opportunity for a full-service hotel," said Alamo Manhattan CEO Matt Segrest.
"Everybody loves Uptown and there is a demand for this hotel.

"We are looking for something different with this project."
Quote:
He said the hotel would be created using Marriott's new luxury modern design program.

WDG Architecture designed the brick and glass building, which will include a ground floor restaurant and about 12,500 square feet of meeting space.

"Our sweet spot is the professional business traveller," Segrest said. "One thing Uptown is lacking is good meeting space - the demand is huge."

To build the hotel Alamo Manhattan must obtain increased development density from the city. Segrest said the firm is starting to meet with neighborhood groups and city planners about the project.

If everything goes as planned, construction would start in 2018 with an almost 2-year building period.

Full Article

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 3:02 PM
Hopeful Graduate

^^^ Very unexpected! Not sure how I feel about the design, but considering that this is near the site for the planned office tower by The Cresent and the planned apartment tower next to Frost, this may become a nice cluster!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 4:49 PM

I like the building a lot and yeah, it's definitely becoming a nice cluster of towers over there. That whole Oak Lawn area is densifying so much, and this is just more positive momentum.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Speaking of Trammell Crow Center, they finally got the crown lit up again last night after nearly 2 months of darkness. I guess the newer lights at the base, below the pyramid, malfunctioned since they went dark not long after being added.
I was wondering about that I went to the Aurora Events weekend before and was wondering why it was dark.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:04 PM

Here's the location (Carlisle @ Fairmount, south corner)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 2:13 AM

That Nick & Sam's lot is such a waste of a great site. There needs to be a tower there with N&S in the bottom of it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
That Nick & Sam's lot is such a waste of a great site. There needs to be a tower there with N&S in the bottom of it.
Too bad we can't see the other side. I hope they manage to connect it well to Nick & Sams so that it turns out unique and organic.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Too bad we can't see the other side. I hope they manage to connect it well to Nick & Sams so that it turns out unique and organic.
Given that Nick & Sam's is suburban in nature (surrounded by parking) it will likely remain isolated.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 6:31 PM

Developer ready to start tollway office project
Steve Brown
November 3, 2016

Quote:
Cawley Partners' FOURTEEN555 project will include two, 240,000 square foot, 6-story office buildings at 14555 Dallas Parkway.

"It's the old Ewing car dealership site," said developer Bill Cawley. "We're ready to move ahead with construction."
Quote:
The next office project includes large courtyard and a 3-story "amenity building" with restaurant, outdoor seating, a fitness center and conference facility.

Cawley plans to construct the two new tollway office buildings in separate phases.

Full Article

Project Location

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 9:43 PM

New report shows Dallas construction spending at nearly $10B USD, up 8% from Sept. 2015.

This places Dallas behind only NYC.

Los Angeles placed third.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 10:46 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post

I wanna bicycle the trails during those flood events!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 11:47 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
I wanna bicycle the trails during those flood events!
Just wear a life jacket and you should be okay.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 11:36 PM
Hopeful Graduate

From Saturday by me:

Katy Station

Skyhouse + Ascent

The Union

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations