HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 9:07 PM
Space Magi

Yeah that is definitely a rendering. The lot in question is right on 700 E.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 9:09 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Yeah that is definitely a rendering. The lot in question is right on 700 E.
Oh, gotcha. I guess it confused me because most of the time the entire shot will be a rendering, including the people, vehicles, roads, etc.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 7:19 PM

All of the Lotus buildings and proposals have been impressive infill/missing middle housing from what I've seen.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 7:40 PM

Possible update on High rise at 3rd s and 32nd east.

I was talking to an employee in the coffee shop in the "Tavernackle Building"
and she told me she was told that the 31-story apartment tower slated for
that corner was blocked and there was going to be an eleven story apartment

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 7:43 PM

(continuation of previous thread)

She said the 31 story apartment tower had been blocked and only an eleven story building was going to be built there. She stated they were planning to vacate the building around late april or early May.

Can anyone out there confirm or deny this rumour?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Possible update on High rise at 3rd s and 32nd east.

I was talking to an employee in the coffee shop in the "Tavernackle Building"
and she told me she was told that the 31-story apartment tower slated for
that corner was blocked and there was going to be an eleven story apartment
Nooooo I hope that’s not the case

That tower is so pretty and would add much needed density east of state street

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 9:29 PM

It really doesn’t seem likely that it has been blocked. The 31 floor tower is well within the height restrictions for a D1 zone property, meaning it doesn’t even need to go through a Design Review. It also has not officially been brought before the city even, so this seems almost impossible that the city has rejected the tower.

If it is to be reduced to 11 floors, it would be because the developer wants that instead. However, the 31 floor tower was announced just a month ago in February, so that seems extremely unlikely as well — especially with the economy improving.

The timeline of when the current occupants must leave is within what we had been expecting though, so that part sounds true.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 10:14 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
Thanks for the great updates Blah!! As always, your posts are among the local's favorite. Without your continued coverage of the Wasatch Front boom, the local Mountain West forum site would be a lot less interesting.

So far I really like this project below, especially for that particular area. As presented it looks to be designed sufficiently with the correct elements to not appear as a cheap copy of classic row housing. This will really continue to set a much higher bar for that area from its harsh pass-through commercial vibe of the past few decades.

If that project up on Lincoln should go through I would hope they would take some cues from this much more attractively finished product.
I like these. I wish Salt Lake would develop more rowhouses. I would take those over these generic four-story condos that seem to be spreading like herpes all over the valley.

Last edited by Comrade; Mar 26, 2021 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 3:15 AM

What skyscraper and urban city enthusiasts see is the new dense construction boom weaving a new urban fabric into the valley and transforming SLC into the future. What I see - young people buying into rent servitude to the big capital rentier class owning your labor and future. You pay rent, you own nothing, they own everything.

Most of these developments are rentals. They look great, they make the city look modern, hip, progressive, but the people living there, like my young adult children, have no real future and no stake in ownership.

I have money. My children, your children do not. Without buildings and developments that allow my and your children to own a piece of real estate, to invest into the infrastracture through direct ownership, we are going backwards, not forward into the future.

My .08 cents

Last edited by tchild2; Mar 27, 2021 at 3:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 10:57 AM

New Development - 800 W. and Emeril Ave

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

A new 6 floor, 70 ft tall, & 120 unit housing development in the North Temple/ Euclid Neighborhood area has filed 'Transit Station Development' documents with Salt Lake City.

Currently titled '800 West Apartments' (could be a temporary name).

This project is directly north across Emeril Ave. from 'The Highrise at Emeril' project I posted about two weeks ago. Also across the street is the Emeril Studios project and is in the same block as the 113 unit Greenprint North Temple microunit project.

Project Description:
Quote:
In partnership with Roers Companies, we propose construction of a 120-Unit Multifamily Development at 37 North 800 West, Salt Lake City aimed at providing housing at a time of great need while engaging the urban neighborhood and becoming an integral piece of the city fabric. This 0.75-acre property is part of the TSA‐UN‐C zone and, is required to go through this TSA Development Score Review process. Current land uses on site are a single level commercial space, 2 small short-term homes, excess building storage, and area pertaining to a property recovery lot.

This project is designed to provide living spaces for the ever-expanding area of Salt Lake City at a low cost but with a fresh and modern look. Ground level amenities including an easy access dog wash center, bike storage available to aid in the expanse of the growing need to lower greenhouse gases, a versatile fitness center, and an attractive, welcoming Lobby (with designed space to wait for tenants to wait for Uber or Lyft rides). Above the podium are two social courtyards as well as a top floor (6th floor) Group Room with direct access to a roof-top patio (with BBQ’s and a fire pit) overlooking SLC.

The main level is designed to engage the dual street frontage with a combination of building amenity spaces and residential units. The main floor has an increased floor to‐floor height of 14’ ‐ 0”. Since it is running along 800 West, the building gives a modern feel that people living in SLC long for while upholding a low profile thanks to the alternate access road (N. Emeril Ave), it creates a building block for the TSA zone and offers the potential for future commercial or other mixed‐use functions.

The design also includes a parking area (which is not visible from the street) integrated into the main floor to increase the road appeal and provide parking area while maximizing available space.
The building is designed to give entry prominence to 800 West (which is better suited to traffic) and to highlight Emeril Ave. and its current neighborhood aesthetic.

We use material changes to help add differentiation to each portion of the buildings to give it depth and human scale.

Elevations & Building Section:

Current Site Conditions:

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 27, 2021 at 11:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchild2 View Post
What skyscraper and urban city enthusiasts see is the new dense construction boom weaving a new urban fabric into the valley and transforming SLC into the future. What I see - young people buying into rent servitude to the big capital rentier class owning your labor and future. You pay rent, you own nothing, they own everything.

Most of these developments are rentals. They look great, they make the city look modern, hip, progressive, but the people living there, like my young adult children, have no real future and no stake in ownership.

I have money. My children, your children do not. Without buildings and developments that allow my and your children to own a piece of real estate, to invest into the infrastracture through direct ownership, we are going backwards, not forward into the future.

My .08 cents

Agree, a lot of these current developments are definitely geared towards maximizing profits and are very much one size fits all solution to a boom in housing demand. I think that will change with time and it’s also why the missing middle is so important. Most of these 5-7 story housing developments should be short term. Unfortunately that’s all we are getting. The next logical step for developers will be diversification of housing. IMO SLC is basically starting from scratch in the downtown core with housing. There wasn’t much existing so we are being flooded with generic housing that is supposed to be a relatively short term living situation. Our next step will be to get more “missing middle” projects going soon assuming demand is there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 8:04 PM

Even many of the for-sale missing middle housing units are well outside the price range of most younger people to afford. I fear it will be a while before these units "mature" enough to become affordable, and who knows what the housing market/world will look like by then?

Also, as a response to the Emeril Avenue project posted above, what is with these apartments being proposed that have street-floor amenities or commercial that are recessed beneath an overhang?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 3:51 PM
BANNED

That new proposed tower has a little bit of a middle east feel to it, not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully that is not its final design.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 8:46 PM

Yeah, I like the finish materials but what's with the windows??

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 8:51 PM
They all float down here

I'm tired of everything being brown, gray and white. These earth tones colors are just bland as fuck. In fact, Salt Lake has to have some of the most uninspired, boring developments per capita of any city.

I just want diversity and we're not getting it. Literally everything is just a copy of the last development, with minor changes. In 50 years, I wonder if people will look back on this era of development and think we must have been the most boring mother fuckers alive.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 10:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I'm tired of everything being brown, gray and white. These earth tones colors are just bland as fuck. In fact, Salt Lake has to have some of the most uninspired, boring developments per capita of any city.

I just want diversity and we're not getting it. Literally everything is just a copy of the last development, with minor changes. In 50 years, I wonder if people will look back on this era of development and think we must have been the most boring mother fuckers alive.
Yes, yes, yes. I agree! Every time I go into other cities center like La, Atlanta, etc., you really see how boring the skyrises and towers are in Salt Lake. Hell, even the cities that Salt Lake is always compared to such as Portland, Sacramento, Nashville, etc., their buildings and skyscrapers have more color, personality, and better designs than Salt Lake. I don’t know if the designers are the ones to blame, or the city, but damn, it’s ridiculous how they all look similar here and have no personality.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future__Mayor View Post
Yes, yes, yes. I agree! Every time I go into other cities center like La, Atlanta, etc., you really see how boring the skyrises and towers are in Salt Lake. Hell, even the cities that Salt Lake is always compared to such as Portland, Sacramento, Nashville, etc., their buildings and skyscrapers have more color, personality, and better designs than Salt Lake. I don’t know if the designers are the ones to blame, or the city, but damn, it’s ridiculous how they all look similar here and have no personality.
I think this is a bit ridiculous.

Portland has basically a couple nice modern buildings and two brown buildings. The rest are identical gray buildings from the 1980s or so.

Sacremnto basically has a couple dark gray/brown buildings and then its just gray.

Salt Lake has a good variety and plenty of color. We have white, multiple shades of blue, beige, brown, copper, and bronze and a little gray.

I would also point out that the new towers under construction will add several more shades of blue to the city. 95 State's color looks amazing to me!

Not to mention Kensington, which will add some white to the southern part of downtown.

Then we have Worthington, adding anther copper tone building to the mix

I mean, what do you want them to be? Pink? Red? Orange?

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Mar 29, 2021 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 12:00 AM

^
We also have the Multi Ethnic High-rise which is salmon colored.
..bad example.

Seriously though, I think we have a decent variety of buildings for the size of our skyline. We just need more of them.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 1:51 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
Thanks for the great updates Blah!! As always, your posts are among the local's favorite. Without your continued coverage of the Wasatch Front boom, the local Mountain West forum site would be a lot less interesting.

So far I really like this project below, especially for that particular area. As presented it looks to be designed sufficiently with the correct elements to not appear as a cheap copy of classic row housing. This will really continue to set a much higher bar for that area from its harsh pass-through commercial vibe of the past few decades.

If that project up on Lincoln should go through I would hope they would take some cues from this much more attractively finished product.
This seems like a very nice project. I really like the Old School Row House idea. Hopefully they will use brick for their facing.

Is the Tavernacle eleven story project just that? A bad story. I would just assume they do nothing, if eleven stories is what they have scaled the Worthington down to. Any confirmations on this?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
This seems like a very nice project. I really like the Old School Row House idea. Hopefully they will use brick for their facing.

Is the Tavernacle eleven story project just that? A bad story. I would just assume they do nothing, if eleven stories is what they have scaled the Worthington down to. Any confirmations on this?
As I said, it seems pretty improbable they would scale down a tower to that degree that they just announced a month ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West