HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:57 AM

B3 will really cap off the entire area (check that, once the mill is developed, that will). But coming over the Mill Ave bridge, seeing the HFL buildings as almost a gateway, and cruising into the heart of Mill Ave will really be cool. ...damn we're geeks...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:01 AM

I didn't even know there was a B3. With all this development in Tempe, are we becoming the Tempe metropolitan area?????

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:35 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...offee0202.html

Coffee talk: Keeping Mill Ave.'s 'sense of place'
William Hermann
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 1, 2007 12:49 PM

Mill Avenue is not Scottsdale Fashion Square, Paradise Valley Mall or Chandler Fashion Center. And Pam Goronkin says she intends to keep it that way.

Goronkin, a former Tempe City Council member who lives in south Tempe, this fall took over as director of the Downtown Tempe Community, an association of central city property owners and merchants that promotes downtown Tempe. This week she spoke publicly for the first time about where she hopes DTC is going over the next few years.

Goronkin said keeping Mill Avenue's, "unique, wonderful sense of place," in the face of massive downtown development and the opening this year of the Tempe Marketplace shopping center is a top priority.

"On Mill, we have a sense of place, of history, we're real," Goronkin said. "Malls are not bad places . . . I shop at Scottsdale Fashion Square . . . but they are designed, contrived places. Mill Avenue is a public place, the town square, a gathering place and you know you're somewhere when you're here. We absolutely have to preserve that."

Preserving Mill's uniqueness is a challenge, Goronkin admits.

"We have significant owners here from out-of-state who we want to help understand the uniqueness of Mill Avenue," Goronkin said.

She noted that major investors on Mill include Canada-based Avenue Communities, as well as businesses based in Australia, Florida and Las Vegas . . . not to mention Phoenix-based companies.

Goronkin said that despite some key downtown businesses leaving Mill Avenue in the past decade - Changing Hands Bookstore's departure was lamented by many - Mill is still home to "a very significant number of smaller businesses."

"We don't want to lose the little businesses; we need to provide places for them," Goronkin said.

And as big players like Arizona State University and the city of Tempe, as well as various corporations, eat up square footage on Mill, finding a place for small businesses is getting tougher and tougher.

"You find space for those small businesses by developing a decision-making model for development in the downtown that would include off-Mill retail," Goronkin said. "You open up the street grid more and have opportunities for side street retail. Even using alleys is a way to retain small, unique and quirky businesses of all kinds."

Goronkin said that beginning next week, the DTC will begin conducting a "strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats" (SWOT) study.

"That will be an analysis not only of Mill Avenue, but of our regional competitors," Goronkin said. "Then the DTC board's strategic planning team will look at the SWOT analysis and make determinations about next steps - what we must do in the next three to five years to ensure that Mill Avenue fulfills its potential."

Goronkin said that one thing is very clear to her and will guide her as she works with the DTC board of directors and area landowners and merchants.

"It's about retaining balance on Mill," she said. "Residential is important to stabilize the economy. We need room for businesses big and small. It's also a seat of city government. We want the right mix of shopping and entertainment. And we need our share of technology businesses."

Goronkin said that mix adds up to one thing.

"It's a real downtown, a real place, and it's unique in the Valley," she said. "We'll preserve and build on that, but we don't have time to lose. Development is intensifying and we need to get going.".

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:36 AM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-83325

26-story condo in works for Tempe Town Lake
By Misty Williams, Tribune
February 1, 2007
A Scottsdale developer announced Wednesday it hopes to begin construction of a 26-story condominium tower on the north shore of Tempe Town Lake early this year with sales opening in March. Developed by WestStone Communities, Onyx Tower would include 196 condos, ranging in price from the $300,000s to more than $1 million. The high rise — with its solid black glass walls — would sit near Rural Road and Loop 202.

Units will run in size from 1,653 square feet to 2,368 square feet, and the top five floors will be penthouses, said Marilyn Pfaff, WestStone’s sales manager and marketing director.

Tempe is a hot area for growth right now with new shopping centers, offices and hotels planned, she said.

“Now you need the condos to support all the other growth, so it’s very hot,” she said.

WestStone’s tower is one of a number of planned projects that could bring more than 2,000 condos to the area surrounding the lake, said John Fioramonti with real estate research firm Hanley Wood.

The million-dollar question is which of these projects will be successful or even get built because of the slowing real estate market, he said.

Fioramonti said he’s seen a frenzied rush to build condos during at least three housing market cycles in the 30 years he’s lived in the Valley.

“The bug starts, and everybody starts building condos,” he said. “And then they have way too many condos, and they can’t give them away.”

This time around, though, the argument for more condos may be stronger because it’s the only way to live closer to city cores, he said.

Still, some condo projects will likely be put on the back burner and others will be transformed into office projects, he said.

WestStone’s project will be built but probably won’t find the same kind of success as its Northshore condo development in the same area, he said.

Still in building stages, the 134-unit Northshore project is nearly sold out.

Pfaff said WestStone isn’t concerned about growing competition from other planned condo projects or the housing slowdown.

The developer is working to make the Onyx Tower units more affordable than other luxury products offered, and the lake is a desirable place to live, she said.

It’s close to freeways, the airport and Arizona State University, Pfaff said. West-Stone also is one of the initial groups building in the area.

Five years from now, “that lake is going to be a place you wish you would have bought in,” she said.

The tower will include a rooftop lap pool, bar area for private parties, 10-seat movie theater and conference room.

Construction could start early this year and finish in summer 2009, Pfaff said.

WestStone has submitted initial plans for the project to the city, and the proposal could be considered by the Development Review Commission some time in March, Tempe Planning director Lisa Collins said.

If approved, the project would be considered by the City Council in April, she said. Building height and other issues still need to discussed, but the project generally fits in with the lake area’s master plan, Collins said.

“It’s sort of the vision of the city and the area,” she said. “It’s coming to fruition, so that’s a good thing.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And the long awaited rendering!!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:40 AM

This rendering obviously was a preliminary one-
The pool is going to be on the roof (unless there will be two) and the exterior is supposed to be black...

How cool of a project though! -Prices seem good....
C'mon Real Estate market!!
Pick up.... pick up!!

I like how renderings avoid including all surrounding buildings!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:43 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
26 stories is going to look a bit out of place at the location, but thats ok w/ me, density and height are always good news. I really like that they are trying to keep the prices more reasonable and aren't going the "luxury" route. The rendering makes it look nice, nothing groundbreaking or overly exciting, but the black should be an interesting look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
They seem to do that a lot, which is obviously because they want you to focus on the project, but I think they'd be well served to also do renderings showing the surrounding buildings. It would give a better sense of density (and in a project like this, Im sure buyers want density) and place.

Last edited by HooverDam; Feb 2, 2007 at 10:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:01 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post

I like the fact that they keep Curry road, but exclude the 202.

"10-lane freeway? What 10-lane freeway?"

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 2:36 PM

$300K for 1600sqf? Wish me luck as I attempt to persuade the wife into selling our house in north Tempe to buy into Onyx! If these price projections are true, that's great. Though not cheap by any standards, that price range is much more attainable for young professionals who are just starting out.

Also, I love that rendering, but it doesn't look black.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 3:05 PM
zzzzzzzz

An article from the Tribune about Onyx? I just got deja vu. It's like that movie Groundhog Day... Oh shit, it is Groundhog Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevilgrad View Post
$300K for 1600sqf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrindley View Post
300k+ for 1600+ sqft?

I agree, though. It's good that they're not all "starting from the low 700s" or something like that. I was in Chicago in the fall and I saw numerous signs for new high rise condos starting in the 200's. I know we've kind of discussed this before and Chicago has a lot bigger supply so the prices can be lower, plus the condos there are likely less spacious (probably not 1600sf anyway), etc. But it's unfortunate that virtually all the high-rise or mid-rise condos planned or under construction here seem to be for people who make well over $100k/year. Hopefully there will be more like this that offer something for those of us who don't quite earn 6 figures.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:35 PM

the rendering is probably not what it will look like. its supposed to be completely black. hopefully it does end up being black, that would look cool. however, i just had a thought, an all black building in arizona??!! doesnt sound to economically reasonable to me... oh well at least it would be nice to look at

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale View Post
the rendering is probably not what it will look like. its supposed to be completely black. hopefully it does end up being black, that would look cool. however, i just had a thought, an all black building in arizona??!! doesnt sound to economically reasonable to me... oh well at least it would be nice to look at

Why not? It would be like having dark tinted windows, which kick ass in the summer sun. I think it would be better.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Why not? It would be like having dark tinted windows, which kick ass in the summer sun. I think it would be better.
Have you ever been inside a black car in the summer? tinted windows or not its pure hell until it cools off. i was saying its not economically reasonable for arizona because it costs that much more to keep it air-conditioned in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 8:54 AM

If it's a glass-faced building, then tinting the glass as black as possible will help with the energy efficiency.

If it's some other material that is simply colored black, there will probably need to be additional insulation in the building to compensate for the heat absorption, but I wouldn't say it's "economically unreasonable."

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 9:01 AM

It won't be that bad. At different points in my life, I've owned both a black and white car before, and in 110 degree heat with full sun, the difference in the end isn't exactly substantial. It was still hot as hell in the white car.

Also, a few major hotels in Las Vegas do have black (or very dark) exterior window/ glass treatments.

Overall I rather like a little more variety in color.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 7:43 AM
zzzzzzzz

I was in the downtown Tempe area on Friday and Saturday and had my camera with me both times, so here are some pics. Most of these are condos under construction or recently constructed in the neighborhood west of Mill Ave. I wonder how a lot of these developments will age. What will people think of the design in 20 years or so? Some of them (525 Town Lake, Millstone, and Tempe Urban Living in particular) look a little strange in my opinion. In general, though, I'm really impressed with the all the infill projects in the area.

Millstone (between Farmer and Wilson at about 3rd street).

525 Town Lake (north side of 1st street, just east of Roosevelt)

Regatta Pointe (just east of 525 Town Lake)

5th Street Lofts (ne corner 5th St & Roosevelt)

The Brownstones (south of 5th St, east side of Roosevelt)

Centerpoint rising in the background...

Tempe Urban Living (across Roosevelt from the Brownstones)

Dolce Villagio (west side of Hardy at 2nd or 3rd Street)

Merrion Square (nw corner University & Beck Ave)

The Vale (se corner University & Beck)

Dorsey Place (sw corner Dorsey & University - this one is east of Rural Rd., so not in the same neighborhood as the others)

And I took some pics from A Mountain. A lot of them didn't turn out too well because the sun was in an unfortunate spot and my camera couldn't handle it! Here's downtown Tempe, with Centerpoint in the... center (see what I mean about the sun?)

Looking southeast from A Mountain with the LRT alignment snaking its way through the ASU area...

Hayden Ferry Lakeside (featuring Garage Mahal East)

the tower crane in the background is for the 6-story Papago Gateway Center (I think that's the name of it).

That's it. Hope you enjoyed it.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 9:47 AM

i really like the brownstones design. its the type of timeless design, it will never go out of style. also, centerpoint is rising pretty fast isnt it? i was just in tempe last week to see a movie and was surprised at how fast it is rising. go tempe!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 10:50 AM

Awesome pics-
Thanks for the updates!
-I especially like the pics of Hayden Ferry from A Mountain.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 4:23 PM

Cool pics For!

I can't believe the amount of infill that is going up in Tempe, epsecially in that neighborhood, most of it has gone in since after I graduated (except I think Merrion Square has been U/C since I was still at ASU back in the day). I agree with your assessment of the developments though, can they stand the test of time?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 11:25 PM
-_-

It is amazing that there are so many infill projcts, but it's a shame that about half of them are pretty cheap loking now, let alone 20 years from now.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 3:57 PM

I also love the design of The Brownstones. I wish more infill projects would look like that and less of this ultra-modern stuff. I especially HATE the Vale with all those obscene colors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest