HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 2:22 PM

Definitely, good news.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road
Definitely, good news.

As we've said earlier, it's the perfect spot for a hotel project. Hopefully, Tempe will keep up the pace and we can look forward to another project going up in a realatively short amount of time.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 7:54 PM

Great day in Tempe

Is there any place as exciting in the Valley of the Sun as Tempe? Had a great day yesterday at the Arts Festival, and also had a chance to check out all of the projects going on. Here's a recap:
1. Northshore looks like it's going to start putting their tower crane to use in the near future. It appeared that the elevator core for the first floor was done so we should see some height in a little bit. I know it's only 6 stories, but what a great location!

2. The old Club Rio building has been demolished to make way for?

3. Hayden Ferry Lakeside's second condo tower, Bridgeview, is completing work on the 3rd (or 4th, can't remember which) floor of the 12 story tower.

4. The Garage Mahal Part II: Attack on Tempe. Or how about: Garage Mahal Redux. Anyway a downer note on the Lakeside development is the freaking parking garage in the Hayden Ferry Lakeside development that sits essentially on the corner of Mill and Rio Salado. What an eyesore, hopefully they can spice it up before completion (color schemes or something) but the monstosity is almost complete.

5. Centerpointe. Is there another project in the Valley that is this exciting (maybe Cityscape?)? Here's some pics of the progress (pics aren't great, i took them with my phone and couldn't really tell what I shooting, lol):

Click on pics for bigger size, sorry my first pic post, lol

View of the 5th floor of the 22 story tower:
[IMG][/IMG]

Cool pic looking north towards Hayden Ferry Lakeside:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking at the 30 story tower, looks like they'll be putting the 2nd story in place soon!
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by sundevilgrad; Dec 4, 2006 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevilgrad
2. The old Club Rio building has been demolished and removed to make way for Onyx!
Is that where Onyx is going?
For some reason I thought Triyar owned the Club Rio land and they were doing a big mixed use project later down the road a bit....

I thought that Onyx was on the same plot that WestStone is doing Northshore- just closer to the bridge....

Can anyone confirm?
It always amazes me how backwards I am some times!

sundevilgrad- Thanks for the pics-
As for your questions-
Is there any place as exciting in the Valley of the Sun as Tempe?
No. (in my opinion) -But a close 2nd is the Scottsdale and Camelback area... Waterfront Development alone is huge! -But add to that a W hotel, Camelview and Safari Drive, Main Street Plaza and close by the Valley Ho and Residences on Main.... This as well as some cool new nightclubs on the boards... and a "Green" hotel...
Obviously Downtown Phx and the whole Central Corridor has some serious momentum/ developments and projects- but not in such a concentrated area...
The other place I was gonna mention is the Desert Ridge- to Scottsdale and 101 area.
In 5 years that area will be sick! (If Scottsdale One, Palisene and City North all happen as projected).
and.....
Is there another project in the Valley that is this exciting (maybe Cityscape?)?
Cityscape and The University Square project if it ends up happening... (Tempe) and also the redevelopment of the Silo mills!

I see what you're saying about that parking garage- but I think it blends in much better than Garage mahal because of all the surrounding buildings... I also think Suncor plans to match the design of the buildings in the parking structure.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 8:27 PM

What new nightclubs are on the drawing boards?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 8:34 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr
Is that where Onyx is going?
For some reason I thought Triyar owned the Club Rio land and they were doing a big mixed use project later down the road a bit....

I thought that Onyx was on the same plot that WestStone is doing Northshore- just closer to the bridge....

Can anyone confirm?
It always amazes me how backwards I am some times!
I'm pretty sure you're right, loftlovr. Onyx is supposed to be built in the "Playa del Norte" development on the east side of Rural.
http://www.tempe.gov/lake/Developmen..._del_Norte.htm

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:34 PM

Where's Onyx?

Its a little like Waldo, hard to find where Onyx is supposed to go.

The city of Tempe link for Playa del Norte notes it as lot #3. If you open the .pdf of the Development Plans at the top, Lot #3 is a restaurant pad. There is no mention of Onxy. Tempe needs to update this one...confusing, no?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:35 PM

Nice save loftlovr and ForAteOh, I wasn't trying to spread misinformation. For some reason I had it in my mind that Onyx was going on the Club Rio site, but I was mistaken. I stand corrected.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:44 PM

I know there is something going on just south of the In-N-Out, not sure what though. It's listed as Lot #2, and says it will be retail/office, but it sure looked like a fast food joint construction to me.

As for Onyx, I just had it in my mind that the Rio spot is where it was going. The lot #3 seems kind of small for a project the size of Onyx, I guess we'll find out.

On another note... If you're in Tempe and want a great view of the Development that's going on there's A Moutain (Tempe Butte to non-ASU grads) that I'm sure you're all aware of, but another great spot is the 7 floor parking garage just north of University and West of Ash. The pics in my earlier post are from the parking garage on the east side of Ash, but the views are much better from the other side. Great views of DT/Midtown Phoenix, Camelback Corridor, Town Lake and DT Tempe, without the hike of A-mountain (not that it's too difficult or anything).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:47 PM
zzzzzzzz

It would probably make more sense if they were putting it at the old Club Rio site. I think that Playa del Norte site is going to be pretty crowded when Onyx, Northshore and Grigio are completed. There is only one minor road through that development, and the people moving into higher-end condos like Onyx aren't likely to leave their cars at home and get on a bus.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:53 PM
Skyriser

The Lot #3 slated for a restaraunt is where the Onyx tower is going to be. It was going to be a a restaraunt originally as recorded in the early site plan, but they changed their mind after brisk sales for the rest of the Northshore project.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 10:06 PM

And Sean comes through with the score! Thanks Sean...sounds like you are in the know.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:10 AM
Desert Urbanite

I work as an Intern at the City of Tempe Planning Department, and according to that AZ Republic article, yes...everyone here is busy. I will clear up a few misconceptions:

-Onyx Tower will be on Playa del Norte - Lot 3. It will be 26 stories high (the developer recently increased the height by three stories, pending Tempe City Council approval).

-Just south of the In-n-Out and north of Onyx, where it is fenced off...that is going to become another restaurant/retail center, and it's only going to be two stories because of the proximity to the massive power lines to its north.

-Across the street, where the old Club Rio stood, and according to the Maricopa County Assessor's website, that land is owned by NamWest, the same developer who is doing the Brownstones at Tempe (which is an awesome looking project, by the way). All I know is that the site will become another lovely mixed-use high rise complex. Very exciting indeed.

-Hayden Ferry Lakeside Parking Garage: that garage is not really on the corner of Mill Avenue and Rio Salado. At the NE intersection, Hayden Ferry Lakeside Phase 3, which is the 10 story tower, will be located there, and the corner of that tower will be right against the intersection. I believe the parking garage will have some decorative aesthetics, and on the other side of the garage, facing north, there will be retail. Some of you don't realize that Hayden Ferry Lakeside will have a nice retail plaza that will snake from the street corner all the way to the hotel. SunCor decided to construct the rest of the parking garage's 8 stories because of the new developments going on on their site.

I hope this answers a few of your concerns.

-Andrew

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:45 AM

Hopefully my fears of that garage will be eliminated when complete. We always tailgate for ASU games in the northwest corner of lot 59 (right next to the Lakeside development), so I've noticed the garage a bunch. It's huge, and very noticable, and right now it's not very appealing. I hope the SunCor does something, aesthetically speaking, so that it doesn't retain it's current look. It is a huge, hulking structure right now.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837
-Across the street, where the old Club Rio stood, and according to the Maricopa County Assessor's website, that land is owned by NamWest, the same developer who is doing the Brownstones at Tempe (which is an awesome looking project, by the way). All I know is that the site will become another lovely mixed-use high rise complex. Very exciting indeed.
I kind of hate the Brownstones project myself.
There are 5 Brownstone projects that all look the exact same in that area.
They look cheap. Most are wood frame.
If they are meant to mimic True NY Brownstones they'd be sturdy/ masonry...

But that's just me!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:35 AM

http://www.grigio.com/

Pretty cool huh?
If I were only a bit younger, better looking and cooler!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 5:48 AM

Post US Airways Proceeding with Tempe Hi-Rise

I was wondering about how the plans for a new hi-rise on US Airway's property would be affected by the recent Delta takeover bid. Here's the scoop from today's Trib.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-80020

Tempe sees future with US Airways despite past
By Garin Groff, Tribune
December 4, 2006

Taxpayers have been giving incentives to Tempe’s hometown airline since 1998 to construct a building that still doesn’t exist — but officials say it’s about to become real.

Tempe

Though it’s unclear whether US Airways will keep its headquarters in Tempe given its hostile takeover bid for Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines, the company insists it’s still planning to expand its downtown presence.

US Airways recently developed drawings for a multistory building on Mill Avenue that the company says it will build soon, but it hasn’t given any specific dates. City leaders wanted to keep the Tempebased airline in town so much that they’ve pledged to pay about $15 million over 20 years as an incentive for it to stay and expand. Although the airline has missed two deadlines for the expansion, the city has been lenient, granting extensions.

US Airways approached Tempe with preliminary plans for a new building shortly before making the Delta bid, an $8.6 billion deal which could be a defining moment for the company. Despite the potential megadeal, US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant said the company doesn’t expect it to slow efforts on the new building.

Tempe senses the airline will finally construct the overdue project despite missing deadlines — and in spite of the potential Delta deal.

“They’re right on the cusp of getting something done,” Vice Mayor Hut Hutson said.

Still, the airline is all but certain to miss another deadline — and to have the city reduce its annual payment.

The city gives US Airways $812,000 a year, but Tempe can cut that by $175,000 if the building isn’t done in February 2007 — an impossible deadline since the airline hasn’t even submitted blueprints.

In 2004 and 2005, the City Council refused to penalize the airline for missing other deadlines, including one to finish the building by July 2005. Instead, Tempe gave the company even more time.

Councilman Ben Arredondo approved the extensions before but said he won’t do that again.

“I expect them to show for something because I think they know the council is anxious to have something built on Mill Avenue,” Arredondo said. “And I would not anticipate this merger, if it goes through, to change anything.”

Arredondo added he’s found the airline’s efforts sincere.

If the city hadn’t approved an extension, it could have bought the L-shaped property that fronts Mill and Third avenues and resold it.

The land is among the downtown’s most valuable properties.

It has more space along Mill Avenue than nearly any other downtown site, sits across from the historic Hayden Flour Mill and is next to a light-rail station that will open in December 2008.

So far, the airline has shown the city only preliminary drawings of the project, which has multiple floors with space for shops on Mill Avenue. The company has pledged to return with more formal plans. For now, the drafts seem to satisfy Tempe’s vision for the area.

“I think they’re doing their best to comply with the development agreement,” said Chris Salomone, Tempe’s community development manager. “They’re just late.”

The incentive deal was struck when the company was America West Airlines, which merged with and took the name of US Airways this year.

Durrant said that merger has not stalled the project. But the airline isn’t ready to divulge any details or give a timeline.

US Airways hasn’t indicated whether it would move its headquarters to Delta’s Atlanta base if the takeover goes through, leaving uncertain whether Tempe will keep one of its best-known and largest employers.

City leaders said they expect the airline will still have a sizable presence here, regardless.

US Airways owns its Tempe buildings, but Delta leases much of its Atlanta space. Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman said the arrangement would seem to work in favor of the company building here.

“I do believe they’re quite serious, but they obviously have a number of issues they’re dealing with immediately,” Hallman said.

For years, the city and other downtown landowners have been eager to have the property developed.

It’s mostly just a grass lot — and that lack of development makes the street feel dead and discourages pedestrians from the southern end of Mill Avenue from walking northward to Tempe Town Lake. The new building also would add more employees downtown — a perfect captive audience to boost restaurant and retail sales. Hutson said he never would have voted for the deal, but he doesn’t blame the airline for waiting until the real estate market surged and the property became more desirable. The downtown boom makes Hutson believe the airline is eager to build soon.

“I just think the market conditions right now tell them this is the time to act,” he said.

Last edited by JimInCal; Dec 5, 2006 at 5:51 AM. Reason: .

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 8:53 AM
Desert Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr
I kind of hate the Brownstones project myself.
There are 5 Brownstone projects that all look the exact same in that area.
They look cheap. Most are wood frame.
If they are meant to mimic True NY Brownstones they'd be sturdy/ masonry...

But that's just me!
I interned with the architecture firm that designed the Brownstones, and trust me, it isn't all wood...there is a lot of masonry and high-quality brick that was used in the construction of the project, I have done several walk-throughs of the place while it was under construction. It's a high-standard project compared to others in the area.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 8:39 AM

I actually feel the same about Millstone on Farmer.
The one with lots of red block...

But this was a pic of The Brownstones early on in construction:

Maybe they used more masonry in the exterior facads of the buildings.
The renderings looked very cool- I just felt like too many Brownstones too close to another.

-But what the hell do I know!
Anyways- if everyone had my taste Phx would be a futuristic scene from the 50's.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 6:33 PM

Tempe's Cityscape fellas!
(Okay so is Centerpoint and the redevelopment of the Silo Mills)
But this one is massive!

http://www.universitysquaretempe.com/

University Square is situated in the heart of the ASU Campus and Mill Avenue District and will provide masterly-designed commercial, residential, hotel and retail in a metropolitan environment.

NEWS:

University Square was fully approved by Tempe City Council on August 17th, 2006
University Square received no hazard designation from the FAA on August 25th, 2006
For office, retail or restaurant leasing information please contact Pete Meyer at 480.451.9077

http://www.universitysquaretempe.com...sitySquare.mov
Movie

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest