HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 7:32 PM
Me?!?

I think the above project is a good one in theory, but do we really need the same shit AGAIN?!? Go a few miles down the road and you have these exact same restaurants. Why not put something different there to draw both travelers and residents alike?!? My new slogan for the area: "Harrisburg: lots of new stuff, but most of it the same..."

I am excited about this new parking garage. Yes I know, it's a parking garage. But it's taller and can hold more, and I think it will pave the way for future development.

HARRISBURG

Downtown garage receives approvals

Thursday, November 17, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

After months of delays, a plan to build a 750-space parking garage along South Street in downtown Harrisburg is back on the fast track.

The 12-deck garage, proposed by the Harrisburg Parking Authority, has won two approvals that city officials say should clear the way for construction to begin this winter.

"Everything's in place," Mayor Stephen R. Reed said.

The $17 million concrete parking garage, which would be cast on site, is expected to take about 15 months to build, said Joe Link, city engineer.

The oft-delayed project, planned for 220 South St. between Second and Third streets, was buoyed by two decisions this month.

The first, by the Harrisburg Zoning Hearing Board, granted special zoning exceptions to build the 120-foot-tall garage in the city's special intensity district, where the height limits range from 45 feet to 70 feet.

The hearing board also granted exemptions for larger lot coverage and floor area ratios.

This week, City Council unanimously approved a separate zoning amendment that removes various restrictions in the special intensity district. The amendment applies only to public parking garages.

The changes, which Reed vowed to sign into law, would permit public parking garages of heights up to 125 feet in the district, which extends from Locust Street to the south to a block north of Forster Street, west to Front Street and east to Third Street.

The amendment also exempts public parking garages from setback requirements and allows for more space to build.

The city sought both approvals after the parking garage, which was first approved in June, was challenged by the PMA Foundation. PMA owns a neighboring building at 225 State St. that houses the Pennsylvania Manufacturing Association.

Charles O. Beckley II, a lawyer for PMA, said the group is considering whether to file additional appeals of the new approvals.

PMA has been critical of the project, saying it is too big for the neighborhood. Beckley has criticized the zoning amendments for making special rules for public parking garages.

"I don't think it's valid," Beckley said of the legislation. "I don't think you can pass an ordinance for a single user."

But Reed and Link said they believe the two approvals put the garage on firm legal ground and said the project would proceed in the face of further appeals.

The first step will be to sell $17 million in bonds to finance the construction. That could happen in about a month, officials said.

Then construction would start with foundation work that involves boring up to 28 feet into bedrock to anchor the garage. Link predicted this work could go on through the winter.

The garage would serve Belco Community Credit Union, which is expanding its headquarters and consolidating operations on the east side of the 400 block of North Second Street.

It also would allow parking for the nearby Pennsylvania State Education Association. The garage could be open on weekends to serve churches and in the evenings to provide overflow parking for downtown restaurants and clubs, officials said.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 7:34 PM
Me?!?

New tourism bureau focuses on Dauphin, Perry counties

BY REGGIE SHEFFIELD
Of The Patriot-News

Travel and tourism marketing in the midstate will now be coordinated from a multi-county bureau based in Harrisburg.

Formed in the wake of the defunct Hershey-Capitol Region Visitors Bureau, the new Hershey-Harrisburg Regional Visitors Bureau will call the Veterans Building at 12 Market St. home. It will be staffed by two full-time employees and managed by the Pennsylvania Tourism and Lodging Association.

Officials said the group needed to be reorganized after Cumberland and Lebanon counties left the bureau.

The bureau includes Dauphin and Perry counties and the city of Harrisburg. At a news conference yesterday, public officials applauded the cooperative effort between the public and private sectors.

"This is a leaner, more efficient travel and tourism marketing agency that is now freed of the constant parochialism and branding dilution that hallmarked our former agency," said Joseph Massaro, the bureau's chairman.

"Now we are able to focus solely upon our region's principal tourism draws, without regard to geographical boundaries or political gamesmanship," Massaro said.

Dauphin County Commissioner George P. Hartwick III joined others in saying that travel and tourism efforts in the area are only made stronger if the entities stick together.

"No regional effort is perfect, and it takes leadership to create a more regional effort. It simply does not happen when you take your ball and go home," Hartwick said.

Representatives from the city, Dauphin and Perry counties, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts, the Dauphin County Lodging Association, Penn National Race Course and others will help coordinate the bureau.

The bureau's budget is estimated to be $750,000. The bureau will be funded locally by hotel room tax revenues and by a grant from the Pennsylvania Travel Office.

The midstate has plenty to offer visitors, and travel and tourism efforts should be geared at doing their best to attract them, Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed told a lunchtime audience at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.

"The new visitors bureau will be active and aggressive. It will do resource assessment, craft and proceed with an action plan, conduct marketing, do visitor profiles, monitor success, and identify issues and gaps with corrective solutions," Reed said.

Midstate tourism accounts for 15,000 jobs, hundreds of businesses and more than $1 billion in revenue from visitors and travelers, Reed said.

Cumberland forum to address mass-transit options

From staff reports

CARLISLE - Leadership Cumberland and the Greater Carlisle Chamber of Commerce will host a public forum on mass transit options for Cumberland County from 7 to 9 tonight at Dickinson College.

The session will be in the Holland Union Building.

County officials and representatives from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Modern Transit Partnership, which is promoting the Corridor One commuter rail proposal, will speak.

Questions will be accepted from the audience.

For more information, call the chamber at 243-4515 or Leadership Cumberland at 258-9500.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 8:27 AM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
I think the above project is a good one in theory, but do we really need the same shit AGAIN?!? Go a few miles down the road and you have these exact same restaurants. Why not put something different there to draw both travelers and residents alike?!? My new slogan for the area: "Harrisburg: lots of new stuff, but most of it the same..."
i agree Dave...it's more of the same old stuff, but at least it's something. i've been noticing that some of the suburbs are taking on a life of their own. the route 22 corridor, the swatara township area, and middletown are developing the same old stuff. the same is happening on the west shore along the carlisle pike, route 15, and wertzville road. it seems as though Harrisburg's suburbs are becomming little mecca's for stip development and big box stores. what's interesting is that most of this development is in existing developed corridors...at least it's not the typical sprawl.

Quote:
I am excited about this new parking garage. Yes I know, it's a parking garage. But it's taller and can hold more, and I think it will pave the way for future development.
i'm excited about this too...i just hope it doesn't become a huge theme. i would rather see less dependency on parking garages and more of a shift to mass transit...ie: corridorone. it appears that this garage may be the exception to the rule, but i also don't like the idea of building higher directly in the view of the capitol from the river. i wouldn't want to see this become a precedent for future highrise development in this district, when it could be concentrated further south in the CBD.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2005, 7:19 PM
Me?!?

I don't quite get the title of this article (or lack thereof) but I am guessing it's a little mixup LOL

COMING TOMORROW

Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts marks sixth year

The Patriot-New
Saturday, November 19, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

It began as a bid to save a turn-of-the century Victorian firehouse that was crumbling away.

Ten years later, the Pennsylvania National Fire Museum has become an enduring institution, as well as a blueprint for Mayor Stephen R. Reed's plans to add museums in the city.

"That was our first museum project," said Reed, who opened The National Civil War Museum in 2001 and has plans for a sports hall of fame on City Island and a black history museum in midtown.

The $3.5 million fire museum's anniversary is being marked this evening with a cocktail reception for local elected officials, regional tourism experts, museum members and past and present fire chiefs, among others.

Located in the refurbished and expanded Reily Hose Company No. 10 at 1820 N. Fourth St., the museum houses artifacts from the hand-drawn equipment of yesteryear to modern firefighting tools.

It's run by volunteers, mostly firefighters, and it is supported by about 400 dues-paying family and corporate members, admission fees and sales from its gift shop.

The museum has a budget of about $30,000. While the city owns the building and as landlord is responsible for repairs and maintenance, the museum is self-supporting, said Dave Houseal, head archivist.

"City funds are not used to support anything we do," Houseal said.

Among fire museums, Harrisburg's is considered to be in the top five in the nation by the Fire Museum Network, which ranks such things.

Business has more than doubled since 2001, when the museum dropped "Greater Harrisburg" and added "Pennsylvania National" to its title. The name change gave the museum a marketing edge, recasting it as a statewide and national attraction, officials said.

"The old name didn't have any relevance for people outside the area," museum Vice President Brian Enterline said. "They thought it was just based on Harrisburg and the surrounding area. The name change really opened up the tourism."

These days, the museum attracts firefighters during the Firefighters Expo at the Farm Show Complex, which draws more than 22,000 people each May.

Enterline said signatures in the guest book reflect visitors from all 50 states and numerous foreign countries.

"We've had people from all over the world," he said. "A lot of the tourists have no connection to the fire service. They just want to learn a little firefighting history."

Most visitors stop by while on visits to the Capitol.

"It attracts everything from school groups to day-trippers. There's a huge market for it," Reed said.

On average, about 5,000 visitors a year peruse the museum's pumpers, apparatus and fire engines.

The museum boasts the oldest existing piece of American fire equipment, a 1790s hand cart pumper made in Philadelphia.

There's a restored and operational Gamewell alarm headquarters, donated by Johnstown.

There are hundreds of items, including firefighters' tools, parade helmets, belts and uniforms, and a stovepipe hat collection from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Beyond being a tourist attraction, Reed credits the museum and the restoration of the old fire station with helping re-energize the uptown neighborhood, which has prospered with the Capitol Heights housing development and other ventures.

As a firefighter, Enterline said he enjoys the symbolism of the fire museum rescuing a neighborhood.

"We took some flack early on, but our $3.5 million museum has really paid off," he said. "We put a gem in the middle of this neighborhood."

JOHN LUCIEW: 255-8171 or jluciew@patriot-news.com

IF YOU GO

The Pennsylvania National Fire Museum is at 1820 N. Fourth St.

# Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays; noon-4 p.m. Sundays.

# Admission: $5 for adults, $4 for senior citizens, $3 for students.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2005, 7:35 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchr
i agree Dave...it's more of the same old stuff, but at least it's something. i've been noticing that some of the suburbs are taking on a life of their own. the route 22 corridor, the swatara township area, and middletown are developing the same old stuff. the same is happening on the west shore along the carlisle pike, route 15, and wertzville road. it seems as though Harrisburg's suburbs are becomming little mecca's for stip development and big box stores. what's interesting is that most of this development is in existing developed corridors...at least it's not the typical sprawl.
I do agree, Chris. IMO HBG's suburbs are like LA's or DC's: each now have their own identity and one could easily live, work and shop in the 'burbs and never set foot in the city. The city does have its own distinct personality and the core is still very important, but it's not really required for many people to live their lives.

I guess it's a lot like most metros anymore...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 5:56 AM
joining the rail club

^ i agree Dave...growing up in CH, i almost never made the trek into the city, unless it was a special occasion. i suspect that won't change anytime soon, unless there become more reasons to visit HBG.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2005, 11:59 PM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Speaking of special occasions:

Coming Attractions
Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts at six
Sunday, November 20, 2005
BY DAVID N. DUNKLE
Of The Patriot-News
The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts arrived in Harrisburg like a war hero, with church bells ringing, music playing and a story filled with drama and derring-do.

"They had a wonderful party for everyone," recalled Maurinda Wingard, executive director of Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet. "It was an amazing theatrical event -- big people on stilts with all kinds of costumes, amazing food and lots of performances, of which we were one. There was a lot of glitz."

Six years later, the party atmosphere has died down.

The center's backers are basking in their successes -- 86 percent of midstate residents know about the Whitaker Center, and 61 percent said they or their children have been there -- but they are also taking a hard-eyed look at the future.

From the beginning, Whitaker's combination of science museum, performing arts and an IMAX theater defied expectations. When it opened, some thought the brownstone-and-glass complex was an architectural mismatch in downtown Harrisburg. A Patriot-News columnist described it as "ugly" and "prisonlike."

Those criticisms have died off.

"People have gotten used to how it looks," said Rusty Baker, executive director of the Susquehanna Art Museum, who calls the design "awesome."

But challenges lie ahead. What Mayor Stephen R. Reed has called "Harrisburg's crown jewel" had a tough year in 2004, losing nearly $815,000.

"There was an overall softening in all of the various sources of income," President and CEO Byron Quann said. "We had a lower number of school district visits, our gift total was lower, we had less appreciation on our investment income."

Operating revenue -- money from such things as ticket sales, the museum store and parking -- has settled in at about two-thirds of the center's need.

With an annual budget of $6.6 million, that's some $2 million in gifts and grants needed each year.

Quann said efforts are on track to eliminate the deficit within a year. But science center attendance is down. Resident companies are struggling with their own finances. And officials are trying to increase the center's endowment to $20 million.

The real drama at Whitaker these days is backstage, and it's about money.

Blockbusters:

The center became known for its core offerings -- the science center, live performances and IMAX theater -- but recently has discovered a new weapon: the big event.

The first was 2004's CowParade, in which local artists painted 136 Fiberglas cows as a public art project. Rustling those cattle was something of a coup for the center because the event had been licensed mainly in major cities such as Chicago, Atlanta and Las Vegas.

Many of the full-sized cows still dot the Harrisburg area landscape, including "The Sunday Cowmics" in front of The Patriot-News office on Market Street.

The project was popular and profitable, as the cows were auctioned and miniatures were sold in the Whitaker Center museum store. CowParade generated $223,000 in net income and funneled $54,500 to 42 local nonprofit groups.

"We sold a lot of cows," Quann said.

The cows were followed this year by "Titanic: The Artifacts Exhibit," a scaled-down version of an exhibit that has toured large cities.

The 52,000 people who visited "Titanic" hailed from 30 states and 50 Pennsylvania counties. Each paid $5 on top of the usual admission, though an undisclosed portion of that $260,000 went to the exhibit's owners.

"What it tells us is that if we have something good that people can't see closer to home, they will come here," Quann said.

Plans are under way for another event next summer. Officials are keeping the idea under wraps, but Quann said "that certainly is critical for us."

Static electricity:

Whitaker's three-floor Harsco Science Center is a descendant of the former Museum of Scientific Discovery in Strawberry Square. It uses interactive exhibits, labs and actors to explain scientific principles to youngsters.

The science center has remained largely unchanged since opening day except in the Gloria M. Olewine Gallery, which features three or four exhibits a year. The current offering is "Grossology, The (Impolite) Science of the Human Body."

Thousands of school-age children pass through the science center each year, a product of contracts with area school districts. But the number of visitors has declined recently.

About 13,000 schoolchildren visited Whitaker in May, the busiest month for school trips. That's down from more than 16,000 in May of 2003.

"We have 240 static exhibits in the science center and they are fine," Quann said. "But you do run the risk that attractions could become familiar to everyone."

Steve Bishop, the science center's new vice president, is heading a review of all exhibits. "We will be asking, 'Does this still work? Is it still fun?'" Quann said.

A makeover probably will cost between $1 million and $4 million, said Whitaker board president Mark G. Caldwell. It would be a major upgrade for a science museum that brought in just under $600,000 in 2003.

Stage business:

Some of Whitaker's most public bumps in the road have involved the Sunoco Performance Theater.

The 664-seat theater is shared by the center and eight resident companies; their relationship has sometimes been fractious. In 2003, a promotional agreement between the center and WITF left out the resident companies, and some complained that they were being pushed aside.

"We were the backbone of Whitaker Center when it started," said the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet's Wingard at the time. "This feels a bit like a betrayal. If Whitaker Center is not going to promote its own residents, I'm not sure what real benefits we receive or why we are even there."

"The honest truth is, the resident companies often find themselves in competition with Whitaker," added Tom Hostetter, artistic director of Theatre Harrisburg.

Since then, the center has made an effort to work more closely with its companies, and those complaints have dwindled.

"We are extremely happy to be at Whitaker," Wingard said recently. "Whitaker has really worked hard to market the resident companies, and we appreciate that."

"We love being the resident theater company," agreed Theatre Harrisburg executive director Dominique Flickinger.

If relations with the local companies have improved, revenue from the Sunoco theater is limited.

Not even the largest company, Theatre Harrisburg, can consistently sell out the auditorium. The center brings in a full schedule of popular acts -- standbys such as Arlo Guthrie and Dr. John, younger names such as Dar Williams -- but they are limited by the size of the house.

A hit production, "Menopause, The Musical," played to sellout crowds for five days this summer. More seats would have meant more ticket sales.

Raising ticket prices could drive up revenue, but might also reduce attendance. Quann and others said tickets for most events are priced about as high as they can go.

Increasing the number of shows is another possibility, but prime weekend spots are mostly taken by the resident companies, which get first choice on dates. The theater is already busy, offering about 240 performances in 2004, according to Stephen F. Krempasky, Whitaker's vice president of theater operations.

Pleasant surprise:

The biggest surprise has been the IMAX theater. Like so many aspects of the Whitaker Center, the IMAX was a controversial addition.

"I actually questioned the wisdom of an IMAX," said Lucy Miller, founding director of Market Square Concerts. "I was glad to be proven wrong on that."

The 200 seats, giant-screen theater has turned into one of the chief attractions and moneymakers. More than half the people who enter the center attend an IMAX film, and the cinema offers more than 2,000 shows annually.

In 2003, the IMAX brought in about $937,000 -- less than the $1.2 million generated by the Sunoco theater but more than the science center.

Those numbers are likely to rise following the center's recent upgrade that allows the IMAX to show first-run movies. "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory" did well this year and "Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire," which just opened, is a potential cash cow.

Growing the nest egg:

While popular programs are essential, officials said, the best way to ensure the center's long-term future is to grow its endowment. It had remained under $5 million until a $5 million gift from the Whitaker Foundation roughly doubled it last month.

Officials have just launched a campaign, "Excellence and Innovation: The Next 10 Years at Whitaker," that sets new priorities. Chief among them is increasing the endowment to at least $20 million.

Until that time, the center will remain beholden to the generosity of the black-tie crowd. Patrons such as Lois Grass have come to the rescue more than once.

Grass, a Harrisburg resident and longtime supporter, put up $80,000 to purchase a so-called "diva shell" -- a backdrop of acoustic panels that improve stage sound.

In today's economy, organizations with too-small endowments feel the pinch. Philadelphia's Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, for example, posted a $2.2 million deficit during the past fiscal year and laid off 12 percent of its staff. The Kimmel has a $25 million endowment.

Whitaker Center has a significant advantage over Kimmel -- its $53 million building in downtown Harrisburg is paid for, which means there is little debt.

While the Kimmel opened in 2001 with a $30 million debt, Whitaker officials initially chose to focus on paying off the building rather than worrying about an endowment.

Now that has changed.

"If things stay as they are, we are going to have to continue to come up with that other $2 million [every year]," board president Caldwell said. "Endowment dollars can be used to fund our operating shortfall."

Still, Grass said the endowment goal is a long-term approach.

"The endowment will start to build when people start to die and leave us in their wills," she said.

Track record:

Expectations were huge for the center when it opened on Sept. 9, 1999.

It would be a marriage of arts, science and cinema.

It would be the premiere performance venue in central Pennsylvania.

And it was supposed to spark an economic revolution in downtown Harrisburg.

The center already has achieved many of the goals set for it six years ago.

It has provided a stage for the arts and has become one of the midstate's best-known venues. Some 2.5 million people have attended events there in the past six years, and Whitaker has played a significant role in the growth of Restaurant Row -- the three dozen nightclubs and restaurants clustered around North Second Street.

Reed estimated that the center has had an economic impact of $138 million in related jobs, spending and taxes. A recent Whitaker Center marketing study placed that number at $200 million.

"We placed high expectations on Whitaker, and those expectations have been met," Reed said.

Mark Caldwell seemed to be summing up the center's past and voicing a hope for its future when he said, "It's hard to imagine Harrisburg today without Whitaker."

DAVID DUNKLE: 255-8266 or ddunkle@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Nov 21, 2005, 12:04 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Congrats to the Whitaker Center, and kudos on a well written article.

One problem I noticed from the numbers in the article is this....if 2 mil in non-operating income is needed everyear, and one uses the "normal" figure of 5 percent return on an endowment fund a year...they will need at least a 40 million endowment, not 20 million.

Actually, I have to admit that while I've been in the art gallery across the street, I've never gone into the exhibits at the Whitaker Center (I did get to the gift shop). I dunno, I guess nothing they've had yet appealed enough to me (or I did'nt know about it) enough to get me in there.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2005, 11:46 AM
joining the rail club

Supervisors OK Hersheypark plans
Water-related attraction to open in 2007
Wednesday, November 23, 2005
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

Derry Twp. supervisors last night approved Hersheypark's plan to add several water-related rides for the park's 100th anniversary in 2007.

Hersheypark officials have offered few details, but the proposal includes a water-play device, three pools, a waterslide, a water playground and a fountain.

Supervisors approved the plan even though the township Planning Commission recommended last month they reject the development plan submitted by Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Co. because of stormwater management concerns.

Company and township engineers had disagreed on how to most accurately demonstrate how water would be contained and released, but have since resolved the issues, said Jeffrey Keiser, the township's community development director.

Supervisors approved the plan contingent on approval from the Dauphin County Conservation District and Hershey Entertainment posting a bond or letter of credit, Keiser said.

The new attractions would be clustered in the Midway America section of the park just west of Park Avenue and the Lightning Racer dueling roller coaster. The attractions would replace the Frog Hopper and one other ride, project engineer Tim Przybylowski said in October.

The attractions will be built during 2006 and opened in 2007, Keiser said.

Hersheypark officials said yesterday they could not yet release specific information on the rides.

New attractions are kept under veil because there is stiff competition among theme parks, a Hershey Entertainment spokesman said.

The company generally introduces a major attraction every two years -- the Great Bear coaster in 1998, Lightning Racer in 2000, Roller Soaker in 2002 and the hydraulic-powered Storm Runner last year.

In other business last night, supervisors approved Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center's preliminary five-year land development plan.

Plans include a cancer center, a children's hospital, a new parking garage and addition to a current garage, expansion of a fitness center, and two outpatient buildings.

Supervisors must approve each building after it is designed. The plan gives supervisors and planners an overall look at the impact on traffic, stormwater and other things in and around the hospital campus, medical center spokesman Sean Young said.

DIANA FISHLOCK: 255-8251 or dfishlock@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Nov 24, 2005, 4:42 PM
Me?!?

Boy, they are really jamming as much as they can into that park aren't they! I would imagine their next step will be developing the land across the street, where the airport used to be.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2005, 2:12 PM
Me?!?

:nuts:

Wal-Mart, church might have to cut size

Sunday, November 27, 2005
BY BILL SULON
Of The Patriot-News

A lot has happened in the two years since the Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. worked out a deal that would allow the retailer to build on the church's 26-acre tract in Lower Paxton Twp.

The overcrowded church would get $12 million from Wal-Mart and use the money to build larger facilities on 110 acres in West Hanover Twp. owned by the Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg.

Legal challenges in the two townships have put plans on hold, and no work has begun at either site. There's been no holding pattern for building costs, which were climbing even before the hurricane season drove up prices for lumber and related materials.

As a result of litigation and delays, the church and Wal-Mart might have to settle for smaller facilities.

The world's largest retailer had hoped to get started in August 2004, when it received conditional approval from Lower Paxton Twp. to build a 223,806-square-foot supercenter at Route 22 and Blue Ribbon Avenue. Wal-Mart filed a lawsuit after the township rejected the plan when the retailer failed to respond to nine conditions within 15 days.

Wal-Mart disagreed with some of the conditions, including one calling for the store to build a fence that met the approval of a nearby property owner, and argued that the township sent its conditional approval notification to the wrong representative. The township has since acknowledged that it erred on the fence issue, but stood by its argument that it sent the notification to the correct party and that Wal-Mart failed to respond by the deadline.

During the legal battle, Lower Paxton Residents for Responsible Growth, which initially opposed the supervisors' conditional approval, filed suit to intervene on behalf of the township after the approval lapsed.

Another group, Concerned Citizens of West Hanover Twp., appealed their supervisors' conditional approval of Holy Name's plan. Both groups cited concerns over the environment and traffic.

The sides met at a hearing this month before Dauphin County Judge Lawrence F. Clark Jr. He will decide whether the additional parties can intervene in the case, and, more importantly, if Lower Paxton Twp. erred in rejecting Wal-Mart's plan.

"I would like to get this done before the end of the year, or shortly thereafter," Clark said. "But I'm not going to rush it."

If Clark decides that the township properly rejected Wal-Mart's plan, the retailer can still build, though it would have to return with plans for a smaller store and parking area. That's because in the time since Wal-Mart's plan was submitted, the township adopted a zoning ordinance that reduces the amount of space allotted for a building and parking lot to 65 percent of the total property, from 75 percent.

If the church gets approval to build in West Hanover, the diocese, too, might have to scale back its plans.

Holy Name, which has 8,500 parishioners and 550 students, wants to build a church that would seat 1,800 people, double its current capacity. It also wants to build a school, a rectory, athletic fields and other amenities at Sterling and Oak Grove roads.

Two years ago, the project would have cost an estimated $16 million. Holy Name planned to use the $12 million from Wal-Mart and raise $4 million.

Today, it would cost $20 million, said Les Zimmerman, director of buildings and properties with the diocese.

"The church was a fairly large size, and we will have to scale it back," Zimmerman said. "The parish is going to have to get it back down to where it was originally, $16 million."

Holy Name Monsignor Robert E. Lawrence acknowledged the church "may have to be scaled back a little bit" and that other buildings "would be smaller." He said that diocese officials are awaiting resolution of the legal issues.

"We're still moving forward," Lawrence said. "What it's going to look like depends on how long it takes to get permission and how much it will cost. Something's got to happen. We need another place."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2005, 4:02 AM
Me?!?

Well I must say I was completely saddened today when I was behind the Harrisburg Mall in the Chambers Hill Rd./441 area. ALL of the trees in the TecPort area are now completely gone, leaving an unobstructed view of DT from the Chestnut Point Apartments!!! The growth and progress in the area is sure nice, but the destructive sprawl that comes with it is certainly not.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2005, 7:08 PM
joining the rail club

COMMUNITY SERVICE
PNC Bank strives to be cornerstone of revitalization
Thursday, December 01, 2005
BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

PNC Bank tomorrow will hold what it calls a "ribbon-tying" ceremony at a new branch in a struggling Harrisburg neighborhood.

It's called a ribbon tying because the bank at 13th and Derry streets in the Allison Hill area aims to unite the urban community it serves.

For the past 21/2 years, PNC has united efforts of interest groups within the private, nonprofit and public sectors.

"Anytime you have that triangle, all working together toward a common goal, it will be successful," said Christopher R. Rockey, vice president and community development officer at PNC. "It's just how long until you reach that level of success."

The Allison Hill branch has been open since October.

"We see [the branch] as fulfilling a need that hasn't been met," Rockey said. "It fits in perfectly with some of our other missions as far as serving minority demographics and getting into communities where they're underserved, and providing opportunity and leveling the playing field."

Linda Figueroa, executive director of the nonprofit Community Action Commission, said PNC is filling a vital need for the community. "You just can't fix the homes," she said. "You need to re-institute the kinds of things that make a community work."

The PNC branch is in a commission-owned building that once housed a Wachovia Bank office that closed a few years ago. Since then, Figueroa said, talks were held with six banks and four credit unions before PNC decided to take the first-floor space.

PNC has installed an ATM that provides banking information in nine languages.

"Nine is impressive," a reflection of the bank's thought process "about going into a multi-ethnic location," Figueroa said.

"Our bank is very, very progressive when it comes to accessibility and communication to all cultures," Rockey said. He attributes this sensitivity to the efforts of Carrie Zayas, vice president and Hispanic segment manager in the Pittsburgh offices of PNC Financial Services Group Inc.

Zayas joined PNC more than eight years ago as a part-timer at a call center in Pittsburgh. While in training, she took an interest in Spanish-speaking customers.

People would transfer calls to her, and she started keeping a notebook. Within two years, she received 1,500 voice mails a month from Spanish-speaking customers.

"I wanted more," she said. "I wanted to have my own team, and I wanted to create a department and give my own toll-free number. It wasn't easy, but I did have the support of my managers."

Eventually, Zayas worked on preparing banking materials in Spanish.

"We don't just take something in English and make a Spanish version of it," she said. "We create materials specifically for the Spanish-speaking audience that are culturally relevant."

The materials -- on issues such as credit, checking accounts and budgeting -- are available at the PNC Derry Street branch to reach out to residents who might not use a bank.

Zayas, who received a top performer award from PNC last year, said she's "really excited about what we're doing. I'm proud to be a part of it. I can't wait to see what a great success they're going to be."

Since the Derry Street bank opened, business has picked up steadily, said Carlos Campozano, the branch manager. "Now I'm seeing that more Latinos, Spanish-speaking, are coming."

Among the bank's six employees, four are bilingual.
"It's wonderful," said Mark Moseley, executive director of Tri-County HDC Ltd. who lives near the branch. "Here's a bank that's actually putting their money with their mouth is" when talking about supporting low-income communities, he said.

Rockey said PNC sees a lot of opportunity in the area and believes the bank will be part of the forefront of a "renaissance" in the community. He pointed to ongoing commercial revitalization in the region and other projects on the drawing board.

Among those projects, he said, are plans to revitalize the 7.6-acre Allison Hill Automotive site. "It's a gem," he said. PNC has offered $20,000 to help in that project.

In addition, Rockey observed that Tri-County HDC intends to build or restore 48 scattered housing units along Market and Derry streets.

Moseley said his agency has received nearly $8 million in financing from the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency and the city to help with the project.

He said the agency also is working to provide six for-sale homes along Derry Street as part of the Capital Corridor project that receives funding from the city and the state Department of Community and Economic Development.

Rockey said the Derry Street PNC branch "would not have happened if there hadn't already been an interest in revitalizing this community. ... We see this as an excellent opportunity, for us coming in the forefront, to help this community grow and thrive."

Besides the bank, construction work is continuing at the Derry Street building for offices on the upper two floors. Figueroa said "we've had some serious inquires for that space," but she wouldn't disclose any names.

TOM DOCHAT: 255-8216 or tdochat@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Dec 1, 2005, 7:18 PM
joining the rail club

Insurer uses high-tech data center
BY DAVID WENNER
Of The Patriot-News

It's surrounded by spike-topped fences, built to withstand hurricanes and filled with computers that process sensitive information on roughly one in every 10 Americans.

If outside utility services are lost, generators and water-storage tanks would enable it to continue functioning for three days.

It's not a government installation. It's the Highmark Inc. data center in West Hanover Twp.

The $29 million center, which employs 50 people, serves Highmark and all of its subsidiaries. It provides storage capacity for claims and medical information involving about 25 million people.

It replaces a Camp Hill data center that Highmark officials say housed the same computers, but lacked the layers of security and backup features needed to protect health care information today. Highmark will use the old center for office space.

"Health care data is some of the most precious data around," said Dr. Kenneth Melani, Highmark's CEO.

Security threats include thieves who could use personal data to establish phony identities or steal from Highmark subscribers.

Another threat, Melani said, are terrorists, who could use the data to learn things such as the number of people in a given area who aren't immunized, or information related to Highmark's military contracts.

Melani noted that the law requires insurers to keep health information private. A security breach could result in "a tremendous loss from a liability standpoint," he said.

But the center also is about making information available. There's a nationwide effort to create an electronic network to make medical information instantly available to hospitals and doctors who need it to treat a patient. The Highmark center can provide that data when the network is built, Melani said.

Melani said the center is expected to meet all of Highmark's data-storage needs for the next 25 years. He expects the center to add 20 or more employees by the end of next year, and more workers if Highmark wins one of 12 regional contracts involving Medicare patients.

During a ceremony yesterday, Melani said opening the center in West Hanover Twp. reflects Highmark's goal of no outsourcing to other states or countries.

Dauphin County Commissioner George Hartwick III praised Highmark for maintaining good local jobs and helping to dispel a "myth" that American workers won't do the best possible job.

DAVID WENNER: 255-8172 or dwenner@patriot-news.com

Old Posted Dec 2, 2005, 3:47 AM
Me?!?

Area jobless rate falls

The unemployment rate in the Harrisburg area dropped to 3.8 percent in October, from 4 percent in September.

The region -- Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties --continued to have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the state. The lowest jobless rate in the state in October was 3.5 percent in the Lebanon and State College areas. The rate in the Lancaster area was 3.6 percent, and the rate in the York-Hanover area was at 3.9 percent.

The statewide unemployment rate in October was 4.6 percent, and the national rate was 5 percent.

Overall, the Harrisburg area saw an increase of 600 jobs in October when compared with September. Service industries added 500 jobs from September to October, most of them at the new Giant supermarket in Camp Hill and at the new Kohl's department store in Carlisle.

The number of goods-producing jobs increased by 100 in October overall. However, manufacturing jobs were down by 100 from September to October and are down by 800 from a year ago.

Wages for manufacturing jobs in the Harrisburg area averaged $15.89 an hour in October, down 10 cents from September. The average manufacturing work week was 39.3 hours in October.

Statewide, the average hourly manufacturing wage was $15.23, and the average work week was 40.8 hours.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2005, 3:49 AM
Me?!?

A really interesting article for sure, and one can easily see how this ties into the news above; the area is heading towards a service/tourism economy at an incredibly fast rate!

HARRISBURG

Riverboat ridership increases

BY REGGIE SHEFFIELD
Of The Patriot-News

Last summer, the Pride of the Susquehanna Riverboat had to be towed to shore after it got stuck on a rock in the river from which it takes its name.

Despite low water levels due to a very dry summer, about 31,000 riders went aboard the riverboat, up from 26,258 riders the previous year. More than 4,000 riders were out-of-state tourists, the most ever, according to the Harrisburg Area Riverboat Society.

A big reason for the increase in out-of-state visitors?

"Buses," said Betsy Hower, executive director of the riverboat society.

Hower has worked to lure more bus tours, and this year, the riverboat drew tours from Ohio, Michigan and North Carolina.

"The riverboat sails whether or not I have 10 people or 40 people. I want the 40 people because that will pay for the operation of the boat," Hower said. "Group sales are more reliable and less weather-dependent."

Those bus tours boost the local economy.

"In Dauphin County, tourism is the second leading employer and revenue generator, largely due to Hersheypark, but it does rank up there," Dauphin County Economic Development Director Daniel Robinson said.

A 2001 study by George Washington University reported that a bus group visiting a destination for one day spends between $2,500 and $5,000, American Bus Association spokeswoman Lori Harrison said.

An overnight stay means $5,000 to $11,000, the study indicated.

Riders on the Pride of the Susquehanna, which recently celebrated its 18th birthday, may pick from such cruises as wine and dinner or a banana split ice cream social.

Some cruises feature local jazz bands playing as the boat floats past North Front Street's Governor's Row and under the lights of the Market Street Bridge. The 100-foot boat sometimes hosts murder mystery performances.

It sails from late April through October. Its winter home is on City Island.

"I realize now that the story about the Pride needs to be continuously presented to the public; what it does and how it provides information, education and recreation on the Susquehanna River," new board member John Sebastian said.

"What's remarkable is that they could go anywhere and eat dinner when they're passing through, but they decide to go to the riverboat," Hower said.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2005, 10:27 PM
joining the rail club

Mr. Hero posted another incredible photo thread on HBG. Check it out!

Harrisburg, Capital of Pennsylvania

Old Posted Dec 2, 2005, 10:52 PM
Me?!?

/\
Thanks, Chris, I'll be on my way to there after this.

Score one for Holden (again)!!! Man, I love this guy!!! :carrot:

HARRISBURG

$5 million to give HIA aircraft a little breathing room

Friday, December 02, 2005
BY REGGIE SHEFFIELD
Of The Patriot-News

Civilian and military aircraft at Harrisburg International Airport will have more room to move, thanks to $5 million in federal money for airport improvements.

Civilian aircraft from the airport and military aircraft from the Pennsylvania Air National Guard's 193rd Special Operations Wing are sometimes forced to share parking and taxiing space. The money will provide additional taxiway space.

U.S. Rep. Tim Holden, D-Schuylkill County, secured the money in the 2006 federal budget.

"They had a traffic problem and a congestion problem down there where we had the civilian aircraft mixing in with the military traffic," Holden said.

"They are the most deployed Air Guard unit in the country. They're in Iraq right now," Holden said.

The funds come from a military appropriations bill President Bush signed into law Wednesday.

Earlier this year, Holden and others were lobbying to make sure the 193rd wouldn't be moved out of the midstate as part of the military's plan to close or merge bases.

No midstate facilities were on the list of base closures the Pentagon released earlier this year. Holden has said the recent improvements at the 193rd and at HIA helped ensure it would stay.

Wing Commander Brig. Gen. Steve Sischo said that when the airport fills up with civilian aircraft, he has to park his big EC-130s somewhere else. The EC-130s are specially converted transport planes tricked out for surveillance and psychological warfare.

"We possess eight airplanes, and we don't have enough room to park them. Typically when they're all here, we have to borrow space," Sischo explained.

The planes carry highly sophisticated equipment designed to preempt a country's normal programming and serve as an airborne broadcasting station. Sischo said they aren't the type of planes that can just be parked anywhere.

"It really comes down to being able to park all our airplanes together," he said.

The federal funds will also give the airport more room, said Tim Edwards, HIA deputy director of aviation.

"This will give us more space and allow us to fully utilize our cargo ramp," Edwards said.

The project, which will add about 51/2 acres to the space that the Air National Guard has at HIA, is expected to begin next spring and should take about six months.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2005, 8:21 AM
joining the rail club

^ nice post Dave...my brother is actually in that unit. They have been planning an expansion of the Air Guard Base at HIA for some time now. I'm glad to see it's finally materialized. It's really cool to see the military aircraft and the large hangers when your landing at HIA

Old Posted Dec 3, 2005, 7:58 PM
Me?!?

New parking garage precedes Hershey transportation center

Saturday, December 03, 2005
BY DIANA FISHLOCK
Of The Patriot-News

Downtown Hershey has a new parking garage on West Chocolate Avenue, but officials say it is only the beginning of plans to make it easier to get to Chocolate Town.

The garage is the first phase of a Derry Twp. Industrial and Commercial Development Authority project involving a transportation center and more parking.

The three-level parking garage beside the Hershey Press Building has spaces for about 250 vehicles and is open to the public. It opened in mid-November.

"The completion of phase one marks an integral part of the revitalization of downtown Hershey," said Michael H. Pries, chairman of the authority. "This project is just one of the many efforts ICDA is undertaking to invigorate the local economy."

The Hershey Intermodal Transportation Center will provide park-and-ride bus service throughout the tri-county metropolitan region for employment, entertainment, tourism and shopping needs.

The second phase will be a transportation center and an 85-car parking lot near the old Hershey Laundry, Pries said. If enough businesses move in nearby, phase three would be a second parking garage, he said.

Hershey Entertainment and Resorts employs 120 people at the press building. A Houlihan's restaurant is scheduled to open there next June, said spokeswoman Kathy Burrows.

The transportation center was originally scheduled to be finished next fall, but only one contractor bid on the transportation center project, at a much higher rate than expected, Pries said.

The authority will put out a call for bids again either for just the transportation center, which it calls an intermodal center, or for the center and the garage together.

"We're going to make a determination soon on what the next step will be," Pries said. The authority will ask for bids again "in the very near future," he said.

"When you look at the downtown development, it's a long time coming," Pries said. "Hershey Entertainment owns that whole tract of land. I'm looking forward to seeing what's forthcoming. They've said it will be a combination retail, restaurant, offices, residential, commercial."

The authority could receive bids for the third phase next April and have construction completed about June or July 2007, Pries said.

"We certainly look forward to that intermodal center coming forth. It certainly will be convenient," said James H. Hoffer, Capital Area Transit executive director.

The transportation facility will also be for bus traffic from Capitol Trailways and County of Lebanon Transit Authority, Pries said. There may also be light rail, Pries said.

Pries envisions patients traveling from Harrisburg and elsewhere throughout the region, to visit the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, he said. And it could be useful for medical center employees.

"We know the medical center is going to be adding 2,000 jobs," Pries said.

Last year, the authority received a $3.2 million Federal Transit Administration grant to fund the transportation center. The center is also being supported by a $3 million grant from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations