HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 10:28 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code5 View Post
This makes me hella depressed. Angel's Trumpet is probably one of my favorite places in downtown. That brisket is to die for.

So basically, the Arts District is dying as we know it. Not to be political, but it's too bad the government can't like, ya know, help these small businesses out in a time like this. This sucks big time.
I want small businesses to be helped out but at the same time I want the market to play out. There's going to be a sheer glut of housing downtown and biggus can attest to that like in the late 1980s where apartments were going for fire sale prices. I imagine something similar. I knew people that bought into cheap apartments downtown and got priced out after a year even before this mess.

We're going to have thousands of new residents downtown no matter what, these buildings won't have high vacancies for long. Evertything will continue to evolve but to say anything is dying doesn't match up with what's coming down the line.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 10:33 PM
Skyriser

I wonder why Angel's isn't doing takeout fwiw. There might have been some math in that business that didn't work out even before.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I want small businesses to be helped out but at the same time I want the market to play out. There's going to be a sheer glut of housing downtown and biggus can attest to that like in the late 1980s where apartments were going for fire sale prices. I imagine something similar. I knew people that bought into cheap apartments downtown and got priced out after a year even before this mess.

We're going to have thousands of new residents downtown no matter what, these buildings won't have high vacancies for long. Evertything will continue to evolve but to say anything is dying doesn't match up with what's coming down the line.
This is a good point. Nothing is dying, it's just going to evolve and adapt into something else. I can follow that. I just hope it evolves into something that retains its original charm.

That being said, I just renewed a 13 month lease in downtown. I do still hope the housing market crashes so I can get into something more permanent one of these days in the city. The city does need to build more for purchase condos, but that's a whole other tangent.

Also, this is the Dining Thread, so I'll shut my mouth xD

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 10:48 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
This is a good point. Nothing is dying, it's just going to evolve and adapt into something else. I can follow that. I just hope it evolves into something that retains its original charm.

That being said, I just renewed a 13 month lease in downtown. I do still hope the housing market crashes so I can get into something more permanent one of these days in the city. The city does need to build more for purchase condos, but that's a whole other tangent.

My long standing policy for moderation is to clear up nasty arguments and only keep stuff on topic when there's something to talk about.

The lack of condo development is peculiar but that's a legal issue, every concrete structure going up is eligible for condo conversion if that's what the market wants.

I expect after the market evolves and all this stuff is finally filling in the gaps we'll get a wave of condos, but nothing like condomania which was one of the goofiest and scammy periods in real estate downtown ever.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 10:56 PM
Skyriser

Quote:

And also, what keeps Downtown alive is the adaptive reuses of vintage structures and it's nearly impossible to assemble enough parcels, thriving or a vacant lot, to pencil out redevelopment. We have towers looming over old garbage and that is one of downtown's features.

I actually wouldn't mind if some of the old crap downtown were left vacant for a long minute and redeveloped.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
And also, what keeps Downtown alive is the adaptive reuses of vintage structures and it's nearly impossible to assemble enough parcels, thriving or a vacant lot, to pencil out redevelopment. We have towers looming over old garbage and that is one of downtown's features.

I actually wouldn't mind if some of the old crap downtown were left vacant for a long minute and redeveloped.
I hear what you're saying, but some of that old crap does have its charm.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:01 AM

All this, things are going to change forever crap is ridiculous. We are social beings and we are not going to order take out forever. Working from home, getting off and ordering door dash or even going to chipotle to pick it up, eating and watching boring TV isn’t my idea of a great way to spend each day. we will be spaced out, wear masks at first but it will blow over eventually, hopefully right. Once it’s done it will be business as usual and we will probably want to be out and about more than ever before. I hope all these buildings get finished downtown, we are talking like 2 years before everything is done and COVID should be long gone by then. Some of these restaurants will close but there should be plenty of opportunity for New restaurants and shops. Without that why live in a walkable urban downtown? I also feel like these buildings should give deep discounts for their commercial space, I feel it’s almost like an amenity for residents to say you have a restaurant on the first floor, it should only benefit your residential occupancy to have your retail filled.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:16 AM

I also think our city is in a better position than most. I think our heat might of had something to do with it and the spread in the Navajo Nation and Apache Res has to do with it being cold up there. As long as we don’t have a huge increase in cases opening now is great, it allows places to get a head start to start bringing in revenue NOW. I believe the loans were made to get these businesses through June at least. Opening now gives them a jump start even if they aren’t too busy. We won’t have near the problems New York will of course but also we aren’t Vegas that will hurt super bad as well. California is going to wait forever to reopen so we won’t hurt like they will either. Only downside will be is that it’s our slow summer season coming, which could be a blessing if things begin to boom in the fall. I think our city should start a big campaign for everyone to have a staycation this summer. Stay at a nice resort in Scottsdale or a nice hotel downtown for the weekend. We all could give a boost to our own city to get us all through this time. Most of us prob don’t want to travel or go on a real vacation yet but a nice weekend in a Scottsdale resort would go a long way to help our own Arizona economy!!!!

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 6:43 AM
Skyriser

The heat doesn't curtail the spread of virus, ask Australia.

The problem with reopening is that if there's no standing stay-home Order, people are still afraid to go out, restaurants just cannot survive in that condition. Owners and staff are ineligible for unemployment if they're technically supposed to be looking for work, so it's just a hairy situation all around.

You can't reopen unless you're doing huge amounts of testing and the public health infrastructure to do the contact tracing once people are infected to stop further spread. I don't believe any state in the country has the ability to do that.

I am wrapping up Week 10 of stay-home and signs are pointing to end of July. The Bay Area stayed home on time, LA County started late. These are areas that have strong ties to the Phoenix area so Arizona opening up is irresponsible to its citizens and a weapon to its neighbors.

https://abc7news.com/newsom-guidelin...eoepn/6178845/

This is what California is doing and we're motivated by public health rather than the "eCoNOmY!!!1" I'm not sure if Arizona is doing the same.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:31 AM

Quote:

The problem with reopening is that if there's no standing stay-home Order, people are still afraid to go out, restaurants just cannot survive in that condition. Owners and staff are ineligible for unemployment if they're technically supposed to be looking for work, so it's just a hairy situation all around.

You can't reopen unless you're doing huge amounts of testing and the public health infrastructure to do the contact tracing once people are infected to stop further spread. I don't believe any state in the country has the ability to do that.

I am wrapping up Week 10 of stay-home and signs are pointing to end of July. The Bay Area stayed home on time, LA County started late. These are areas that have strong ties to the Phoenix area so Arizona opening up is irresponsible to its citizens and a weapon to its neighbors.

This is what California is doing and we're motivated by public health rather than the "eCoNOmY!!!1" I'm not sure if Arizona is doing the same.
Yeah, Nah I think it’s going to be fine. California can be overly cautious all
It wants

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:

Well, Australia Only has 6,989 reported cases and a whopping 98 deaths compared to California’s reported 73,218 and 3014 deaths. Yes Australia has a population of about 25 Mil and Cali about 40 mil. So even double Australia’s numbers and it’s still not even close. Australia also had many people come from China in January before they shut down travel. Australia had a whopping 11 new cases yesterday. So continue to stay home and see the homeless rate continue to get out of control. Hopefully this also means no big outbreak in the fall since it is fall now in Australia.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:29 PM

The media also has put the fear in us to not go out and scared to even touch anything and be scared of the next human being. I’m doing all the right things, wearing a mask, washing my hands constantly and not touching my face. Yes, testing is important but what good is a test When my girlfriend has to go right back to the nursing home with cases the next day? Test everyday? Sweden is not doing very bad, they haven’t closed anything, just canceled big events.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Well, Australia Only has 6,989 reported cases and a whopping 98 deaths compared to California’s reported 73,218 and 3014 deaths. Yes Australia has a population of about 25 Mil and Cali about 40 mil. So even double Australia’s numbers and it’s still not even close. Australia also had many people come from China in January before they shut down travel. Australia had a whopping 11 new cases yesterday. So continue to stay home and see the homeless rate continue to get out of control. Hopefully this also means no big outbreak in the fall since it is fall now in Australia.
All you did was prove our own country's crappy response to this pandemic and how if we were to do it right from the beginning, we could be in Australia's position today. But we are not. Australia is easing off social distancing and restrictive measures today because they are seeing success due to these measures and they are doing enough testing and contact tracing. They are not easing off restrictions as cases go up and opening up states early in the process. Suffice all this to say, that heat played no factor in Australia's successful handling of COVID-19.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
The media also has put the fear in us to not go out and scared to even touch anything and be scared of the next human being. I’m doing all the right things, wearing a mask, washing my hands constantly and not touching my face. Yes, testing is important but what good is a test When my girlfriend has to go right back to the nursing home with cases the next day? Test everyday? Sweden is not doing very bad, they haven’t closed anything, just canceled big events.
Well, yes, that's the whole point of testing!!!

So that if your girlfriend (God forbid) somehow does come into contact w/ the virus and tests positive, that she doesn't go back into your home and get you sick or go back to work and treat a patient that has not yet tested positive. I'm not sure what's so hard to comprehend.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Well, yes, that's the whole point of testing!!!

So that if your girlfriend (God forbid) somehow does come into contact w/ the virus and tests positive, that she doesn't go back into your home and get you sick or go back to work and treat a patient that has not yet tested positive. I'm not sure what's so hard to comprehend.
So test every single day is what your saying? Ok. Idk what place on Earth is doing that, but ok.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
All you did was prove our own country's crappy response to this pandemic and how if we were to do it right from the beginning, we could be in Australia's position today. But we are not. Australia is easing off social distancing and restrictive measures today because they are seeing success due to these measures and they are doing enough testing and contact tracing. They are not easing off restrictions as cases go up and opening up states early in the process. Suffice all this to say, that heat played no factor in Australia's successful handling of COVID-19.
I haven’t done a whole lot of research on what Australia has done but what are you saying they did a lot different than the USA? Keep in mind Australia is equivalent to running one state where the USA has 50 states and lots of different opinions to deal with.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
I haven’t done a whole lot of research on what Australia has done but what are you saying they did a lot different than the USA? Keep in mind Australia is equivalent to running one state where the USA has 50 states and lots of different opinions to deal with.
Huh? Australia has 6 states with, I'm sure, many different opinions to deal with as well.

I don't want to derail this Dining Thread discussion w/ this talk. I implore you to do some research on your own and then really figure out if "heat" was the main reason why Australia has been successful or was it really their rapid response to the pandemic.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Huh? Australia has 6 states with, I'm sure, many different opinions to deal with as well.
Because, you know, every foreign country which we are unfamiliar with MUST operate the same way as the USA, just more efficiently, right?

Anyway, I agree with you. We have a thread for this.

Back to dining. Ladera is opening back up today and I cannot wait until dinner time.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:

I don't want to derail this Dining Thread discussion w/ this talk. I implore you to do some research on your own and then really figure out if "heat" was the main reason why Australia has been successful or was it really their rapid response to the pandemic.
Equivalent, 25 million people, so yeah, one big state or a couple smaller ones. According to what I see, their lock downs started March 23, about the same time as us. I remember watching Trevor Noah, a few weeks ago showing a couple that got take out in Australia so their restaurants were open And had a table on the bed of their truck so they could dine outside in front of the restaurant. So I don’t know what they did differently. Even though retail is open now, all the indoor malls are still closed. Yes, New Zealand had a crazy lock down but they also have a very small population of 4.8 million. All I’m saying is heat might be playing a roll and of course density is playing a bigger roll. We can move on from this though, there is no right answer. We haven’t gone through anything like this before. Yes, the virus kills but the economy going to crap will cost lives too, maybe for years and years to come, much younger lives.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:47 PM

Will you stop trolling and move this babble to the coronavirus thread, please?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest