HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
With the Stimulus bill passing last night, I hope most restaurants and bars get the relief they need to stay open! Ideally we get through this in the next month or so, most people get these checks to get out of our homes to spend it at all our great restaurants and bars!!!!!
Are you serious? Turn on your television.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 8:49 PM

Giving $1,200 to people isn't going to keep restaurants afloat, it's going to help people pay some bills or rent. I've had countless tenants lose jobs and it's looking worse by the hour. I'm not (nor should I) getting a dime from the stimulus. Instead I wish they would give me some relief as a property owner who has tenants who can't pay rent. They've accounted for owners of multi-family properties but what about my condos and single family homes? Have to pay those mortgage payments with no rent coming in. Fun.

I hope Mat - as well as all the other small business owners - can weather this storm.

I've been giving a lot of business to Ladera this week, they're offering 20% off on all takeout orders so it's pretty compelling. I do suggest it if anyone is up that way. Great food.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 10:14 PM
Modulator

Agree with Biggus here...$1200 is not going to do much for anyone. Most people that are affected by job loss or cut hours or pay will be using this to pay past due bills or rent.

People such as myself that aren't being affected financially will just make a large purchase that wouldn't have before. For example, I plan on using mine to buy new tires for my SUV before my tires blow, not for going out to eat as I'm already doing that anyway.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Giving $1,200 to people isn't going to keep restaurants afloat, it's going to help people pay some bills or rent. I've had countless tenants lose jobs and it's looking worse by the hour. I'm not (nor should I) getting a dime from the stimulus. Instead I wish they would give me some relief as a property owner who has tenants who can't pay rent. They've accounted for owners of multi-family properties but what about my condos and single family homes? Have to pay those mortgage payments with no rent coming in. Fun.

I hope Mat - as well as all the other small business owners - can weather this storm.

I've been giving a lot of business to Ladera this week, they're offering 20% off on all takeout orders so it's pretty compelling. I do suggest it if anyone is up that way. Great food.
They dont intend on 1200 bucks saving restaurants they need to apply for small business loans, which is a separate part of these bail outs.

the 1200 bucks is meant for basic bills

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballister View Post
Are you serious? Turn on your television.
Sorry, they were saying they were done last night, well, we sit and wait

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post

The loans is what’s going to help businesses stay afloat and to pay and keep their employees. For people that have lost their job or furloughed, the unemployment insurance to keep getting what they would have been paid plus getting a 1200 check will be nice. And allow people to get out and enjoy an evening out when we can. Remember for a young couple that would be 2400 dollars. If your job is fairly safe and for me so far so good but who knows. And because I make a little over 75K will give me and my girlfriend about 1900 is still a decent about to make sure I do my part and have some fun evenings when this is over. Yeah, we go out anyway but I’ll probably be a little more frivolous with the extra money and leave some big tips,lol. For the 80 or 90 percent of people that don’t loose their jobs, they are most likely going to spend it, yeah maybe just tires but it all should help the economy rebound ideally. Maybe a trip that will help the airlines. If it lasts longer than the end of April then I will be real scared. People are already getting tired of staying in, it’s only really been one weekend having to stay in and I’m loosing it,lol. Some people will be scared but I think most will be just willing to take their chances after a month assuming we can. Hopefully this goes through the businesses need it now!!!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 4:18 PM
Skyriser

I am wrapping up Week 3 of mandatory telework and we have been under Shelter In Place for two weeks now. The only people I interact with are the clerks at the coffee shop or grocery store.

It is very likely this Order extends through May. Arizona is not as hard hit as Northern California but they were slower to react and there's a 1-2 week lag time with this.

In other words, prepare to hunker down for a while.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I am wrapping up Week 3 of mandatory telework and we have been under Shelter In Place for two weeks now. The only people I interact with are the clerks at the coffee shop or grocery store.

It is very likely this Order extends through May. Arizona is not as hard hit as Northern California but they were slower to react and there's a 1-2 week lag time with this.

In other words, prepare to hunker down for a while.
And, if you can, please give business to your favorite food purveyors. Most of the restaurants I'm buying from are desperate right now (and they were strong before this all hit).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
And, if you can, please give business to your favorite food purveyors. Most of the restaurants I'm buying from are desperate right now (and they were strong before this all hit).
100% this.

Stopped by AZ Wilderness DTPHX on Sunday to pick-up food and some beers and it's just so eerie and sad seeing it so empty. Any typical Sunday, the entire biergarten would be full of life and patrons

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
100% this.

Stopped by AZ Wilderness DTPHX on Sunday to pick-up food and some beers and it's just so eerie and sad seeing it so empty. Any typical Sunday, the entire biergarten would be full of life and patrons

Yeah, the whole of Roosevelt Row is depressing. I wonder if First Friday is going to be cancelled. The Bf and I spent about 170 bucks (call us crazy, we know) at The Theodore and grabbed lunch at Carly's Friday and Saturday. I wish Angel's Trumpet had takeout! We're doing our best to support the local business we love too. I hate seeing everything in downtown dead and closed.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 2:58 AM

So I’m very curious about our precious restaurants and bars during this time. Anyone have info on which businesses should be ok with the loans coming their way and which might still not make it? Cornish Pasty is one of my favorite restaurant/bars downtown. I looked them up and it says permanently closed although their other locations say open. Anyone have any info on this?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:33 AM

Quote:
So I’m very curious about our precious restaurants and bars during this time. Anyone have info on which businesses should be ok with the loans coming their way and which might still not make it? Cornish Pasty is one of my favorite restaurant/bars downtown. I looked them up and it says permanently closed although their other locations say open. Anyone have any info on this?
Cornish Pasty is doing curbside and ordering out, but who knows. Here is the list of restaurants doing "Takeout Week."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:56 AM

2 bars on 5th St have setup GoFundMe pages, the Dvina Modern Fare and Lost Leaf. The latter should have no problem finding support from the community, after 14 years of operations. Similarly, Filmbar setup a gift card system and was able to pay their dues via community contributions. Residents are taking note of the struggles their favorite small businesses are facing and finding many ways to support them.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:08 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Cornish Pasty is doing curbside and ordering out, but who knows. Here is the list of restaurants doing "Takeout Week."
CPC is doing takeout/delivery at certain locations but closed at others. Last time I checked, the two most urban locations -- downtown Phoenix and Mill Ave in Tempe -- were closed. The original at University & Hardy in Tempe is operating, though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:52 PM

Yeah, I called one of the Corish Pasty last night and asked about the downtown location saying permanently closed and they said it’s not necessary permanently closed while they try to stay afloat with the other take out locations. The fact that everyone downtown is working from home is really hurting the downtown restaurants and bars. Doing just take out for lunch wouldn’t have been as bad if people were still working downtown.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:53 PM

many restaurants are going to be permanently closed after this, I fear. It's heartbreaking.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
2 bars on 5th St have setup GoFundMe pages, the Dvina Modern Fare and Lost Leaf. The latter should have no problem finding support from the community, after 14 years of operations. Similarly, Filmbar setup a gift card system and was able to pay their dues via community contributions. Residents are taking note of the struggles their favorite small businesses are facing and finding many ways to support them.
Filmbar has a link on their website that allows you to stream movies with a portion of proceeds going to them.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 6:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Yeah, I called one of the Corish Pasty last night and asked about the downtown location saying permanently closed and they said it’s not necessary permanently closed while they try to stay afloat with the other take out locations. The fact that everyone downtown is working from home is really hurting the downtown restaurants and bars. Doing just take out for lunch wouldn’t have been as bad if people were still working downtown.
The downtown Phoenix location of CPC has such a weird history to begin with. It was in coming soon status for about five years. From 2013 until 2018, contractors would do a little work here and there and then the property would go untouched for months. It was astonishing to think that rent was being paid on that property for so long without generating any revenue. I mention that only with the hope that maybe with that precedent the downtown CPC can be dormant for as long as needed and then resurrected when conditions warrant.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 11:47 PM

I happened to call cornish the day the downtown spot closed, They only had about 10 pasties left and once they sold them they said theyd be closing that location for the durration.

Not sure what authority the guy I had on the phone had but he told me that the downtown location is so big and dependent on liqour sales that it doesnt make sense to keep it open when people are going to bars.

Cornish is a pretty big org I think theyll have the ability to reopen after this, Im more worried about some of the smaller bars that dont have popular take out options like cornish

Winning Pig (all of them) comes to mind.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 12:29 AM

A surprise to be sure but a welcome one, two new liquor licenses were applied for recently in downtown. One for 909 N 5th St, in one of the newly renovated homes for a venue called, Tap That Downtown. Another at 188 E Jefferson, site plan looks to be the corner of Jefferson/2nd St of the Block 23 project, called 125 Lounge.

Interesting (and sensible) for places that haven't opened to still be going through the motions, anticipating that by the time they open, the quarantine will be lifted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest