HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
The platform can be of infinite length, but what matters is where the stops are. Currently, there are no stops on the south side of the platform, around the far end of the loop. My guess is that there never will be, especially considering the (reasonable) pushback on the current walking distances. My general reference is to the constant complaint on twitter that there are "unused stops" at Hurdman, as two of the current stops have two shelters while others have one. These stops have two shelters for a reason - because they're busier. I doubt anyone really cares that there's some unused tactile paving around the far end when they complain about walking distance, as no buses stop there.

Building some extra room for future expansion isn't a bad idea. About 240m of platform is currrently in use, though you can argue that about 20m of that is useless because of the tight corner it's on. Bus operations at Hurdman are very different now that it's a terminal station for all routes, with significantly increased dwell times as a result. Buses wait longer, either holding up other buses or requiring them to leave more space to turn out into the through lane.

Once again, the total length of platform doesn't matter, only the length in use. We also can't compare without considering the number of vehicles passing though and their dwell time. While Blair and Tunney's are temporary, of the three, Hurdman is actually the only one where everyone must transfer as there are no through routes. At Blair, only one stop on the mall side sees regular use, the rest are all within the FPZ. This causes significant congestion both on the platform and the roadway at Blair, and while they have made steps to fix it, it is not optimal and the platforms are still an operational challenge. After changes were made but prior to COVID, buses still often had to wait for others to leave to pull up to the stop, blocking the roadway and causing delay. This is generally not an issue at Hurdman.

The issues at Tunney's were mostly to do with pedestrian flow, and were solved by taking an additional lane on the far side of the loop to create more platform space.

FPZs are consistently rated highly by passengers. They have a number of benefits, including nto having to worry about your transfer expiring before the bus arrives. Most importantly though is the transfer to train - the crush of people leaving the bus can move quickly onto the platform, without requiring a wall of faregates to process the crowd. I agree that there are situations where other options should be considered, such as Carling where the 85 will be forced to detour into the station, but that doesn't mean that the FPZ isn't useful for buses which start or end there. Blair and Hurdman have no through routes which would benefit from avoiding the bus loop, and while Tunney's might that loop is also smaller and will be quicker than the one at LF. Tunney's will continue to have an FPZ, though the stops along the north side of the loop will likely be removed and the parking lane returned to Yarrow Driveway. St. Laurent doesn't have an FPZ, but that is more a limitation of it's existing design.

The highway was temporarily widened to permit construction, so the lanes will shift back in towards the median and the widening will be removed leaving a 2+2 cross-section past Montreal Road. As it was fully re-built, the Montreal Road overpass is built to accommodate a future additional lane though.

They’re going to remove the lanes, rather than just put up barriers? That’s completely asanine and a complete waste of future dollars

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
They’re going to remove the lanes, rather than just put up barriers? That’s completely asanine and a complete waste of future dollars
The existing road has little shoulder on the outside where the existing bus lanes are, and currently has next to no shoulder on the inside due to construction. They widened some parts temporarily by a meter or two to facilitate construction, but the key word is temporarily - they didn't move ditches or other infrastructure as they would in a proper widening.

With the construction barriers removed and lanes shifted back to the median, there will be room for a proper shoulder on both sides of the road, even with the temporary widening removed.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
The platform can be of infinite length, but what matters is where the stops are. Currently, there are no stops on the south side of the platform, around the far end of the loop. My guess is that there never will be, especially considering the (reasonable) pushback on the current walking distances. My general reference is to the constant complaint on twitter that there are "unused stops" at Hurdman, as two of the current stops have two shelters while others have one. These stops have two shelters for a reason - because they're busier. I doubt anyone really cares that there's some unused tactile paving around the far end when they complain about walking distance, as no buses stop there.

Building some extra room for future expansion isn't a bad idea. About 240m of platform is currrently in use, though you can argue that about 20m of that is useless because of the tight corner it's on. Bus operations at Hurdman are very different now that it's a terminal station for all routes, with significantly increased dwell times as a result. Buses wait longer, either holding up other buses or requiring them to leave more space to turn out into the through lane.

Once again, the total length of platform doesn't matter, only the length in use. We also can't compare without considering the number of vehicles passing though and their dwell time. While Blair and Tunney's are temporary, of the three, Hurdman is actually the only one where everyone must transfer as there are no through routes. At Blair, only one stop on the mall side sees regular use, the rest are all within the FPZ. This causes significant congestion both on the platform and the roadway at Blair, and while they have made steps to fix it, it is not optimal and the platforms are still an operational challenge. After changes were made but prior to COVID, buses still often had to wait for others to leave to pull up to the stop, blocking the roadway and causing delay. This is generally not an issue at Hurdman.

The issues at Tunney's were mostly to do with pedestrian flow, and were solved by taking an additional lane on the far side of the loop to create more platform space.

FPZs are consistently rated highly by passengers. They have a number of benefits, including nto having to worry about your transfer expiring before the bus arrives. Most importantly though is the transfer to train - the crush of people leaving the bus can move quickly onto the platform, without requiring a wall of faregates to process the crowd. I agree that there are situations where other options should be considered, such as Carling where the 85 will be forced to detour into the station, but that doesn't mean that the FPZ isn't useful for buses which start or end there. Blair and Hurdman have no through routes which would benefit from avoiding the bus loop, and while Tunney's might that loop is also smaller and will be quicker than the one at LF. Tunney's will continue to have an FPZ, though the stops along the north side of the loop will likely be removed and the parking lane returned to Yarrow Driveway. St. Laurent doesn't have an FPZ, but that is more a limitation of it's existing design.
With all due respect, I am not following your logic. The original issue, brought up by hwy418, was that OC Transpo’s ‘planners’ set forth some requirements for the Confederation Line that were, at best, questionable. The example used was the NEED for 15 platforms to be available at the new Hurdman Station.

(I don’t know if that was a hard requirement, or not, but that was the example put forth. Despite the dwindling number of bus routes – though not necessarily the total number of buses – that stopped at Hurdman, I can believe that OC Transpo simply stated that they needed to have the same capacity for stops as they had with the old island platform.
For reference, here is the number of bus routes that stopped at Hurdman station in selected years:
Sep. 2010 (pre ‘Optimization’): 80 routes – 46 of which terminate at Hurdman
Sep. 2011 (post ‘Optimization’): 66
Sep. 2017 (pre Confed. Line): 27 – many buses heading to Orleans consolidated
Sep. 2022 (post CoViD-19 drop): 23 routes – 23 of which terminate here
Despite all of the Central Transitway buses and some of the Express/Connexion buses being replaced by the Confederation Line, OC Transpo, apparently, still thought that they needed the same platform capacity as when they had 80 different bus routes stopping at Hurdman.)

Based on that example, hwy418, correctly in my opinion, stated that Hurdman station was specified to be overly huge and thus became inadequate [as far as customer movements and costs are concerned]. The bracketed portion is my interpretation of hwy418’s remark, added for clarity.

To that, you posed your curious question about how something can be both overly huge and inadequate.

Now your defense of the stated 15 platform requirement seems to have changed. You now declare that it doesn’t matter how great the platform length is (or was specified that it must be) because only a portion of it is being used. As if the design and construction costs were limited to only the portion of the total that we are currently using. Specifying a requirement that is overly huge does have consequences that do matter to many; although, apparently, it should not in your view.

As for your comment that one of the reasons that FPZs are popular is because people don’t have to stress about their Transfer expiring before their bus finally shows up; I think that speaks volumes about the usability of the current system.

Proper time allotment for Transfers (based on our very large city footprint), more direct bus routing between districts (yes, by-passing the need to go out of the way to the train and then back), and, most importantly, RELIABLY FREQUENT bus arrivals, would go a long way to correcting the problems that, as you point out, FPZs can masks. If I miss the first part of a meeting because I wind up waiting an extra 40 minutes because the bus I need to transfer to didn’t show up, it is small consolation that my expired transfer was irrelevant. In fact, if I was forced to pay another fare, I would be more likely to complain long and loud about the transit system to everyone (including the media) who would listen. Maybe OC Transpo (and some passengers) like FPZs because they put a ‘Band-Aid’ on problems that really should have been corrected years ago.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 7:43 PM

Quote:
The existing road has little shoulder on the outside where the existing bus lanes are, and currently has next to no shoulder on the inside due to construction. They widened some parts temporarily by a meter or two to facilitate construction, but the key word is temporarily - they didn't move ditches or other infrastructure as they would in a proper widening.

With the construction barriers removed and lanes shifted back to the median, there will be room for a proper shoulder on both sides of the road, even with the temporary widening removed.
I call that poor planning and shortsighted! It's stuff like this that makes me angry as a taxpayer in this city!

The LRT folks knew ahead of time that the vehicles and busses would be diverted to the outside shoulders for more than one construction season, so that means the widened highway platforms ought to have been designed robustly (even if temporary).

So once again, let's find a way to not offend anyone by going back to 2 lanes per direction after LRT is running. What's wrong with keeping 3 lanes per direction? What will happen if a third crossing ever gets built at Lower Duck Island?

I also noticed they cheeped out on drainage in the median by sloping all lanes and shoulders towards the outside instead of using a customary normal crown on tangent sections. City of Ottawa = CHEAP. Pretty clear they don't know how to build, manage, or maintain a closed access highway.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 1:07 PM

I'm fine with this. If we're going to invest billions in rail, investing millions on increasing road capacity at the same time is counter-productive.

In my experience living in Orleans for 5 years (moved to Gloucester a few months ago), traffic isn't that bad any compared to the west end (where I lived for 10 years).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm fine with this. If we're going to invest billions in rail, investing millions on increasing road capacity at the same time is counter-productive.

In my experience living in Orleans for 5 years (moved to Gloucester a few months ago), traffic isn't that bad any compared to the west end (where I lived for 10 years).
My experience travelling in and out of Orleans on the highway with two lanes tends to be quite positive too, usually if there are problems they seem to develop close to the split where the 174 meets the 417. Most times of day traffic moves well, even if there seem to be a lot of cars and I suspect the Eastern O-Train extension combined with the number of people working from home 3 or so days a week will help take pressure off.

I also feel that return to the office (at least for the federal government) is prioritizing getting people in for a few days while leaving things more flexible than they used to be in terms of schedule. It is anecdotal but I have definitely seen a lot of my colleagues make a conscious effort to travel to and from the office at off peak times in terms of transit and rush hour.

If that flexibility remains in the long term, it may help smooth out the peaks of 174 use.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
I call that poor planning and shortsighted! It's stuff like this that makes me angry as a taxpayer in this city!

The LRT folks knew ahead of time that the vehicles and busses would be diverted to the outside shoulders for more than one construction season, so that means the widened highway platforms ought to have been designed robustly (even if temporary).

So once again, let's find a way to not offend anyone by going back to 2 lanes per direction after LRT is running. What's wrong with keeping 3 lanes per direction? What will happen if a third crossing ever gets built at Lower Duck Island?
I seem to remember that the city wanted to widen the 174 to 6 lanes as part of Stage 2, but the province refused to help fund it.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I seem to remember that the city wanted to widen the 174 to 6 lanes as part of Stage 2, but the province refused to help fund it.
That. I'm sure the Province weren't thinking about protecting that rail investment when they made that decision. Not doubt it was more of a "you're not in the GTA? Why should we give you any more money?" type decision. In any case, I'm glad they came to that decision, whatever their path to it was.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That. I'm sure the Province weren't thinking about protecting that rail investment when they made that decision. Not doubt it was more of a "you're not in the GTA? Why should we give you any more money?" type decision. In any case, I'm glad they came to that decision, whatever their path to it was.
I do tend to agree. Having said that, I think having HOV lanes on the 174 (which could also be used by regional buses) wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
With all due respect, I am not following your logic. The original issue, brought up by hwy418, was that OC Transpo’s ‘planners’ set forth some requirements for the Confederation Line that were, at best, questionable. The example used was the NEED for 15 platforms to be available at the new Hurdman Station.

(I don’t know if that was a hard requirement, or not, but that was the example put forth. Despite the dwindling number of bus routes – though not necessarily the total number of buses – that stopped at Hurdman, I can believe that OC Transpo simply stated that they needed to have the same capacity for stops as they had with the old island platform.
For reference, here is the number of bus routes that stopped at Hurdman station in selected years:
Sep. 2010 (pre ‘Optimization’): 80 routes – 46 of which terminate at Hurdman
Sep. 2011 (post ‘Optimization’): 66
Sep. 2017 (pre Confed. Line): 27 – many buses heading to Orleans consolidated
Sep. 2022 (post CoViD-19 drop): 23 routes – 23 of which terminate here
Despite all of the Central Transitway buses and some of the Express/Connexion buses being replaced by the Confederation Line, OC Transpo, apparently, still thought that they needed the same platform capacity as when they had 80 different bus routes stopping at Hurdman.)

Based on that example, hwy418, correctly in my opinion, stated that Hurdman station was specified to be overly huge and thus became inadequate [as far as customer movements and costs are concerned]. The bracketed portion is my interpretation of hwy418’s remark, added for clarity.
You acknowledge the shortcoming in your logic here. We cannot compare based on number of routes, as the frequency of each route varies. We can't even compare based on number of trips, because the operations of a station where all routes terminate at a rail transfer are vastly different compared to one where the majority of routes pass through and the volume of transfers is lower. The platform space required to allow multiple vehicles to load at the originating point is significant, as most buses will sit at the platform for 1-2 minutes while they load and await their time point, much longer than if they were passing through. Bus operators are also more likely to leave space between vehicles in these situations, so they can pull out even if the bus ahead stays on the platform.

Keep in mind that these decisions were being made almost a decade before the line opened, and needed to consider 25+ years into the future from there. At the same time, Ottawa had no experience with how these sort of situations would work, no knowledge to build off of. In the end, the design of Hurdman is ridiculous, but the bus station length is not unreasonable - the entire bus platform was being used well at peak times prior to the pandemic.

Quote:
To that, you posed your curious question about how something can be both overly huge and inadequate.

Now your defense of the stated 15 platform requirement seems to have changed. You now declare that it doesn’t matter how great the platform length is (or was specified that it must be) because only a portion of it is being used. As if the design and construction costs were limited to only the portion of the total that we are currently using. Specifying a requirement that is overly huge does have consequences that do matter to many; although, apparently, it should not in your view.
It's a lot cheaper to build some extra platform when the crews are already there and other levels of government are sharing the cost than it is to come back and add it later. We constantly criticize Ottawa for value engineering and cutting everything to the bare minimum, why does that viewpoint change in this particular situation?

Quote:
As for your comment that one of the reasons that FPZs are popular is because people don’t have to stress about their Transfer expiring before their bus finally shows up; I think that speaks volumes about the usability of the current system.

Proper time allotment for Transfers (based on our very large city footprint), more direct bus routing between districts (yes, by-passing the need to go out of the way to the train and then back), and, most importantly, RELIABLY FREQUENT bus arrivals, would go a long way to correcting the problems that, as you point out, FPZs can masks. If I miss the first part of a meeting because I wind up waiting an extra 40 minutes because the bus I need to transfer to didn’t show up, it is small consolation that my expired transfer was irrelevant. In fact, if I was forced to pay another fare, I would be more likely to complain long and loud about the transit system to everyone (including the media) who would listen. Maybe OC Transpo (and some passengers) like FPZs because they put a ‘Band-Aid’ on problems that really should have been corrected years ago.
Transfer time is only small factor, but it's a factor in even the best run system as customers maximize their system utilization. The bigger issue is the ease of transfer. Hurdman, Tunney's and Blair would need dozens of fare gates to handle AM peak crowds, and it would create a significant bottleneck. There are always factors that need to be balanced, and the 85 at Lincoln Fields is a great example - just like the 85 at Pimisi today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post

I also noticed they cheeped out on drainage in the median by sloping all lanes and shoulders towards the outside instead of using a customary normal crown on tangent sections. City of Ottawa = CHEAP. Pretty clear they don't know how to build, manage, or maintain a closed access highway.
You can build something robustly and temporarily. Considering that the widening hasn't caused any issues since it was done in 2019, it certainly seems like it was built well enough for its intended purpose. That doesn't mean it will last forever though, as some elements like ditch grading and shoulders may not be built to ideal specification for long-term use. The bigger issue on 174 is the bridges - the highway is tightest under the cross-streets, where there are only two lanes. Bridges would have to be re-built to permit a 3 lane configuration, as the current bus lane doesn't continue at interchanges. This would be a significant cost.

Your comment on drainage seems uninformed. This highway isn't being designed on a napkin by someone at City Hall, it's been done by massive consulting engineering firms that certainly have seen a highway before. They had the choice of leaving the road crowned as it was and installing an expensive storm drain down the median which would require ongoing maintenance, or re-profiling the road so the water runs into the existing ditch. Considering what we now know about trains and salt spray, this certainly seems like a no-brainer. Having 2+ lanes drain in the same direction isn't an issue - it's the same as the 4 lane sections of the 417 downtown. There is a difference between being cheap and being responsible with the budget.

Quote:
There was certainly good debate on this.

Quote:
I do tend to agree. Having said that, I think having HOV lanes on the 174 (which could also be used by regional buses) wouldn't be a bad thing.
Further to my comment above about bridges limiting the width of the highway, the new bridges at Montreal Road are built to accommodate an extra lane be it HOV or otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 7:23 PM

Quote:
It's a lot cheaper to build some extra platform when the crews are already there and other levels of government are sharing the cost than it is to come back and add it later. We constantly criticize Ottawa for value engineering and cutting everything to the bare minimum, why does that viewpoint change in this particular situation?
Priorities. Why invest so much in a giant loop at Hurdman for future considerations, but not invest in amenities that passengers would enjoy now? Like a roof structure down the platform, or a heated waiting area in the concourse with benches and next bus arrival screens?

The City is terrible at properly "planning for the future". They have this giant loop at Hurdman, but built themselves into a corner at Bayview, limiting the potential to either extend to Gatineau or interline or even adding vertical circulation for the east platform without cutting-off the Trillium pathway.

...Seems the biggest issue is terrible station configurations more than prioritizing.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:21 PM

East end observations over the last few days (sorry, no photos):

1) Lots of ground level work happening at Montreal station. Exterior facades are taking shape.

2) Jeanne D'Arc station is very ahead in progress, almost more so than some of the Trillium Line stations. Glass windows and exterior cladding currently being installed in most areas.

3) A few support beams for the catenary have recently been installed near Jeanne D'Arc station.

4) Work on Convent Glen station now really speeding up. Lots of steel work has been done recently and they are getting ready for more concrete pours to bring the station up to the overpass.

5) Second half of the pedestrian bridge at Place D'Orleans now installed. Steel work is mostly completed at Place D'Orleans station.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:57 PM

We used to joke that east may open before south, but it's starting to look more and more like a possibility. Very impressed with EWC.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:36 PM

Another thing I've noticed beyond progress on the stations, including glass going in, is that the track appears to be almost entirely laid in the east. What I think is the last section from Blair to the flyover is being done right now. I also saw machines aligning/grinding the track between Montreal and Jeanne D'Arc this morning (please excuse my ignorance, at least I think that's what they're doing). The south definitely does not appear to be this far along from what I can tell, although I only regularly see the section from Bayview to Carleton.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:43 PM
Busy Beaver

My thought is that they’re finishing the track so that they can button up the highway before the winter. Note they haven’t put any of the catenary or the supporting poles, so while it may seem more advanced than the Trillium line, they can’t do any track testing for a good while still.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 1:48 PM

I agree, I would now put money on the East opening before the South.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
My thought is that they’re finishing the track so that they can button up the highway before the winter. Note they haven’t put any of the catenary or the supporting poles, so while it may seem more advanced than the Trillium line, they can’t do any track testing for a good while still.
Support poles are going up now between Jeanne d'Arc and Montreal. From Stage 2 Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/stage2etape2/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:18 PM

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:12 PM

Second section of the PdO Bridge has been installed since.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:25 PM

Rail Fans Canada Snapshop Updates:

Jeanne d'Arc, September 10, 2022.

https://otrain.railfans.ca/snapshot-...tember-10-2022

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation