HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 3:53 PM

update photo's

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:56 AM

Princess Auto, and Target photo update from today.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 7:57 PM

new store

New store opening in the old EFADS (Everything for a dollar store) in the Smart Centers plaza ( next to Pizza Delight)
http://www.shopjustice.com/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 10:13 PM

Pro Oil Change Progress

Pro Oil Change on Rothesay Avenue has its foundations in place. Shouldn't be long before its open. Wonder when the retail section will be built?

Pro Oil Change Foundation Work by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Pro Oil change Rendering by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr
Pro Oil Construction by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Last edited by Wolkenkratzerliebhab; Aug 8, 2013 at 3:14 AM. Reason: An additional update photo of mine

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 3:26 PM

Bayside Drive should a very busy street once they get the new highway exit opened.
MacDonald's will be opening a new location on Bayside.
Just think with all the new improvements at the refinery and Canaport, there will be 1000s of folks driving that street every day!
Watch for some activity at the Dry Dock too! Can't say to much......
Also new Tim Horton's being built by the airport!
Saint John is buzzing again! Good news!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Watch for some activity at the Dry Dock too! Can't say to much......
There was movement at the DryDock a few months back and it seems pretty obvious what it is linked with.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:33 PM

From CBC News:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...-shopping.html

Quote:
Fredericton retailers can set Sunday hours, council rules.

Stores currently only allowed to open between noon and 5 p.m.

Retailers in Fredericton can now set their own hours on Sundays.

City council passed a bylaw change on Monday night, which will allow store owners to decide when they will open and close.

Under the previous rules, they were limited to between noon and 5 p.m.

The change follows a request by the Retail Council of Canada in February.

One exception remains, however. Stores are not allowed to open at all on Easter Sunday.

Most New Brunswick municipalities limit potential Sunday openings from noon until 5 p.m.

Retailers in Fredericton have called on the city to update its Sunday shopping bylaw in the past.

Bathurst council scrapped its Sunday shopping bylaw in May and also gave stores the right to open when they want on Sundays.
This is a major move by Fredericton, that WILL have effects in the rest of the province, primarily in the other 2 large N.B. cities of Saint John and Moncton.

Saint John WILL lose retail dollars if the city doesn't, sorry to say, match Fredericton's moves.

Change is coming to Saint John retail. And I see no turning back for it.

It's really hard not to notice the writing on this kind of wall here.

And I see it happening sooner, rather than later.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:57 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised SJ hasn't done this long ago. Aren't the Cruise ships already complaining about closed shops on Sundays? Or does that area have a Sunday Shopping Exemption already?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:50 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised SJ hasn't done this long ago. Aren't the Cruise ships already complaining about closed shops on Sundays? Or does that area have a Sunday Shopping Exemption already?
The real crime Uptown is everything closing by 6PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The real crime Uptown is everything closing by 6PM.
Amen.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2013, 8:51 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Some speculation fodder for you all. This site plan for East Point was included in this month's PAC agenda in relation to an application to erect some additional freestanding signs. It differs somewhat from the older site plan on their website.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 10:32 PM

http://www.news889.com/2013/08/22/wa...side-tomorrow/

Quote:

SAINT JOHN, N.B. – Walmart enthusiasts – prepare yourselves!

The first-ever Walmart Supercentre in New Brunswick will open it’s doors on the east side tomorrow.

The store is one of 37 Supercentre projects planned for Canada.

The remodelled version of the east-side Walmart will include a grocery section.

The expansion will create 20 new jobs.
http://country94news.blogspot.ca/201...ter-in-nb.html

Quote:
The first-ever Walmart Supercentre in New Brunswick is going to have its grand opening ceremony tomorrow at the 450 Westmorland Road location.

The 129,000 square foot store has been remodeled to include a new fresh grocery section. There are also more dry, fresh and frozen offerings. The store is one of 37 Supercentre projects planned across Canada.

The expansion will create 20 new jobs --and so far, nearly 450 people have applied. The store will be having Grand Opening Block Party on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. with face-painting, live music, refreshments and samples.
With this news being dropped, I'm kind of hoping some people here will get some pictures of this store's expanded format tomorrow. As I'm not in Saint John now, I'd like to see what it looks like.

=)

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
http://www.news889.com/2013/08/22/wa...side-tomorrow/

http://country94news.blogspot.ca/201...ter-in-nb.html

With this news being dropped, I'm kind of hoping some people here will get some pictures of this store's expanded format tomorrow. As I'm not in Saint John now, I'd like to see what it looks like.

=)

It still looks like hell. All they really did was put lipstick on a pig. It looks like they took the most cheapest/half-assed way possible to convert this to a Supercentre. I was there today, and snapped this picture while walking in.

My Photo.

Was it so difficult to put some effort into the façade, instead of just slapping a coat of paint on the front? There's no reason why it couldn't have looked like this;

Photo from Wikipedia

But hey - Take the cheapest way possible. Target it is for this family - even if it does cost more. (Sorry for the massive size of the second picture.)

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 1:43 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

GET HYPED

Source

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
It still looks like hell. All they really did was put lipstick on a pig. It looks like they took the most cheapest/half-assed way possible to convert this to a Supercentre. I was there today, and snapped this picture while walking in.

Was it so difficult to put some effort into the façade, instead of just slapping a coat of paint on the front? There's no reason why it couldn't have looked like this;

But hey - Take the cheapest way possible. Target it is for this family - even if it does cost more. (Sorry for the massive size of the second picture.)
Cheap crap inside. Cheap crap outside. Seems like the perfect facade to me.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 2:21 AM
Unregistered Loser

I've never been a Walmart fan, mainly due to their location. I absolutely hate driving from store to store to shop, which is why Target will be in better place to get my business, being connected to the mall. I sometimes go to the Freddy Walmart, simply because it is connected to Regent Mall.

I even have a Costco membership, but avoid using it very much because I don't want to park just to go to one store.

Its much easier to comparison shop that way, and most of the time I get a better price elsewhere than I would have at Walmart or Costco; sometimes even at Sears.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I've never been a Walmart fan, mainly due to their location. I absolutely hate driving from store to store to shop, which is why Target will be in better place to get my business, being connected to the mall. I sometimes go to the Freddy Walmart, simply because it is connected to Regent Mall.

I even have a Costco membership, but avoid using it very much because I don't want to park just to go to one store.

Its much easier to comparison shop that way, and most of the time I get a better price elsewhere than I would have at Walmart or Costco; sometimes even at Sears.
It's odd you'd mention Sears, because...

http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/0...llo-macys.html

Quote:
GOODBYE SEARS CANADA, HELLO MACY'S?

We think Sears Canada's days are numbered, and we think Sears might be preparing to sell off more store leases and/or sell the entire company to another retailer. We'll explain how this could pave the way for more Canadian Nordstrom stores, as well as the entry of Macy's/Bloomingdale's into the Canadian market.

Sears Canada has been struggling and has already laid off a substantial number of employees. A couple of days ago, it let go 245 Canadian employees and announced that it was moving some of its IT, finance and payroll operations to India and the Philippines. We noticed that this announcement didn't come as part of a "broader strategy" for Sears. In fact, it's just more cost cutting. And this cost cutting, in our opinion, looks more like a retailer trying to make itself attractive for a takeover than a retailer trying to turn itself around.

If Sears were to sell out, we think it could be done in two ways. First, it could sell off a few more of its primely located stores, including locations at the Toronto Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens, Polo Park in Winnipeg, West Edmonton Mall, and a few others. This could pave the way for more Canadian Nordstrom stores. Second, we know that Macy's has been considering the Canadian market for a while and is already considering bringing Bloomingdale's to Canada. Buying Sears Canada could be a strategic move for Macy's, as it could gain some prime retail space that would be impossible to build completely from scratch. We'll reveal more on Macy's/Bloomingdale's possible arrival to Canada soon.

Readers may remember that it was originally Sears Canada's selling back some leases that led to Nordstrom's coming to Canada. Sears also recently sold back three prime Toronto area store leases, possibly opening the door for La Maison Simons in Toronto.

Several insiders tell us that morale at Sears Canada is low, both in its offices as well as its stores. We encourage everyone working at Sears Canada to hang in there, as there may be new positions coming available at some new, exciting retailers.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 2:09 AM

Sears in Saint John has removed their electronic department. The employees tell me they are don't understand why? The so-called renovations look more like a store that is preparing to close... it's depressing!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
GET HYPED

Source

Princess Auto Sign by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Princess Auto by I'm Me, Who are You?, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 12:18 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
There's one store I'll def drive to and park just to go inside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces