HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 1:21 PM

Looks great, ABQ--hope things move forward smoothly on this project.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 2:39 PM

looks great, vastly better than Tucson's never-gonna-happen Rio Nuevo plans. What the f*%k is wrong with Tucson????

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
looks great, vastly better than Tucson's never-gonna-happen Rio Nuevo plans. What the f*%k is wrong with Tucson????
The same developers are proposing the Tucson Arena Plan, hopefully the folks there will get behind their proposal as well. I don't know why people in Tucson, El Paso, and Albuquerque fight projects such as these, but hopefully things are changing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 3:07 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

That is a very nice plan. I spent two days and a night in Abq in June for a job interview. It really was a nice downtown with a ton of potential. Is there a plan to bring in a NBADL team in to town or anything? Or is the arena planned for mostly concerts and conventions.

I hope it happens that would be great for ABQ

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 6:07 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Could someone please post the renderings on here? My acrobat reader program is being stupid and won't load it.
If one of you would it would be awesome

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
That is a very nice plan. I spent two days and a night in Abq in June for a job interview. It really was a nice downtown with a ton of potential. Is there a plan to bring in a NBADL team in to town or anything? Or is the arena planned for mostly concerts and conventions.

I hope it happens that would be great for ABQ
Yes, the Albuquerque Thunderbirds of the NBADL will move to the arena from their current site at the fairgrounds.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:01 AM

Here's those images, tangled_SLC I just wanted to add, most people following this are hoping that the arena size will increase once the studies are completed. Right now the goal is 12,000 seats. I'd also like to see some office space above that retail and retail below the condos.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:15 AM

ABQ already has an NBADL team. The thunderbirds, right? They were a Jazz affiliate for a while, before Boise, and then Orem.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 6:16 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Thanks for posting those pics ABQturkey! I think that's an awesome project for ABQ! Congrats! Is it a new tallest as well?

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Thanks for posting those pics ABQturkey! I think that's an awesome project for ABQ! Congrats! Is it a new tallest as well?
It will become ABQ's tallest.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 5:59 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I'm much more interested in the train station than the arena. Can someone show me more info? What are they doing there, exactly?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 9:00 PM

Cirrus, they haven't really provided any detailed information as of yet. The Alvarado Transportation Center already exists as the hub of the region's transit system (Greyhound, Amtrack, faux-BRT, and city buses). This lies one block to the south of the proposed retail area (the red roofed building on the bottom-left in the first rendering). I have heard mention of stopping the trains at the arena for events but I have not heard anything about how they intend to coordinate the flow of pedestrian traffic, etc.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:22 PM
BANNED

what is the status on this project?

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:39 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQturkey View Post
Right now the goal is 12,000 seats. I'd also like to see some office space above that retail and retail below the condos.
You guys ought to up it to 18K+ and try to steal the Coyotes from us! I think the NHL, if they want to be in the sunbelt should look at more markets like Tucson, ABQ, et cetera since they'd be the only game in town. Its a strategy the NBA has used for years* to much success, the NHL is becoming a niche sport and they ought to be realistic. Teams like Columbus and San Jose have found rabid fan bases because those towns are used to being overlooked and could really embrace those teams as their own.

*The NBA is the only game in town in Sacramento, Portland, OKC, Orlando, Memphis, Utah, San Antonio, and they were the only team in Phx for years when Phx was much smaller.

EDIT: Also Ive always found going to ABQ fascinating. In my imagination its like time traveling to what Phoenix must've been like in the late 60s/early 70s when my Mom grew up, a mid sized but rapidly growing desert outpost. Its a very nice place

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
You guys ought to up it to 18K+ and try to steal the Coyotes from us! I think the NHL, if they want to be in the sunbelt should look at more markets like Tucson, ABQ, et cetera since they'd be the only game in town. Its a strategy the NBA has used for years* to much success, the NHL is becoming a niche sport and they ought to be realistic. Teams like Columbus and San Jose have found rabid fan bases because those towns are used to being overlooked and could really embrace those teams as their own.

*The NBA is the only game in town in Sacramento, Portland, OKC, Orlando, Memphis, Utah, San Antonio, and they were the only team in Phx for years when Phx was much smaller.
There are occasional news articles that debate which metro areas are still underserved in terms of major professional sports teams. Unfortunately, ABQ is not generally on those lists, and I doubt Tucson would ever make it, due to its dismal history in supporting minor league teams, as well as the recent fiasco of losing their MLB spring training teams.

Wikipedia has some good info. on the concentration and location of the major sports franchises (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_p..._sports_league). Of course, much of it depends on a particular team's ownership. And who would have thought the L.A area would have gone without an NFL franchise for this long?

Last edited by kaneui; May 21, 2009 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 11:04 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
[QUOTE=kaneui;4261132and I doubt Tucson would ever make it, due to its dismal history in supporting minor league teams, as well as the recent fiasco of losing their MLB spring training teams.
[/QUOTE]

Yah for sure, Tucson was a bad example. I guess I didn't mean Tucson exactly, just a city Tucsons size. Tucson residents won't support anything without that hideous red and blue A on it

But anywho, I think my point in general makes sense, but I guess it represents a level of risk for owners. But I imagine teams like the Conneticut Sun are more popular than the Phx Mercury to some degree since they're the only game in town. I know the San Jose Sharks are a really big deal there.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 5:55 PM

I love the look of this project. Awesome, I'm happy for ABQ.

Any news on this project?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Yah for sure, Tucson was a bad example. I guess I didn't mean Tucson exactly, just a city Tucsons size. Tucson residents won't support anything without that hideous red and blue A on it

But anywho, I think my point in general makes sense, but I guess it represents a level of risk for owners. But I imagine teams like the Conneticut Sun are more popular than the Phx Mercury to some degree since they're the only game in town. I know the San Jose Sharks are a really big deal there.

Austin, Texas, perhaps?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 9:56 AM
Desert Urbanite

What a beautiful and awesome project. The design of the Sheraton puts Phoenix's new Sheraton Convention Center hotel to shame. I love the extensive use of soaring glass and the bent roof. Also, pretty awesome to integrate a commuter rail station. It will sure add to your already nice downtown.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837 View Post
What a beautiful and awesome project. The design of the Sheraton puts Phoenix's new Sheraton Convention Center hotel to shame. I love the extensive use of soaring glass and the bent roof. Also, pretty awesome to integrate a commuter rail station. It will sure add to your already nice downtown.
I'm hopeful this project will become a reality, but currently there is no talk of moving forward due to the economy. We have a special election in October and I'm hoping this project will be on the list (and gets voter approval). It is a beautiful project and DT ABQ desperately needs this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest