HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 11:56 AM
Honored Member

YMCA (South Park Street) development renderings by Michael Napier will be on display at the YMCA (South Park Street) on May 5 and May 6 for public viewing. This development will be through the HRMbyDesign guidelines (let's see how long the approval will take). According to HRMbyDesign guidelines this could be as high as 16 storeys. The plan includes re-development of the CBC building which can go as high as 8 storeys.

PS: The Birch Cove master-plan is being revised to allow Navid Saberi of United Gulf to build one taller building instead of two 12 storey buildings - as requested. I think this is a good idea. Saberi has also stated that the next project to proceed will be the texpark development (twisted sisters). So the Birch Cove project (on the China Town restaurant property) won't be proceeding in the immediate future). (source allnovascotia.com)

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
Something for the Halifax Grain Towers??

Saw this today and was thinking about the possibilities for the grain towers in Halifax.

http://www.emergingterrain.org/storedpotential/
I've always thought they would make a great canvas for a massive mural. Especially since its one of the first things seen by arriving ships.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
YMCA (South Park Street) development renderings by Michael Napier will be on display at the YMCA (South Park Street) on May 5 and May 6 for public viewing. This development will be through the HRMbyDesign guidelines (let's see how long the approval will take). According to HRMbyDesign guidelines this could be as high as 16 storeys. The plan includes re-development of the CBC building which can go as high as 8 storeys.
Great news. I was taking pics up on Citadel Hill the other day and wondering when this proposal would finally surface. I'm really excited. I love Michaels work.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 1:20 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I also tend to like his projects. They tend to be modern, clean looking, and appropriate to the materials used.

The CBC/YMCA site is interesting in that it really is at the "edge" of the downtown. There's nothing but public space surrounding that corner and it is at the terminus of Bell Road. South Park Street is starting to become more and more of a retail street, but I'm not sure there would be much pedestrian traffic up that way. It wouldn't be a bad spot for a nice restaurant or cafe with lots of outdoor tables since the sidewalk is nice and wide. That whole area has a great feel and is one of the city's highlights. It is similar to the waterfront, where there is a beneficial mix of businesses and public space.

I'd love to see a similar treatment given to the south side of Spring Garden Road across from the gardens as well as the periphery of the Commons.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 3:03 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Great news. I was taking pics up on Citadel Hill the other day and wondering when this proposal would finally surface. I'm really excited. I love Michaels work.
It is interesting that you stated this - "I was taking pics up on Citadel Hill the other day and wondering when this proposal would finally surface". I think the view from the Citadel of Southern Halifax is great. I wonder how many people prefer the view of the city from the Citadel versus how many go to see the harbour. Personally, I always hoped that the Citadel would be surrounded by modern highrises since in my mind this would make a great view frrom the Citadel (some people will think that I am sick - however I just like cities).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 3:56 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The best argument I think is that people who want harbour views without buildings can get them all over the province - pick a direction, drive an hour or two, and you will have a bunch of harbours with views unobstructed by buildings.

It's the cityscape in Halifax that is unique, and that is complemented by attractive new highrise buildings. One the United Gulf towers are built we'll actually have an improved view with glass towers instead of the Dartmouth refinery.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It is interesting that you stated this - "I was taking pics up on Citadel Hill the other day and wondering when this proposal would finally surface". I think the view from the Citadel of Southern Halifax is great. I wonder how many people prefer the view of the city from the Citadel versus how many go to see the harbour. Personally, I always hoped that the Citadel would be surrounded by modern highrises since in my mind this would make a great view frrom the Citadel (some people will think that I am sick - however I just like cities).
I do actually find the southern view from the Citadel to be more interesting. The topography in this city is very interesting and can only really be appreciated from up high.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 2:43 PM

I heard about this from a friend last week. Glad to hear its already moving forward. I was not aware of the meeting the article references though. I wonder if it was only for residents of Spring Garden Terrace.
From todays Herald.

Killam begins project with . . . Lego

Neighbours used toy blocks to help company design apartment building

By CHRIS LAMBIE

Business Editor

Building a $17.5-million apart ment in downtown Halifax likely won’t be child’s play for Atlantic Canada’s largest landlord.

But that’s how it started.

At a recent public meeting, a planner working for Killam Prop erties Inc. asked neighbours to use Lego to show what they’d like the 100-unit apartment building to look like. “Rather than coming and say ing, ‘This is our design,’ we want ed people to engage in what they viewed it as being," said Nick Pryce, a project manager with

Terrain Group Inc.

“We had Lego blocks to repre sent

units and said, ‘How would you build these on the site?’ " People came up with some re­markable ideas, including a tall nar row structure that allowed more sunlight into the building, Pryce said. “That’s not to say we’re going to go up with a big, tall tower, but it was one of the interesting analy ses that came out of the process." Killam already owns Spring Garden Terrace, which fronts on Spring Garden Road between Car leton and Summer streets.The plan is to construct another building on what is now a parking lot behind the existing structure, just south of Camp Hill Cemetery. The developer hasn’t decided whether the new building will be connected to Spring Garden Ter race, built in the early 1960s.

“I know it sounds crazy, but as a planner, I try to sort of engage the community in the design," Pryce said. “The residents actually identified challenges with join ing it to the existing building. So we’re probably looking at trying maybe to do it stand-alone."

Michael Napier Architecture is now coming up with a design for the building, he said.

“Part of the challenge that’s faced at the moment with trying to do development is people have a negativity toward the word den sity, which is probably a reflec tion of the post-World War era of planning and social housing that occurred, versus getting over the concept of it’s not density, it’s more about the design," Pryce said.

“You’ll never please everybody. But how can we do a design that stands up?"

He acknowledged some people who live in the area will likely op pose the new building.

But it will allow “more people to have and enjoy the opportuni ties that existing residents in the area have, which is the cafes, the shops, the access to public trans port, utilizing the parks in the area, walking versus being car dependant, being near the hospi tals, the universities. Those are all assets that we should be mak ing sure we capitalize on," Pryce said.

“It’s an excellent location," said Robert Richardson, Killam’s executive vice-president.

The company bought Spring Garden Terrace about five years ago. The longtime property buyer announced last month that it was planning to become a developer as well, issuing $44 million worth of new shares to pay for various projects.

“This would be our first devel opment in Halifax," Richardson said.

Spring Garden Terrace is 11 storeys high. But Killam doesn’t know yet how tall the new build­ing will be, he said.

“It really is open for discus sion," Richardson said. “The thing is, the additional hundred units is the number we’re work ing with in terms of a viable num ber on that site. There’s a real push by the city to increase densi ty on the peninsula. . . . All the amenities are here on the penin­sula. All the services for water and sewer are already here. We would be meeting one of their ob jectives with this."

(clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting. That is a good spot for a new building.

It's definitely true that it's best to present questions on how to design buildings to the public rather than ask whether or not they will be built. If you ask most people if they want a highrise next door they will mostly just say no and there won't be much productive dialog. If you ask for their suggestions, you can get concrete information to improve the development for everybody.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Interesting. That is a good spot for a new building.

It's definitely true that it's best to present questions on how to design buildings to the public rather than ask whether or not they will be built. If you ask most people if they want a highrise next door they will mostly just say no and there won't be much productive dialog. If you ask for their suggestions, you can get concrete information to improve the development for everybody.
Exactly! And I hope this and the process of the Fenwick Tower redevelopment are maybe signs of things to come. Maybe someday we will live in a city where all major projects are designed in part by the community.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2010, 1:28 PM

Mosque built via rock of faith
Muslims, barred from taking a traditional mortgage, get behind Halifax’s Ummah community centre
By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Sun. Apr 25 - 4:53 AM

THE BANK of Canada may be warning about higher interests ahead but the people behind one of Halifax’s more ambitious construction projects are unconcerned. They will finish their $6-million building without borrowing a penny.

Almost all of the Ummah Mosque and Community Centre, nearing completion in west-end Halifax, was constructed without the traditional sort of North American mortgage obtained by most businesses, institutions and individuals undertaking big construction jobs.

"In Islamic tradition, it is prohibited to deal with interest," said Hadi Salah, principal of the Maritime Muslim Academy. "This project is built mostly by fundraising and the community has been quite generous."

The academy is in a former school at 6225 Chebucto Rd. About 25,000 Muslims call Halifax and Nova Scotia home.

"Certainly, we have had lots of generous support from all around the province," said Salah. When the mosque and community centre opens to the public at the end of the year, it will be paid for. There will be no outstanding mortgage payments to worry about.

Of course, it has been slow going at times.

Salah said some portions of the project could only proceed as funds became available.

Supporters could not borrow money with expectations of paying down the debt later, which is the way many congregations and community organizations advance construction projects.

A single fundraising dinner for the project raised about $340,000. When young people were asked to donate the contents of their piggy banks to the project, they came up with $22,000.

It is the way community centres get built in the Muslim tradition.

"We have received very much support in so many fundraising efforts," Salah said.

"And we’re not finished yet. We still have another $2 million to go to complete construction."

The fundraising will continue on May 29 when supporters of the mosque and community centre and will host another Ummah Day.

Ummah translates as community and Salah said the community component of the project is important.

The province contributed $767,000 toward the construction cost of the gym, while a $10,000 municipal grant will be used to purchase athletic equipment.

Salah said the community centre will be open to Muslims and people of different faiths. The mosque will take up about one-third of the 25,000-square-foot complex, which includes a gymnasium, library and cafeteria.

Najah Attig, an expert in Islamic financial traditions who teaches at Saint Mary’s University in Halifax, said many Canadian financial institutions are learning about how the purchase of a new home or other business transactions are handled in ways that allow people of Muslim faith to participate with a clear conscience.

In recent years, more financial institutions have learned how to prepare Sharia-compliant mortgages, in which the lending institution retains title as the homebuyer makes payments that lead to ownership. "In Islamic tradition, the financial institution is truly a partner is the process," said Attig.

( bpower@herald.ca )

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 2:54 PM

It's the cityscape in Halifax that is unique, and that is complemented by attractive new highrise buildings. One the United Gulf towers are built we'll actually have an improved view with glass towers instead of the Dartmouth refinery.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you're not fond of the refinery view.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2010, 4:35 PM

I went to a recital in the Conservatory the other day and got a nice close up view of the new Mosque. I really like it. A good mixture of glass and brick with some very nice detailing. I also like that you can now see the two domes from the top of Citadel Hill.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 1:15 AM

Quote:
I went to a recital in the Conservatory the other day and got a nice close up view of the new Mosque. I really like it. A good mixture of glass and brick with some very nice detailing. I also like that you can now see the two domes from the top of Citadel Hill.
I have a nice view of it from my bedroom window very nice building.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:16 PM

How much are we paying for NFB redevelopment?

By ROGER TAYLOR Business Columnist
Tue. Apr 27 - 4:53 AM

The owners of the former National Film Board property on Barrington Street in Halifax are getting help from taxpayers to redevelop their building.

But just how much help is alarming some people.

Only a façade has remained at 1572 Barrington St. since a 1991 fire destroyed the structure built in the 1880s as the home of the St. Mary’s Young Men’s Total Abstinence and Benevolent Society.

The crumbling façade, supported by steel girders, has become a favourite spot for graffiti artists and litterbugs and is probably the ugliest blight on historic Barrington Street.

So it’s a good thing that the location is about to be revived.

Businessmen Chris Tzaneteas and Costa Elles, partners in Eat It Two Entertainment — owner of Opa Greek Taverna, the Argyle Bar and Grill, and Mosaic, all on Argyle Street, and a new bar that will soon replace Seven on Grafton Street — plan to spend about $8 million on a new six-storey building that will front on Barrington Street and extend back to sit on top of the Argyle.

I wasn’t able to contact either Tzaneteas or Elles on Monday, but according to an earlier report, they want to create 50 apartments above commercial space. The apartments might be known as the Lofts at the NFB.

But only the part of the building fronting on Barrington Street is eligible for funding under heritage conservation incentives.

Tzaneteas described the situation this way in an earlier story: "In our particular case, they’ve drawn a line down the middle of the property and they’ve said that only the portion on Barrington Street qualifies."

Meanwhile, in a report sent to council last week, staff acknowledged that the estimated amount of incentive for which the NFB property would be eligible is higher than what other downtown projects of comparable size might get "due to the scope and the construction work and the recommended forgiveness of the $175,950 cost of the façade stabilization."

City staff wrote that the high incentive is a reasonable premium to pay to ensure that the NFB project moves ahead, especially considering the city will benefit from the added tax money it will get when the structure is completed.

Nonetheless, staff want the incentive capped.

"To ensure that adequate funds are available for other future restoration and renovation projects in the district, staff recommend that the level of incentive for the NFB project be capped at $700,000, depending on the final cost estimates for the project."

At least one major taxpayer in downtown Halifax says he’s concerned that too much money is going to one project.

Property developer and landlord Louis Reznick told me that the heritage grants were designed for the preservation of old buildings, not for new construction.

With only the façade of the original building remaining, Reznick wonders why regional council would consider incentives for anything beyond helping to reintegrate the façade into the new structure.

Reznick, who owns several well-known buildings downtown, says his company is entitled to a heritage grant to fix up the façade of the former Sam the Record Man store and tax credits for work it does to the old building but not for a planned addition on top.

In the meantime, I’m not sure if the heritage incentive is enough to get construction on Tzaneteas and Elles’s apartment building started by this summer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:55 PM

It's kind of ironic that after so many years of people bashing and complaining about new modern developments, the first time we start to see some good heritage redevelopment in the downtown it is slammed.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 1:08 PM

Quote:
It's kind of ironic that after so many years of people bashing and complaining about new modern developments, the first time we start to see some good heritage redevelopment in the downtown it is slammed.
Yeah i don't get this either.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 1:38 PM

Me either.

And I don't think that price is to bad to get rid of an eye sore.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 1:54 PM

This is not "heritage redevelopment". It is a taxpayer subsidy for facadism of a structure that should have been demolished nearly 20 years ago. It retains none of the heritage aspects of the original property except the facade. It is a very poor use of taxpayer funds.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:21 PM

I have no problem with this. Can it be assumed that this site has been paying property tax since the fire? If so, I think you can credit some of that back to the owner/developer.

If this property gets redeveloped plenty of the heritage types will be crowing about... lets give it to them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth