HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 5:32 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfiend View Post
Here's something to mull over: It even includes a rendering...

http://www.wehoville.com/2013/02/01/...at-weho-depot/

Probably will never happen, although the city will eventually development that property, they've been eying it for years. The comments are ALL negative. NIMBYism lives in WeHo, big time.

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/...hen-Design.jpg

If West Hollywood ever decides to redevelop the MTA bus depot (which they should), this isn't the way to go. Another shopping mall is not needed. Especially if it's going to be a huge blank wall. That side of the street could be activated with all sorts of stuff. WeHo needs to wake up.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 8:19 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post

http://www.wehoville.com/wp-content/...hen-Design.jpg

If West Hollywood ever decides to redevelop the MTA bus depot (which they should), this isn't the way to go. Another shopping mall is not needed. Especially if it's going to be a huge blank wall. That side of the street could be activated with all sorts of stuff. WeHo needs to wake up.
I don't like the whole mall thing, but those towers look nice...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2013, 7:04 PM

If that intersection ever became a big transit hub/crossroads for metro rail (SaMo and San Vicente absolutely should be one day) then this concept does make sense. This intersection could start to resemble what you'd see in Shanghai/Bangkok/Beijing - multiple rail lines converging into an area of dense housing and shopping. Obviously another mall becomes a problem if its that close to Beverly Center and Grove, but the overall idea isn't that bad. DTLA/7th, Vermont/Wilshire, WeHo should all develop something similar in the future.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 1:20 AM
International

passed by caruso's 8500 burton way today, and couldn't help but think how nice it looked! it looks like something you see in a nice part of miami, or somewhere on the mediterranean. the build quality and finishes both seemed to be very high, and the massing and urbanity has brought alot of life to that messy, chaotic, and pedestrian-unfriendly intersection.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 10:48 AM

That intersection is messy, chaotic, and driver-unfriendly as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
That intersection is messy, chaotic, and driver-unfriendly as well.
Aside: I was just out in LA. And whereas I expected motorists to be a little crazy ... I discovered they were quite the opposite. LA motorists appear to be the most patient and cautious I've ever seen.

One possible explanation: I grant that pedestrians have all the rights. Thing is, LA pedestrians seem to know it and act accordingly. They certainly do take their time crossing.

And motorists just wait ... and wait ... and wait. In Orlando, motorists would be honking at dawdling pedestrians.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Aside: I was just out in LA. And whereas I expected motorists to be a little crazy ... I discovered they were quite the opposite. LA motorists appear to be the most patient and cautious I've ever seen.

One possible explanation: I grant that pedestrians have all the rights. Thing is, LA pedestrians seem to know it and act accordingly. They certainly do take their time crossing.

And motorists just wait ... and wait ... and wait. In Orlando, motorists would be honking at dawdling pedestrians.
Haha funny. I do remember visiting Orlando and getting honked at every time I was crossing the street. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtlaCuriousity View Post
Haha funny. I do remember visiting Orlando and getting honked at every time I was crossing the street. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
I'm guessing you were crossing the road like a f***ing Angelino.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:30 AM

Aerial photo of LAX's new international terminal under construction.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jw4pix/...n/photostream/

It's a months old picture though. It should be almost finished by now.
Here are the more recent photos.

http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...Nov%202012.pdf

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:33 AM

I just flew into LAX, via Airtrain, and was happy to read that Soutwest plans to spiff up that rather drab terminal. I hope that roads and signage will also be improved with this massive, ongoing modernization program.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I'm guessing you were crossing the road like a f***ing Angelino.
Because the only people we should care about on our roads are drivers, of course?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:14 PM

Mixed-use apartment project underway in Westchester

Work has begun on a 260-unit complex near the southwest corner of Manchester Avenue and Rayford Drive called Playa Del Oro West. (Image courtesy of the Los Angeles Times).

By Roger Vincent
Los Angeles Times
February 3, 2013

"A big empty lot north of Los Angeles International Airport in Westchester is getting an upgrade: $105 million worth of apartments and shops.

Work has begun on a 260-unit complex near the southwest corner of Manchester Avenue and Rayford Drive called Playa Del Oro West, developer Decron Properties Corp. said.

The development is the second phase of a project Decron began in 2002 with the purchase of 13 acres at Manchester and Lincoln Boulevard that included a 12-story hotel previously known as the Furama and before that as the Airport Marina Hotel..."

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,4479462.story

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Because the only people we should care about on our roads are drivers, of course?
Lighten up and reread my original post.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

Work has begun on a 260-unit complex near the southwest corner of Manchester Avenue and Rayford Drive called Playa Del Oro West. (Image courtesy of the Los Angeles Times).

By Roger Vincent
Los Angeles Times
February 3, 2013

"A big empty lot north of Los Angeles International Airport in Westchester is getting an upgrade: $105 million worth of apartments and shops.

Work has begun on a 260-unit complex near the southwest corner of Manchester Avenue and Rayford Drive called Playa Del Oro West, developer Decron Properties Corp. said.

The development is the second phase of a project Decron began in 2002 with the purchase of 13 acres at Manchester and Lincoln Boulevard that included a 12-story hotel previously known as the Furama and before that as the Airport Marina Hotel..."

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,4479462.story

Revival architecture has a place in today's world, but this is obviously not it. I think 1920's spanish revival architecture was such a great fit for LA's climate and landscape that when done right, it's the one "revival" revival style that i like. There have been a few apartment buildings built recently in that style that i thought came out very well.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 11:14 AM
Paramoderator

New renderings of the Millenium Hollywood project, courtesy of Curbed LA. I gotta say, the towers don't look half bad in this picture...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:51 PM

Those towers look awesome. But what are the chances of those getting built?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
Probably not as bad as you might think. Hollywood is further along in the development and gentrification process than Downtown, so these have a higher probability of happening, I think, than, say, if they were built in the latter area.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
I think the chances are decent, but at lower heights. Hollywood has lots of potential, but also lots of entrenched people fighting the changes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:49 PM

Even if they are no taller than the extent of the rendering it will be a dramatic addition.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Probably not as bad as you might think. Hollywood is further along in the development and gentrification process than Downtown, so these have a higher probability of happening, I think, than, say, if they were built in the latter area.

Huh? You think a skyscraper has a better chance of being built in hollywood than downtown? The height restrictions alone make this a dubious statement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations