HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 6, 2007, 6:27 PM
Canadian Urbanite

You don't think Regina residents realize that this is a government city? If there's anyone in this city who doesn't know that, than they obviously don't care too much.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:24 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
You don't think Regina residents realize that this is a government city? If there's anyone in this city who doesn't know that, than they obviously don't care too much.
Of course everyone knows it a govrnment city... but from the skyline one might not know the limited number of private corporations filling those buildings.

Grant Devine once compared the city to Toronto. Ummmm.. yeah.
... which happens to also be a government city. Just not the same though.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:31 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Devine did a lot of things he probably wish he hadn't.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 12:52 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Devine did a lot of things he probably wish he hadn't.
I agree with you there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 1:15 AM

newflyer, I hear you (and other people) constantly ramble about how Regina completely relies on the government, yet I never hear the statistics to back those claims up.

So here they are, as you see, government services (also including education, social sciences, and religion) only make up a small percentage of the total workforce

source: http://www.regina.ca/pdfs/ReginaProfile.pdf

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 2:31 AM

Thanks for the stats but I think if you take away the sales and service industry, ie. waiters, waitresses, kid at 7-11 and every other part time/short tenure job out there, then Newflyer would be a lot more accurate...I would think that the long tenure positions are held with the government and its crowns...Thus, making regina a governemtn city...Hey, if my company had more than 4 of my positions in Regina, I would consider moving back...But thats not the case and when they do hire more positions, it will be tough sledding in those said positions...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 2:53 AM

in the long run, regina will most likely outlast saskatoon, seeing as it is closer too the U.S. and is a goverment city. but in the mean time, mining up north will change the face of saskatoon in the next few years. i guess people in regina can come visit!

p.s- although i think saskatoon is more beautiful from a geographical standpoint, i think reginas downtown is way nicer than saskatoons

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 2:57 AM

some one mentioned earlier about if the railway hadnt taken the southern root saskatoon would be the one major city. wouldnt battleford be the big city? it was already the capitol of the N.W.T and was much more established than Saskatoon. if they had decided too give the university to the bigger city, Saskatoon may have ben bigger than it is now, but i think battleford lost the most by far.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonitecture View Post
in the long run, regina will most likely outlast saskatoon, seeing as it is closer too the U.S. and is a goverment city. but in the mean time, mining up north will change the face of saskatoon in the next few years. i guess people in regina can come visit!
I somehow gather that you think that someday Saskatoon will just implode and cease to exist because it's not a government city? I believe that its extremely safe to say that Regina and Saskatoon will "last" forever and continue to grow in their own right.
Yes, government jobs are somewhat more stable than private sector jobs during hard economic times but that certainly doesn't mean Saskatoon's economic future is doomed because we're not the capital city. Also, Saskatoon's economy and source of employment does not consist solely of the mining and resources sector (The same can be said of Regina's government sector). Toon Town's economy is quite diversified and is no longer dependent completely on agriculture, mining, oil, etc. In recent years Saskatoon has successfully positioned itself as one of Canada's leading science and research cities. The Synchrotron as an example is an important investment in the future of our city's economy.
Furthermore, in such a highly globalized society, I fail to see how a city's proximity to the U.S. border is that much of an advantage. Technology connects the globe from end to end at the click of a button. So I don't see how Regina could have any substantial advantage because its closer to...umm... North Dakota and Montana (Not like Regina is a car ride away from New York Perhaps there are more trucking companies based out of Regina to haul freight over the U.S. border (??) but other than that, what difference does it make? If I am completely wrong in saying this someone please enlighten me.
IMO Saskatoon is headed for a bright and everlasting future!
Dont take my little rant the wrong way.. I don't intend to sound rude or condescending. I just couldnt sit back and not state my disagreement over some of the points you made

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 7:48 PM

this is only my opinion. i dont think that saskatoon is going to implode, what i meant was, if you look at a map of canada, i dont think it is a coincidence that the most populated cities are all relitavely close too the U.S border. im sure saskatoon and regina will both grow, but regina i thinkwill one day over grow saskatoon for several reasons.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
this is only my opinion. i dont think that saskatoon is going to implode, what i meant was, if you look at a map of canada, i dont think it is a coincidence that the most populated cities are all relitavely close too the U.S border. im sure saskatoon and regina will both grow, but regina i thinkwill one day over grow saskatoon for several reasons.
Well what are these reasons then?

As for most of Canadas population being near the USA border, think CLIMATE. Warmer down south, so settled earlier.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 11:04 PM
high expectations

Quote:
Saskatoons the bigger city and I think it shows......

name the several reasons.........

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
newflyer, I hear you (and other people) constantly ramble about how Regina completely relies on the government, yet I never hear the statistics to back those claims up.

So here they are, as you see, government services (also including education, social sciences, and religion) only make up a small percentage of the total workforce

source: http://www.regina.ca/pdfs/ReginaProfile.pdf
Are we still talking about this? Oy. The thing about that table is that all the government jobs include only jobs directly for the government. See those 25000 jobs working in the service industry? A lot of those are crown corporation jobs - jobs that are in Regina because it's the capital. Crowns are good because they're stable, well paying jobs, but won't fuel a lot of growth. Regina's core industries (industries that bring money into Regina) are a lot smaller than Saskatoon's, so when industry is expanding, Saskatoon reaps the benefits more than Regina.

And I know, someone from Regina is going to say "look at Ipsco or the refinery". Well, you're right, but take those two entities away, and my point becomes even stronger. Dudes, don't be so defensive! Regina is a great town, it's stable, people are well off for the most part, but growth has been very slow for decades. That's just the way it is.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Well what are these reasons then?

As for most of Canadas population being near the USA border, think CLIMATE. Warmer down south, so settled earlier.
actually, saskatoon was a more established area becuase of the trade routes and its north of regina. AND by the way, i dont think climate had that much too do with it. i will admit that these cities were established because of historical trade routes, and now it isnt as important too be near the U.S. there may be few reasons why regina may over grow saskatoon one day, i heard a report that saskatoons river will be gone in something like 50 years. i cant predict the future, i just think that regina will over grow saskatoon some day, i am a proud saskatoonian, and like it more than regina, but why should we care? wont we all be dead when this happens. its certainly not going to happen anytime soon! i bet there are some flaws in my thoughts, dont get too worked up about what a fifteen year old thinks.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:22 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Why would the South Saskatchewan River disappear?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
actually, saskatoon was a more established area becuase of the trade routes and its north of regina. AND by the way, i dont think climate had that much too do with it. i will admit that these cities were established because of historical trade routes, and now it isnt as important too be near the U.S. there may be few reasons why regina may over grow saskatoon one day, i heard a report that saskatoons river will be gone in something like 50 years. i cant predict the future, i just think that regina will over grow saskatoon some day, i am a proud saskatoonian, and like it more than regina, but why should we care? wont we all be dead when this happens. its certainly not going to happen anytime soon! i bet there are some flaws in my thoughts, dont get too worked up about what a fifteen year old thinks.
And exactly where will Regina be getting its water in fifty years? If the South Saskatchewan River dries up then Regina will be worse off. Think dust bowl!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 6:43 PM
high expectations

Quote:

there may be few reasons why regina may over grow saskatoon one day, i heard a report that saskatoons river will be gone in something like 50 years.

wtf ..........what!?

what are these reasons you people keep saying?

make some damn sense please!

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:00 PM
arf

^The biggest reason involves the sources of the North Saskatchewan River. The Saskatchewan Glacier is receeding quite quickly up the valley in AB. Sure there is runoff from other sources as well, but the glacier is still a major component of the flow. Whether this condition has reversed itself in 50 years is open to debate, but given the current rate of receeding, most of the glaciers in AB are probably gone within 50 years. Both Saskatchewan cities have a lot at stake with what happens with water availability in AB.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:05 PM

If the South Saskatchewan river ever "ran dry", Regina cought probably get its water from a mix between wells and Last Mountain Lake. Unfortunately as a result, the cost would increase and the quality of water would decrease.

If the glaciers continue to recede, both Saskatoon and Regina are doomed

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 8:25 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes
^The biggest reason involves the sources of the North Saskatchewan River. The Saskatchewan Glacier is receeding quite quickly up the valley in AB. Sure there is runoff from other sources as well, but the glacier is still a major component of the flow. Whether this condition has reversed itself in 50 years is open to debate, but given the current rate of receeding, most of the glaciers in AB are probably gone within 50 years. Both Saskatchewan cities have a lot at stake with what happens with water availability in AB.
Your science proves nothing.

It will be Mad Max in twenty years. Scarce water will be only one of your worries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan