HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:58 PM

From March's PAC agenda: https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def..._15_agenda.pdf

A 25 unit apartment building at 128-132 Forest Hill Road. Interesting as it's mostly studio apartments with a handful of one- and two-bedroom units. This is next door to the new Gorham building that is finishing construction right now.

Some of the remaining Lincoln Heights land is being rezoned. The next phase includes 36 SFH lots, an R-5 lot, and an MR-2 lot.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 1:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Found on CCD Canada:

Quote:
HOTEL, FREDERICTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB166540-22-06

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : June 8, 2022

Last updated : February 13, 2023

Starting Date (estimated) : Year 2023

Size : ($6,857,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 2-Commercial

Subcategories : 2E-Hotel & Lodging

Disciplines : ARCH, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

FREDERICTON (NB)
(Fredericton - Oromocto)

Description :
NEW HOTEL -
Located in Fredericton, Union St., this project estimated at $6 857 000 is in the planning stage. It is slated to begin in 2023. Works concern the construction of a hotel.

- Initiator: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
Do you guys know anything about this???

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Found on CCD Canada:

Do you guys know anything about this???
This might be the St Mary's First Nation rumored hotel?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 2:28 PM

Sounds like it's the hotel St Mary's wants to build on Union and Cliff next to MacLean's sports. Someone mentioned it a week or two ago (first I'd heard of it) but it seems to have been a somewhat known project.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:47 PM

St Mary's FN build. Reported this last year (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=13013) and has been in the works for awhile. Expect a Starbucks to be located on the ground floor or adjacent property as well.

Last edited by Freddypop; Mar 3, 2023 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
This might be the St Mary's First Nation rumored hotel?
Seems pretty low budget, must not be very big for $6M in todays material costs.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
Seems pretty low budget, must not be very big for $6M in todays material costs.
Was thinking the same.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Was thinking the same.
Also thinking the same. On a positive note they do gain as they do not have to pay taxes.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 1:23 PM

The 147 unit apartment building on Duncan Lane has been approved by council despite concerns about the lack of sidewalks and bus service: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...nsit-1.6777929

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
The 147 unit apartment building on Duncan Lane has been approved by council despite concerns about the lack of sidewalks and bus service: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...nsit-1.6777929
A simple roundabout at Duncan lane/Prospect/Rainsford solves all of the traffic flow issues and connection to trails. It additionally solves the hazardous mess the city and province have created at patience/prospect.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 3:50 PM

Someone mentioned that the grade could be an issue though. Not sure if that's true.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 4:35 PM

Here's a new rendering of the new performing arts centre:

There's also a video: https://engagefredericton.ca/pac

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Here's a new rendering of the new performing arts centre:

There's also a video: https://engagefredericton.ca/pac
Exciting! I'm actually going to the current Arts Centre for the first time this April, I'll get to see how dearly needed this new Arts Centre will be (from what friends have told me).

I like the two stages at 850/300 seat capacity. the 850 seat capacity works well for SJ, so I'm sure it'll translate well here.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 5:08 PM

That's going to be a signature block in the city in the future. Now if only they could do something about Tim's being across the street from it. Moco and Midsea are fine; their buildings fill in the space fine and have some character and street presence. But the Tim's with a parking lot right on the corner just feels like a lost opportunity in comparison to what's around it. Even a 2-3 story residential block with Tim's on the ground floor (but no DriveThru) would be good.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
That's going to be a signature block in the city in the future. Now if only they could do something about Tim's being across the street from it. Moco and Midsea are fine; their buildings fill in the space fine and have some character and street presence. But the Tim's with a parking lot right on the corner just feels like a lost opportunity in comparison to what's around it. Even a 2-3 story residential block with Tim's on the ground floor (but no DriveThru) would be good.
Consolidate the Tim's lot with the adjacent parking (owned by the developer of the Centennial Building) and there's room for a significant development.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 7:44 PM

Eyeballing that neighbourhood/corner, yeah the Tim's corner is just screaming for something significant to be built there, to fill in the gap from the corner to Centennial. It won't happen as long as the city lets them keep the drive-thru open, but it's probably one of the biggest potential spots we have in the core now (that won't be touched that is).

The Moco/ComicHunter building and the MidSea Eatery building, I like the way they are. The MidSea building is a bit plain but I think they have character and shouldn't be touched IMO.

On the other hand, going past them, Vogue Optical/that repair place is just a simple infill building that should be cleared and built up in the future.

Similarly the chinse place and Lunar Rogue Pub's spots might be a good area to replace and densify in the future. (I'd hate to lose any of those businesses though, but the buildings are just infills that could be so much better).

I'm a bit split on the Muse building. It's not really infill; really it's just like MidSea's building and it's a good size for what's around it. Still I might like something better there, but it's probably not worth buying for a tear down anytime soon.

All in all that block of Regent is looking quite good IMO. It's more the King Street side that has lots of room for improvement.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 10:42 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Denny's opening in Lake George (old Acorn) in spring. Very unexpected. I hope they get the traffic they must be anticipating.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:33 AM

Acorn has always been busy so I'm sure Dennys will get the traffic. It's a bit far from the city for city folk to just drop in; but Kings Landing is already a draw to the area.

I'm going to be a bit disappointed to lose Acorn. It's been one of my spots for something a bit different when I've come back from Woodstock.

*Edit* Here's the Facebook post

Fens seems to have bought up Mads Truckstop. So does this mean they'll switch from PetroCanada to Irving now too? (Looking at their FB feed, they got the truck stop early last December)

Acorn apparently is going to stay open until mid-April or so and then the renovations will kick in.

Last edited by Taeolas; Mar 16, 2023 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 11:12 PM

Two interesting items coming up on April's PAC agenda:

- Rezoning (presumably a portion) of PID 75359612 from Future Development to MR-4, to allow for nine four-storey apartment buildings with a total of 365 units. This very large property is owned by JD Irving so it's a bit hard to say where exactly this will be. It wraps around the existing Bishop Heights neighbourhood and also extends east parallel to Bishop Drive
- Ross Ventures is looking to rezone 200 Two Nations Crossing to District Commercial "to permit a commercial development including a grocery store and retail space." They would be buying a portion of the city transit garage property as well.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Two interesting items coming up on April's PAC agenda:

- Rezoning (presumably a portion) of PID 75359612 from Future Development to MR-4, to allow for nine four-storey apartment buildings with a total of 365 units. This very large property is owned by JD Irving so it's a bit hard to say where exactly this will be. It wraps around the existing Bishop Heights neighbourhood and also extends east parallel to Bishop Drive
- Ross Ventures is looking to rezone 200 Two Nations Crossing to District Commercial "to permit a commercial development including a grocery store and retail space." They would be buying a portion of the city transit garage property as well.
Interesting. Superstore has been rumoured to be looking for a new location for their Main Street Store. Maybe something there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces