HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel_27 View Post
With infrastructure and supportive surroundings in mind, would a $4.0 million investment in the Victoria Health Centre not be a much better location?
I don't know. How far does $4M go in that building? I'm wondering if another alternative would be a purpose-built structure, perhaps in the VHC parking lot.

But the other thing is that we don't want to concentrate this type of housing in only one area of the city.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I'm not sure this is a fair assessment. The John Howard Society has a great track record and I've never seen issues with their property on Main Street. This property will be staffed 24/7 as well. This isn't a typical low income housing project with an absentee landlord.

The reality is that no place is truly ideal for this sort of property. At least this location is on a bus route and easy walking distance of essentials like a grocery store, several pharmacies, and even employment opportunities.
I would much rather see it in the victoria health center area and I think many of the homeless would agree. They are already going there to stay and get meals now. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to expect someone to walk from one side of town to get a meal to the complete opposite side of town and the top of a giant hill to sleep. no? I guess what I and most of us don't understand is the purpose of the new development. Is it for the homeless? The low income? or both? If it's for the homeless or both, then no it doesn't make sense to have it that far from the soup kitchen.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
I would much rather see it in the victoria health center area and I think many of the homeless would agree. They are already going there to stay and get meals now. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to expect someone to walk from one side of town to get a meal to the complete opposite side of town and the top of a giant hill to sleep. no? I guess what I and most of us don't understand is the purpose of the new development. Is it for the homeless? The low income? or both? If it's for the homeless or both, then no it doesn't make sense to have it that far from the soup kitchen.
The city was going to provide the residents with transit passes.

Most of the details were in the January PAC package:
- 20 Housing First (affordable) living units
- 12 peer supported housing units
- 4 suites for peer support workers
- 2 emergency housing units for police and mental health evaluations
- 2 suites for management and maintenance
- 24 bed emergency homeless shelter, to be converted into more Housing First units when it's not longer needed.

The remaining space is to be used for workplace essential skills and job readiness training.

It sounds like this would be a mostly self-sufficient facility, staffed 24/7.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 8:09 PM

The conversation I'm hearing seems to all be based on the idea that the homeless are a nuisance that should be kept out of the public eye. The idea that the project shouldn't be placed there because somebody might see somebody being homeless in a public area is disgusting.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 6:30 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:26 PM

Equipment on site on the rookwood ave 8 story this morning. Appears the foundation dig has started.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Equipment on site on the rookwood ave 8 story this morning. Appears the foundation dig has started.
That's great!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Thats great. I'll try to swing by after work maybe and snap some picks to update the project page.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 7:44 PM

Renderings of the work being done on Union Street this summer. The on street parking is a nice addition.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 12:36 PM

Appears the legion building is already full with completion only slated for fall 2022. https://huddle.today/downtown-freder...-already-full/

Also noticed the second building on Patience lane is being poured today.

Evidently, developers can not build them fast enough, especially in the downtown core.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Also noticed the second building on Patience lane is being poured today.
Here's the site plan. 147 units in total.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Here's the site plan. 147 units in total.
Good Info.

Had some doubt that it was just more groundwork but the foundation is definitely happening on the waggoner's lane project imminently. The hole in the ground is now substantial. I'd guess we will see concrete forms in the next week or so.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:12 PM

Addictions home proposed for historic downtown building

The new proposal would provide help and housing to those addicted to drugs and alcohol while repurposing the boarded up Lemont House by converting it into an 'Oxford House'.

Oxford Houses offer addicts a place to recover where they pay their own way and help run the property.

Addictions home proposed for historic downtown building

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 3:15 PM

Lots of stuff on this month's PAC agenda: https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def...2021agenda.pdf

Items of note:

- Amending terms and conditions to permit apartment buildings on part of the West Hills land. This would be on the east side of Brookside Drive immediately after Camden Lane.
- Rezoning of 209-215 Regent to permit a 7 unit apartment building. This was previously approved (I believe) as two smaller buildings but new zoning rules allow lot consolidations on Regent. This replaces the two older houses that are there now.
- Amending terms and conditions for the previously approved apartment building at 450 Bowlen Street to accommodate a new design. Looks like this would be four units. The design really doesn't look great.
- Rezone 631 Charlotte Street to accommodate a three storey, nine unit apartment building, replacing the house that was recently demolished.
- 119 Saint Mary's Street zoning amendment to allow a cafe and hair salon. This building was recently renovated and it looks amazing. This would be a great addition to the neighbourhood.
- Cuffman Street subdivision to allow three MR-2 lots, each accommodating a 44 unit apartment building.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Lots of stuff on this month's PAC agenda: https://www.fredericton.ca/sites/def...2021agenda.pdf

Items of note:

- Amending terms and conditions to permit apartment buildings on part of the West Hills land. This would be on the east side of Brookside Drive immediately after Camden Lane.
- Rezoning of 209-215 Regent to permit a 7 unit apartment building. This was previously approved (I believe) as two smaller buildings but new zoning rules allow lot consolidations on Regent. This replaces the two older houses that are there now.
- Amending terms and conditions for the previously approved apartment building at 450 Bowlen Street to accommodate a new design. Looks like this would be four units. The design really doesn't look great.
- Rezone 631 Charlotte Street to accommodate a three storey, nine unit apartment building, replacing the house that was recently demolished.
- 119 Saint Mary's Street zoning amendment to allow a cafe and hair salon. This building was recently renovated and it looks amazing. This would be a great addition to the neighbourhood.
- Cuffman Street subdivision to allow three MR-2 lots, each accommodating a 44 unit apartment building.
The changes to the Bowlen Street proposal are quite disappointing to say the least, going from the five floor design, to what is proposed.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 1:00 AM

The airport is now complete.

https://youtu.be/qIj0torBLVw

Also announced today, direct flights coming from Fredericton to Deer Lake and St.John's for the first time through PAL airlines.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 12:29 PM

Plans in the DG to convert the Lamont House into, uh, supportive housing for '4-6 recovering drug addicts'.

Do people have no sense of scale? $3-400K to acquire per the article, massive renos, masonry repair, roof, etc. In a prime development area. For... four to six people. That's an absurd expense for a small-scale nonprofit. Property tax alone will be massive. Buy a fourplex somewhere... or obtain the Woodstock Road wet shelter facility that's been causing grief and do it there.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Plans in the DG to convert the Lamont House into, uh, supportive housing for '4-6 recovering drug addicts'.

Do people have no sense of scale? $3-400K to acquire per the article, massive renos, masonry repair, roof, etc. In a prime development area. For... four to six people. That's an absurd expense for a small-scale nonprofit. Property tax alone will be massive. Buy a fourplex somewhere... or obtain the Woodstock Road wet shelter facility that's been causing grief and do it there.
Seems like a big building for 4-6 people. Perhaps it would have multiple uses?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:32 PM

From councillor Bruce Grandy's Twitter account:

Quote:
Over 18m in residential permits taken out in March which doubles last year at this same time. Value to date in 2021 is 28m. Growing city even in these challenging times! @CityFredGov #cityonthemove
https://twitter.com/BruceGrandy/stat...95260287299584

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Seems like a big building for 4-6 people. Perhaps it would have multiple uses?
Not only that, but how far does $400k go in a reno/repurpose project of a historic building with brick facade?

If I was entering a program like that, I know I would not want it to be located in one of the top tourist locations in the province. I'd prefer a nondescript, more anonymous fourplex in a residential area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces