HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:35 PM

Magazine Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
My friend at the HDLC said this building was recently purchased by the Kailas guys(1031 Canal their other project) and are converting it to residential and retail. I actually had a chance to tour this building a few years ago and its considered New Orleans second skyscraper and was built in 1896. The coolest thing is that the elevator which still works was tied into the city streetcar system so that it could power the elevators with steam!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2nd+ol...7.23,,0,-26.15
I saw that they were actually working on the building...looked like interior demolition...when I rode by on a bike ride Thursday. Glad it's already moving forward.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:39 PM

Quote:
This article has some problems with it. One The Saint Hotel is opening this year not 2013. Also whats with the constant use of efforts to restore The Joy Theatre are pending? Reconstruction is underway as we speak and then calling the Loyola Streetcar Planned? Its under construction now. Someone is doing a little too much copy and pasting when writing these articles!

That said Im optimistic about the streets future and definitely think this is the main component that needs to be fixed.

As for the new Charity wasnt the design supposed to be released last Thursday? What happened to that?
Another small thing.... look at the diagram and you'll see that they switched the locations of the old Texaco building and bioinnovation center... I mean that's just poor editing TP.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:51 PM

Audubon Charter's Broadway campus renovation among requests before city review panel

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/09/a...-panel-monday/

"...The expansion design settled upon by architects, teachers and parents will extend the rear of the school building much closer to Pine Street. The city normally requires a 25-foot setback for a school’s backyard, but the design only provides 10 feet, so the school must appear before the city Board of Zoning Adjustments on Monday to request a waiver of the remaining 15 feet.....

....Also included on Monday’s docket, by neighborhood:

Audubon | An addition to a house that will reduce the side yard space at 17 Richmond Place, and permission for two houses on one lot at 6016 Annunciation.
Central City | Construction on lots that are too small for a duplex at 1413 S. Saratoga and for four-unit residences at 3922 Thalia and 2417 Freret.
Fontainebleau | Construction of a new duplex on too small a lot at 7019 Pritchard.
Gert Town | Construction of a duplex on too small a lot at 4824 Thalia.
Hollygrove | Construction of new duplexes on lots too small at 8807 Fig and 3112 Eagle. "

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Another small thing.... look at the diagram and you'll see that they switched the locations of the old Texaco building and bioinnovation center... I mean that's just poor editing TP.
I was amazed at how poorly the article was written. I even think the person was using words in the wrong context. Anyway, that usually happens when an editor is copy and pasting other articles to make the new one. Sorry its a just a bit annoying especially when anyone on this board could write an article far more informative than that one in about 20 minutes!

New Permit taken out by Gibbs Construction today to begin work on the Civic Theatre on Baronne:

547 BARONNE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70113
Project Description:
Interior demolition of existintg theatre building. Plans and subsequent permit to follow for renovations.
Owner:
Civic Theater, LLC ER
547 BARONNE ST. SUITE 100
NEW ORLEANS LA 70113
Job Value($):
$30,000.00Number of Buildings:

Heres the permit for the renovation itself:
Work Location 547 BARONNE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70113

Project Description:
General renovations to existing theater buiding, as per plans and HDLC C of A # . Theatre to be restored to original use with new restrooms, concession areas, box office, tech booth, seating; renovated backstage area, new exterior loading ramp in north alley and new steps and landing in south alley.
Owner:
Civic Theater, LLC
547 BARONNE ST. SUITE 100
NEW ORLEANS LA 70113
Job Value($):
$2,000,000.00Number of Buildings:

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 7:36 PM

Civic

Sweeeet!!!!!

Is there any article about this recently? I knew Gibbs intended to do this eventuallly but I had no idea the time has come.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 7:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Sweeeet!!!!!

Is there any article about this recently? I knew Gibbs intended to do this eventuallly but I had no idea the time has come.
Havent heard or read anything so I was quite surprised to see it as well. But since it has HDLC approval Ill see what I can dig up!

New Item on Bidclerk for a Festival and Recreation Complex in City Park:
1705681 New Orleans, LA Fitness / Rec Centers 09/12/2011
Description City Park Festival & Recreation Complex Bid Opening Date : 10/11/2011 Bid Opening Time : 2:00 P.M. CT Date Issued : 9/9/2011 CITY PARK FESTIVAL & RECREATION COMPLEX

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Plaza Tower is going to auction September 20 and Ive had an oppurtunity to talk to two of the bidders. The building will certainly have better days ahead is all I can say
I know it's not polite to share secrets, but can you just give us a hint about what the bidders seem to have in mind for the old Plaza Tower: offices? apartments? condos? or other?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:02 AM

Hopefully "no vacancy" offices and some residential.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 2:11 PM

Alamo Underground moving to Freret

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/09/t...-fall-meeting/

"A shuttered Mid-City entertainment venue will be resurrected this fall on Freret Street, bringing late-night bagels and an eclectic mix of performances to the same block of buildings that already hosts a comedy theater and bar.

The Alamo Underground was a performance space in Bayou St. John for about six years before a roof collapse this past April......

Exterior of new spot on Freret, taken from Uptown Messenger who gives Alamo's facebook page credit...geez

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 2:15 PM

Johnny V's on Magazine

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/09/p...ected-tuesday/

I'd love to see this back in commerce...so long as I can remember it's just been a creepy, vacant building next to Monkey Hill. Kills me that Audobon Riverside is freaking out about parking and that they wanted to have seating upstairs because it'd be too busy, etc...that's such a sleepy part of Magazine at night...it's not like it's going to turn it into the LGD section of magazine where parking is an absolute bitch. Vacant building...prosperous restaurant?

"Planning commission decision on Johnny V's expected Tuesday

The City Planning Commission is expected to make a decision Tuesday on whether to allow the proposed Johnny V’s restaurant on Magazine Street to open with a number of changes made to the building without the city’s permission......."

Credit: robert morris w/ uptownmessenger

Last edited by IceCream; Sep 13, 2011 at 2:16 PM. Reason: credit

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 2:19 PM

Receivables Exchange

I know this is not particularly development news, but it could mean the beginning of a sizable financial industry forming in New Orleans. This company is on fire right now:

New York Stock Exchange partners with Receivables Exchange

In a deal that both raises the state's business profile and more closely links New Orleans to major capital markets like New York and Chicago, the New York Stock Exchange is acquiring ownership in the Receivables Exchange and will join with the local firm in trading accounts receivable. Together the parties are launching the Corporate Receivables Program, which will be marketed by the both the Receivables Exchange and the NYSE and made available to companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange and other large firms.

The deal will be publicly announced today, with Receivables Exchange officials appearing on Wall Street to ring the exchange's closing bell.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ge_invest.html

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:06 PM
-

Wow... hopefully this means a continued growth here in New Orleans.

The Johnny Vs article just shows why businesses are flocking to Freret etc. People actually want businesses to open in those areas. As the city starts to develop more alternative commcercial corridors look for this type of attitude to shoot Magazine in the foot! All the new venues will be elsewhere!

Business is like water and it seek areas of least resistance!

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 13, 2011 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I know it's not polite to share secrets, but can you just give us a hint about what the bidders seem to have in mind for the old Plaza Tower: offices? apartments? condos? or other?
Its really premature to say anything other than these investors are not second rate and that if they do acquire the property things will progress rather quickly. If things work out I may be a part of it as well! Assuming they won of course.

BTW the AIA New Orleans is doing a tour of The Saratoga Building this evening at 530-7. I plan to check it out!

New Performing Arts Venue in Garden District called The Old Warehouse

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Its really premature to say anything other than these investors are not second rate and that if they do acquire the property things will progress rather quickly. If things work out I may be a part of it as well! Assuming they won of course.

BTW the AIA New Orleans is doing a tour of The Saratoga Building this evening at 530-7. I plan to check it out!

New Performing Arts Venue in Garden District called The Old Warehouse

It seems like just in the last few weeks, we've been in a mini-boom with projects being announced and/or coming to fruition. This one in particular is really impressive.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 9:03 PM

Any idea where exactly the Old Warehouse is?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ogh_no_11.html

I really hope this building can be saved, moved, or otherwise incorporated into the new hospital somehow. I know I've seen bigger buildings than this one moved before, so the only thing I fear is that the cost would be too great.

P.S. - Wouldn't it make a great new Civil Courthouse?

According to an interview on Fox8 today, the executive director of the BioDistrict said the school will not be demolished and is for sure going to be moved down Tulane Avenue to a vacant lot.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 1:26 AM
-

Just got back from the AIA tour of the Saratoga Building. Lots of interesting concepts utilized in there, but all in all wasnt a fan of the finishes! Tiled carpet just doesnt work for me!

But still great to see a building like that being put back into commerce. Also, he mentioned three restaurants were interested in the smaller of the two commercial spaces and that he has another business for the 6000 sqft space!

ALso Mr Wisznia said that the next project The Garage will be getting going soon!

http://thegarageneworleans.com/

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 14, 2011 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:08 AM
Ex Houstonian

Hey guys, I just found out that I for sure start my new job here in LA on Monday, to celebrate I think Ill go to New Orleans either tomorrow or Thursday. I want to spend the night, probably will find a campground or something near the city to spend the night in. Anyways, it will be my first time to New Orleans and Im pretty excited, just hope its safe enough to be walking around at night with camera equipment, Ive heard it can be quite dangerous after dark in the French Quarter, but maybe thats just suburbanites talking. I hope to move to New Orleans in about half a year so Ill have plenty of time to explore the city hopefully in the near future. But, I sure do like Lafayette and the Cajun culture here; maybe Ill just stay here, its just lacking in the urban department a little but its for sure my favorite place Ive ever lived so far. Theres so much incredible history in this state, it will keep me busy for years. For example, this is just 1 mile down the road from me, sorry, I know this isnt the place for this post, but Im just so excited about living here as Ive been stuck in the Houston suburbs/small towns my whole life.

St. Johns Catholic Church, Lafayette, photo by me.

Last edited by photoLith; Sep 14, 2011 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:29 AM
-

I think its great you are loving the state so much. Be sure to check out Avery Island(where Tabasco sauce is made) while your in Cajun Country. As far as being safe in New Orleans with camera equipment after dark, I think the normal rules of any city apply. You should be fine!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:36 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Ive been to Avery Island and last night I was in St. Martinville, where the first Acadians came and I surprised to see that many buildings from the 1830s-60s were still hanging around in the town, along with the 1840 Catholic church. Pretty amazing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations