HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 2:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkazaam View Post
What vacant lot? It goes straight from being pocket park to old buildings as you go downtown. I was worried this building would go on top of the historic buildings where Jim Russels Records is located.
you only see it on your way Uptown as this part of Magazine is a one way

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWave View Post
If it would have been a P.F. Chang's I would be a happy man. I live around the corner and think that'd be a great addition to the area.
hey guys,
I've been reading the thread for a while and decided to finally post. There were questions about the Warehouse District Dixie Welding building under renovation. It is going to be a steakhouse developed by a Tulane alumni. You can read the article below.

http://freemanblog.freeman.tulane.ed...09/prime-time/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 3:58 PM

Great find, thanks for the article.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 5:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgert View Post
hey guys,
I've been reading the thread for a while and decided to finally post. There were questions about the Warehouse District Dixie Welding building under renovation. It is going to be a steakhouse developed by a Tulane alumni. You can read the article below.

http://freemanblog.freeman.tulane.ed...09/prime-time/
Thanks for the info.

Btw that article is a really uplifting, inspiring story!

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 20, 2011 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 8:50 PM

Audubon Hotel Renovation!!!

http://http://neworleanscitybusiness...t-attractions/

"The resurrection of the Audubon Hotel on lower St. Charles Avenue is no longer a rumor. A team of developers, including former 2nd District Assessor Claude Mauberret, is redeveloping the property at 1225 St. Charles Ave. into a 28-room European-style boutique hotel with a high-end bar on the ground floor. The developers have not selected a ..."

WOOOT!!

SlidellWX, can you post the rest of the story...you seem to be the only one with a citybusiness subscription!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://http://neworleanscitybusiness...t-attractions/

"The resurrection of the Audubon Hotel on lower St. Charles Avenue is no longer a rumor. A team of developers, including former 2nd District Assessor Claude Mauberret, is redeveloping the property at 1225 St. Charles Ave. into a 28-room European-style boutique hotel with a high-end bar on the ground floor. The developers have not selected a ..."

WOOOT!!

SlidellWX, can you post the rest of the story...you seem to be the only one with a citybusiness subscription!
Not the only one.

Neighbors hope Audubon Hotel renovations will bring tourists to area
Former Assessor Claude Mauberret is leading developers on the $1.9 million overhaul
POSTED: 02:23 PM Wednesday, April 20, 2011
BY: Richard A. Webster, Staff Writer
TAGS: Audubon Hotel, Bob Rue, Claude Mauberret, Debbie Strobel, Emeril’s Delmonico, Heirloom Furnishings, Nel Johnson, New Orleans Auction St. Charles Gallery, Prima Donna’s Closet, Sante Fe Tapas, Sarouk Shop Oriental Rugs

The resurrection of the Audubon Hotel on lower St. Charles Avenue is no longer a rumor.

(photo by Frank Aymami)

A team of developers, including former 2nd District Assessor Claude Mauberret, is redeveloping the property at 1225 St. Charles Ave. into a 28-room European-style boutique hotel with a high-end bar on the ground floor. The developers have not selected a management company to run the hotel but the room rates will run less than $200 per night.

The $1.9 million project is expected to be complete by the end of the year, Mauberret said. The difficult economy delayed work on the hotel, which has been shuttered since before Hurricane Katrina.

Debbie Strobel, owner of Heirloom Furnishings at 1400 St. Charles Ave., greeted news of the hotel’s comeback with relief. She called the blighted property a “huge eyesore.”

“The hotels that are open, their customers are coming in (her store). So obviously for the past several years, the Audubon’s customers have not,” Strobel said.

Nel Johnson, vice president of Prima Donna’s Closet, a clothing store across the street from the hotel, said tourists continually ask her about the building’s status.

“I had a couple in here just last week. They come to New Orleans at least once a year and they asked when they are ever going to do something with that hotel. It’s an awesome historic building,” Johnson said. “I can’t wait for it to open.”

The addition of another working hotel in
the area will help businesses, but lower St. Charles Avenue is plagued by far more problems than the empty Audubon Hotel, said Bob Rue, owner of Sarouk Shop Oriental Rugs. Business suffers because there is little in the area to attract tourists or locals.

After La Madeleine Café moved out of 1327 St. Charles Ave. following Katrina, the location sat empty for years until Sante Fe Tapas moved in before Mardi Gras.

At the corner of St. Charles and Melpomene avenues, the two-story building that was once home to Taqueros Mexican restaurant also has failed to find a steady tenant.

Emeril’s Delmonico is not open for lunch and New Orleans Auction St. Charles Gallery at 1330 St. Charles Ave. is closing at the end of April, consolidating operations to its main building at Magazine and Julia streets.

“I don’t get a lot of trade out of the KFC or the Popeye’s, which are the local gourmet delights. And there are not a whole lot of people living between Baronne and Claiborne that have any money,” Rue said. “If they shut down the stop light out in front of my shop, I’m dead. The stop light is one of the only things in the area that sells me rugs because people stop and look at the bait I got hanging on the door.”

Part of the problem that lower St. Charles Avenue struggles with is visual, Strobel said.

“Uptown is mostly residential, but we’re not, so we don’t have any mansions stuck between our buildings. That’s part of the charm. We have Wendy’s and Popeye’s and Office Depot. You have to spruce up the charm factor.”

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 11:40 PM

Another big win for Freret Street...I'm thinking in about 2-3 years we will see Freret looking a lot like the improved Oak Street. I think they're supposed to be starting streetscape improvements this month along with a plethora of new restaurants opening up by summer.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/04/f...in-its-future/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Nope, I just whipped it up in Illustrator... it's an idea I've been kicking around, vaguely inspired by Pittsburgh's system. I think it's a decent way to create a regional system that's pretty realistic given the size of our city. It aims to serve the relatively small number of places in Orleans/Jefferson that can support dense development - the Claiborne corridor, Lakeside, the Airline corridor, and the Tulane corridor. The only truly-ambitious part is the river tunnel, but you could design the tunnel so buses and light-rail trams can share it (again, based on a Pittsburgh example).

The pre-Katrina plan for light rail had the tracks running along the Amtrak line into the UPT, which runs in a tight right-of-way between I-10 and a bunch of industrial properties. I dunno if there's enough room there, and besides, it's a terrible place to put a transit line, especially if you want intermediate stations at, say, Broad and Jeff Davis. It would be much better in the median of Tulane. Also, a light-rail line down Claiborne would provide a pretty fast way to get from downtown/medical district to Uptown, Tulane, and Riverbend (~25 min vs ~50 min by St. Charles streetcar).

I'd rather put the LRT down St. Charles itself, but the vintage streetcar there is too important to the city's history and tourism, even if its agonizingly slow and sucks for commutes.
I completely agree on pre-K plan not being the most desirable.

There is a much better route for a light rail to take in my opinion and one that would help provide some much needed revitalization to a number of struggling neighborhoods.

It would involve us acting on a plan that has been languishing for a couple of years now that would close the Washington Av canal. It's almost identical to the one currently under way on the west bank in Algiers.

You could take the line from Amtrak to Washington Av where it would:

-- Help revitalize the Gert Town neighborhood.
-- Help revitalize the Pigeon Town neighborhood.
-- Make Xavier a much more attractive and accessible college (Translation: dramatically increase enrollment and thus accelerate their master plan and their acquisition of the blighted property that dots it's footprint and surrounds its campus),
-- Allow for the guy who owns Lakeside Mall (Jeffrey Feil) to bring in better tenants than the current big box retailers that are due to inhabit the former Carrollton Shopping Center (Best Buy, Bed, Bath & Beyond and Kohl's along with a Bonefish Grill, Starbucks and Cap One Bank - they are all waiting on the city to award the contract to improve the intersection which should happen in June).
-- Revitalize the Hollygrove neighborhood.

You could then take it down Airline where your right of way issues would be far less and your fly over issues would be non-existent, thus reducing the cost per mile.

There is already a project out there to close the Canal so it's not like it hasn't been considered before.

A new project which would allow for the line to run thru this corridor just needs a champion, some funding at the federal level and a Governor who wouldn't refuse the light rail funds.

Piece of cake, right?

Also, there will be no theater at the new Carrollton development. Waaay to much traffic for that intersection, which is by far the most porrly designed and thought out of any I've ever seen.

It's mind-boggling someone allowed that to be built.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 6:31 AM
TL;DR

Huh... interesting tenant mix. I wonder if the big-box stores there will kill the attempts to bring big-box to the Power Plant site or the Iberville site. Glad to get a Kohl's... I shop there a lot back in Chicago where it's convenient. Here, Covington is farther than I'm willing to drive for Kohl's. I'm less excited about Bonefish. It's a pretty meh restaurant. I'd much rather get something interesting there. A Mellow Mushroom and/or Chipotle would be awesome.

Cramming so much into a small site will probably require some compromises with parking. Hopefully they use the land efficiently and try to bring in some pedestrians from the Hollygrove/Xavier/Tulane Corridor area.

Of course, the Carrollton Shopping Center might as well be Jefferson Parish. It's walking distance to Old Metairie (not that there are sidewalks...)

EDIT: Found some renderings. I'm guessing the design has changed somewhat, considering that no bookstore chain in the country is expanding right now. It's pretty terrible site planning (it doesn't have a "main street") but at least the facades look attractive. It reminds me of the Robert Fresh Market on Claiborne.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 21, 2011 at 6:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 6:47 AM

Thanks for posting the Audubon Hotel article Rev! I work crazy hours, so I didn't see the article till a few minutes ago (2 AM). Great project for that section of St. Charles.

Some of the other projects happening now are very exciting as well. I loved the steakhouse article. I also wish Gibbs would have built the project on Magazine. A friend of mine used to live in the row of condos right behind this lot on Felicity. That lot is a huge eyesore to say the least.

I'm also glad to hear the Carrollton Shopping Center development is finally moving forward. I don't mind the stores, since they will probably in some form of urban format and are badly needed in the city.

How much would the covering of the Washington Ave. canal cost? I like the idea of running LRT above the canal, but does the city have the money for this project.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 6:55 AM

Can I ask you what your city is building for the poor. I mean sure they got hard hit here, but so did everyone else on the social hierarchy. Sometimes it sounds like all people are ever concerned with are the poor folks. Trust me everyone down here in New Orleans could use some help. Furthermore, New Orleans didn't invent poor folks. They are in every city in this country. What we need ot do is create enoguh economic oppurtunity here so that those that are poorer can move up the economic ladder. We dont need to build wholesale housing projects in a city already starved for revenue.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelans View Post
Can I ask you what your city is building for the poor. I mean sure they got hard hit here, but so did everyone else on the social hierarchy. Sometimes it sounds like all people are ever concerned with are the poor folks. Trust me everyone down here in New Orleans could use some help. Furthermore, New Orleans didn't invent poor folks. They are in every city in this country. What we need ot do is create enoguh economic oppurtunity here so that those that are poorer can move up the economic ladder. We dont need to build wholesale housing projects in a city already starved for revenue.
can I ask why your quoting me from several years ago?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Huh... interesting tenant mix. I wonder if the big-box stores there will kill the attempts to bring big-box to the Power Plant site or the Iberville site. Glad to get a Kohl's... I shop there a lot back in Chicago where it's convenient. Here, Covington is farther than I'm willing to drive for Kohl's. I'm less excited about Bonefish. It's a pretty meh restaurant. I'd much rather get something interesting there. A Mellow Mushroom and/or Chipotle would be awesome.

Cramming so much into a small site will probably require some compromises with parking. Hopefully they use the land efficiently and try to bring in some pedestrians from the Hollygrove/Xavier/Tulane Corridor area.

Of course, the Carrollton Shopping Center might as well be Jefferson Parish. It's walking distance to Old Metairie (not that there are sidewalks...)

EDIT: Found some renderings. I'm guessing the design has changed somewhat, considering that no bookstore chain in the country is expanding right now. It's pretty terrible site planning (it doesn't have a "main street") but at least the facades look attractive. It reminds me of the Robert Fresh Market on Claiborne.
Part of the reason this design was rejected is the surface parking... so I dont think we have up to date renderings... ALso someone asked earlier if this development will hurt the search for tenants at the power plant... I doubt it will as there is plenty of demand for more than one location of these stores in the city but also there are many other teanants that wont be at this location

Bid on bidclerk for a new building /renovation on Loyola's Campus

[New project.] 1067525 New Orleans, LA Educational, Office, Religious / Funeral 04/21/2011
Description Renovation of an existing educational development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of an existing 36,000-square-foot library in order to house a chapel, classroom and office space. Construction is tentatively expected...Click here for complete Project Details

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 4:08 PM

Loyola

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Bid on bidclerk for a new building /renovation on Loyola's Campus

[New project.] 1067525 New Orleans, LA Educational, Office, Religious / Funeral 04/21/2011
Description Renovation of an existing educational development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of an existing 36,000-square-foot library in order to house a chapel, classroom and office space. Construction is tentatively expected...Click here for complete Project Details

That's the old library on the academic quad behind Marquette.

It's the building that Tom Benson recently donated $8 million for so it'll now be the "benson religious center" or something like that....

For years campus politics kept it empty. The art dept wanted it but the theatre dept threw a fit bc they wanted. There was so much infighting about it the administration said 'screw it no one gets it.'

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 5:01 PM
-

Sounds like the theatre department lol...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 6:51 PM

Drama @ loyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Sounds like the theatre department lol...
Yeah....drama...being a business student and what I consider myself to be "reasonable" I don't think I could handle being a professor, as much as I'd like to.

While Loyola is certainly functionable, I had no idea the size and scale of campus politics until I become heavily involved in student government. You think that the Repubs and Dems are bad....put yourself in a university environment...holy shit. If they could get over some of the dumb stuff that place would be lightyears ahead by now. There was a 4 month row (maybe 6) over the placement of the "center for intercultural understanding" which never got used anyway.... but when it was recommended to move them to a better location (in my mind) they freaked that the university hated black people. I wanted to punch them, freaking idiots.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 7:41 PM
-

Not too big a deal but I noticed the Hilton Garden Inn in the Warehouse District had its exterior repainted. Looks much better since it was looking pretty bad recently.

BTW rode my bike to Wendesday at the Square yesterday. They have a free valet service for bicycles... such a great idea and it seems plenty of people used it!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 7:43 PM

I nice to hear that some development is planned for the Carrollton Shopping Center. I wonder if 5 Best Buys are too much for a city this size, but we need something in the city. Are these the only supposed tenants or will there be more?

I recently heard someone rambling on about Ikea looking to build in Covington, supposedly they are "in the know". None of us took him seriously, however.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 7:44 PM
TL;DR

Yeah... university politics are really pretty bad - most of the arguments are about stuff that is, in the end, not terribly important, so people have no incentive to reach compromise. They'd rather just nurse a grudge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I nice to hear that some development is planned for the Carrollton Shopping Center. I wonder if 5 Best Buys are too much for a city this size, but we need something in the city. Are these the only supposed tenants or will there be more?

I recently heard someone rambling on about Ikea looking to build in Covington, supposedly they are "in the know". None of us took him seriously, however.
Oh god, I hope not. Why would Ikea want to go to Covington and put themselves 20 miles away from all the people in tiny apartments and shotguns in the city who could use cheap furniture to help them organize? I'd rather see them go by the power plant, but it might also work at Gentilly Woods.

I don't think 5 Best Buys are too much, but I do think 2 Best Buys is too much for Vets... spread 'em around. Of course, they only opened at Lakeside because they got a really good deal when Circuit City folded.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:05 PM
-

A new home is finally in sight for school system central operations in Jefferson Parish

http://www.nola.com/education/index....tml#incart_mce

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations