HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 3:22 PM

There is actually a square plot already there, about 100 feet on each side, oriented diagonally and framed completely by curb. there is even service conduit sticking up in the middle. I wondered what was going there when I visited earlier.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 4:56 PM

The new Best Western hotel on the corner of Commodore and Burnside Drive (opening Spring 2008 says the sign -- yeah, right) is almost completely finished on the outside. Drive by it and tell me if it isn't one of the worst renditions of faux-stone and brick you have ever seen. I think there was even some vertical metal cladding there too. It really is a poke in the eye to look at -- quite unfortunate. It's like designers either don't know how to use these materials properly, or don't care.

OTOH, just back up the street a ways is the new office building being erected in the area between the existing Ramada and related office blocks and the retail strip mall along Burnside Drive that ends at the corner with Commodore. It is really nice looking. they have clad it in some mid-brown brick, framed each of the window bays in a lighhter-colored precast that looks almost like sandstone, and the result is very eye-pleasing. It is such a contrast to the hotel in how to use materials properly.

If I have a chance I'll try to get some pics of each.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The new Best Western hotel on the corner of Commodore and Burnside Drive (opening Spring 2008 says the sign -- yeah, right) is almost completely finished on the outside. Drive by it and tell me if it isn't one of the worst renditions of faux-stone and brick you have ever seen. I think there was even some vertical metal cladding there too. It really is a poke in the eye to look at -- quite unfortunate. It's like designers either don't know how to use these materials properly, or don't care.

OTOH, just back up the street a ways is the new office building being erected in the area between the existing Ramada and related office blocks and the retail strip mall along Burnside Drive that ends at the corner with Commodore. It is really nice looking. they have clad it in some mid-brown brick, framed each of the window bays in a lighhter-colored precast that looks almost like sandstone, and the result is very eye-pleasing. It is such a contrast to the hotel in how to use materials properly.

If I have a chance I'll try to get some pics of each.
In Burmside no one really cares about the look of a building. There are some ugly buildings hidden in that park.

Are you referring to the Park Place V? If so its nice to know its coming along nicely. Th last time I was by it, it was just metal beams.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:46 PM

Some news in the Burnside News today:
Quote:
• Dartmouth Crossing has its wish. The mega-retail development wanted a six-storey building to finish off its main street fashion district and act as a visual balance to the Empire Theatre on the opposite end of the view plane. The problem with this plan was that only the first floor of the building would be retail while the other five floors would be office space. This brought it into conflict with municipal planning strategies, so it applied for an exemption. The first two tries were rejected, but the third time proved the charm. Council approved the exemption, despite strenuous objections by the Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission (DDBC) and the disapproval of its own staff. The decision was confirmed again when council denied an appeal by the DDBC.
Quote:
• The latest addition to the ever-growing Dartmouth Crossing got underway recently when blasting started for the new Costco location. Costco was one of the first companies confirmed to have purchased land in the development, but several delays pushed back the start date of the store’s construction. The new operation is reported to be slightly larger than its sister store in Halifax and is expected to be complete later this year. Also joining the development this summer are Starbucks, Java Factory, Second Cup, Swiss Chalet, Moxie’s Classic Grill, Baton Rouge, Subway, Life Salon Spa, Allstate Insurance and CIBC. A&W is currently advertising for a franchise partner for a Dartmouth Crossing location and the Hampton Inn hotel is under construction, with an anticipated opening in 2009

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:24 AM

"The latest addition to the ever-growing Dartmouth Crossing got underway recently when blasting started for the new Costco location. Costco was one of the first companies confirmed to have purchased land in the development, but several delays pushed back the start date of the store’s construction. The new operation is reported to be slightly larger than its sister store in Halifax and is expected to be complete later this year. Also joining the development this summer are Starbucks, Java Factory, Second Cup, Swiss Chalet, Moxie’s Classic Grill, Baton Rouge, Subway, Life Salon Spa, Allstate Insurance and CIBC. A&W is currently advertising for a franchise partner for a Dartmouth Crossing location and the Hampton Inn hotel is under construction, with an anticipated opening in 2009"

Still no Tim Hortons? What gives???

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Still no Tim Hortons? What gives???
This is the only area of town i can think of without a Tims its so strange. I had a look at their map and the only possible area for a Tim's is next to Costco which isn;t built yet so its still posible...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 5:41 PM

List Update

An updated list on their website for stores opening soon:

Allstate
Baton Rouge
Beaners Fun Cuts for Kids
CIBC
Java Factory
Moxie's Classic Grill
Second Cup
Subway
Costco*
Future Shop*
*They didn't have these two stores on thier list but i believe they haven't opened yet so i added them.

The phase two stores near Empire Theatres are coming along nicely and most of the outsides are finished so some stores may open later this summer or this fall. And blasting has begun for the Costco site.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 3:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was down at Dartmouth Crossing the other day. It's quite the development (although not quite as busy as I thought it would be, perhaps it was because it was the middle of the week).

Anyway, in phase two of the development (under construction between the completed phase one and the Empire Theatre), one of the storefronts that they are building looks for all the world like another Chapters store. Does anyone know if a Chapters is being planned for Dartmouth Crossing and if so, what does this mean for the existing Chapters at Micmac Mall?

Thanks for any information.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 5:55 AM

I've had a look at both the Chapters website and DC's website and there is no mention of Chapters, but then again they have no stores listed for Phase II despite the fact the buildings are going up and should be ready realitivly soon.

If this building does turn into a Chapters store, though, it is possible both could stay open. Bedford has two book stores of the same company (Coles and Indigo) right across the street from each other so it is possible for both to survive but due to the size not likely. The section of Mic Mac that houses Chapters is already losing Future Shop (this fall) so it would spell bad news.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 3:26 PM

Pretty much all of the medium sized storefronts in Dartmouth Crossing are of that same design, so it's quite possible it just looks like a Chapters.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 7:02 PM

September 20, 2008

Coming Soon:
Allstate
Baton Rouge
Beaners Fun Cuts for Kids
CIBC
Moxie's Classic Grill
Second Cup
Subway
Sam's Seafood Express
Wok Box -Fresh Asian Kitchen
Starbucks
Costco
Futureshop
The Source by Circuit City
Hampton Inn & Suites

Pictures (all taken by me):

Grassy Brook Bridge

Phase II stores

Hampton Inn & Suites south-side

Phase I completed stores

Hampton Inn & Suites north-side

Wright Avenue

Empire Theatres

Southern view towards Mic Mac/Woodland Ave

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 10:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Why is it taking so long to open the phase 2 stores? It seems to me that the buildings have been finished (at least on the outside) for months now. What's the hold up? Are they waiting for all the retailers to be ready at the same time so that they can have a joint grand opening?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 10:10 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Why is it taking so long to open the phase 2 stores? It seems to me that the buildings have been finished (at least on the outside) for months now. What's the hold up? Are they waiting for all the retailers to be ready at the same time so that they can have a joint grand opening?
Whats odd about it is I actually haven't heard tell of what retailers are even supposed to move into those spaces.

And as a side note, the frame of costco is now going up.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 1:17 AM

I've cheked their website and theres nothing on these stores. If I had to guees I'd say more clothing stores (maybe mens/children since the ladies are on the other side of the bridge).

I noticed that frame. Unfortunately it was busy and if u dont pay attention u'll rear end another car there so i didnt get a picture. It was a small frame but i imagine it'll get a lot bigger.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 1:07 PM

Developers hope to mix business, pleasure and home
JENNIFER TAPLIN, METRO HALIFAX
September 24, 2008 05:00

Imagine living so close to work you could almost touch it.

North American Development Group, which owns Dartmouth Crossing, submitted an application to the city for a zoning request so they can add a residential component. It would cozy up the City of Lakes office park.

“There are key advantages to that: They’re right next to Shubie Park, next to commercial areas, and it would reduce the need for transit because people are more able to walk to where they work,” said East Dartmouth-The Lakes Coun. Andrew Younger.

Yesterday, council discussed how to best manage business parks as they approved in principle their functional plan for Burnside and neighbouring Dartmouth Crossing. Younger added an amendment to call for public consultation on mixing the commercial and the residential in Dartmouth Crossing.

The functional plan looks at making sure the appropriate businesses are in the right spots within Burnside.

“Burnside has everything from heavy industrial scrap yards to offices,” Younger said. “We want to make sure those rules are followed so you don’t end up with a meat-packing district next to an office building.”

All business parks will be included in an overall business-park management plan, which should be finished in about eight months.

With Burnside now taken care of, the next park on the agenda will be Bayers Lake.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 10:27 PM

November 15, 2008

Drove around some today didn't take many pictures but heres some updates;

Quote:
New Stores Opening Soon

Alberto Lorenzo Decor
CIBC
Costco
Hampton Inn & Suites
Moxie's Classic Grill
Sam's Seafood Express
Starbucks
Subway
The Source by Circuit City
The shops in Phase III are complete on the outside. Still no indication of what stores are going to open there.

Future Shop is now open. Work continues on Costco and its neighbours.

Hampton Inn & Suites is expected to open in Spring '09;

Credit: Me

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 10:45 PM
You talkin' to me?

Honestly, can they stop making these hotels so hideous looking? The worst thing is that this one, and the ones built at the airport are all in highly visible areas, but just look plain bad .

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 11:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Honestly, can they stop making these hotels so hideous looking? The worst thing is that this one, and the ones built at the airport are all in highly visible areas, but just look plain bad .
It's all cookie cutter architecture. Your new Hampton Inn is identical to the one they just built here in Moncton. Both hotels have been built in power centre districts to boot. Do I detect a pattern here?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 1:02 AM

^This one looks even worse than the airport ones because of the huge ugly gravel pile on the highway side.

On thing I have to say about DC though is that they dealt with the traffic issues very well. The busiest part is the line up near Wal-Mart and well that isn't too bad because of the numerous lanes there.

On a side note does anyone know when they might start on that office building approved awhile back? With the building their village feel will be complete and there won't be a gravel pit there any more...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 8:10 PM

Have a look at these maps of Burnside and Bayers lake future land use provided by HRM business parks.

http://www.halifax.ca/business_parks...se_Jul08_1.pdf

http://www.halifax.ca/business_parks...sePlanOct8.pdf

They are from the Business Parks Functional Plan Website.

http://www.halifax.ca/business_parks...ionalPlan.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs