HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Sometimes my art skills amaze even myself, but here you go lol:

Mr. Jackson has some other pictures on his website if you click the photo on his post above
That's awesome! Thanks!

I know just where it is now.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Speeding cyclists warned to slow down on Moncton trail
New sign on Riverfront Trail flashes speed if cyclist is travelling faster than 15 km/h
Kate Letterick · CBC News · Posted: Jun 07, 2021 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ails-1.6053919

CBC photo

Interesting to see a speed limit sign for bicycles.
I thought I would post this here (originally from the [Moncton] Active Transport Thread) to provoke some discussion. How do you guys feel about speed limits for cyclists on Halifax bike paths and trails?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:40 PM

If it's a shared use pathway it makes sense, and indeed pathways here do have speed limits.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I thought I would post this here (originally from the [Moncton] Active Transport Thread) to provoke some discussion. How do you guys feel about speed limits for cyclists on Halifax bike paths and trails?
My thoughts:

- The sign is just a suggestion for cyclists to limit their speed, as there is no mention of monitoring, enforcement or penalties for cyclists who don't obey the limit.

- Some cyclists will probably use it as a tool to see how fast they can go - I think the temptation would be too great to not use it as such. Hopefully if they do, they will do it when pedestrians are not walking there.

- I don't know what volume of cyclists vs joggers/pedestrians use the trail, but IMHO they should build a parallel trail for pedestrians, to separate bikes from walkers/runners. Even at a lowly 15 km/h, there is a lot of momentum carried by a cyclist that could do real damage to both - even if it's just a cyclist grazing an elderly person and knocking them over. I did some walking on the shared trail by the Ottawa River, and had a few close calls with bikes speeding up behind my and whizzing by (close enough that I could feel the wind when they passed) without bothering to use the bell as a warning. Even though I didn't experience a bike running into me, it sure took away from the enjoyment of a nice evening stroll by the riverside...

- That said, there should be some sort of speed limit on all trails, including Halifax, for the considerate cyclists to follow, even if there are no penalties/enforcement. There needs to be some limitation on speed when bicycles and pedestrians are sharing the same path, but separation of paths is the best, just like separated lanes for bikes and car traffic is the safest solution.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:45 PM

Halifax greenways have a posted speed limit of 20km/h. It's only specified on new signage and is phrased as "Travel at a safe speed (20km/h). There's no enforcement and the limit matches other jurisdictions. I remember from my time in Calgary the main trails there are patrolled and they will ticket you.

15km/h seems artifically low for a safe travel speed. At 20km/h unless the trail is exceptionally windy, narrow or hilly it allows plenty of notice and a safe passing area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Halifax greenways have a posted speed limit of 20km/h. It's only specified on new signage and is phrased as "Travel at a safe speed (20km/h). There's no enforcement and the limit matches other jurisdictions. I remember from my time in Calgary the main trails there are patrolled and they will ticket you.

15km/h seems artifically low for a safe travel speed. At 20km/h unless the trail is exceptionally windy, narrow or hilly it allows plenty of notice and a safe passing area.
Sounds reasonable enough, though most cyclists won't know whether they are actually doing 20 km/h unless there is some sort of radar thingy there. Should be safe as long as pedestrians aren't present.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:26 AM

Why would cyclists respect speed limit rules when they disrespect all other rules of the road? There is no enforcement because they are not registered or licensed or otherwise held to account. It is a ridiculous double standard.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:03 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

No sprinters!

This ingenious idea should be applied to every sidewalk! 5kph tops for pedestrian should do the trick!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
No sprinters!

This ingenious idea should be applied to every sidewalk! 5kph tops for pedestrian should do the trick!
You know actually, that may be appreciated by people or areas where sidewalks are often coopted by cyclists skipping traffic and/or frequent HFX scooter corridors. (Also, let me know if this has been discussed elsewhere or isn't appropriate for this thread. I'm new and still learning this forum)

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 1:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian Laing View Post
You know actually, that may be appreciated by people or areas where sidewalks are often coopted by cyclists skipping traffic and/or frequent HFX scooter corridors. (Also, let me know if this has been discussed elsewhere or isn't appropriate for this thread. I'm new and still learning this forum)
Hey Hadrian,

Welcome to the forum.
Living in an area coopted by scooters and have bicycles. You are correct. This debate is a common one here, so please feel free to a to hop in, you'll see where the battle lines are drawn pretty quick.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Why would cyclists respect speed limit rules when they disrespect all other rules of the road? There is no enforcement because they are not registered or licensed or otherwise held to account. It is a ridiculous double standard.
Every day I ride my 2-ton bicycle to work. I have no license, so as far as the government is concerned, I don't exist. You know what that means: no rules. I accelerate to 75km/h. Helpless pedestrians as young as three scream and leap out of the way as I pay no attention to crosswalks. "Out of my way", I shout while cutting in front of oncoming traffic to make a left turn. The terrified motorists reply, "because of urbanism, I must comply".

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 11:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
There is no enforcement because they are not registered or licensed or otherwise held to account. It is a ridiculous double standard.
I've been pulled over on a bike before by police for 'not stopping properly at an intersection'. Take it up with your PD, i'd say.

The cars that park and drive in bike lanes, on the other hand...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I've been pulled over on a bike before by police for 'not stopping properly at an intersection'.
And what onerous punishment was imposed for your transgression? Suspension of your cycling license? A ticket attached to your bicycle registration preventing you from renewing until the fine was paid? An appearance in cycling court?

Since none of those things exist in reality, we are left with my original comment, still standing. If one uses the public roadways for any purpose, one must be able to be held accountable.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
If one uses the public roadways for any purpose, one must be able to be held accountable.
In cases where accidents occur, they're still accountable through civil action - which typically has much more significant consequences than a ticket anyway.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And what onerous punishment was imposed for your transgression? Suspension of your cycling license? A ticket attached to your bicycle registration preventing you from renewing until the fine was paid? An appearance in cycling court?

Since none of those things exist in reality, we are left with my original comment, still standing. If one uses the public roadways for any purpose, one must be able to be held accountable.

If you get any ticket, for illegal parking, use of an automobile or use of a bike, the tickets follow you. You won't be able to renew your driver's license....and there may be other methods of recovery which I do not know.

For someone who wants less government, your comments for more public servants on the street to run after pedestrians and cyclists are awkward.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
If you get any ticket, for illegal parking, use of an automobile or use of a bike, the tickets follow you. You won't be able to renew your driver's license....and there may be other methods of recovery which I do not know.

For someone who wants less government, your comments for more public servants on the street to run after pedestrians and cyclists are awkward.
Of course, if you don't have a drivers license, or conceal that fact, then the consequences are nil.

I want less useless govt, and for them to focus their resources on things that make a difference in people's daily lives, like this.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I want less useless govt, and for them to focus their resources on things that make a difference in people's daily lives, like this.
I want less useless government.

But!

I also want government to punish cyclists for not following rules of the road more than they currently do because they're clearly dangerous to society.

Gotcha.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I also want government to punish cyclists for not following rules of the road more than they currently do because they're clearly dangerous to society.

Exactly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-56320121

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
In reading the story I couldn't help but notice the charge of "wanton or furious driving". What a marvelous expression. Our statutory language is generally so bland and unimaginative in comparison.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 7:32 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post

Of course in reality, all the people that I've ever encountered who claim to want more less government just want the government to interference less with them and their priorities, but have no such concern on behalf of those with totally different or conflicting priorities. I remember once watching a youtube video about Houston's lax planning regulations and someone in the comments was talking about how they love living in Texas where everyone is so free and there's little government bureaucracy. Someone replied pointing out how Texas was very harsh with its wars on drugs with many people having their lives ruined for things as harmless as pot. The person, without any sense of irony, was like, "Oh well people shouldn't be doing that stuff. We don't want those kinds of people here 'cas all that stuff goes against the bible"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure