HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 3:31 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Amazing, my full-time tuition at Dal in 1976 was $780. No wonder tuition is so high, all those nice new buildings.
I dream of tuition rates that low haha-- with all the fees, levies, etc as well as tuition+ books, a year at Dal costs me around $8000.

Should have gone to NSCC for welding.... lol

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:12 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Amazing, my full-time tuition at Dal in 1976 was $780. No wonder tuition is so high, all those nice new buildings.
$1750 for a full course load in 1990. I took a language credit in 2007 and it cost $1700.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
I dream of tuition rates that low haha-- with all the fees, levies, etc as well as tuition+ books, a year at Dal costs me around $8000.

Should have gone to NSCC for welding.... lol
Makes ya think; what in 1976 cost $1 and now costs $10, what in 1976 cost $10 and now is $100
What in 1976 cost $800, and now costs $8,000? only tuition

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 11:27 PM

I was there around the same time as Jet. Once taking into account my scholarships and fellowships, I actually finished up making a bit of money from going to university - that is without any outside job.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 11:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's actually even worse because the average value of a degree has also fallen and minimum/low wages have been falling in real terms for years. That BA that costs $8000 a year really does not distinguish you much in the workforce and even if you take a retail job or something you are not going to be able to avoid debt unless you get other help. Top students can still do very well, but the people who previously might have just done pretty well in high school and then maybe or maybe not gotten a BA or something are much worse off paying tens of thousands before getting a low-paying white collar job.

This is going to have pretty bad consequences for the economy, particularly in the US (land of $40k tuition and no jobs) when it turns out that 32 year olds are still paying off student loans instead of buying cars and houses. And even if somebody at that age does buy a house, they'll be paying it off for a long time if they're in one of the more expensive housing markets.

I won't be surprised if, looking back in 30 years or so, there will be a marked decline in living standards between baby boomers and those who graduated around 2008 or so.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:56 PM

A couple "temporary shelters" were hauled into the parking lot of Risley Hall this morning, and there's a fence around the houses on the other side of the street.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I was there around the same time as Jet. Once taking into account my scholarships and fellowships, I actually finished up making a bit of money from going to university - that is without any outside job.
Well aren't you wonderul!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUB View Post
Well aren't you wonderul!
Well, yes.

Seriously, it was a combination of much lower tuition, and marks that earned a few awards and prizes.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:33 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Did you do it through good studying habits or were you able to do it without much effort?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:14 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's actually even worse because the average value of a degree has also fallen and minimum/low wages have been falling in real terms for years. That BA that costs $8000 a year really does not distinguish you much in the workforce and even if you take a retail job or something you are not going to be able to avoid debt unless you get other help. Top students can still do very well, but the people who previously might have just done pretty well in high school and then maybe or maybe not gotten a BA or something are much worse off paying tens of thousands before getting a low-paying white collar job.

This is going to have pretty bad consequences for the economy, particularly in the US (land of $40k tuition and no jobs) when it turns out that 32 year olds are still paying off student loans instead of buying cars and houses. And even if somebody at that age does buy a house, they'll be paying it off for a long time if they're in one of the more expensive housing markets.

I won't be surprised if, looking back in 30 years or so, there will be a marked decline in living standards between baby boomers and those who graduated around 2008 or so.
Very good analysis... I am one of those 2008 grads. I don't know what the long-term impact will be in living standards. Where is all this baby boomer money going to go? The whole occupy movement seems funny to me because it seems to be more generational than Wall Street specifically... middle-aged white people are the ones investing in the stock market. Sure, the gap has increased between the rich and poor, but it also has blown wide open on the young vs. the middle-aged (those older than the baby boomers are getting screwed).

As the most representative years of generation y we should see a transfer of alot of this wealth at some stage, unless it is all lost in investment.

Although I'm sure the composition of actual university graduates has increased in the workforce due to younger staffing... and credential inflation somewhat implies that more of us know more than the people we will replace. Eventually generation y will become the baby boomers, as they will all have died, regardless of what people think the paradigm shift is going to be, there will still be gaps in the age sex pyramid unless immigration fills that in.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:13 PM

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Thats a shame, I always liked the look of that roof.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:26 PM

What! The new residences were never going to take this spot. Check out page 22
http://www.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhou...ork%20Plan.pdf

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:29 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Thats a shame, I always liked the look of that roof.
It's one of the most unique roof lines in Halifax. The inside is quite beautiful as well. The wooden roof is stunning.

Source

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:00 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's not the cheapest building possible! Demolish it immediately!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:09 AM

The report on the news said the roof needed replacing and that the cost would be $4 million. They said it was too expensive, but that it would be replaced sometime in the next 5 years with a new facility somewhere else (which is sure to cost much more than $4 million).

I am feeling old as I remember that being built.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:55 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
The report on the news said the roof needed replacing and that the cost would be $4 million. They said it was too expensive, but that it would be replaced sometime in the next 5 years with a new facility somewhere else (which is sure to cost much more than $4 million).

Hopefully the new arena will also have some architectural merit.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:01 AM

That's a real shame, I was always so excited when I had games here as a kid. Definitely my favorite rink in the city to play in. I think they've had problems with the roof almost since it was built. When I spoke to the Dal rep at Vivacity, I asked him how they were going to make the new residence work with the rink, he sighed and said they were still trying to work a few things out.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:49 AM

Weird that they would do that without getting a new home for the hockey team first

Guess they're gonna have to flood Wickwire field .

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:13 PM

Quote:

It seems like only yesterday that it was new and had just been built.
Hard to figure that houses that are centuries old are still solid, and a building a few decades old has to come down.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth