HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Well - The Jade (the project that replaced the Discovery Centre in the old Zellers Building) opened later than The Roy and it has occupied storefronts on both Barrington and Hollis, which makes me feel like the issue is landlord-based rather than street-based. Not sure what the issue might be, but other spots are not left vacant this long.
Isn't the Roy a Condo? Could it be because of certain condo by-laws/regulations or the condo board?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Isn't the Roy a Condo? Could it be because of certain condo by-laws/regulations or the condo board?
The Roy is a condo building. I don't know enough to know whether it is likely that comes into play. I would imagine it would be a tough sell to tell somebody that in addition to buying a condo, they would then have to work with everyone else in the building to lease the space - I feel like that's a sure way to develop conflict!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The Roy is a condo building. I don't know enough to know whether it is likely that comes into play. I would imagine it would be a tough sell to tell somebody that in addition to buying a condo, they would then have to work with everyone else in the building to lease the space - I feel like that's a sure way to develop conflict!
Generally the commercial spaces would be condo units and it would be up to the owner of the unit to do the leasing, subject to any building bylaws. Bishop's Landing is also a condo but has commercial spaces.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 1:21 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
Great news. There is no place for a drive through on Quinpool going forward.
I agree, in fact a lot of drive thru locations can and should be eliminated. If we want to preach climate change, they're a good start. It's not always about the idling in the drive thru but the back up onto the streets that happens during peak tims...I mean times

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatscat View Post
Great news. There is no place for a drive through on Quinpool going forward.
I kinda thought this would happen.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 3:21 PM

Is the current site to be re-develop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
McDonalds on Quinpool is moving to the ground-floor retail space of the TED next door - will likely lose the drive-thru under current Centre Place rules (AllNS today).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2halifax View Post
Is the current site to be re-develop?
Yes, by Lawen. Don't know what they're proposing.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Yes, by Lawen. Don't know what they're proposing.
This is the proposal for the site

Source:https://dexel.ca/6234-quinpool.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 5:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Funny that it looks like the KFC/Pizza Hut will survive in between the 2 new buildings.

I wonder if anything will be built on the empty lot across the street (former gas station I think).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 7:49 PM

Another low-rise wonder. Disappointing for Quinpool.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Another low-rise wonder. Disappointing for Quinpool.
Agree.. but it will improve the area nonetheless. I do like the retail on Quinpool and Townhouse Style Units on Pepperell approach.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I agree, in fact a lot of drive thru locations can and should be eliminated. If we want to preach climate change, they're a good start. It's not always about the idling in the drive thru but the back up onto the streets that happens during peak tims...I mean times
Macdonalds does over 60% of their total business through the window. It will be interesting if folks give a hoot about Climate change after they can't eat. Mr Trudeau and Guilbault have two years to either change their Climate indulgences tax policy or resign. Or Voters may have a Kathleen Wynne solution in two years.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Macdonalds does over 60% of their total business through the window. It will be interesting if folks give a hoot about Climate change after they can't eat. Mr Trudeau and Guilbault have two years to either change their Climate indulgences tax policy or resign. Or Voters may have a Kathleen Wynne solution in two years.
Well, you can also make the case that if we don't get climate change under control there may not be any food to service people anyway. The fact people can't out of their car to get food always seemed lazy to me.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 12:04 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
The fact people can't out of their car to get food always seemed lazy to me.
Agree. But on the other hand, has the 'drive-thru' in general, helped keep the size of parking lots down?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
And the connection between McDonalds moving to the building next door and the Federal Liberal Party is what exactly?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Well, you can also make the case that if we don't get climate change under control there may not be any food to service people anyway. The fact people can't out of their car to get food always seemed lazy to me.
This discussion seems a little sanctimonious, but getting past that, perhaps the government should just shut down all fast food restaurants, as that stuff isn't healthy for anybody to eat anyhow. Solves the drive-thru problem, and frees-up space for more residential. Maybe there are more things that are wasteful and unnecessary that the government can shut down. Where should the line be drawn?

And how hard is it to make coffee at home and take it with you (unless you're riding a bicycle, I suppose)?

How about all of the waste caused by rapidly changing technology or fashion? How many devices are tossed because we need to rush out to get the latest greatest (on the day of the iphone 15 launch)? How many clothes are tossed because they are no longer in style? How many appliances end up in the landfill or getting recycled because they now only last 7 - 10 years instead of 20 - 25 as they used to? How many devices go in the garbage because they are made to not be serviceable?

Climate change can and should get you looking at everything 'we' (i.e. the planet's population) do, and TBH, should start with somehow curtailing the massive growth rate of the population itself. The more people on the planet trying to live 'the good life', the further into the climate hole we will fall. It's interesting that nobody seems to get that.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Is that for this particular location, or company-wide? With Quinpool urbanizing it makes sense for this to transition to no drive-thru. It seems it's definitely possible, as the SGR location shows no sign of going anywhere.

I always found getting in and out of that drive-thru a royal PITA anyways.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:17 PM

Quote:
"can't eat?"

That's not what's going to happen if we eliminate or reduce the ability to order and receive food without leaving a vehicle.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Is that for this particular location, or company-wide? With Quinpool urbanizing it makes sense for this to transition to no drive-thru. It seems it's definitely possible, as the SGR location shows no sign of going anywhere.

Company wide at least in First world locations. The one major fast food chain that got almost wiped out during Covid was Subway as its an over the counter service chain. Very few drive throughs.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post

The SGR Macdonald's survives due to the High school just up the street. There are over 1400 students at Citadel High now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General