HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:57 AM
Dare Mighty Things

ThatKidFromBoise's Airplane Model Thread...

Hello one and all!

I've been working heavy duty (up to 9 hours a day) on modeling airplanes due to a few breakthroughs I've had with Sketchup over the last week or so. My entire modeling process has changed for the most part, and my efforts have become far more streamlined so I can get maximum detail with minimal file size and ease in design. So I decided to start a thread here to show off new airplanes as I design them, and to get a few opinions on an idea I've been kicking around...

It occured to me that airplane models online are horribly expensive. I can produce a higher quality, more accurate model than many models of the same thing that sell for $100 or even more...so here's my idea:

I'm thinking about setting up a website online where I can sell ultra-high detailed models of aircraft and airport stuff at cheaper prices than any competition. My website would cater to architects, airport designers, and aviation enthusiasts who wish to easily build their own airport (particularly the large crowd that builds scale models of airports). Why this website would be different, and what advantages I have compared to the competition:

1) Models would be relatively inexpensive
2) Models would be more accurate in scale and design
3) Models would be, in many ways, more detailed
4) I could offer a much stronger variety of airplane and airport models than any existing database
5) It'd be the only 3D-modeling website dedicated to aviation
6) As a tie-in to No. 4, I'd aim to offer the entire fleet of almost all US airlines, a feat which I've almost accomplished after a year of modeling

Some things I could sell:

-Airplanes
-Airport terminal parts
-Control Towers
-Ground vehicles
-Lights
-Airport layouts
-Hangars and other airport structures
-etc. etc. etc.

So I'd be a lot like Herpa, or GeminiJets, except instead of die-cast and scale models, I'd be selling virtual models...

All models I've built prior to today, I'll simply call "V1"
All models I've built after today for the purpose of selling, I'll call "V2"
I will not sell any V1 models, including all aircraft I've ever posted here.

Here's the first V2 model, an Airbus A319:

(I like this rendering best)

Admittedly I wasn't ready for any night renderings yet, but I more wanted to test the cabin lighting...I'd give users the option to have lights or no lights for the model. The lighted version would have cabin lights like below, and wing, tail, and various other lights.

Whaddya think? Sellable? Good idea? Bad idea? Any opinions are appreciated!

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Aug 6, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 10:40 AM
Dare Mighty Things

To compare, here are some other aviation 3D models for sale...

http://www.3d-aviation.com/ - they don't actually sell models, they just create models for promotional advertising. They seem successful, and I once inquired at the cost of texturing a model in a livery, and they listed it as anywhere from $3000 to $5000! Yowza! I feel like I could do as good a job as they do if given the rendering and animation tools and time...

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPrevie....cfm/ID/439604
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...irlines/209820
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...fthansa/416870
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...20-taca/412773

These are good models, don't get me wrong, but give me time and I can do better!

But is this just a pie in the sky idea? Am I kidding myself into thinking I could actually make money doing something like this? Lol, tell me if I'm being delusional!!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
Closed account

Looks really nice and all but does this mean you are quitting pierpoint?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:16 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule View Post
Looks really nice and all but does this mean you are quitting pierpoint?
No...I'm still working on Pierpont and will continue to do so. It's not number 1 priority at the moment, but i'm still working on it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:32 PM

you did that plane in sketchup...if you did i thought that first pic was
real...dont know much about selling 3d models...best of luck..

im trying to build a car ...no success..

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 10:51 PM
World Machine

That would be great if you are able to pull off your own business like that.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 10:55 PM
Closed account

So how much are these models?Those look like real airplanes!Nixe job!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 11:38 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Those models are amazing! I'm not sure about the whole selling them though. I've never bought any models from anyone so I really can't help you at that. Plus I'm a cheapskate!

I'd buy one if I had the money though. Those renderings look amazing. I suggest giving a shot to the 787 Dreamliner. I bet you'd be able to sell a model of that baby.

Btw, how do get all the measurements for these models? I can barely get the correct dimensions for a square skyscraper and you pull these amazing models out of your... mind!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 12:38 AM

God damn!! Those are awesome. You really have to show me how you do that

I've never been fond of selling things on the Internet (especially 3d models) but that's just me.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:06 AM

Holy crap! With that first one, i thought you were posting a real pic. Jesus...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 4:34 AM
Dare Mighty Things

New Airplane! A Northwest A320 in the 'bowling shoe' livery, in my opinion one of the most beautiful color schemes on one of my favorite aircraft. Sorry for the graininess in the renderings, I was really excited to see the results and didn't want to wait 2-3 hours per rendering.

Here are photos of a Northwest A320...

Here was the old model that I've been using for a year and a half...

Here is the new model...

Night shot...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 5:05 AM

i can't belive you did those with sketchup.

really awesome work, congrats.
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 8:35 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Thanks bbeliko!

It's honestly not as hard as it looks, it's just about 12 hours worth of extraordinarily tedious work. And granted, I do a LOT of texture modification in Kerkythea. Bumpmaps are a total, total blessing (though they can be a curse if not done right - see second wingshot). But now that I have the airplane done, which was by long and far the hard part, I can churn out the airline liveries quickly. I anticipate that I'll have all the US airlines' Airbus 320 family fleet done by the end of the month.

Anthony

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 8:38 AM

hmmmm give us a quick tutorial

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 9:46 AM
nuttin

first Wow ! It is a good feeling to know that SU is really only limited by time and imagination.

But NO don't sell them cheap ! , why do you want to sell something cheap when you simply don't have to ?

You only get a certain amount of chances in life to succeed, so you have to take every one.
Sell them for what they are worth !

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
Closed account

Yeah sell them for what they are worth.Anyway that is fantastic!I would would have the pwer and time as you do!Great job!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 4:46 PM

Just out of curiosity who do you plan on selling these to? If you plan on selling things sell things people would want first, 747s, A380, small private jets, and ad liverys that people would like. (air force one, Special liverys on airliners, common ones).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 6:46 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Just out of curiosity who do you plan on selling these to? If you plan on selling things sell things people would want first, 747s, A380, small private jets, and ad liverys that people would like. (air force one, Special liverys on airliners, common ones).
Haha, well I have a very concrete idea...a vision of an online business if you will, where I'd be doing something that hasn't entirely been done before. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to the stage yet where I can easily and briefly explain what it is I see myself doing with these models.

So far, of the 'advanced' models, I have the Airbus A319 and Airbus A320. Before I launch, I want to ensure that I have the following aircraft complete with at least a good number of liveries (7+) available:
-Boeing 737 family
-Boeing 757 family
-McDonnell Douglas MD-80/MD-90/717
-Canadair Regional Jet/Embraer Regional Jet

The reason I'm going to build those planes before the 747/380 and such is because I anticipate that by the way I'm going to execute this idea, the above aircraft will be in highest demand since there are such a high percentage of them flying in the skies today.

Basically what I hope to do is provide a cheaper and easier alternative to dreaming and building airports. There are a good number of people who collect die-cast airplane models and set up table-top models of airports in their living rooms, and there are plenty of people who gladly pay through the nose for these models because they're the only way you can easily build an airport.

I want to provide an alternative to that. I want to tap into that market by using Google Sketchup and Kerkythea as a vehicle to build magnificent airports because I truly believe that this method holds a VERY strong advantage over physical airport models that people pay so much for.

Check out wings900.com

You'll see that there are tons of people who participate in this hobby of airport building. I think far more people would partake in it if it were cheaper. That's what I want to do. I want to provide a cheaper and more accessible alternative to these company's models. I won't completely undersell them, but I want to be careful and ensure that I'm catering to more than just architects who are already going to spend over a $150.

Could I charge $150 for the above models and turn a profit? Perhaps, I mean it doesn't cost anything to make em! BUT, could I make more money in the long run if I sold it for, say, $7 a piece? I believe I can, because I'd be opening the doors to an entirely new and untapped market.

So yeah, that's what it is I'm hoping to do...

Anyway, new renderings! US Airways A320 and A319 (click em to view full size)

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 9:54 PM

Ok you definatly know what your doing. BTW if you ever need livery templates for southwest specialty planes I have plenty, lol.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 2:25 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Damn... You're killin it Boise. Those models are so well made, they almost look like real pictures. How do you get the textures to fit right? I mean, all the edges are curves, then the curve curve's around or get bigger or small as it gets longer.

I've never been able to place textures on round edges for some reason.

Also, maybe it's also good to make some 747's and A380's, those airplanes are less in demand maybe but I bet some people who have never seen them or are trying to get renderers/modelers will be interested.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup